InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bane of My Existence ❯ Prologue Part 2: Payback ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. I've used a number of songs that Kagome and her circle, "wrote" and "performed." I chose songs that these "teens" would write. In reality, they were written by/for and performed by the following artists:

Bring the House Down - S Club 7
Sugar Rush - A* Teens
Love is Leaving - BBMak
You Set Me Free - Michelle Branch
The Color of Blue - S Club 7

I didn't use all of the words to the songs, such as not including the words to the chorus once it already appeared.

Summary: Bankotsu has always been the bane of Kagome's existence. He even stole her first kiss! But love has a way of opening up many possibilities.

Pairing: Kagome and Bankotsu

Rating: PG-13

Spoiler: In this fic, three members of the Shichinin-Tai group in later Inuyasha episodes (Jakotsu, Bankotsu, and Suikotsu) are brothers with Jakotsu being the youngest (rather than Bankotsu). I'm using "Shichinin" as their last name.

Author's Note: This AU fic was initially intended to be a prequel to The City by the Bay, but having fallen in love with the Kagome and Bankotsu pairing, I'm writing it both as a prequel and a stand alone piece. There will be two endings to this story.

Thank you to Ria, Sess9, Kurayami de, Chi Hogosha Kon, Divine Discontent, Silver Phoenix, Sissi, and especially Kain-chan who reviewed in two places.

Thought expressions are indicated by '__'.


BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

By Ericedwyn


Glossary:
'Niisan - Informal for big brother
Arigato - Thank you
Doushite - Why
Gomen nasai - I'm sorry
Iie - No
Konban wa - Good evening
Minna-san - Everyone
Nani - What
Ofuda - Charms
Onegai - Please
Torii - Shrine gate


Prologue Part Two: Payback

~*Eleven years ago, during Bankotsu's party *~

An appalled Kagome snaked through the crowd, desperately increasing the distance between herself and Bankotsu. Her lips tingled against her fingers, and she shook her head to deter the memory of Ban's warm soft lips, of the strength she found when she was held in his arms, and the gentle, explorative kiss he bestowed upon her from replaying in her mind again and again.

Her searching eyes found her best friend, Jak, who glanced up from setting up the microphone stand when she neared. The look on her face caused him to let go of the top part of the mike and it slid down the hollow bottom in a loud, scratching noise. He took the two steps needed to meet her and he grabbed her arms to stop her from colliding with him as his dark brown eyes searched her dark blue ones. "What's wrong, Kagome?"

Kagome was about to open her mouth when she caught the glances of the guests nearby. "Let's go somewhere private, onegai?" She said in a near whisper he had to incline his head to hear.

Jak nodded briefly and led her upstairs. When they reach his bedroom, he bid her enter before shutting the door behind them. He took her hands in both of his before doing the same with his eyes. His concern was apparent from the expression on his face, and only fostered when she failed to speak right away. "Kagome?" He asked as he tightened the hold he had on her hands.

"Ban kissed me, Jak." She said after taking a deep breath.

"Nani? Doushite?" The concern on Jak's face quickly turned into a frown.

"I don't know. Masanori and Ken shoved me in the closet and Ban kissed me." Kagome explained wide eyed.

'The closet? But…' Then it finally dawned on him, and his lips curled up into an apologetic smile. "Kagome, I think you were both tricked by Masanori and Ken. That kiss was meant for Sakura Kino. 'Niisan told me that earlier today when I asked him why he was putting a chair in the closet."

"Oh!" A deep blush stained her cheeks from embarrassment and it flamed ruddier as the young lady's anger rose. "What a despicable thing to do!" Kagome nearly screamed.

Jak watched his friend start to pace with her arms straight and tense at her side. He could see the white of her knuckles as she made tight fists. "I don't think 'Niisan had anything to do with it, Kagome…" He tried to explain, hoping that he could protect his big brother from what seemed like a gross misunderstanding. "Come on, take a deeeeep breath." He said as he embraced the rigid girl from behind. The tiny petite girl looked like she was harboring 4 times her body size in pent up pressure, and she was ready to blow.

