InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bane of My Existence ❯ Prologue Part 1: Growing Pains - Each Other ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi.

Summary: Bankotsu has always been the bane of Kagome's existence. He even stole her first kiss! But love has a way of opening up many possibilities.

Pairing: Kagome and Bankotsu

Rating: PG-13

Spoiler: In this fic, three members of the Shichinin-Tai group in later Inuyasha episodes (Jakotsu, Bankotsu, and Suikotsu) are brothers with Jakotsu being the youngest (rather than Bankotsu). I'm using "Shichinin" as their last name.

Author's Note: This AU fic was initially intended to be a prequel to The City by the Bay, but having fallen in love with the Kagome and Bankotsu pairing, I'm writing it both as a prequel and a stand alone piece. There will be two endings to this story.

Thought expressions are indicated by '__'.


BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

By Ericedwyn


Glossary:

'Kaasan - Casual for "OKaasan" which means Mother

'Niisan - Casual for "ONiisan" which means Big Brother

Baka - Stupid, Fool

Obaachan - Informal for "Obaasan" for Grandmother


Prologue Part One: Growing Pains - Each Other

~* Twenty-one years ago *~

Mrs. Shichinin, flanked by two young sons on either side of her, made her way up the shrine steps to the Sakura Temple Compound to retrieve her five year old, Jakotsu. Jak, as he is affectionally called, since becoming best friends with the youngest occupant of the temple compound, has become a permanent fixture at the Higurashi home. After Daycare, he would accompany Kagome and her cousin Kikyou back to the temple compound and stay there until his mother has finished work and has picked up her other children from elementary school.

It was a common occurrence as well, as soon as someone opens the front door of the Higurashi home, for 8 year old Bankotsu, the middle son, to bow in greeting and immediately run inside, climb the stairs two at a time, and barge into Kagome's room without ceremony.

Young Bankotsu Shichinin, however, was not prepared for the scene that lay ahead when he turned the knob of Kagome's bedroom door.

His little brother, Jak, was happily brushing the spun golden hair of a Barbie doll. "Hi, 'Niisan! Isn't she pretty?"

Ban's jaw dropped as his eyes grew as wide. It took him a moment to find his voice back, and he roared when he did. "What are you doing?!?"

The five year olds looked at each other in confusion.

"We're playing with Barbie, baka! Don't you have eyes?" Kagome held up the Barbie doll she just finished dressing in a pink swimsuit. "'Kaasan told me that it's rude to go inside someone's room without knocking first. That means you're rude."

Ban glared at Kagome before snatching the doll from his little brother's hands. He threw it on the ground next to Kagome. "Dolls are for girls! Come on, 'Kaasan and 'Niisan are waiting downstairs."

Jak reached across Kagome to pick up the doll he was playing with and smoothed the hair before standing to face his older brother. Jak smiled and softly responded. "But I like playing with Barbie. It's fun. Right, Kagome?" He asked as he handed the doll to Kagome.

"Uh-huh," Kagome agreed as she stood up. "I don't understand why you say dolls are just for girls. Your G.I.Joe is a doll."

"Is not!" Ban bristled at her words. How could she call his action figure a doll.

"Is too." Kagome retorted while bringing her hands, each clutching a Barbie, to her hips.

Jak, in an attempt to smooth the uneasy situation, interrupted with a big smile aimed at both of them. "It's time for me to go now, Kagome. See ya tomorrow! Come on, 'Niisan." He tugged at his brother's arm.

"Okay." Ban murmured and made to turn away from Kagome to follow his brother.

"Bye, Jak!" Kagome brightened, forgetting the argument already, as she waved a tiny hand. She was about to sit on the floor when...

Ban turned around again and pulled one of Kagome's pigtails.

She cried out in pain and protest.

He fled the room.

She ran after him like a bat out of hell. "You're gonna get it, you big bully!"

The grinning Ban rushed out of the open front door and into the temple courtyard with Kagome hot on his heels. Outside, in the shrine house, a young girl slightly older than Kagome was in meditative prayer. She sighed loudly.

"Kikyou, you must concentrate." Her grandmother, Kaede, admonished.

"It's so hard with those two running and screaming like that, Obaachan. Why can't they be like Sui-kun?" She glanced at the quiet 11 year old boy sitting on the bench under the shade of the Goshinboku, reading a book.

"That shouldn't matter, Kikyou. You must learn to focus so you won't get distracted." Kaede lectured, hoping to get her grandchild back on track.

