InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bane of My Existence ❯ Prologue Part 4: A Taste For You ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. Excerpts from the following songs were featured in this story: "New"as performed by No Doubt and "Crazy For You" as performed by Madonna.

Summary: Bankotsu has always been the bane of Kagome's existence. He even stole her first kiss! But love has a way of opening up many possibilities.

Special Notice: I've renamed this story. Bane of My Existence used to be called Kagome's Second. I realized that I was probably the only one who knew why I called it that. I also wanted to give it its own spirit outside of being just a prequel. I think it deserves it.

Pairing: Kagome and Bankotsu.

Spoiler: In this fic, three members of the Shichinin-Tai group in later Inuyasha episodes (Jakotsu, Bankotsu, and Suikotsu) are brothers with Jakotsu being the youngest (rather than Bankotsu). I'm using "Shichinin" as their last name.

Author's Note: This AU fic was initially intended to be a prequel to The City by the Bay, but having fallen in love with the Kagome and Bankotsu pairing, I'm writing it both as a prequel and a stand alone piece. There will be two endings to this story. Thought expressions are indicated by '__'.

If possible, please listen to "New" (see disclaimer) to get the ambiance of the dance club that I've crafted in my mind. "Ly Kra" is my spoof of "Polly Esther's" (a dance club in San Francisco), but it is based on a Japanese dance club called "328" or "San-ni-pa" from my research. What can I say? I have a weird sense of humor…

Incidentally, I'm looking for a few good fan fics and fan art for my websites. Please send all recommendations via e-mail or visit my websites if you would like to submit your work. Please see my profile for my e-mail link and website addresses.

Thank you for reading this chapter and for all the reviews I've received so far! My shout outs are at the end of the story.


BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

By Ericedwyn


Glossary:
'Kaasan - Casual for "Okaasan" which means Mother
'Niisan - Casual for "Oniisan" which means Big Brother
Arigato/Arigato gozaimasu - Thank you/Thank you very much
Gomen ne/nasai - I'm sorry (informal/a little more formal)
Kami - A term used for God
Minna-san - Everyone
Oi - Hey


Prologue Part Four: A Taste For You

~~*~~~*~~~*~~

~* Shichinin House, High School Graduation Dinner *~

"I can't believe we're finally done!" Hojo beamed as he sat back on his chair.

"Yeah, me too!"Nobu plunged a heaping forkful of angel food cake into his mouth.

"Oh, I don't want this day to end!" Jakotsu cried. "Let's go do something!"

"Let's go clubbing! I need to dance away all the calories I ate."

"Then you're going to need more than dancing, Nobu-kun." Kagome giggled as she watched Nobu flop another slice of cake on to his plate.

"Maybe Fusayo will help me with that." The youngest member of the circle of friends wiggled his eyebrows as he whispered conspiratorially, so that the adults in the adjacent room wouldn't hear.

Kagome blushed and punched Nobu none too gently in the arm. "You are so bad!"

Nobu chuckled as he leaped out of his chair with his plate of cake and fork in his hands to get away from Kagome. "Seriously, though. How about Ly Kra? It gets pretty crowded there, but if we get there before 10, we'll get in for sure."

"You're not going to a nightclub are you, Kagome?" Aiko Higurashi asked as she entered the dining room.

"It's a dance club, Mama." Kagome corrected.

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of my little baby going out to those places." Mayuko Shichinin frowned at the teenagers.

"'Kaasan, I'm not a baby anymore!" Jakotsu whined. "I'm going to another country for college, for Kami's sake. Eighteen is the legal age there you know…" He began to pout.

"Oi, Jak. It's not going help if you pout like that…" Bankotsu said as he entered the dining room from the living room. "Sorry I'm late, 'Kaasan, minna-san." He said before kissing his mother's cheek. The young man headed straight towards the makeshift buffet table at the end of the dining room.

Jak's pout turned upside down as an idea hits him. "'Kaasan, can we go if 'Niisan goes with us?"

The two mothers exchanged glances. Then Mrs. Shichinin nodded. "Yes, I think that will be fine."

"Go where?" Bankotsu looked up, as he slid into an empty seat by Hojo with his dinner.

"To Ly Kra." Hojo said readily.

Ban grimaced visibly. "Are you serious?"

Jak turned his head so that only the people seated at the table could see his pleading face. "Please, 'Niisan…" The eighteen year old mouthed.

The older brother groaned. He hated it when Jak turns on the puppy dog eyes. "Fine…" He grumbled.

"YES!" Jak said with an accompanying elbow gesture.

