InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Enlightenment ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha is copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge

Chapter 5: Enlightenment

Kagome took a deep breath as she exited Kaede's home.

Bankotsu was sitting on a hilltop just on the outskirts of the village. He didn't look pissed but he was still giving off a 'stay away' aura. She slowly walked up behind him, stopping to stare at his back.

Bankotsu sensed the girl's presence, but did not turn his head to look at her. Instead he patted the ground beside him. "Sit down, wench."

Kagome huffed. "My name is Kagome, not wench!"

He chuckled. "Very well–-Ka-go-me."

'He's going to be even worse than Inuyasha.' Kagome fought the urge to roll her eyes. "So, why did you go to all the trouble to find me? It's obvious you don't want to play the hero."

He snorted. "Did you miss the part where I said all of Japan is in danger? Or are you even stupider than that half-breed?"

Kagome jumped pointing her finger at him. "I've had just about enough of your rudeness. Keep in mind that I could easily purify you if I wanted to."

He chuckled. "And you would do well to remember that I have Banryu." He pat his treasured weapon.

"Why do you lug around such a big sword?" Kagome sighed. 'How the hell can I marry such a brute?'

"Because it gets the job done," His chest swelled and he smirked. "I'm the only one who can pick up my Banryu."

Kagome sighed and stared at the river below. 'Midoriko must have made some mistake. I can't marry this jerk.'

Bankotsu sighed. "Just what is your connection to Midoriko and the -?"

The sky instantly darkened. They stared up and found that the entire sky was covered with swarms of demons.

"Oh no, they're back!" Kagome turned around intending to run toward the village.

Bankotsu grabbed her arm. "What do you mean, they're back?"

"Now is not the time to ask questions." Kagome jerked her arm away. "We need to get back to the village and help the others."

When they reached the village a minute later everyone was assembled with the mighty demon swarms.

"Took you guys long enough!" Jakotsu flung his Jakotsou taking out a swarm of the demons that tried attacking him.

Ginkotsu fired his cannons into the air taking out a large number of them and creating a huge smoke barrier.

Renkotsu coughed. "Ginkotsu, stop firing that thing. It's making it harder to see them."

"Sorry." He rasped.

Renkotsu took a drink of his concoction from a gourd and spit fire at a wall of demons, taking down more.

"They just keep coming!" Miroku eyes filled with frustration. His Wind Tunnel opened the minute the demons popped up. His other hand braced the first one and he grit his teeth against the pain in his palm as he sucked the majority of the demons up.

Kaede and Kagome fired arrows, while Sango hovered above the demons on Kirara, sending her Hiraikotsu into the fray.

"Oi monk, close that damned thing before it rips any wider." Bankotsu gripped Banryu. "Renkotsu keep using your fire. Slayer, protect Kagome, the monk and the old wench."

Bankotsu moved into the middle of the clearing. "Ginkotsu only fire in the air to protect the slayer's back. Jakotsu take the left and stay out of my way."

Bankotsu swung Banryu ignoring his wounds and released his Dragon Hammer. He watched hundreds of demon bodies fall to the ground half dead and mangled but still moving. 'Why isn't it killing them?'

"Where is Inuyasha?" Miroku asked, closing his Wind Tunnel.

Kagome fired an arrow at a demon that swarmed past her head. "He took off a while ago. I have no idea where he went."

Suikotsu saw his leader with his halberd. "Brother Bankotsu, you're too injured to fight!"

Bankotsu grunted. "Shut up and fight!" He released the Dragon Hammer again and hundreds more demons came down in a pile of half dead mangled bodies.

"Good job, big brother!" Jakotsu cheered. "Big brother?"

Bankotsu was leaning against his Banryu in an effort to stay on his feet.

Jakotsu rushed up to him. "Hang on Bank," he wrapped his arms around his friend.

"There's more coming!" Shippo pointed to the sky before running down Miroku's back.

"Bankotsu!" Kagome felt her heart beat rapidly in her chest. 'Oh no!' She ran over and put her arms around his waist. "Let's get him over to Ginkotsu."

A hundred more demons prepared to attack them.

"Wind Scar!"

Inuyasha broke through the trees and turned to the group smiling sadly. "No use letting that bastard die before he saves Japan." He faced the demon hoard. "Wind Scar!"

After two solid minutes of unleashing of the Wind Scar the demons were finally gone.

Inuyasha sheathed his Tetsusaiga.

Sango ran over to Miroku cradling his head in her lap. "Miroku, please hang on." Tears filled her eyes though she refused to let them fall.

Kagome rounded on Inuyasha. "Where were you when we needed you?" Her eyes sparked with anger.

'If I tell her I went to see Kikyo I'll be sat for sure.' Inuyasha sighed. "I was blowing off some steam."

'Probably with Kikyo,' Kagome's eyes narrowed.

The Shichinintai all gathered around their leader.

Bankotsu sighed and winced as his head hurt and his arms bled again.