"Okay, Obaachan." Kikyou acquiesced as she tried to bring herself back into a meditative state. She was doing very well in her task until she was brought out of it again when she heard a "thud," followed by a boy screaming "I'm gonna get you for that, Kagome Higurashi!"

~*~*~*~

~* Fifteen years ago *~

"Man, did you see the new transfer student today?" Ban exclaimed into the mouth piece of the phone. "Yeah, to 2-B. She had a nice rack."

Kagome just happened to have had the misfortune of entering the kitchen of the Shichinin home at that particular moment and overheard the remark. The eleven year old stopped near the teenage boy with long braided hair and glared at him.

"Hold on a sec, Masanori." Fourteen year old Ban covered the mouthpiece with his hand and looked down at her. What do you want, KA-GO-ME?"

"I can't believe you talk about girls like that. It's like you don't respect them at all." Kagome looked at him scornfully.

"Oh, I respect girls who are not you, KA-GO-ME." Ban smirked.

"Stop saying my name like that. You're just doing it to annoy me." Kagome hissed in response.

"You're the one who said you didn't want me to call you anything other than KA-GO-ME."

"I was enunciating each syllable for your benefit, pea brain." Kagome replied sarcastically. "You know... I feel sorry for any girl who is unlucky enough to fall for you." With that remark, she turned on her heels and walked away.

Ban snickered as he watched her leave, rolled his eyes, and continued the conversation he was having before he was interrupted.

~*~*~*~

~* Eleven years ago *~

Kagome unwrapped a strawberry candy chew and popped it into her mouth as she made her way to the Shichinin house for Bankotsu's graduation party. "Isn't this exciting, Kikyou? It's the band's first show. Thank you for filling in for Sango."

Kikyou shrugged as she handed the wrapped box she was carrying to her 15 year old cousin. "Just as long as can I sing way in the back."

"Arigato." Kagome said as she reclaimed the wrapped gift box. She glanced up at her 17-year old cousin. "Oh, by the way, I heard that Sui-kun might make it to the party, Kikyou." Kagome winked at her.

Kikyou tried to look uninterested, but Kagome caught sight of the blush that stole on her cousin's face. "Really..."

"I also heard that he and his girlfriend, Mariya, broke up two weeks ago..." Kagome said leadingly.

"It's really none of my business." Kikyou responded in a flat voice.

Kagome just smiled. "Well, I just thought you'd like to know." She started to hum one of the songs her band is performing that night.

~*~

Meanwhile, at the party, Ban had a brief discussion with his three closest friends.

"Okay. Sakura said she will be here at 5:30 p.m." Eighteen year old Ban glanced at the clock on the wall nearby. "In ten minutes. I better go inside the closet now. As soon as she gets here, just send her my way, okay?" He grinned at his friends.

"Will do, Ban." Masanori responded with a grin.

"Don't be skimpy with the time, okay?" Ban reminded them.

"You know the rules, Ban." Kenjiro, the tallest of the group, laughed. "Only five minutes. More than that and you may be forced to marry the girl." The rest laughed with him.

Ban glanced at the clock again. "I'll go in now. Wish me luck!" He wiggled his eyebrows before disappearing inside the hallway closet nearby.

Kenjiro glanced at the door as more people filed into the house. He nudged Masanori when Kagome and Kikyou entered through the front door. "I have a great idea, guys." He pointed at the newcomers. "This is probably the last time we can get back at Ban for all those tricks he played on us."

A slow grin formed on Masanori's face. "You have an evil mind, Ken. Let's do it."

"Let's do what?" The fourth member of the group finally spoke up.

Masanori and Kenjiro looked at each other and then at Shin. "We'll explain later, Shin. Why don't you bring Kagome here, okay?"

"Okay." Shin said unquestioningly before making his way through the slightly crowded living room.

"I'll stand by the closet and open the door for you. Just lead her there, okay?" Kenjiro said with a wicked grin as he walked away.

Masanori smiled and nodded. 'This is gonna be good.' He leaned back against the wall as he waited for Shin and Kagome to approach him. "Hey, Kagome." He gave the cute teenager a charming smile. He liked Kagome and thought she was okay despite the antagonistic relationship Ban had with her. However, this was something he could not pass up.

"Hi, Masanori. Do you know where Ban is? I wanted to give him his present." Kagome asked with a smile, still holding the big package in her hands.

