InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ The Inuyasha Obstacle ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 6: The Inuyasha Obstacle

Kagome and Bankotsu exited the hut to find their friends, minus Inuyasha, gathered outside giving them perplexed expressions.

Shippo was on top of Miroku's shoulder shivering. "What was that light inside the hut?" emerald eyes were wide with fear. "It was creepy."

Bankotsu and Kagome exchanged a quick glance.

"That was Midoriko." Bankotsu shrugged.

"Did she inform you that you didn't have to get married after all?" Renkotsu grinned. 'I hope not, I'd hate to have a woman in the Schichinatai.'

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed at his second in command. "Actually she was still adamant about us needing to be married. But there is something Kagome and I must do before hand."

Miroku shivered at lustful looks Jakotsu was sending him. He inched behind Sango peering over her shoulder. "What is that?"

"We have to go retrieve a sword in the east." Kagome finally spoke.

Sango frowned. "What is this sword Midoriko spoke of?"

"I'm not sure it's safe to say." Kagome sent Bankotsu a pleading look.

'If Inuyasha finds out about this sword he's going to try killing the guys and me and use it to revive his dead lover.' Bankotsu cracked his fingers and stared at each person one at a time. "Let's just say the sword will aide us n the battle against Naraku."

Miroku whispered to Sango. "I don't like the sounds of this sword."

"Me either. But we will have to take our chances. After all Japan's future is at stake." The slayer whispered back. 'Midoriko was known for her strict dedication to protecting this world. She wouldn't joke around about things like this.'

"So you and Kagome will be going alone?" Jakotsu asked. He winked at Kagome and nudged his leader's ribs.

Bankotsu rolled his eyes at Jakotsu's antics. He tapped Banryu against his shoulder and nodded. "Midoriko said it's to be just the two of us."

"Too bad you'll be dead before then."

Inuyasha jumped in front of Bankotsu and shoved him back. "You will not be going anywhere with her, you filth!" He drew his sword.

'A tainted shard,' Kagome gasped. "Bankotsu, he's being controlled."

"What?" Sango's jaw dropped as she saw an evil aura surrounding her friend.

"So you noticed, eh? We'll just have to take care of that right now!" Inuyasha lunged toward Kagome.

A terrified scream ripped from her lips as she closed her eyes and ducked down with her hands over her head. Her body tensed and her breath froze in her chest.

Bankotsu used Banryu to stave off the attack and glared at the hanyou. "No you don't!"

Kagome opened her eyes to see Inuyasha knocked away from her and off his feet.

"You will not lay a finger on the girl as long as I'm here!" Bankotsu pointed Banryu in Inuyasha's face.

"You slime bag," Using Tetsuiga Inuyasha shoved Banryu away and got to his feet.

"You will not be taking Kagome anywhere right now." He pointed his weapon at the mercenary. "Once I get all the jewel shards I could care less what happens to her."

"Is that all I am to you? A shard detector?" Her face turned crimson and she stomped her foot. "Sit boy!"

Gasps rang out through the village when Inuyasha did not come crashing to the ground. 'The prayer beads have been removed! But how... The only ones who could remove the beads were me, Kaede and… Kikyo.' Her heart sank.

"That won't work this time, you foolish wench!" Inuyasha tried to attack Kagome with his claws, but failed and instead found himself on the ground again.

"I told you to leave her alone." Bankotsu's tone was icy.

"So, you wish to protect this useless trash?" Inuyasha smirked. "Then prepare to die!"

'Bankotsu is going to fight Inuyasha to protect me?' Kagome blinked and stepped back a few paces. 'Why would he?'

The sound of metal clanking could be heard for miles as the two tried to knock each others' swords away. Inuyasha broke his free and swung at Bankotsu with great force. Bankotsu did a back flip landing gracefully on his feet with Banryu out in front of him.

"Hey, you're pretty fast. I'll give you that much." Inuyasha laughed coldly.

Kagome snuck over to Miroku. "Miroku, we have to find a way to get rid of that shard."

"That would require getting close to him." The monk replied with sweat drops running down the sides of his face. He pulled the lapel of his robe from his neck. "I'm not going anywhere near Inuyasha as long as he's like this."

"You could just suck him up into that hole in your hand." Renkotsu suggested.

"Inuyasha is our friend," Shippo hissed.

"But he just tried to kill the girl." Suikotsu scratched the side of his head.

Kagome clenched her fist. "He's being controlled by a tainted shard."

Sango frowned. "You could always try purifying him with a sacred arrow."

"Sango!" Kagome gasped. 'Actually… that might work.' Kagome shook her head and raised her bow notching an arrow.

"I've had enough of you!" Inuyasha raised his sword and smirked as he brought it down hard. "Wind Scar!"

A blinding light rolled towards Bankotsu. Inuyasha's smirk vanished and his jaw dropped when the attack diminished within two feet of striking its target.

'A sacred arrow?' He glared at Kagome. "You'll pay for that, wench!"

