InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bane of My Existence ❯ Prologue Part 3: Pink Bunnies ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. The song excerpts are taken from "Baby One More Time", as performed by Britney Spears. I do not own Hello Kitty.

Summary: Bankotsu has always been the bane of Kagome's existence. He even stole her first kiss! But love has a way of opening up many possibilities.

Pairing: Kagome and Bankotsu

Rating: PG-13

Spoiler: In this fic, three members of the Shichinin-Tai group in later Inuyasha episodes (Jakotsu, Bankotsu, and Suikotsu) are brothers with Jakotsu being the youngest (rather than Bankotsu). I'm using "Shichinin" as their last name.

Author's Note: This AU fic was initially intended to be a prequel to The City by the Bay, but having fallen in love with the Kagome and Bankotsu pairing, I'm writing it both as a prequel and a stand alone piece. There will be two endings to this story.

This prologue is dedicated to Nankinmai. Sorry about ADSALAD.

Thought expressions are indicated by '__'.


BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

By Ericedwyn


Glossary:
'Jiisan - Grandpa
'Neechan - Big Sis (Informal; Kids use this term in Japan for older female friends who are like sisters to them)
Arigato - Thank you
Kami-sama - God
Kawaii - Cute
Koi - They're like large goldfish
Kon'ban'wa - Good Evening
Sans - French term for "without"
Shimatta - Damn it


Prologue Part Three: Pink Bunnies

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*Nine years ago *~

Senior Kagome Higurashi grinned hugely at her reflection in the full-length mirror as she slipped the first two and last buttons out of their slits and double knotted the front of her white shirt, just above her innie. She arched one dark eyebrow as she took in the two braided pigtails with light blue fuzzy scrunchies, her school shirt above her short, dark blue pleated skirt, her white socks that reach just above the knees, and her serviceable black shoes. She pressed down on the play button of her Hello Kitty CD player and grabbed her hairbrush from the dresser.

She turned around to face her audience and started to lip synch to the song that boomed out.

*~*
Oh Baby, Baby…
*~*

She fought the urge to laugh when she heard a giggle from her bed. She tried not to look at the occupant's big, green eyes for fear of losing it.

*~*
Oh Baby, Baby…
*~*

She struck a pose, like a full-blown Diva, while sucking in her cheeks at the same time. She grinned as she received more snickering from her audience, who was nearly jumping on her bed.

*~*
Oh Baby, Baby…
How was I suppose to know
That something wasn't right here
*~*

She rushed to the bed and grasped six year old Shippou by his arms dramatically. He squealed in delight at his cousin's antics.

*~*
Oh Baby, Baby…
I shouldn't have let you go
*~*

The seventeen year old released the little boy and turned around. She inclined her head to one side and covered her view with the back of her arm.

*~*
And now you're out of sight… yeah
*~*

She turned around and slid down the carpeted floor, grimacing a little. Her efforts at being ridiculous may have skinned her knees, despite the longish socks she was wearing. She clasped her hands together and gave Shippou her best puppy dog eyes.

*~*
Show me how you want it to be
Tell me, Baby
'Cause I need to know now what we've got
*~*

Kagome laid her arm against her forehead, closing her eyes. She pretended to look dramatically hopeless.

*~*
My loneliness is killing me and I
I must confess, I still believe
*~*

The young lady drew circles next to her head with the index finger of each hand.

*~*
When I'm not with you I lose my mind
Give me a sign
Hit me baby one more time
*~*

Shippou lost it and fell down on his rump on the bed and into a giggle fit.

Kagome took one of Shippou's hands and curled it into a tiny fist. She gave herself a mock upper cut with it, released his hand, and slumped to the floor for a KO.

Shippou crawled to the edge of the bed and peered down at his cousin. He suddenly squeaked when Kagome sat up and pounced him, tickling him ferociously. Kagome caught the giggle bug herself and joined her cousin.

"S-S-Stop it, 'Neechan!" The little boy shrilled, twisting and gasping for air.

"No way." Kagome laughed evilly and tickled him more.

"Boy, was I glad when he was born." Souta laughed, watching his sister and cousin from the doorway.

Kagome glanced his way. "You're next, buddy!"

"Noway'Jiisanwantsyouhe'sinthekitchen." Nine-year old Souta screeched while he made himself scarce.