Kagome met Jak's eyes from the reflection of the mirror and nodded. She took several deep breaths to calm herself down, but her face still maintained a heightened color. "Oh Jak…" She said suddenly, a look of sadness settled on her face. "He stole my first kiss."

Jak held her tighter and settled his chin on the top of her head. Last year the very act would have been a great feat, but he has had the pleasure of dealing with a much awaited, however awkward, growth spurt. "Was it bad?" He cooed, hoping to ease more of the tension Kagome is still harboring.

Kagome looked down at the floor, and blushed again. "No, it wasn't bad. It was a very nice kiss." Then suddenly she looked up. "But I was saving my first kiss for that special someone, Jak."

"Gomen nasai, Kagome." He smiled a little. "For what it's worth, Kagome, at least you had a nice experience. Remember mine?" He rolled his eyes. "She tasted like what I think batteries would taste like." He grimaced.

Kagome wrapped her arms around her friend's and her look softened as her gaze fell on his face. She was about to open her mouth to say something when the door burst open. Both jumped a little, and saw Ban's reflection.

Ban knew after seeing the pair that he should have knocked first. He chastised himself, but whenever it came to Kagome, sometimes he couldn't control his actions. It suddenly felt odd seeing his brother and his brother's best friend in such close embrace. They have always been close, but he can't describe why it just didn't seem right for them to hold each other like that. Especially since his little brother had confessed a few months earlier that he preferred boys to girls.

No one else knew that, except probably his brother's closest friends and Suikotsu. 'Is Kagome changing that?' In the awkward silence, he felt two pairs of eyes pierce him and he cleared his throat. "I… uh…"

"I've been looking for you guys everywhere! It's time for us to sing." Nobu interrupted, waving from behind Ban. "Hey, Ban." He smiled. "Congratulations!" He held out his hand.

Ban turned and shook the younger teenager's hand. "Arigato, Nobu."

"Come on, guys! Let's get this party started!" Nobu exclaimed dragging Ban and the others out of the room.

Ban glanced behind him, trying to catch Kagome's eye but she was whispering to Jak. He would have to try to catch her in private later.

Downstairs, a crowd was assembled in front of the makeshift stage in the family room. Three guitars, a keyboard, and a drum set sat waiting for the band. The crowd cheered and applauded when Ban and the rest appeared at the bottom of the staircase. Many of his friends patted Ban on the back in congratulations.

Kagome jogged to the middle mike stand but did not pick up the guitar that sat nearby. Hojo and Jak picked up their respective guitars, while Kikyou moved in behind the keyboard. Nobu slid onto the seat behind the drum set and twirled the drumsticks in his hand. Jak gestured for the others to turn on the mikes, and he tapped his lightly to get everyone's attention.

"Konban wa, Minna-san. Arigato for coming to celebrate my brother's graduation. Arigato, 'Niisan, for letting us play at your party. Our band's name is Full Circle, and this is our very first performance, but the good news is that our music was picked up by a recording company and we will be recording our own album in about three months. We hope that you enjoy our music and performance this evening and buy our album." Jak bowed to the crowd, and the guests cheered them on, with Ban leading in the front.

"Ichi, ni, ichi, ni, san." Nobu counted, and they began to play the first song, Bring the House Down.

"Oooo… yeah… Ohh. Oh… yeah!" Kagome, the main front person, cooed when the music began. Since her hands were free during the first song, she led the crowd to clap in rhythm with the music. Her short skirt swayed with her hips as she stepped from side to side, to some of the male guests' enjoyment.

Ban watched the front woman as he nodded his head to the music. His little brother, on the other hand, had taken to observing his brother.

Kagome grabbed the mike along with the stand as she began to sing.

*~*
As the night draws in, let
the game begin
It's a groove thing
*~*

Kagome smiled hugely at Jak to her left who returned hers with equal force.

*~*
Let your feet decide, gonna catch a ride
Keep on movin'
*~*

She gestured to one of the male guests in the front.

*~*
So let's go away
The mood can't be that hard to reach
The night will just take us there

And all you gotta do is
All you gotta do is
*~*

Kagome sidled next to Hojo to her right and followed his body movements to the music as they all sang the chorus.