"Cool!" Nobunaga managed to say; although it sounded a little muffled from the moist cake in his mouth.

"I'll ask Dad for the SUV." Hojo offered and started dialing on his cell phone.

"What time will you be home, Kagome?" Mrs. Higurashi turned to her daughter.

Kagome gestured towards Nobu. "I don't know, Mama. He might want to eat again after the dance club."

Nobu grinned and nodded. "More than likely." Everyone laughed.

"Can I sleep over, Mama? Auntie Mayuko?"

Mayuko Shichinin, who thinks of Kagome like a daughter and who has also been apprised of Jakotsu's sexual preference, nodded. "It's okay with me, if it's okay with your Mom." Mrs. Shichinin smiled and inclined her head towards her good friend, Aiko.

"One of these days I would actually like to see you in our house, Kagome." Mrs. Higurashi smiled, but nodded. "Alright, you can stay, if you want."

Kagome said happily, nearly bouncing on her chair. "Arigato, Mama!"

"Don't let them get into trouble, Ban." Mrs. Shichinin began to say. "I'm counting on you."

"Right…" Bankotsu responded despondently. 'Like I can keep these troublemakers in line…' He sighed inwardly.

~*~

"'Niisan is looking at you again. What did you do this time?" Jak nearly shouted against Kagome's ear through the loud music from behind as they snaked through the crowded dance floor back to their table where Nobu and his girlfriend, Fusayo, were making out.

Once arrived, Jak picked up one of the mixed drinks that one of the bartenders had sent them as gifts after Kagome and Fusayo had danced on top of the speakers half an hour earlier. No one had checked to see if they were old enough to drink. He took a small gulp of the light blue liquid. "Hey, this one isn't bad." He took a larger gulp before handing the drink to Kagome.

Kagome slid into one of the stools, grabbed the glass, and took a small sip of the slightly bitter, pineapple-ly potion while she glanced towards the bar where Ban had stationed himself.

From the minute the group had entered the Top 40 room of Ly Kra an hour an a half ago, Ban had bee lined his way towards the bar with the best vantage of the first floor. He took the seat at one end of the bar, propping his back against the wall as he "supervised" his charges and asked himself many times over why he seemed to get himself in these kinds of predicaments.

Ban scanned the dim, strobe lit room before letting his eyes fall on Kagome Higurashi. He raised his half-empty glass in a mock salute when he met her gaze across the room.

Kagome slid off her cushioned seat as she set the drink on the table, her eyes still on Ban.

Jak frowned when he saw the mischievous smile on Kagome's face. He knew that look well and it always gave him goose bumps. "Kagome-chan, what are you up to?"

Kagome glanced his way. "I'm just going to get some water." She winked before sauntering away.

"Yeah, and I'm straight…" Jak muttered beneath his breath.

"Oh, don't worry about Kagome-chan. She can handle Ban-kun." A rosy Fusayo said cheerfully as she playfully pushed an equally flushed Nobu away from her.

"What? You guys are finally back from necking land?" Jak said sarcastically, rolling his eyes as he took a gulp from the drink Kagome had abandoned.

"Heh." Nobu laid his arms on the small table. "You're just jealous 'cause I'm getting some."

"Nobu-chan!" Fusayo cried out in mock mortification. Two years her junior, she none-the-less enjoyed her boyfriend's sense of humor.

"You're getting hit a lot tonight, aren't you?" Jakotsu commented. He glanced towards the bar, but he couldn't see what was going on between his best friend and his brother.

"Have you noticed something different between them?" Nobu asked thoughtfully.

"What do you mean?" Jak gulped the last of the blue mix in his glass.

"It's usually Ban teasing Kagome, but lately it's been the other way around." Nobu leaned forward. "And, the funny part is… he's letting her. He doesn't retaliate like he used to. Don't you think that's kind of weird?"

"Hmm… You think something is going on between those two?" Fusayo swept her wavy, shoulder-length hair into a ponytail as she peered through the darkened room to check out Kagome and Bankotsu.

Nobu shrugged his shoulders. "I think that if you still want those two to get together, this might be the best time, Jak…"

Jak'sbrown eyes widened in response to Nobu's words. He swept his gaze towards the bar once more.

~*~

Bankotsu watched the seventeen year old maneuver her way through the crowd towards the bar through veiled eyes.

For convenience, Kagome had placed her long raven-black hair in a high ponytail, except for two slightly wavy tresses that trailed against either side of her face. As a cop, he was trained to be very observant, but he wondered what his squad would think if they were privy to the thoughts that presently filtered through his mind as he watched her.