Kagome sighed and let the squirming, tortured little boy go. She shook her head when Shippou couldn't stop his high-pitch titter. Kagome reached down and pinched his pink cheeks softly. "You are just so kawaii!"

Shippou only giggled in response.

The seventeen year old smoothed the back of her skirt, which had a habit of folding up at the hem. "I guess I better go see 'Jiisan. Better go to your room and start your homework, Shippou-chan, or it's tickle time for you!" Kagome watched her cousin slide off her bed and dash out of her room with an "OK". She turned off the CD player before leaving.

Kagome skipped all the way down the staircase and headed for the kitchen. "Hi, 'Jiisan."

"Ah, Kagome." Jeiji took one look at his grandchild and shook his head disapprovingly at her attire. 'Young girls these days. They show too much skin…'

"I need you to take this package to Myouga, Kagome. He is at his Tokyo office." Jeiji patted the small package wrapped in brown paper sitting on the kitchen table.

"Okay. I can drop it off on my way to school tomorrow, 'Jiisan." Kagome smiled as she picked it up.

"I'm afraid it can't wait until then. Myouga is leaving for the USA tonight at 6:30." Jeiji said with an apologetic smile. "Can you please take it to him right now?"

Kagome groaned inwardly, but acquiesced, despite the fact that she really didn't want to do it. "Okay, 'Jiisan. I'll just get my bag…" The young woman turned and trudged back up the staircase to her room sans the bounce she had when she first came down. 'Man… this sucks…' She glanced down at the package under her left arm with a grimace.

She entered her bedroom and grabbed her tiny, black leather backpack off her desk. She glanced down at her alarm clock. '5:30 p.m. I can catch the 5:35 bus if I hurry.' Kagome raced down the stairs and passed by her grandfather who had just started to boil some water. "I'll be going now, 'Jiisan."

"Arigato, Kagome."

Kagome didn't hear his response as she was already halfway down the stairs that lead up to the Temple Compound. Kagome peered down at her watch. It read 5:32 p.m. She began to run faster, clutching the package tightly against her ample chest.

She heard the rumble of the bus engine behind her and watched in horror as the vehicle passed her. It stopped at the bus stop two blocks ahead. As she neared the bus stop, it pulled away from the curb.

Kagome cursed and looked at her watch. "Hey! It's only 5:34!" She called out after it. The young lady began to slow down to a walk when the bus didn't stop.

Kagome stopped and stomped on the ground angrily. "Ohhhh! Shimatta! That was so unfair." She sighed dejectedly as the next bus was a full half hour away. She laid the package down on the bench and began to unzip her backpack. She rifled through the items inside until her hand found her wallet. She began to count her bills and coins. She sighed again. 'If I take a taxi, I won't have enough money to even ride the bus home. This is beginning to suck big time.'

Vroom!

Kagome jerked at the loud sound, her wallet spilling from her hands. Her hair and skirt swished around her when something fast passed her by. She gave a small cry and crouched to retrieve her wallet and the coins that escaped. 'Is this day going to get any worse…?' Kagome grumbled to herself.

"Hey, Britney!"

Kagome closed her eyes when she heard the all too familiar laughing voice of the bane of her existence. 'Correction… it just got way more than worse…' She groaned inside as she realized she had forgotten to fix herself before rushing out of the house. Kagome felt her cheeks grow very warm. She opened her eyes to glare at the 20 year old.

Bankotsu grinned. He was on his way home from work when he spotted Kagome at the bus stop. He revved up his bike and spun it when he neared her. He just couldn't resist startling her; Although, he didn't mean for her to drop her wallet. He turned off the engine and stabilized his bike on its stand before crouching down on the sidewalk to help her.

"So… are you like cosplaying or something?" Ban asked in an amused tone as he held out the coins he picked up.

Kagome didn't say a word as she took the money from his hand, accidentally running the tips of her fingers against his palm.

Ban felt the tingle from each finger, and as soon as she had taken her coins, he closed his hand into a tight fist to still the unexpected sensations. He gave her a startled look.

"What?" Kagome asked when she finally looked up to see Ban looking at her oddly.

Ban shook his head slowly. "Nothing."

Kagome shrugged and stood up. She recounted the bills and coins in her wallet while she thought of all her options. 'Maybe if I take the taxi halfway, then catch the bus, I'll be able to make it there on time, and still have enough money to take the bus home.' She smiled, despite of herself, before turning to look at the deserted intersection. She fished around in her bag and realized she didn't have her cell phone with her. "Oh man… this just sucks!"