"I'm sure he's around somewhere. Here, let me get that." Masanori took the package from her hands and handed it to Shin. He took her elbow in his hand and led her near the closet where Ban is waiting. "Let me get your coat for you." He smiled.

Kagome smiled. "Arigato, Masanori," she said as she turned her back to him.

Masanori inclined his head to one side and gestured to Kenjiro that he was ready.

Kenjiro, who was leaning against the wall next to the closet door, took a sip of his drink and waved at Kagome, who waved back. "Let me get the door for you." He placed his hand on the knob.

As soon as the warm coat was completely off of Kagome, Kenjiro yanked the closet door open. Masanori pushed the unsuspecting teenager inside the closet and both boys closed the door behind her.

Kagome cried out as she was propelled inside the small dark room and fell awkwardly, landing half-sprawled, half straddling against a seated person. She was about to push herself away when she felt strong arms around her shoulders and the warm, minty breath against her cheek. Kagome gasped but didn't have time to react further when she felt soft lips pressed against hers.

Ban had been ready and waiting, sitting on a chair he had placed inside the closet before the party began. When the door opened, he briefly closed his eyes against the bright light from the outside but opened his arms. When he felt the soft body fall against him, he shifted a little and reached for "Sakura" so that she could sit astride him.

As soon as the door closed, he was assaulted by the sweet scent of lavender flowers. 'I didn't know Sakura wore this kind of fragrance. It's much better than the stuff she usually wears.'

The young man closed his arms around the young woman's shoulders as he leaned in to again inhale "Sakura's" scent. His lips grazed against her cheek and a light scent of strawberry reached his olfactory senses. His mouth curled into a smile before he pressed his lips against hers.

Kagome's eyes grew wide in mild shock, but inched closed as her lips were gently caressed. She felt her cheeks grow warm as her bottom lip was softly taken by the unknown kisser's lips. 'This is how a kiss feels like…?'

Ban closed his eyes and captured the young woman's bottom lip with his. He gently sucked on it before releasing it for its upper twin. He smiled inside when he felt her lean forward against him.

He reached up with one hand and cradled the back her head. He ran the tip of his tongue between her upper and lower lip… seeking entrance.

Kagome felt his tongue over her lips and gasped. When she did, she felt it slip in slowly inside her mouth. She fell into unfamiliar territory, yet she felt a thrill starting to build inside of her. She slowly moved her hands from his shoulders and entwined her arms around his neck.

Ban slipped his tongue inside when he felt her lips part. He slowly ran it over hers then brushed it against the side of her mouth. He explored the roof of her mouth with a soft caress before sliding it over her tongue once more. She tasted of strawberries.

Kagome didn't know what to do, but allowed him to delve into her mouth. After the kisser ran his tongue against the side of her mouth, she brushed the tip of hers against the length of his. She felt him tighten his fingers against her hair at the back of her head.

Ban felt a surge of triumph when he felt "Sakura" respond. He really didn't think it would take as long as it did. To him, Sakura had come across as worldly when she flirted with him outrageously at school, but during the kiss, he felt her hesitancy and inexperience. Maybe he got her all wrong.

He squeezed "Sakura's" shoulder and inched his fingers down her side. His thumb brushed against the side of "Sakura's" ample breast. His hand stilled. 'But Sakura is not big up there…'

Kagome felt her kisser become still. A millisecond later, she heard the knob of the door turning behind her and took the opportunity to break the kiss and scramble off of her kisser's lap.

Ban's eyes grew wide in shock when the door opened to reveal some light. The young woman he was kissing blocked most of it, but he could clearly see the person who stood there. It wasn't Sakura.

Kagome shielded her eyes from the bright light when the door opened, but did not close them. She needed to know the identity of her kisser, but what she was not prepared to see was the face of the bane of her existence. She brought her hand to her mouth in shock before running out of the closet.

'Kagome…' He blankly stared after her, not even attending when Masanori yanked him out of the closet. He heard his friends' laughter around him, but all he could think of was Kagome and their shared kiss.

For nearly eleven years, he and Kagome have had a dog-cat type relationship. He always found ways to annoy and aggravate her, and she reacted adversely each time. In truth, he had a lot of fun riling her, but he has never done anything beyond teasing. But this wasn't one of his plots. He would never have done anything like this to her, and deep down he knew that she will hate him for it.

But for the first time in his life, he didn't want her to.


format revision Jan. 2004