InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Inuyasha's Ultimate Test ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 8: Inuyasha's Ultimate Test

Kikyo found a tree to perch herself in. She put up a spiritual barrier around her. 'I am still weak from my last battle with a demon so it may not hold, but for now it will have to do.'

She blinked. 'Naraku will send Inuyasha after me eventually. Weak or not if he comes for me I will have to fight him which will play right into Naraku's hands.'

Sighing she laid her head on the tree trunk and closed her eyes. 'Inuyasha, what happened to you? Why do you not try to fight Naraku's control?' She stared up at the moonlight sky and blinked. 'Even the souls of the dead cannot sustain my existence for much longer.'

She stared at her clay chest. "I only pray that I can last long enough to ensure Naraku's defeat." She stared at one of her soul collector's with a piercing gaze and closed her eyes again.

XOXOXO:

Kagome stretched and yawned feeling her skin tingle warmly. The sun was shining brightly and the birds were singing a soothing melody. 'Peace, quiet, and natural beauty. Times like this are why I love being in this era.' A content smile crossed her lips.

"Nice morning." Bankotsu had walked up behind her. "Don't you think?" he wore an almost docile expression on his face.

Kagome blinked and then smiled. "I didn't think you'd notice."

Bankotsu's smile turned upside down. "Kagome, just because I'm a mercenary doesn't mean that I don't know how to appreciate peace and beauty when I see it." His eyes took in the way the sunlight danced in her hair and the soft natural glow of her paler skin.

Bankotsu gently took hold of her hand, pulling her closer to him. He slowly leaned forward. "Beauty is in abundance this morning."

Kagome's eyes widened as his lips stopped a mere breath away from hers. 'Is he about to kiss me?'

One of his thumbs gently brushed her cheek. His eyes held hers and his voice was almost soft. "I have never seen a more beautiful flower." She could feel his warm breath fanning across her lips and cheeks.

Her heart pounded inside her chest and she swallowed before licking her lips.

His eyes fell to her lips and his thumb gently rubbed her bottom lip.

Her cheeks heated with a light blush and her breath hitched. Her lips tingled from his thumb caressing them.

"Mercenary." The unexpected voice caused both Kagome and Bankotsu to jump back.

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed at the intruder. 'Couldn't she have waited?' He glanced at Kagome who stood there blinking as if in a daze.

"Midoriko?" Kagome turned to face the apparition.

Bankotsu sighed. "You've come with important news, I presume?" His gaze was now solely focused on the ghost.

Midoriko nodded. "The cliffs ahead are perilous. Many humans and demons alike have attempted to find their way through them on their quest to retrieve the sword you seek. There is but one way out and if you do not find it in time you will both perish." With that Midoriko's apparition vanished.

Bankotsu blinked and slowly turned to stare at the cliffs a mile before them. 'Could those cliffs in the distance really be that dangerous?'

"Bankotsu?" Kagome moved to his side clutching her bow and bag.

Bankotsu scoffed. "Let's go."

Kagome frowned. "Are you sure about this?"

Bankotsu grinned and tapped Banryu against his wide shoulder. "I'm not about to let any measly cliffs slow me down."

Kagome sighed heavily and walked alongside him staring at the place they were headed to. 'I hope you know what we're doing.' A cold shiver ran up her spine as her lips thinned into a flat line.

XOXOXO:

Jakotsu blanched pointing at a demon that had the head of a fish and the body of a horse. "What the hell is that thing?"

"When will Naraku learn that there is no enemy he can send that we can't handle?" Miroku undid the beads and opened his hand. "Wind Tunnel!" The large demon was sucked up in seconds.

Jakotsu's shoulders slumped and his gaze dropped to the ground. He sighed. "He could at least send something worth fighting."

"Something's bothering me though, Miroku." Sango moved up behind them.

Shippo hopped onto the monk's shoulder. "What is it?"

Sango's brows knit and she chewed her bottom lip. "How come some of the demons that attack us are incredibly powerful, yet they have no jewel shards?"

Miroku sighed heavily and rubbed the back of his neck. "Naraku must somehow be using the chunk of the jewel he already has to give the demons power without placing shards into them. That way he eliminates the risk of losing any shards."

Renkotsu's eyes widened like saucers. "He can do that?"

Sango shrugged. "With the jewel anything is possible." Her hand tightened on Hiraikotsu.

Kaede finished preparing dinner. "Come and eat everyone."

"That looks good, Lady Kaede." Suikotsu bowed to her.

She smiled and nodded.

Each person helped themselves to a bowl of the rabbit stew.

Miroku's hand stopped midway to his mouth and he stared out the door with eyebrows drawn tightly together. His eyes widened and he placed his bowl aside grabbing his staff.

Sango stopped eating. "What's the matter Miroku?"

He rose to his feet. "I sense Inuyasha's aura and it's coming from the direction Kikyo headed for." He ran out the door.

Sango's eyes widened. "You guys stay here." She ran after the monk.

They raced toward the last place they had seen Kikyo heading.

"Miroku, are you sure that it was Inuyasha's aura you sensed?"

"Hai and it's a lot more evil than it normally is."

'Why did I not sense this evil before now?' Kikyo rose to her feet and readied her bow to face her opponent. "I assume Naraku has sent you to kill me?"

The stripes on his cheeks widened and his voice laced with malice. "Did you figure that out all by yourself, Kikyo?" The full demon flexed his claws and glared at her with cold hard eyes.