The young woman in question wore an off the shoulder, three-fourth sleeved, fitted dark blue shirt that hugged all the right places. It ended a bare two inches above her exposed midriff. Unlike most of the young women in the club who wore skirts and high-heeled shoes, Kagome wore black hip-huggers with black leather dress boots that sported wide heels. The heels only added two inches to the young woman's normal 5'2" stature.

One of the things that Ban liked about Kagome was her minimal use of make-up, just enough to enhance her natural beauty. As she neared, his brown-eyed gaze fell upon her reddened, slightly parted lips. An ache from years past suddenly returned. 'Shit…' He broke eye contact and briefly closed his eyes as he brought his drink to his lips for a much-needed draft.

"One bottled water, please."

Bankotsu heard Kagome's cheery voice, clearly and quite close to him. He opened his eyes and studied the profile of the young woman as he set his drink on the counter. He could see the slight perspiration that plastered tendrils of her bangs against her forehead.

"It's on the house."

Ban watched as the bartender held out the ice-cold bottle by the neck towards Kagome. He felt a bite of jealousy as Kagome thanked the bartender with a flirtatious smile before placing a couple hundred yen bills into the tip bowl. Kagome has yet to look at him…

Kagome brought the bottle against her flushed cheek to cool herself down a bit from all the dancing. She twisted the cap open and took a long swig of the chilled water. She stopped only when the bottle was half-full before recapping it. She turned towards Ban then, sporting a prankish smile. "Are you just going to sit there all night? You look like you're about to fall asleep."

"I did work for 12 hours before being condemned to babysitting duties…"

"Ah, gomen ne...." Kagome said with genuine contriteness. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "We really do appreciate you for doing this for us. Do you want me to get the keys to the SUV from Nobu so you can get some rest?"

Bankotsu smirked. "No, I'll be fine." He cocked his head to one side as he regarded her.

Kagome wasn't really sure why she felt herself gravitate towards Bankotsu. It has been about three weeks since the motorcycle ride, but every time she saw him, she felt compelled to seek him out. She mostly teased him as a way to cover up the fact that what she really wanted to do was flirt with him. She knew she shouldn't. She's leaving for another country in two weeks after all, but she just couldn't help it.

Now here she stood, and with her hand still on his shoulder. Kagome blushed as she let her hand fall back to her side. Embarrassed, she looked around for something she could use as a distraction. Her eyes fell on Ban's drink.

She reached for it. "May I?"

Ban tried not to show his amusement as Kagome tried to cover up her embarrassment. 'I'll play your game for a little while.' He nodded once, veiling his eyes once more.

Kagome placed her lips against the rim of the glass and took a drink of the opaque liquid. She could smell coke and something else she couldn't name, but she found the taste to her liking, despite the slight jab of alcohol. She set the glass on the counter before asking, "what's that?"

"Rum and coke," came the brief reply.

"I like it." She smiled. "Well, I guess I better go back. Jak thinks I'm harassing you again."

"You are." Ban teased.

Kagome shook her head at him before turning her back to him. She turned her head slightly to one side. "I wonder… Maybe the reason why you're not dancing is because you can't…" The corners of Kagome's mouth curved into a cheshire grin as she made her way back to her table.

Ban watched Kagome walk away with nary an expression. Without looking down at his glass, he turned it 180 degrees before raising the glass to his lips, knowingly covering the very spot where the young woman had taken her sip.

~*~

Jak jumped out of his stool and met Kagome as she was coming towards them. "What did you do, Kagome-chan?" The young man looked past her towards his brother, and saw the hooded look he was sending their way.

"Let's give him something to watch, eh, Jak?," was all she said before grabbing Jak's wrist and dragging him to the dance floor.

The next song, "New" by No Doubt began to play. It began slowly… painting a sultry atmosphere in the room.

~*~
Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay

Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay
~*~

Kagome began to sway to the music, allowing the beat to dictate her movements.

~*~
And I can't believe I've had this chance now
Don't let it go away
~*~

Jak followed suit, soon getting lost to the music. He closed his eyes, and they both succumbed to the euphoria raised by their rhythmic movements.

~*~
New, you're so new
You, you're new
And I never had this taste in the past
New, you're so new
~*~

The beat of the drums raised the song to another level. Kagome and Jak both raised their arms over their heads to gyrate to the tempestuous beat.

~*~
My normal hesitation is gone
And I really gravitate to your will
Are you here to fetch me out?
'Cause I've never had this taste in my mouth
~*~

From his vantage, he could see Kagome clearly. He watched her nearly hypnotic flow to the sensually leading tune. He made his decision as he downed the rest of his drink, paid for his tab, and withdrew from his lonely lookout.