*~*
Bring the house down
Raise the roof and get on the floor
(House down, raise the roof and get on the floor)
Let's bring the house down
Really wanna hear you shouting more, more, more
Really wanna hear some more
*~*

Kagome walked back to the middle and pointed at another one of Ban's classmates; All the while avoiding eye contact with the bane of her existence and his closest friends.

*~*
You stay in bed, with a sleepy head
Doing nothing
You can always try, just to walk on but
It will pull you in
*~*

She noticed a young lady make her way to stand next to Ban. From the corner of her eye, she saw Sakura Kino pat Ban on the arm. Kagome turned her attention to the guests standing by Jak.

*~*
We're flying away
We fall into this fantasy
Where the groove will carry us on

And all we gotta do is
All we gotta do is
*~*

Kagome sidled up next to Jak as they sang the chorus together using his mike. Then she turned so that they were back to back as they sang the next part. All except Kikyou and Nobu, who had to hold up the song, raised their arms to clap in the air over their heads for the part.

*~*
Everybody do your thing
Let's bring the house down
Everybody spread your wings
Let's bring the house down
*~*

Kagome made her way back to the middle as the group sang the chorus together… closing the first song. She grabbed her guitar and adjusted the strap over her shoulder, while Nobu and Hojo switched instruments. A few moments later, with a nod from Nobu to Kikyou, the second one, Sugar Rush, began with a keyboard entrance by Kagome's cousin.

Kagome tapped her foot to the music while she strummed her guitar. She closed her eyes as she sang the first few lines.

*~*
I get a high whenever
you're around
Sweeping from my head to my toes
I gotta get my feet back on the ground
*~*

The young lady opened her eyes and looked out into the crowd. She had felt Ban's eyes on her since they began performing, and she was beginning to feel self-conscious of herself. She intentionally avoided looking at Ban; although the music subconsciously reminded her briefly of the sweet kiss they shared earlier.

*~*
cuz you make me go out of my way
crossing the line making me say what I have in mind
*~*

Jak arched an eyebrow as he watched his older brother continue to watch his best friend. Deep down, he unearthed a secret wish buried deep within his heart of his brother and his best friend getting together. He had always wanted Kagome for his sister. The thought brought a smile to his lips while he sang the chorus with the rest of the band.

*~*
You make me so excited
And I don't wanna fight it
I start to blush
You are my sugar rush
Ain't nothing better baby
Is it for real or maybe?
I start to blush
You are my sugar rush
*~*

Nobu turned to look at Kagome as he began to sing the next part, while continuing to strum his guitar. Kagome gave him a huge smile. She missed seeing Ban turn to watch the interaction between her and Nobu, but Jak did not.

*~*
I got a sweet and fine taste for you
It might be too obvious but
I can't help myself from what I do
*~*

Jak grinned inside when Sakura glanced up at his brother, then glanced at Kagome, then Nobu, then back at his brother. 'This is like watching a tennis game.'

*~*
cuz you make me go out of my way
crossing the line
making me say what I have in mind
*~*

The band sang the chorus together, with Kagome and Nobu still singing to each other. And they ended the song like so.

*~*
Baby you're my sugar rush
I get weak and talk too much
You're the sweetest thing I ever tasted
Baby you're my sugar rush
I get weak and talk too much

You are my sugar rush
*~ *

The crowd cheered when the song ended. Jak grinned and asked "You want more?" The crowd cheered even louder with a lot of "Hai!" and "Yeah!" The fifteen year old inclined his head towards his band members, and Kagome and Nobu switched places and guitars.

Kagome waited for Nobu to sing the first few words of Love is Leaving before her fingers thrummed the guitar strings. They smiled at each other, remembering how hard Kagome had practiced the piece because she would mistakenly place her fingers on the wrong place for one of the chords.

*~*
There were times I knew
But I found it hard to say
You were special in my life
Never thought you'd go away
I'll be strong, I'll get by
Without you in my life
I can see through your lies
Did you ever love me
I never found your love...
*~*

Kagome bit her lip in concentration, avoiding all eye contact. She was determined to get it right. She almost made a mistake when she lent her voice to the background vocals.