"What's wrong, Kagome?"

Kagome glanced at Ban, whom she nearly forgotten was there. She hesitated at first before telling him. "I need to deliver this package to Uncle Myouga before 6:30, but I missed the bus. I don't have enough money to take a taxi there and get home. I thought of a plan. I still need a taxi, but I forgot my cell phone at home."

"Is that all?" Ban smiled. "I can take you to Myouga-san's office."

Kagome looked at him, and then at his motorcycle. She had never ridden a motorcycle before. "I don't know…"

"Look, you need a ride, right?" Ban peeked at his watch. "If we leave now, we can be there by 6."

Kagome thought about it for a second, while glancing at her own watch. 5:44. "I guess…" She said with hesitation.

He pointed at the box on the bench. "Is this the package?"

Kagome nodded and watched as he picked it up. She dropped her wallet into her bag, zipped it up, and looped the straps through her arms.

Ban popped the back compartment open and retrieved the extra helmet. He handed it to Kagome before placing the package inside. He closed it with a click and turned to watch Kagome.

Kagome examined the black shiny helmet in her hands before slipping it over her head. She felt for the straps for the chin and tried to hook them up, but was unsure how.

"Let me." The young man said softly before stepping closer to her.

Kagome stared at the third button of Ban's shirtfront while he secured the helmet. She felt the padding of his thumb brush against her jaw. She raised her dark blue eyes to gaze at him.

Ban dropped his hands immediately and turned away from her. He climbed on his bike before giving her a teasing grin. "Well, hop on, Britney."

Kagome's eyes flashed but she approached the bike. She kept her skirt down with her hands before sliding in behind him. Her cotton clad knees scraped against his, and she blushed. Kagome tried to sit back, but her bag was in the way. Her face grew warmer with the realization that her entire body was but an inch away from his.

"Hold on tight, Kagome." Ban called out as he started his engine.

"To what?" Kagome looked around, but her action was limited by the space and the bulkiness of the helmet.

"To me, Ding Dong." Ban laughed that she had to ask.

Kagome frowned before curling her fingers lightly on the sides of his shirt.

Ban smiled wickedly, and revved up his engine. He sped out of the curb without any warning. He heard Kagome cry out in surprise over the engine noise, and then felt Kagome's arms wrap tightly against his waist.

When the bike lurched forward, Kagome nearly freaked out. She thought she was going to fall off the bike, so she snaked her arms around Ban as tightly as she could. The very fact that this simple act had pressed her body against Ban was lost to her due entirely to fear.

Unfortunately for Kagome, by the wide grin that graced Ban's face, it wasn't lost to him. He was all too aware of her full chest against his back, of her thighs against his, and of her warm breath against his neck. 'Glad I stopped to help…'

~*~

"Kagome, we're here."

"W-What?" Kagome opened her eyes and gaped around her. When she saw that they were in front of Myouga's building, she let go of him immediately and scrambled off the bike as quickly as she could, regardless of how she looked doing it.

Ban grinned and tapped his watch lightly with a finger. "I got us here in 12 minutes."

Kagome gawked at him for a moment, before rolling her eyes. "Isn't speeding against the law even for cops like you?" She asked in amazement as she managed to unhook the strap of her helmet after several tries. She pulled it off her head before handing it to Ban, who had already fished out the package from the compartment. They traded goods. "Thanks for the ride…" 'Freak!' she added in her head.

Ban did not respond as he looked past her to the young men that littered the front of the building, smoking. He locked up the helmet she used inside the compartment. He shut off the engine, removed the key, and kicked off the stand. He began unhooking the strap of his helmet while he got off his bike. "I'll go with you."

"That's not necessary." She grimaced as she looked at the motorcycle. "I can take the bus home." The words came out rather too quickly.

"I'm still going with you." Ban gave her a look that communicated he would not change his mind.

"Whatever." Kagome said exasperatedly and turned away to begin her climb up the steps to the building. While walking across the front courtyard, she began to feel uncomfortable from the attention she was receiving from the men smoking outside. She frowned and became wary.

Ban sidled up next to her and leaned closer to whisper in her ear. "You know... pink bunnies really don't suit you well."