~*~
Oh you're not old
And you're not familiar
Recently discovered and I'm learning about you New, you're so new
You, you're new
~*~

Ban couldn't keep his eyes off of Kagome as she danced. He felt drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

~*~
And you're consuming me violently
And your reverence shamelessly tempting me
Who sent this maniac?
'Cause I never had this taste in the past
~*~

The young man advanced like a sleek panther stalking his unsuspecting prey. He has never wanted anyone so much…

~*~
Oh you're different, you're different from the former
Like a fresh battery, I'm energized by you
~*~

Kagome undulated from side to side as she descended and then moved back up again before Jak.

~*~
Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay
Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay
And I can't believe I've had this chance now
Don't let it go away
~*~

Jak opened his eyes as he turned around. As he came to face Kagome again, he caught a glimpse of his brother approaching them. He tapped Kagome on her shoulder.

Kagome's eyes fluttered open, and she gave Jak a questioning look without missing a beat. Her dance partner pointed past her and she turned around, coming face to face with the bane of her existence. For a second, Kagome and Bankotsu just stared at each other, as if time stood very still.

Jak's heel made a scuffing noise as he backed away, shattering the moment for Kagome. She glanced towards her best friend with a pleading look that conveyed 'don't leave me.' He just shook his head and continued on his way. 'Maybe Nobu was right…'

Kagome watched as Jak abandoned her until the crowd swallowed him. She turned slowly, her dark blue eyes slowly lifting to meet Ban's. Maybe she shouldn't have teased him earlier.

~*~
Why am I so curious?
This territory is dangerous
I'll probably end up at the start
I'll be back in line with my broken heart
~*~

Ban took another step, closing the space between them. Although the room was dim, as the multi-colored lights passed by, she could see the determination in his eyes. He radiated danger, and she felt cornered; but why did she feel so alive at the same time?

~*~
New, you're so new
~*~

Fighting through the awkwardness and the confusion she felt, Kagome smiled at Ban albeit a little nervously. "Dance?"

~*~
You, you're new
And I never had this taste in the past
~*~

The seventeen year old didn't wait for Ban's response as she raised her arms high and began to move to the music. Bankotsu joined her soon after; although his eyes never left her face.

Feeling slightly uncomfortable with the intensity of his stare, Kagome closed hers.

~*~
Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay
Don't let it go away
This feeling has got to stay
And I can't believe I've had this chance now
Don't let it go away
~*~

Kagome cradled the back of her head with her hands as she moved to the music. Feeling a little braver, she opened her eyes and met her partner's unwavering gaze. She boldly lowered herself before him to the ground as she danced, not looking away as she made her way up again.

Since then, the couple's eyes never left each other.

~*~
And I can't believe it
Can't believe it
Can't believe it
Can't believe it
~*~

Somewhere in the balcony of the second floor, a young man watched this scene unfold. He felt a twinge of jealousy and the ebbing of lost hope as a piece of his heart began to implode. He turned to the person next to him. "You wanna dance?"

The lady in green beamed at him. "Sure, Hojo-kun."

~*~
Don't let it go away, this feeling has got to stay
Don't let it go away
~*~

Jak made his way to the DJ stand and slipped something into the DJ's hand. The DJ glanced down at his palm and then nodded at Jakotsu with a wide grin. The young man strolled away with a satisfied look upon his face. Maybe his dearest wish-of the two most important people in his life getting together-may come true.

~*~
New, you're so new
New, you're so new
New, you're so new
~*~

When the melody of the next song began to play, Kagome's face reddened. She dropped her gaze to the floor, suddenly unsure of what to do. It wasn't so much that it was a slow song, but because of the song itself.

"Crazy For You" by Madonna was Mayuko Shichinin's favorite song. For as long as she could remember since befriending Jakotsu, this song was the anthem in the Shichinin home. The very idea that a club such as Ly Kra, even in the Top 40 room, would play it was unusual. She wondered if her best friend had anything to do with it.

~*~
Swaying room as the music starts
Strangers making the most of the dark
Two by two their bodies become one
~*~

Suddenly, Kagome felt warm hands on her hips. She felt a thrill at such familiarity. Kagome gazed up at the face of the young man before her. Gone was the ravening look he had but a moment ago. Ban's face seemed surrounded by a tender glow and his brown eyes held a promise never seen before. It touched and called to her. She took a small hesitant step forward, wounding her arms shyly around his neck, and searched Ban's eyes for the truth behind the promise.