"Snap out of it Inuyasha or the next one will go in your neck," Kagome notched another arrow.

'Now she's protecting him?' Inuyasha snorted derisively. "What? Now you suddenly have feelings for this scumbag?" Inuyasha spat on the ground. "Pathetic, you two disgust me." He leapt backwards into the trees.

"The coward ran away." Bankotsu snorted and walked over to Kagome.

"With Inuyasha being controlled there is not telling what he will do next." Sango warned.

"What now?" Jakotsu stood next to his esteemed leader.

Miroku sighed. "I'll give you one guess who is controlling him."

"I'll bet you anything it's that fucker, Naraku." Bankotsu huffed.

Kagome sighed and nodded. "Most likely, I mean he's a master at mind games and manipulating people's feelings."

They all looked towards the trees where Inuyasha had disappeared.

Miroku shook his head and a shiver ran up his spine. He frowned. "Inuyasha will no doubt come after Kagome and the shards again."

Bankotsu placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder. "He won't lay a hand on her without getting through me first."

Kagome blinked and then whispered. "Thanks." She stared at the ground. 'I just hope Inuyasha doesn't do anything rash in the meantime.'

Bankotsu nodded. "We should get going."

Kagome frowned. "What about your wounds?"

Bankotsu chuckled. "Almost completely healed. See for yourself." He pushed up his sleeve to show her his scarred but healed shut arm.

She sighed. "Okay, but first I need to get a few things from Kaede, just in case."

Bankotsu nodded. He walked over to Jakotsu and his men. "While we are gone I want all of you to assist the slayer and the monk in protecting this village."

Renkotsu blinked. "Big brother, are you sure that is wise?"

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed. "Are you questioning my orders Renkotsu?"

The bald headed man swallowed. "Iie," he bowed his head.

Bankotsu nodded. "You better not forget it either. Jakotsu I'm leaving you in charge this time."

Renkotsu's jaw dropped. "But I'm usually – "

Bankotsu silenced him with a stern glare. "This time Jakotsu is in charge." His voice was hard with an unmistakable verbal whip in it.

Renkotsu cringed and bowed his head. "As you wish," he scowled and walked over to Ginkotsu.

Bankotsu faced his best friend. "Jakotsu, make sure no one goes anywhere alone under any circumstances."

Jakotsu nodded. "Hai Big brother."

The teenage leader turned to his doctor. "Suikotsu, you are to assist the old miko in any way needed."

Suikotsu blinked and nodded. "Hai."

Bankotsu shot an icy stare at the bald member of his group. "Renkotsu, I want you to clean and refresh any of Ginkotsu's armory that need it. He is to be ready for battle at any given minute and you are charged with making sure he stays in top fighting condition."

Renkotsu nodded and started inspecting his friend's armory.

Bankotsu pinned his trusted companion with a hard look. "I trust you will see that my orders are followed to the letter."

Jakotsu nodded. "Hai Big brother, you can count on me."

Bankotsu leapt onto the back of Ginkotsu's platform and pulled out his whetstone. He laid Banryu across his lap and polished it. 'Midoriko said there will be many dangers along the way. So I want this baby nice and sharp.'

Twenty minutes later Kagome walked over with her bag slung on her shoulder. Her bow was over her other shoulder and the quiver of arrows was sticking out of one corner of her bag. "I'm ready to leave whenever you are."

Bankotsu smirked as a hair from his head slid on Banryu's point and split into three separate pieces. 'Now that's sharp.' He hopped down holding Banryu firmly in his grasp. "Let's go then."

"Wait!" Sango ran over to them. She pinned Bankotsu with a hard glare. "If anything happens to her, I'm coming after you."

Bankotsu chuckled, wrapping an arm around Kagome's shoulder. "Relax slayer, I'll take real good care of her." He tugged Kagome against his shoulder and winked at the warrior woman.

Kagome blushed at how close he was to her and pushed away. She plucked his arm off her shoulder.

Sango's eyes widened and then she rolled them. 'Great, another Miroku.' She turned around and walked over to the crying Shippo. "Shh Shippo, she will be fine."

Bankotsu turned serious and faced the young priestess. "Let's go Kagome." The two walked off side by side into the trees.

XOXOXO:

'We will meet up again mercenary scum and when we do I'll destroy both you and the wench.' Inuyasha walked through a dark corridor looking for someone.

Kohaku and Kanna were standing up ahead waiting for the half-demon. Kanna had her mirror revealing Kagome and Bankotsu leaving.

Inuyasha peered into the mirror and scowled. "Still planning on taking their little trip, eh?"

"Yes." Said Kohaku. "Master Naraku wishes you to go destroy Kagome's friends first."

He blinked. "Why?"

"So they will not get in the way."

His face spread into a malicious smirk. "I see."

Kohaku and Kanna made their way back down the corridor.

XOXOXO:

A/N: So that's it for chapter six. I hope you like it so far.