*~*
You and I know
Love is leaving
And you don't want me anymore
Why should I even try
You and I know
Love is leaving
Now you're the last thing on my mind
Someone else I will find
A memory I've left behind
*~*

Jak sang the next section with a smile. He and Nobu divvied up the male parts to most of the songs and are the male front singers of the group. Each had wanted to sing all the male leads and they almost ended up in a major fist fight. Sango put a stop to that immediately. Jak turned his thoughts on his other best friend, Sango, who should be playing with them right now. But she just recently moved to the United States.

*~*
If I ever made you cry
Any reason I can't find
It was lonely by your side
Like a fool I stood by you
I'll be strong, I'll get by
Without you in my life
I can see through your lies
Did you ever love me
I never found your love...
*~*

Kikyou sang the chorus with the rest of the band. The last few weeks practicing with the band had been some of the best experiences in her life. She has never made friends easily at school. Many people have viewed her as stuck up and unapproachable. She was able to see the dynamics of her cousin's circle of friends and have experienced the closeness they shared first hand. She had one more year of high school left. 'I will try to make friends this time…'

*~*
Is there something I could do
Is there something I should say
Is there someone else to keep me from the night
*~*

Hojo happily played the drums in the back. He didn't mind the others having the spotlight. He'd rather be the backbone of the band. As he sang the last chorus of the song with his friends, the fifteen year old did it with a huge smile. Mostly because he found out earlier today from his mother's friend, who worked for the School Superintendent, that all of them, except for Sango who will finish High School in the United States, are in the same homeroom at Tokyo High.

The band played two more songs, before resting for ten minutes. Each of them were swooped up by new fans who wanted to know more about the album they will be making or just to comment on their music and singing.

Ban tried to get near Kagome or Jak, but the crowd and Sakura, who kept herself next to him the whole time, made it impossible.

After the short break, the band took up their instruments and played a few more songs. Each band member getting more and more into their act as the crowd validated their performance. Before the last two songs began, Kagome smiled at the crowd and said a few words.

"Speaking for the entire band, we would like to thank you for your cheers and support. I think this has been the best time of our lives. Arigato." Kagome said, and the band joined her as she bowed to the crowd.

Kagome shifted the guitar with her hand. She waited for Nobu to tap the edge of his drum to count off, and her guitar joined Kikyou's keyboard for the intro to You Set Me Free.

*~*
Can't you see?
There's a feeling that's come over me
Close my eyes
You're the only one that leaves me

Completely breathless
*~*

Kagome had glanced down as she fingered the strings of her guitar, and when she looked up, she almost faltered when her eyes met Ban's.

*~*
No need to wonder why
Sometimes a gift like this you can't deny
*~*

Ban held Kagome's gaze before she broke it. He watched as a pink tinge settled on her cheeks as she looked away. The memory of her scent floated to the foreground of his mind, and he held his breath, as his memory took him to a field of lavender.

*~*
'Cause I wanted to fly,
So you gave me your wings
And time held its breath so I could see,
Yeah
And you set me free
*~*

Jak smiled as he glanced at his brother. He looked up, a little while later, just in time to see his older brother, Suikotsu, enter the family room and settle himself near the doorway. He almost reached up to wave, but remembered he was playing the guitar when the pick almost slipped from between the fingers of his right hand.

*~*
There's a will
There's a way
Sometimes words just can't explain
This is real
I'm afraid
I guess this time there's just no hiding,
Fighting
You make me restless
*~*

Kagome closed her eyes and titled her head down a little as she concentrated on her guitar and the words to the next section. A few tresses of her raven black air swept against her cheek. Ban suddenly felt compelled to brush them away from her face. He questioned why.

*~*
You're in my heart
The only light that shines
There in the dark
*~*

Twenty-one year old Suikotsu, just home from his fourth year of college, tapped his foot to the rhythm of the music. He felt a little pang of disappointment for missing the beginning of the song. He flew inside the house from his car outside without retrieving his luggage just so he wouldn't miss the rest of the band's performance. He gave Jak a big thumb's up. 'They're really good.'

*~*
'Cause I wanted to fly,
So you gave me your wings
And time held its breath so I could see,
Yeah
And you set me free
*~*

Kagome joined Jak on his side of the stage and sang the next section to him. Jak gave her the look of adoration that was only reserved for his #1 bestfriend, all the while watching Ban's reaction from the corner of his eye. He wasn't disappointed.