"Let me look at you," Kagome walked up to him.

"I'll be fine." Bankotsu snapped. 'I don't need pity from no wench.' He closed his eyes laying on Ginkotsu's platform.

Brown eyes rolled. Kagome went to Kaede's hut to get some water. Her yellow backpack containing the medical items was slung over her shoulder right before she emerged from the hut.

Bankotsu watched the approaching girl. 'She not thinking about tending to me, is she?'

"So, you're awake," Kagome climbed up and sat on the sleeping Ginkotsu's platform.

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed. "What of it?"

He noticed her pulling out bandages and glared at her. "Don't you dare put your hands on me!"

She huffed. "I'll be gentle and if I don't you could die."

'Damn I don't want to die again' He huffed. "Fine, but don't do anything stupid."

'Why do men have to be so stubborn?' She shook her head. "I wouldn't dream of it." She dipped a cloth into the bowl of water and rung it out. She gently took hold of Bankotsu's arm careful not to grab any of the wounds and wiped away the caked on blood. She took out her antiseptic spray and cleaned the cuts.

"What's the story with you and Inuyasha?" Bankotsu asked trying to distract himself from the pain.

Kagome blinked. "What about him?"

"Why are you with him?"

"Why do you ask?"

He shrugged. "Curious."

She frowned. "I'm helping him find jewel shards."

His eyes locked with hers. "Is that all?"

'What's he so interested in me and Inuyasha's relationship for?' She bandaged his wounds on his arms and tended the stitches in the side of his head. "Yes." She placed the bloodied cloth into the water bowl. "Hold still while I bandage up some of these bigger wounds."

Kagome dug through her bag, pulling out some gauze and a bandage. She cleansed the wound on his chest. "I need to wrap this around your chest."

Bankotsu removed his haori and lifted his arms, allowing Kagome to wrap the bandage around his chest.

She stood up and hopped off the platform.

"Yo girl,"

Kagome turned around raising a brow.

Bankotsu's cheeks turned slightly pink. "Um, thanks, I guess."

She blinked and nodded before heading back into Kaede's hut.

Bankotsu closed his eyes and draped his haori over his upper body.

Miroku sighed. "I suppose it is safe enough to allow let the Shichinintai members to wander around outside."

Sango huffed. "Fine but they have to keep their weapons to themselves unless a demon shows up."

Miroku nodded.

"Where is Inuyasha?"

"Ah Lady Kagome, he took off as soon as the battle was over."

She sighed and stared at her feet. 'I suppose he's still upset about Bankotsu's announcement.'

"Hey Kagome," Jakotsu giggled when the priestess walked over to the hut. "How is big brother?"

"He'll be fine. He just needs some rest."

Jakotsu huffed. "As long as he's not trying to swing that sword around."

Kagome noticed that Ginkotsu, Renkotsu and Suikotsu were not present. "Where are the other three?"

"They went into the woods to look for demons."

"You mean they are actually looking for the demons?"

"We're tough guys Kagome. Um, would you like to hunt for demons with me?"

She blinked and then stared at him like he had grown two heads. "Um, no thanks."

Jakotsu's grey eyes dulled. "They guys just up and left. I don't want to go into the forest without a fighting buddy. Come on, I promise I'll keep you safe."

'Well it's this or face a ranting Inuyasha when he returns… I might find a shard or two while I'm at it.' Kagome sighed and grabbed her bow and arrows. She walked back out of the hut. "I suppose it couldn't hurt."

Jakotsu squealed and took her by the hand.

She blinked and then walked deep into the forest with him.

"You're not so bad," Jakotsu giggled.

Kagome frowned. "Um, why are you being so nice to me?"

Jakotsu grinned. "Well any girl who can stand up to Bankotsu has got to have guts."

Kagome blushed. "Um," she pulled her hand away from his. "Thanks I guess."

"So, what about you and Inuyasha?" Jakotsu moved aside a tree branch so she could pass.

She frowned. "You're brother asked me that earlier. I'm just helping him find jewel shards."

"You mean you don't love him?"

She clenched her fist. "That's no one's business but mine. Even if I did, we can't be together because he loves Kikyo." Her eyes dimmed.

Jakotsu nodded. "What about Bankotsu?"

"He really does hate me. That much is obvious whenever I try speaking to him."

"He doesn't hate you. You just have to impress him. He has never been serious with a woman before and him being a mercenary… Well, he's just afraid." Jakotsu shrugged.

She gasped. "Of women?"

Jakotsu chuckled. "No, no, no, of love."

"He's never been in a real relationship before. Like I said, do something to impress him and you should get along fine. The other guys like you, including Renkotsu, and that's rare."

She blinked. "Really?"

He nodded.

"Well Suikotsu seems nice enough."

"Ginkotsu likes you, but he never speaks much. He's handy to have around, though."

She blinked. "I'll think about what you said about Bankotsu."

