InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Kikyo's Warning ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 8: Kikyo's Warning

Miroku sighed. "With Inuyasha now on Naraku's team Naraku will be even stronger than ever. Having Inuyasha on his side is perhaps the most powerful weapon he could have at his disposal."

Jakotsu snorted. "You're forgetting you now have someone equally as strong as my Inu koi."

They frowned.

"Bankotsu, duh," Jakotsu slapped his forehead.

Sango blinked.

Miroku nodded and rubbed his smooth chin. "It is true that Bankotsu and Inuyasha appeared evenly matched every time they have fought up to this point."

"It better be safe to leave you guys here with Shippo and Kirara." Sango stared at the Shichinintai members with a warning with her eyes.

"Psh. don't worry. That old priestess is enough to make me behave." Jakotsu added seriously. "I'll make sure these guys do try anything funny."

Miroku nodded. "Very well then, Sango and I will be off. We will return once we have something to report." He led Sango towards the bone eater's well.

Suikotsu sighed. "They better not end up hurt."

Sango walked close to Miroku and sighed. "Do you really think Kagome will be okay?"

He nodded. "She is safe with Bankotsu. Something tells me deep down that that mercenary is destined to protect her."

Her hand tightened on her weapon and she exhaled a long breath. "Let's hope he lives up to his promise."

Miroku smiled. "Sango, I'm sure he won't let anything happen to her. After all they are due to wed soon, ne?"

Sango blinked and ground her teeth. "Hai, but is it really necessary? I mean they barely know each other."

Miroku shook his head. "My dear Sango, most marriages are arranged. It's a simple fact of life."

She sighed. "I know, but I want her to be happy and loved." She hung her head.

Miroku pat her shoulder. "As do I."

They had just made it to the well when something in the distance caught Sango's eye.

"Miroku…is that - "

He nodded. "Let's go and see what she wants."

Kikyo stood besides the well peering into it. She saw the monk and demon slayer walking towards her. 'So they finally came.'

"Inuyasha's companions," she spoke calmly.

"Normally yes, but, Inuyasha is currently being controlled by Naraku."

She nodded. "Then it is as I feared."

Sango gasped. "What is it?"

Kikyo tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear and faced them fully. "A lot… Naraku plans to use the power of the Sacred Jewel to rid this world of all beings which he deems unworthy."

"What do you mean 'unworthy'?" Miroku tapped his staff on the ground.

Kikyo stared into his eyes with soulless brown ones. "Naraku plans to slay anyone who is not worthy to be his servant. Those who are worthy… he plans to use the jewel to make his slaves."

A frowned marred the monk's normally happy face. "That would explain why he chose Inuyasha first."

"Because he knew Inuyasha was capable of destroying anyone he wanted." Sango added.

Kikyo nodded. "In order for Naraku to fulfill his wish the jewel must be complete."

Sango blew out a frustrated breath. "This means he will target Kagome for certain."

Kikyo nodded again. "Now that Kagome and the undead mercenary are working together she is even more of a threat to Naraku."

Miroku frowned. "How so?"

"With their combined powers the jewel can become completed and vanish before Naraku gets his hands on it."

Miroku sighed. "He and his companions only live because of the power of the jewel. They won't give up their shards so easily."

Kikyo spoke calmly but with authority. "Hai. Until Bankotsu brings back the sword they were sent to retrieve and resurrects his comrades, you two must protect them."

Miroku's eyes widened. "I take it you knew of the sword's existence?"

Kikyo graced him with a tiny smile. "Hai. I did not tell Inuyasha of its existence because I knew he would do everything in his power to retrieve it and revive me."

Sango's brows furrowed. "But isn't that what you want?"

Kikyo stared deep into her eyes. "There was a time when I would have welcomed the chance to live with Inuyasha as we should have. But, since I have been torn back into this world, my only desire is to vanquish Naraku's evil presence from this earth."

Miroku blinked. "You do not wish to live again?"

Kikyo smiled a little wider. "My time in this world is borrowed from the souls of the dying. This is no way to exist. I am a priestess not a monster. I wish for my soul to be at peace and Naraku's evil to be vanquished."

