InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ The Plot Thickens ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 11: The Plot Thickens

After two hours of climbing and walking Bankotsu and Kagome had finally found the way off the cliffs, but now they were faced with a big problem...

"It looks like we found the way out, but how will we get passed that thing?" Kagome stabbed her finger towards yet another demon. "It has a jewel shard in it!" Her hand tightened around her bag strap.

"I'll hack this demon to pieces!" Bankotsu leaped into the air to bring his Banryu down upon the snake demon with wing's shoulder.

A blast of wind blasted Bankotsu knocking him back. His opponent remained unharmed.

"Bankotsu!" Kagome moved to run to him until his hand shot up telling her to stay put.

Bankotsu got back to his feet dusting off his clothes. "I'm fine. Baka demon seems to have some kind of armor."

"It has a jewel shard in its forehead" Kagome readied her bow aiming for the demon's massive head. "I think I can hit it." Kagome let go of the arrow watching it sink through the skin. Hissing the demon swiped its long tail at her knocking her bow out of her hand and sent her flying backward.

"Kagome!"

The snake demon tried to sweep Bankotsu off his feet, but Banryu sunk into its forehead.

The sacred jewel shard flew out and landed next to Kagome. Her very presence was enough to purify it as the demon fell over dead.

Bankotsu ran over to Kagome. He gripped her shoulders and held her close to his chest. "Kagome?"

She groaned and slowly opened her eyes. She looked up blushing. "I'm alright."

He let go of her and she stood up. "I see you've managed to take care of the demon."

She picked up the shard placing it in her pocket.

"Let's go." He pointed to the tunnel in front of them.

Outside the tunnel was a grassy meadow filled with blue, pink, yellow, and purple wildflowers. 'We could have died on those cliffs and now we're facing such a breathtaking sight?' Shaking his head with a grin on his face Bankotsu stepped onto the soft grass.

Kagome rubbed her foot against the soft grass."What a beautiful sight!"

"It is pretty, I guess." Bankotsu smiled and led her over to the middle of it. 'But not half as pretty as Kagome is.' Bankotsu inhaled deeply. 'I wish I could reveal everything I feel for her... But I can't.' He frowned. 'After all, she loves Inutrasha, right?' Instinctively his hand closed around hers and the back of his thumb rubbed against her hand as they sat down.

Kagome smiled. The grass felt like a blanket of velvet. 'The flowers surrounding us make me glad we've come this far.'

Bankotsu sat as close as possible without seeming like he was trying to invade her space. His eyes widened a bit when Kagome leaned her head on his shoulder. He blinked and then smiled. 'At least I have her company for now.'

'He is so loyal to his men.' She looked up from their hands and cupped his cheek with her free hand, staring deep into his sapphire pools. "Don't worry, Bankotsu. We'll find that sword so that you and your friends can finally have a normal life again."

He swallowed against the tightness in his throat. "Kagome… you're the first person that's ever showed so much compassion for me." He gazed deeply into her warm eyes. 'She always looks for the good in people no matter how evil they are.'

His hand gently brushed some stray hair away from her face. "You're always putting others above yourself, even when they don't deserve it." He brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it, watching her face blush. "How come your face and eyes brighten whenever you look at nature?"

She stared at the flowers and sighed. 'I hope I can stay, otherwise I would miss everyone so much.' She blinked. "I'm just enjoying what time I have left in this era." She smiled sadly. "It has become a second home to me."

His brows furrowed. "What do you mean?" He titled his head slightly to the side.

'I may not have a choice.' She squeezed his hand and felt her chest tighten. "After the jewel is complete I don't know if I'll stay in this world. After all I was only allowed in this time because of the jewel."

'But, I want her to stay with me forever.' His breath hitched and his heart constricted inside chest. He stared into her eyes. "If the well is still available you will still travel back to this time, right?"

'What if I can't ever see you again after the jewel is gone?' That thought made her heart drop into her stomach. Her hand squeezed his. 'Please don't make me leave.' She swallowed against the lump in her throat. "If it lets me."

Bankotsu's chest felt lighter. He closed his eyes and nodded his head compulsively as he let out a huge breath. "Good, for a minute I thought – " before he could finish the sky darkened and a giant rabbit with talons on its feet hopped over them and quickly darted out of sight.

"What the hell was that thing?" Bankotsu jumped to his feet with Banryu ready.

"A really big rabbit?" Kagome frowned. "At least that's what I think it was."

The large hybrid hopped into the field ten feet away from them and beady red eyes narrowed at them.

Kagome's heart stopped before racing in her chest. 'Those are really sharp talons on the ends of its feet.'

"Kagome, take cover." Bankotsu quickly circled his way behind the demon.

Kagome stepped back a few paces and watched as Bankotsu's sword left a large gash in the demon's chest. It made a squeaking sound as it fell to the ground.

Bankotsu's nodded in satisfaction as the demon lay before him cut in two. "That was over quickly." He mumbled and frowned. 'It was much easier to kill than the others have been.'

Kagome walked over to Bankotsu carrying her bag and bow. She stood as close as she could to him without getting cut or crawling into his arms. "It was probably just a demon passing by."

Bankotsu blinked and then his face turned slightly pink as she grabbed his bicep and pulled herself closer to him pressing her hip against his.

Her eyes darted around them. "Let's keep going. This field is starting to give me the creeps." She shivered against him.