Kagome gave Ban a confused look, but she turned beet red a few seconds later. She had panties with pink bunnies! 'Oh, Kami-sama!' Kagome shoved the package into Ban's free hand and began to smooth her skirt down behind her. 'No wonder… Oh, how embarrassing!'

Ban tried not to laugh but failed. He watched as Kagome sped up and placed her hand on the handle of the door.

Kagome watched Ban catch up from the reflection he casted on the glass. As soon as he was near enough, she yanked the door forcefully, the edge of the door hitting the young man on the shoulder.

"Hey!" Ban put a hand on his injured spot and began to massage it. "That hurt!"

Kagome heard him, chuckled to herself, and skipped all the way to the open elevator. The young lady pressed the button to the 11th floor before taking the back corner spot.

Ban gave Kagome a dirty look as he entered after her and positioned himself opposite her, on another corner. 'You're such a brat! You'll probably be like that for the rest of your life! You make me want to grab you and shake you! I don't even know why I still think of you! Arghh! This is insane.'

Kagome returned the look as she pulled the fuzzy scrunchies from her braids. 'What a dork!' Without looking away, she unknotted her shirt and fastened all the buttons she had released for her earlier performance. 'Always trying to give me a hard time!' She crossed her arms against her chest as she leaned against the wall of the small contraption. 'You'll never change. Oh Kami-sama, I am so glad I'm moving soon. Then I won't have to deal with you!'

The elevator opened, but neither one of them looked away. A man began to enter, but after one look at the two, stepped back out. The double doors slid closed.

Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. The door finally opened when it reached the 11th floor. It was the only time either of them moved. Ban inclined his head, arching his eyebrow, as he played the gentleman. He made a gesture towards the door. "After you."

Kagome faked a sweet smile and swept out of the elevator without a backward glance. She approached the receptionist in front of the circular podium.

"Kon'ban'wa, Suki-san!" Kagome bowed. "Is Uncle Myouga busy? I've brought something for him."

"Hi, Kagome." Peppered haired, motherly Mrs. Suki smiled, and then turned to her companion. "And you're here too, Ban-san. I haven't seen you since you graduated from High School." She bowed to him also.

"Hi, Suki-san!" Bankotsu returned her greeting. "It's nice to see you again."

"Have a seat, my dears, while I inform Miyagi-san you're here." Mrs. Suki flipped down the microphone of her headset and spoke in soft tones.

"Okay, Suki-san!" Kagome smiled charmingly and grabbed a business journal on her way to the sofa.

Ban followed, and sat next to Kagome, who scooted away from him by a few inches. He rolled his eyes.

A few minutes later, a short, portly man with balding hair came out of the double doors behind the reception desk. "Kagome, Ban." He smiled as he gave them both a deep bow, before giving Kagome a hug.

Ban held out the package to Myouga. "Here you go, Sir."

"Thank you both." Myouga Miyagi turned to his godchild, smiling ruefully. "You already left when I called your house to tell your grandfather that I postponed my flight to a later time. Sorry about that."

"That's okay, Uncle Myouga." Kagome smiled.

Ban watched the interaction between them. Myouga Miyagi had been like a father figure to them all. He also helped his mom and his brothers get away from his abusive father and start a new life. He was very grateful for that and so were his brothers.

He had to admit though, watching the animated Kagome, that she had a way with people. 'Even if she is a brat.'

"I postponed my flight for a friend, but she had an emergency…" Myouga glanced at his clock. 6:05 p.m. "There's a really good restaurant a block away." Myouga's eyes twinkled at Kagome. "Oden's their specialty."

Kagome nearly jumped for joy. "Oh, oden, oden, oden!" She said excitedly while clasping her hands together. Her eyes glazed over.

Myouga grinned at Ban. "I take that as a "yes"?"

Ban smiled and nodded. "You said the magic word, Sir."

Myouga turned to his receptionist. "Please advise Kero to be ready to leave for the airport in an hour and a half." Then with a pointed look at Mrs. Suki. "Then go home and relax, Suki-san."

"I'll do my best, Miyagi-san." The older lady chuckled.

~*~

After dinner, Kagome and Ban said their farewells to Myouga and made their way to the bike.

"I am so stuffed." Kagome rubbed her flat stomach in glee.

"Well, you did pack two large bowls of oden." Ban ran an admiring gaze at Kagome, from her head down to her shoes and back up again. "You're the only girl I know who can eat like a horse and not gain weight. I really don't know where you put it."