'Inuyasha would keep Kikyo with him if he could find a way.' Sango blinked. "Then why not tell Inuyasha to let you go?"

Kikyo lowered her head. "Inuyasha would not understand."

Miroku nodded. "Hai he is a stubborn one." He blinked. "So, Midoriko sent Bankotsu to retrieve the sword in order for he and his brothers to give up their jewel shards without perishing." Miroku sighed. "But how do you know what Midoriko charged them with?"

Kikyo shifted her gaze to the monk. "Kagome is not the only one connected to the creator of the Shikon no Tama."

Miroku nodded. "That makes sense."

"You two return to sister Kaede's village. I must go into hiding to strengthen my spiritual powers." With that Kikyo and her soul collector's faded into the sky.

When Miroku and Sango returned to the village, they found the Shichinintai members sitting in a circle around Shippo and Kirara, with Genkotsu as a wall behind Jakotsu's back.

Jakotsu jumped out. "Any news?"

Miroku cleared his throat. "Lady Kikyo informed us that Naraku intends to kill off everyone who is not worthy to be his slaves."

Renkotsu frowned. "That explains Inuyasha then."

Shippo piped up. "I wonder if Midoriko foresaw what was coming and chose Bankotsu to help Kagome destroy Naraku instead of Inuyasha."

"What exactly do you mean? Inuyasha and Bankotsu are about even on power." Sango retorted.

Miroku sighed. "Naraku is not trying to control the Shichinintai because he thinks they will just die eventually when he takes their shards."

Renkotsu scratched the top of his bald head. "So, you're saying that Naraku saw Brother Bankotsu as unworthy to do his dirty work?"

Miroku nodded.

Jakotsu snorted. "What an ingrate. Here we go and do all his dirty work and then he plans to off us as payment?" He paced across the ground in front of the others.

Sango spoke bluntly. "Naraku is only out for himself. He uses whoever he can and once there use is up he has them killed." She stared off into the woods. 'Please Kohaku stay alive until I can free you.'

Miroku placed a hand on her shoulder. "We will find a way to save him Sango. I promise."

She placed her hand over his and took a deep breath. She whispered. "Thanks Miroku."

Miroku faced the others. "No doubt Naraku will eventually come after your shards. So you must be careful at all times."

They nodded.

Jakotsu sighed and stared at the trees. 'I hope you come back soon Bank.'

XOXOXO:

"What's with this air?" Kagome shielded her eyes from the sun and looked up.

"What do you mean?" Bankotsu stopped when he heard her foot falls quiet. He walked up to stand in front of her. "Today is the calmest day I've ever witnessed since being resurrected."

A shiver ran up her spine and her heart felt like a cold fist was closing over it. "It's too…quiet. I've never heard it this quiet before. Even the birds are chirping."

'Ah so she senses something is amiss too…' He sighed. "It is strange, but I don't sense any demons around here." He shrugged.

Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened. "Since when are you able to sense demons?"

Bankotsu chuckled darkly. "Just because I do not have spiritual powers like you, doesn't mean I don't know the signs. There is an uneasy feeling they give to the air."

She blinked. 'True, but how does he know this?'

He grinned. "You forget I've hunted demons most of my life." He watched the shock fade from her eyes. "This air is calm and clean, so there is no way any demon is in the vicinity."

Kagome bit her lip and nodded. "You're right. Maybe I'm getting worked up for nothing?"

He smiled and took her hand in his rubbing small circles over the back of her hand with his thumb. "Relax Kagome; if something was here I'd just slice it up with my Banryu." He smirked and swung his sword with great force taking down at least a dozen trees.

Kagome's eyes widened and she leapt back with a pale face.

Bankotsu blinked and then sent her a sheepish look. "What? It's just a few trees."

"Behind you," she shrank back pressing her back against the cliff wall.

A demon stood at least five feet taller over Bankotsu. It appeared to have the head of a snake demon and the body of a dragon with long pointy claws that looked sharp as any sword.