"That's good." In the blink of an eye Jakotsu pulled Kagome behind him and drew his waiting. "Stay back, Kagome. There's a demon coming."

She tilted her head to the side. "Since when are you able to sense demonic auras?"

Jakotsu snorted. "I don't need to. I've been slaying them all my life." He grinned. "Here it comes."

A large bear demon emerged from the trees; its eyes were on Kagome. "How nice of lunch to come to me for a change."

Jakotsu flicked his sword at the bear. "You will not be having the girl for lunch!"

The demon's left ear was sliced off. While it was stunned Jakotsu took the opportunity to run up behind it and climb up its back. Bringing his Jakotsou down, he chopped the demon's head off and grinned.

Kagome's screech filled the air.

Jakotsu smirked. "I told you I would keep you safe, Kagome."

She covered her mouth trying not to throw up. "Thanks." She mumbled weakly.

Jakotsu frowned. "Let's get back to your village."

'How in the world could some girl like me possibly impress a cold blooded mercenary leader like Bankotsu?'

Before they got to the village Bankotsu walked through the woods carrying his Banryu. "Yo!"

"Are you sure you're feeling well enough to be out?"

The Shichinintai leader eyed Kagome a minute. "I'll be fine, but I need to talk to you." He sent Jakotsu a 'beat it' look.

Jakotsu nodded. "I'll see you back at the village Kagome."

"Sure." Kagome replied. She stared at Bankotsu. "What's up?"

He sighed. "First we need to be somewhere private." He took her by the arm and led her back to the hut."

Kagome entered the hut. "Where's Kaede?"

"She's tending to wounded villagers in another hut. This was too crowded." Sango said.

"Everyone clear out." Bankotsu received strange glares from Kagome's teammates.

"Why?" Miroku frowned.

"I need to speak with Kagome."

"Very well. We can go help Kaede." Sango, Miroku, Shippo and Kirara bounded out of the hut, leaving the two alone.

Kagome sat on her futon. "What is it?"

He placed Banryu against the wall and sat across from her. He folded his arms across his chest. "What is your connection to Midoriko?"

Kagome's eyes widened. "She didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?" He cocked his eyebrow and tilted his head to the side.

Kagome folded her hands in her lap. "She created the Shikon Jewel."

"Is that so?" he stared deep into her eyes checking for any sign of trickery.

Kagome nodded. "We found her statue in a cave back at Sango's village."

"So, why is her spirit appearing to me and not someone else. Why did she choose you and me to save the world, instead of say Kikyo or Sango?"

Kagome sighed. "I don't know, but I do have my theories."

He huffed. "Do tell."

Kagome took a deep breath. "Well, I think it is because Kikyo doesn't have a soul, but rather is using the souls of other women to stay alive. Because of that I think that Midoriko considers her tainted. Whereas I have a soul and am able to destroy the jewel."

He blinked absorbing all she said and then snorted. "What does having a soul have to do with anything?"

"Well, Shikon means four souls. The four souls represent courage, friendship, wisdom and love."

He scratched rubbed the back of his neck. "I still don't get what you mean."

"I don't understand a lot of it either, but something tells me that may have something to do with everything that has been happening."

Bankotsu snorted. "I don't have a soul either. What about that?"

' Well you do, but it's tainted too.' Kagome frowned. "Good point…"

As if the conversation between the two had been eavesdropped on a blue mist familiar to Bankotsu swirled around the hut. A minute later Midoriko's spirit stood before them.

Bankotsu huffed and glared at the apparition. "You have something else for me to do, I presume?"

She nodded her ectoplasmic head. "You and Kagome must travel to the east. There you will find a sword. But getting it will be no easy task. There will be many dangers along the way. Once you retrieve the sword, use its magical power to regain your soul."

Bankotsu's brows shot up and he licked his lips. "Where exactly is the sword?" He felt a phantom stomach fill with butterflies.

"It's in a cave. There is a carving of a dragon above the entrance. You can also use the sword on your comrades." She turned to Kagome. "You must marry this man if you truly wish to save this era and yours. Trust your instincts child. When in doubt, trust in your champion."

The apparition floated over to the stunned girl and placed a kiss onto her forehead. She whispered into the young woman's ear. "If all else fails follow your heart and remember your grandfather's last story." The wind inside the hut picked up and the apparition and blue mist disappeared.

Kagome sat with her mouth agape. 'What does anything have to do with Grandpa's last story?'

Bankotsu wore a goofy grin. "Let's go tell the others." He stood up walking toward the door.

Kagome blinked. 'If Inuyasha ever got his hands on this sword he would use it to revive Kikyo.' Her heart squeezed painfully in her chest. 'Would he just cast me aside then or would he still want me around?'

Bankotsu took her hand in his. "Come on Kagome." He led her out the door.

XOXOXO:

A/N: Okay there is chapter five. As you can see part of the plot has now deepened. Let me know what you think. XD