*~*
When I was alone
You came around
When I was down
You pulled me through
And there's nothing that
I wouldn't do for you
*~*

Kagome stayed with Jak as they sang the last of the chorus with the band, sharing one microphone. Most of the people they went to school with have thought that the two teenagers were more than just friends. They are… Best friends. But with Jak's realization that he was a sexual minority, that he preferred the male species, and with the Japanese Society, and the school district for that matter, not yet ready for that, they have fueled the rumor with their closeness.

For Jak, it was for his physical safety. He has never acted on his sexual preference yet, and he didn't feel safe doing so even if he did find someone who was like him.

For Kagome, if was for her heart's protection. She was afraid to fall in love. Afraid of the same heartache she had watched her mom continue to deal with since her father's death a few years back.

Aside for Kagome, only the circle of friends and Jak's two full brothers know of Jak's secret. And the secret will remain thus until he was ready to come out of the closet.

*~*
'Cause I wanted to fly,
So you gave me your wings
And time held its breath so I could see,
Yeah
*~*

Kagome smiled at Jak as she sang the last words to him.

*~*
And you set me free
*~*

Kagome walked over to her mike at the middle front of the stage. "This last song…" She began, and the crowd started to cry out in dismay. She braced the guitar with one hand as she turned to glance at each member of the band with a huge smile. She gestured for the crowd to quiet down with her arms. "This last song is called The Color of Blue."

"Ooo… yeah." Kagome closed her eyes. "Ooo…yeah."

*~*
I have always wondered
How it can be done, to pick the one
Who's gonna be my lover for life, my baby
Be there to hold me through the night
*~*

Kagome opened her eyes to sing to Sakura and some of the girls near her.

*~*
When it happens you can see it in his eyes
They tell no lies, brighter than the sky in July, my baby
Cooler than anyone I've known
*~*

Jak and Nobu joined to sandwich Kagome at the middle mike and to sing the background vocals of the chorus.

*~*
The colour of blue
Reminds me of you
I never see grey, green, black
You're true
The colour of blue
No other will do
In my heart I only feel
The colour of blue
*~*

Kagome began to sing her solo as Jak and Nobu drifted back to their side of the stage. She continued to sway to the music while she fingered her guitar. She looked up to smile at Sui and allowed her gaze to fall to members of the crowd. She felt ecstatic. She felt good about all the songs they played. 'If only Sango was here with us too. Then it would be perfect.'

*~*
I say, If you ever felt the way I do, then lucky you
So never go for less than a perfect thing
Seek and then hopefully you'll find
There's a rhythm and a rhyme, you've gotta find it
Then you'll see
Cos baby, we can go on all night, just dancing
Doin' it till the break of dawn
*~*

Nobu winked at an older teenage girl by his side of the stage. The fifteen year old heart breaker grinned as the young lady smiled shyly back at him. He couldn't wait until after the performance. He loved his fans!

Kikyou snatched glances at Suikotsu from behind the keyboard, glad that he was oblivious to what she was doing. She has had a crush on Sui-kun for as long as she could remember, and unfortunately for her, Kagome picked up on that very early on. It had taken many candy bribes and many rides to school and the shopping center to keep her cousin from spilling the secret.

*~*
In the rainbow I can see, colours of misbelief
There is only one for me, and it will forever be
*~*

Kikyou thought how the words her cousin just sang were so appropriate. She sighed. She didn't have the courage, and probably never will, to tell Sui-kun. Even now that he was available again… and now that she was no longer a gangly girl.

*~*
The colour of blue
Reminds me of you
I never see grey, green, black
You're true
The colour of blue
No other will do
In my heart I only feel
The colour of blue
*~*

With the last note, the band members, each sporting a huge grin, bowed low to their new found fans.

~*~*~*~

~* Later that night, just before 10 p.m. *~

"Hey Jak. I'm gonna head back home." Kagome yawned as she hugged her best friend and kissed his cheek. "I promised Shippou-chan that I will tuck him in. He is probably still waiting up for me."