Bankotsu swung around facing off with the demon and kept himself between Kagome and the demon. "I can take him!"

'Not alone you won't.' She stepped up beside Bankotsu and positioned her bow notching an arrow. She closed her eyes infusing her miko ki into the arrow and then opened her eyes.

Bankotsu blinked. "Kagome?"

"We're in this together, remember?" She fired the arrow directly at the demon's chest.

Right before their eyes it fell to the ground in two pieces with its head flopping to the left side.

Bankotsu's eyes widened. 'I didn't know she held that much power.' He schooled his face into an emotionless mask and cleared his throat. "I would have taken care of this thing." He smirked. "Maybe I should let you do the demon slaying from now on?"

She blinked and stared at him with her mouth slightly open. "Um, no thanks. Working as a team is good enough for me."

He chuckled. "What? The bad ass miko doesn't like facing demons on her lonesome?"

She raised a brow. "Wasn't it you who said that he'd protect me when we first started this journey?"

He nodded once. "And I will. But I'm not going to play your shinning knight in armor."

She frowned.

He snorted. "It's so not my style." He waved off her pout. "Anyways, this place will be twice as dangerous come night fall, so let's get going and find a safe place for the night."

Several hours later the sun was setting. They found a spot in the forest that was clear of trees.

Bankotsu asked as he threw on last stick onto a pile of wood in front of him. "Renkotsu would have this fire going in no time."

Kagome reached into her pocket to pull out a lighter. She ignited the wood with the little "There we go."

Bankotsu frowned and stared at the flames. "What kind of magic was that?" He stared at her with his head tilted to one side.

She laughed. "It's not magic. It's from my time. A little invention we call a lighter. It comes in pretty handy when you're building a fire."

She pulled out several cups of noodles and boiled some water, pouring the steamy water into the noodles.

Bankotsu stared at her with a bemused smile. "You continue to amaze me."

"Eh, how so?" she turned around and blinked. She passed him three cups and showed him how to eat them.

Bankotsu grinned and ate his food. "Never mind."

She blinked and shrugged, but ate her food and placed the containers into the fire watching them burn.

Bankotsu smiled. "You should get some rest."

She pouted. "If only I had thought to bring my sleeping bag."

Bankotsu scratched the back of his neck. "You could lean against me."

Kagome bit her bottom lip and stared at him. "Um…"

He laughed. "Come on, I promise I won't bite you."

She frowned but sighed and sat next to him. He placed an arm around her shoulder and her eyes drifted shut.

'As strange as it may be I feel safe in his arms. He's kind of warm too.' She smiled to herself and relaxed her body against him.

'She's warm and soft.' Bankotsu smiled as he watched her drift to sleep. His eyes scanned the area around them and he kept one hand tight on Banryu's handle. 'This is going to be a long night.'

XOXOXO:

Naraku looked through Kanna's mirror at Bankotsu and Kagome. "So, that priestess and that dead man are growing fond of each other, eh?" His sinister chuckle filled the air.

Kanna spoke emotionlessly. "Master, it appears that Midoriko has placed a barrier around them while they sleep."

Inuyasha looked into the mirror. "Do I kill them now, master Naraku?"

He snorted. "You cannot touch them as long as that spiritual barrier is protecting them. Leave them be for now. Tomorrow I will send you and Kagura to kill them."

Inuyasha's eyes hardened. "What about those wretched Shichinintai in the village?"

Naraku's ruby eyes narrowed at the hanyou. "Leave them alone for now. There's only one task I require of you right now, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha's ear twitched. "Which is?"

Naraku stared deep into his subordinate's eyes. "Go find Kikyo and take her life. Then bring her body to me."

Inuyasha nodded." May I ask why you want her body?"

Naraku's face split into a wretched grin and his eyes shone with pure malice. "I am going to vanquish her flesh and bones from this world in order to make sure she can't be revived again."

"As you wish, master," Inuyasha bowed and then ventured off outside the castle. He sniffed the air for Kikyo's scent. Picking it up he headed off toward a mountain in the distance.

XOXOXO:

A/N that's it for chapter Eight. Enjoy. XD