~*~
I see you through the smokey air
Can't you feel the weight of my stare
You're so close but still a world away
What I'm dying to say, is that
~*~

Kagome has never looked as vulnerable to him as she does now. He could see the uncertainty raging in her dark blue eyes, and he wanted to dash it away and replace it with hope and longing. He caught his breath when he felt her fingers brush against the side of his neck and curling around the fine new growth of hair that escaped his queue at its base. How could such small acts leave him so utterly breathless?

~*~
I'm crazy for you
Touch me once and you'll know it's true
I never wanted anyone like this
It's all brand new, you'll feel it in my kiss
I'm crazy for you, crazy for you
~*~

Kagome felt the slow burning heat spread through her body. The air, the room, the man before her felt so hot. Her eyes unwittingly dropped to Bankotsu's parted lips. She shut her eyes as she felt herself transported back to one special moment that she and Ban had shared over two years ago. She remembered the way his soft lips had captured hers and how gently he had explored her mouth. It haunted her now, the way the kiss had haunted her dreams for many weeks after. Her lips parted unconsciously, her breath coming in and out unevenly. Somehow, she lost all train of thought. There was only his lips…

~*~
Trying hard to control my heart
I walk over to where you are
Eye to eye we need no words at all
~*~

Bankotsu couldn't very well explain all the emotions running through him at that moment. One look at Kagome's parted lips nearly sent him overboard. The young man closed his eyes, letting his instincts take over the reins as his head dipped lower. His jaw brushed against Kagome's cheek before his lips found hers.

~*~
Slowly now we begin to move
Every breath I'm deeper into you
Soon we two are standing still in time
If you read my mind, you'll see
~*~

Nobu and Fusayo smiled at each as they danced in each other's arms just a few couples away from Bankotsu and Kagome. They had watched the entire tender scene unfold, a sight so sweet to make one's heart sing.

In another area of the dance floor, Hojo looked away. The pretty lady in his arms couldn't keep him distracted enough from his forlorn thoughts. Maybe he should have showed Kagome how he truly felt… Maybe he should have pursued her more instead of letting the fear of losing their close friendship get in the way… Maybe, maybe…

~*~
I'm crazy for you
Touch me once and you'll know it's true
I never wanted anyone like this
It's all brand new, you'll feel it in my kiss
I'm crazy for you, crazy for you
~*~

Ban delved in deeper as his tongue caressed the inside of Kagome's mouth, more than just tasting her, but creating a new memory with her. He heard Kagome's moan as he wrapped his arms around her, bringing her even closer still. The dance forgotten; there was just the two of them.

~*~
It's all brand new, I'm crazy for you
And you know it's true
I'm crazy, crazy for you
~*~

On the second floor, Jakotsu Shichinin leaned against the railing of the balcony, watching his older brother and his best friend through misty eyes. He wore a contented look upon his face as he hummed the music softly to himself.

To be continued


Author's Note 2: Thank you again for reading and for the reviews!

Nankinmai - Still have a few more chapters before ADSALAD completes, but gosh, it's getting close. I'm still doing research on Japanese wedding ceremonies. I'm not having an easy time of it. Oooo, thanks! Virtual brownies with virtually no calories I hope. :)

Duo no Tsuin - I've choreographed a belly dancing routine for "I'm A Slave For You" in my head. LOL! All I can say is GTMA.

Diablos42069 - Jakotsu is one of my favorite characters in Inuyasha. He's also a main character in The City by the Bay. I have a lot of plans for him in this fic and in The City…

FallenAngel17901 - Thank you for your review! I hope you liked this chapter.

Sissi- Sorry for the delay in this chapter. I ended up doing a whole bunch of research as I strayed somewhat from the initial outline of this chapter.

RuBiAx- Again, sorry for the delay. Thanks for the holiday greeting. I feel bad this took so long now. I hope you liked it though. I'm creating an "Inuyasha Hotties of 2003" for my website. Bankotsu is of course on the list. :) But you might be surprised who I name as the #1 Hottie. Mostly because I've omitted Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha from the list. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to name someone else for #1 and #2.

Soudesuka-Shurikens - Thank you! I do love this pairing and I'm glad that some of you are beginning to embrace it too.

taskinLUDE - I couldn't resist the Britney thing. I have no self-control… I just felt like Ban had the kind of personality that would like motorcycles for some reason.

Black Wolf Meleny - Thank you for your e-mail. I hope you enjoyed this latest prologue chapter.

Kat - I know how busy you are these days so I'm really touched that you took some time out for my stories. Arigato gozaimashita, Kat-san!