"Okay, but I'll walk with you." Jak hugged her back.

"Iie. It's only three blocks away, plus you still have a lot of guests. Besides, our Moms probably want to know how we did, since Ban "banned" them from being at your house during the party." Kagome grinned.

"That was a really bad pun, Kagome." Jak gave in. "Alright, but call as soon as you get there, okay?"

"I will. Say "bye" to Nobu and Hojo for me. I don't know where they are." She began as she started to walk away. "Oh yeah!" She ran back to him. "Can you get Sui-kun to bring Kikyou home when he leaves to pick up your Mom from my house?" She winked at him conspiratorially.

Jak chuckled. "You have no shame, Kagome. But I'll ask him."

Kagome waved as she went to the next room to look for her jacket. She found it amidst a pile of other coats in the living room.

Ban entered the living room, just having successfully evaded Sakura in her slightly drunken state. She had annoyed him most of the night when she had made it her mission to cling at his side. He saw Kagome slip into her coat and leave through the front door.

He backtracked to the closet, a flash of the memory of their kiss played in his mind, as he reached for his coat. He put it on as he rushed out of the door to catch up with her.

"Kagome!" He called out in the cold night air.

Kagome turned at the sound of his voice. "Oh great!" She said beneath her breath and picked up her pace.

"Hey, wait!" Ban said as he reached out to grab her sleeve.

Kagome stopped but looked away.

"About earlier… I… uh…" Ban began before releasing her sleeve from his fist. "Gomen nasai, Kagome." He said as he bowed before her.

Kagome was speechless. Ban has never apologized to her in all the years she has known him. She gawked at him.

Ban waited a few seconds for her reply, any reply. When she did not, he straightened himself. "Kagome, I meant it. Say something, onegai."

Well, since he asked. Kagome continued to stay quiet, just for the heck of it.

"Look, I'll do anything, if you will just say you accept my apology." Ban searched her dark blue eyes.

"Anything?" She asked, a glint of mischief suddenly appeared in her eyes.

Ban suddenly looked a little uncomfortable after seeing the look in her eyes and the way she phrased her question. "Er…" He felt compelled to step back and even run away.

~*~*~*~

~* Sakura Temple Compound, a week later *~

The sound of metal pounding against metal can be heard escaping from the other side of the Torii gate of the Temple Compound. It was nearly the beginning of Spring, and the occupants of the Temple Compound were getting the Shrine ready for the upcoming Cherry Blossoms Festival. Most of the volunteers were back to help tend to the garden, repaint the gate and the Shrine House, and help with other renovations. This year, a young man joined them, and he was presently building the new doors of the well house.

In a small store just outside the Shrine House, two young women were laying out the different ofudas on the counter. Kikyou fingered one of the Shikon no Tama charms and wiped it with a soft cloth as she looked outside at the young man hammering away. "How did you manage to get Ban to help us this year?"

Kagome glanced outside from wiping the dust from her set of Shikon no Tama ofudas. She watched as the light of the bright sun played against the young man's rippling muscles, underneath the tank top, as he worked. "He's paying me back for getting me into an awkward situation."

"Goodness, what did he do? He's been at your beck and call for a week!"

"I'd rather not say, but this is his last stint. He's free after today." She giggled a little loudly.

Ban heard Kagome giggle from the store nearby. He had been positioning himself so that she could get a great view of the muscles he has been working on for nearly a year. 'Why is she giggling?' He frowned.

Ever since the kiss, his dreams, both daytime and nighttime, have been filled with her image, her scent, and the strawberry sweetness he could still taste in his mouth. The time he had spent with her during the last week had been a bittersweet experience. She never gave any indication that she mirrored his growing attachment to her. In fact, as he recalled, she seemed a little cooler than usual. 'Was our kiss that easily forgettable to her?'

He turned his attentions to the issuer of the sniggle and cursed when his hammer hit his thumb. "Ow!" He cried out and popped his thumb into his mouth. He scowled and glared at the direction of the store when he heard muffled laughter from the two occupants. 'Why do I even bother? She's still just a little brat. The best thing I can do is to just forget about that damn kiss and her!'

'The sooner, the better…'


Format revision Jan. 2004