"Was that a compliment?" Kagome teased, her eyes twinkling.

"Maybe." Ban smiled, as he took his key from his pocket when they reached the bike.

Kagome looked at the bike in horror. "I don't think I can right now… I might vomit."

Ban felt a tinge of guilt for his earlier trick, and decided to make it up to her. "Well, I think there's a park nearby. You want to walk it off?"

Kagome nodded gratefully. "Arigato."

Ban smiled and led the way down a well-lighted street. One and a half blocks later, they came upon a park with a large wooden bridge over a pond.

The night was warm and still, except for the quacking from a family of ducks wading on the water and the swishing of koi in the pond. The light of the half moon reflected off the water and aided the gas lamps to light the paths.

They walked side by side in silence, until they stopped on the highest curve of the bridge. Kagome leaned over the balustrade to watch the colorful school of koi below. She wished she had some crackers or bread to give to them.

"Are you excited about leaving?" Ban asked quietly while staring down into the water.

Kagome turned to look at him. "I'm sure I'm going to be homesick at first, but yeah. I really like San Francisco and Stanford is a great university. Besides, I'll be with Jak and Sango."

Ban nodded slowly in response. "Have you figured out what you're going to major in yet?"

"I'm taking Business Administration like Jak." Kagome said with a smile. "Uncle Myouga said I have a good head for business. He's going to let us intern at his San Francisco office, too."

"Myouga-san is a great man." He said quietly.

"He sure is." Kagome agreed with a smile.

"I think…" Ban began. He cocked his head to one side to gaze at her. "I think, you'll do really well."

Kagome's eyes widen in surprise. "Er… Arigato, Ban." An odd look crossed her face as she turned her attention back to the pond. After a short pause, she asked. "How do you like being a cop? Does it get too dangerous?"

"I like knowing that I'm doing something that can help and protect people. Sometimes, it can get pretty hairy…" He paused, not wanting to elaborate. "I'm trying to study for the next level exam right now to get promoted to a detective."

"Detective Bankotsu Shichinin." Kagome uttered slowly, giving each syllable its due. "It has a nice ring to it." She gave him a genuine smile. "Good luck on your exam. I'm sure you'll be a detective in no time."

"Arigato, Kagome." Ban said softly as he turned to face her again. He watched as the moonbeams danced on her raven-black hair. "I'm going to miss you when you're gone." His voice lacked its usual teasing element.

"Heh. That's only because you won't have anyone to tease and play tricks on anymore." Kagome laughed gaily.

"Exactly." He laughed along with her, but it sounded hollow to his ears. "Come on, we better get back. It's getting late and we both have an early day tomorrow."

Kagome nodded and fell into steps with him. She reached for his arm and hooked hers through his. "Despite everything… I'm going to miss you too, Ban." She felt her cheeks grow warm after her admission, so she kept her eyes on the path.

Ban nearly tripped over his feet at Kagome's unexpected gestures, both physical and verbal. He gave her a sidelong glance. He delighted at her blush. It was one indication that he had some affect on her, and he has done his share in heightening her color over the years. He also found it adorable, but he wasn't going to tell her that. He smiled to himself.

They reached his bike a few minutes later and soon after that, they were mounted. Kagome sighed and leaned forward, wrapping her arms gently around his waist, feeling his lean muscles beneath his shirt. She thought back on all the times she had seen him shirtless, and was suddenly glad Ban couldn't see her face. She bit her bottom lip as she quelled her wayward thoughts.

His spicy cologne tickled her nose and she inhaled deeply. 'If only things had been different…' She mused ruefully, as the vivid memory of her first kiss floated into the foreground of her mind.

Ban backed his bike slowly out of its parking space. He kept slightly below the posted speed limit of the road, taking advantage of a longer ride home, to savor the feel of her warm, pliant body against his. He sighed to himself. 'If only she wasn't leaving…'

~*~*~*~

Author's Note 2:

This story has a mind of its own. It really wants to be written as a comedy. I couldn't help the beginning of this Prologue. I just had to do it.::giggles::

Thank you Mini Morr, Duo no Tsuin, r12, Kagura-Hime, Chibi Horsewoman, Airen2, Black Wolf Meleny, Soudesuka-Shurikens, Divine Discontent, TaskinLUDE, and Ganny: Dragon of Darkness for your reviews!


Format revision Jan. 2004