She did not flinch merely stared directly into his red eyes and spoke in her normal calm voice. "I would think that you would have put up a bigger fight against one as pathetic as Naraku. After all he is your most hated enemy."

"How dare you insult my master?" Inuyasha cracked his knuckles as a low growl rumbled from his chest. "I will tear you apart with my claws!"

Despite her swallow breathing Kikyo stood her ground. She raised her bow and notched her arrow. "So, this is what it comes to?"

Inuyasha lunged forward snarling with saliva dripping from his fangs.

"Hiraikotsu!"

Sango's weapon hit the ground in front of Inuyasha making him leap back and smash his back into one of the larger trees.

"Lady Kikyo!" Miroku ran over using his staff to stave off another attack of the enraged Inuyasha.

"Stay back," She warned aiming her shot. Kikyo released the arrow as Inuyasha was getting up.

Snarling he dodged the arrow and jumped in front of her. Using one hand he flung the monk out of the way and his others hands claws dug four inch deep gashes across her clay chest.

Blood splattered his face claws and chest. He smirked sadistically and licked the blood from one of his claws. "Miko blood has always been the tastiest."

Miroku pushed back to his feet. "Lady Kikyo!" He moved to run to her side.

Sango held him back and stared into his eyes. "There is nothing we can do for Kikyo." She took a deep breath. "And if we don't get out of here quickly, Inuyasha will come after us next."

"I think it's too late for that." Inuyasha had returned to his Hanyou form and was now holding up the Tetsusaiga. "I'll finish you weak humans off with my Wind Scar!" He moved to lower his weapon.

"Move Sango," Miroku knocked the slayer out of the way rolling with her to avoid the blast. The Wind Scar hit the trees around them causing debris to fly everywhere.

"Sango?" Miroku stared at his intended with sweat running down his cheek. She was lying on the ground besides him motionless. "Sango," he lightly shook her shoulder.

It seems I bumped your girlfriend on the head." Inuyasha smirked raising his sword again."Don't worry you will soon be joining her."

"Inuyasha, how dare you hurt Sango?" His jaw clenched and his normally complacent eyes swirled with anger. "You will pay for that!" He stood up and removed the prayer beads from his hand. "Wind Tunnel!"

Inuyasha used Tetsusaiga to anchor himself to the ground. He grits his teeth and growled loudly as he was slowly pulled closer to being sucked into Miroku's void.

Miroku blinked as a slender hand closed over his beads. "If you suck him in you will suck up our best friend!" The slayer gripped her weapon and stared at her intended. "Remember this is Naraku's doing, not Inuyasha's."

"Sango, you're right." Miroku closed his hand and placed the beads back over it bowing his head.

"This isn't over yet!"

The duo heard buzzing overhead and looked up just in time to see Naraku's Saimyosho and Inuyasha moving away from them.

"What do we do now, Miroku?"

He sighed and took her free hand between his. "I was afraid I had lost you."

She blushed and smiled. "I'm fine Miroku, just a slight bump on the head."

Miroku hugged her and closed his eyes relishing the moment. 'Thank Kami she is okay.'

Sango pulled back and stared into his eyes. "I'm okay, really."

He nodded and moved over to Kikyo's side along with Sango.

"Lady Kikyo?"

There was a gaping hole in her chest and the souls of the dead were leaving her body one by one. Her eyes fluttered open. "Monk, demon slayer... Bankotsu and Kagome will save this world that much I am certain of." She stared from one to the other. "You and those mercenaries must find somewhere else to hide until Naraku is destroyed. If you don't he will just come after you."

"What about Inuyasha?" Sango's eyes filled with moisture and she bit her lower lip. 'Being killed by her former lover must be a horrible way to leave the world. But Inuyasha will be destroyed once he figures out she died by his hand.'

"He will break free from Naraku's spell… eventually."

The last remaining soul departed from Kikyo. Her body formed into a ball of bright light and floated away into the heavens.

"Rest in peace Lady Kikyo," After burying her body Miroku closed his eyes and murmured a prayer to ensure her soul finally found peace.

Sango placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let's get back to the village."

He nodded and rose to his feet.

XOXOXO:

Bankotsu and Kagome scanned the cliffs they had come upon. There were many layers to the cliffs. Bankotsu blinked. 'I've spotted at least three demons lurking about up there.'

"We'll have to find a way up." Bankotsu walked closer to the cliff face inspecting it for foot holds.

Kagome grabbed his arm pulling him back. "I'm sure we could find another way to make things work without this sword."

"Midoriko said we had to get this sword. Can you not climb? Are you afraid of heights?"

"I can climb fine. There are demons wandering around up there."

Bankotsu pulled Kagome into an embrace stroking her hair. "It's nothing to worry about Kagome. As long as you're with me I will protect you."

The sincerity in his voice and eyes made her chest tighten. 'He's serious.' Her breath hitched as she stared into his eyes. Giving in to her instincts she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. 'My heart races every time Bankotsu looks at me or touches me. When he holds me like this I feel like nothing can hurt me.' Her cheeks blushed as she tried to calm the rapid beat of her heart. "I believe you."

Bankotsu's arms tightened slightly and then he released her pulling back to stare into her eyes and place Banryu against his shoulder. "Shall we?"

She smiled at him. "Let's go for it."

He took one of her hands and carefully led her up a side path he'd spotted.

XOXOXO:

A/N: Okay that's it for chapter nine. Enjoy everyone. XD