Bankotsu took her hand and they started walking towards the end of the field.

XOXOXO:

Miroku and the others finally reached their destination over an hour ago.

"There is plenty of room for everybody." Renkotsu hopped off Ginkotsu's platform with the others. "I'm glad Suikotsu and Jakotsu set up all the rooms before we left."

Jakotsu rushed passed Miroku and Sango into the castle. The slayer, monk and fox hung back and waited for a tour of the castle.

"I suppose you guys made quick work of the samurai of this castle?" Sango asked.

"Yeah." Suikotsu replied. "We needed a place to hide from Naraku. We chose here since this place is well out of view from prying eyes."

"Hide from Naraku?" Shippo jumped onto the doctor's head.

"We've planned to destroy Naraku from the beginning." Renkotsu answered.

"We don't take orders from the likes of someone of his status." Suikotsu crossed his arms over his wide chest.

"Everything's just as we left it," Jakotsu rushed back outside to join the others. "If you three will come inside I can show you your rooms."

Once inside the castle Jakotsu quickly gave the three friends a tour of the castle and showed them their rooms. They each had rooms right next to one another. Jakotsu smiled. "I figured you'd be more comfortable this way."

Shippo piped up. "I'm staying with Sango, but thanks."

Suikotsu went back outside to do some maintenance on Ginkotsu's cannons. He blinked Shippo appeared on the platform to watch him.

"Hey there little guy. Is something troubling you?"

The kit stared at him with emerald eyes. "You guys are not going to betray us are you?"

"For now, we are a team so you don't have to worry."

Shippo smiled and darted back into the castle.

Jakotsu loaned Sango one of his kimono's since the one she was wearing was very dirty. It was pink with a rose pattern on it.

Miroku's jaw dropped at how good she looked in it. He quickly turned his attention to the door which Shippo and Suikotsu came through.

"That's a pretty kimono," Shippo smiled.

Suikotsu looked around. "Hey, where is that cat demon of yours, Sango?"

Sango blinked. "Kirara? I thought she was with us."

"I didn't see her come in." Miroku frowned.

"I'm going to look for her." Sango darting outside with her weapon in hand.

Jakotsu stared at the men. "Should one of us go with her?"

Miroku shook his head. "Sango can handle herself."

XOXOXO:

"Bankotsu, are you sure we're going the right way?"

"Midoriko told us to travel east and we haven't strayed off course."

"I know you said you'd protect me but something keeps giving me a sick feeling in my stomach.."

Bankotsu stopped quickly and pulled Kagome into a protective embrace, kissing the top of her head. "I will not let anything happen to you."

She smiled and leaned further against him closing her eyes. 'Bankotsu is so strong and protective. I feel so relaxed around him, especially when he holds me.'

"Now what's wrong with this picture?" an evil laugh filled the air.

Kagome shivered. 'I know that voice.'

The duo looked up to see Inuyasha huddled in a tree with the same dull look in his eyes from the last time they'd seen him.

Bankotsu snorted and raised a brow. His voice was laced with sarcasm."How come we didn't notice him sooner?"

Kagome trembled at the evil pouring off the intruder. "Because that's not Inuyasha. It's a puppet."

The fake Inuyasha leapt down to the ground. "I'm not wasting my time with pathetic humans like you! Now hand over those jewel shards." He cracked his fists and flexed his claws.

The hand holding Banryu flicked in front of him as Bankotsu's other hand pushed Kagome a foot and a half behind him. "I'm tired of wasting my time with these set ups." He turned to face off against the fake. "Tell me where Naraku is so I can kill him after I've killed you."

The imitation Inuyasha darted passed Bankotsu right behind Kagome. He yanked her into his arms. "Hello, my lovely jewel." He licked her cheek making her shiver and her nose scrunched up. "You will make a great present for master Naraku." He gave her a lecherous grin.

"You're disgusting. Don't touch me!" Kagome's hand came down hard upon his face knocking the wide eyed puppet back a foot.

Bankotsu laughed. "Nice contact Kags." Banryu sliced down the middle of the fake Inuyasha returning it to dirt.

Kagome knelt and scooped up some of the soil in her hand. "I don't get it. Why would Naraku send a puppet after us when he has the real Inuyasha to do his bidding? Wouldn't it make more sense to send him instead?"

Bankotsu shrugged. "Maybe Naraku has the real Inuyasha on some kind of mission?"

"Maybe." Her eyes filled with deep sorrow and pain.

Bankotsu grabbed Kagome's hand. "Kagome you do realize that if the spell on Inuyasha is not broken… he may have to be killed, right?"

Kagome's eyes watered. 'He's right. Once Naraku gets hold of a person's spirit, reversing the curse is difficult, if not impossible.' Her heart felt like a vice was squeezing it. 'Oh Inuyasha…' A deep sob ripped from her chest.

Bankotsu pulled her to his chest and stroked his free hand through her hair. "I know you don't want to hear this, Kagome. But we may have no other option."

She buried her face against his chest and clung to his haori. "Still –"

Bankotsu kissed the top of her head again and then pulled away from her. "Let's get going. I don't want to put you in too much stress."

Kagome and Bankotsu continued on in silence. Kagome sighed and placed a hand over her heart. 'I want to see Inuyasha normal again.'

Bankotsu's jaw tightened. 'I hate being the one to make her sad, but I can't give her a false promise.'

XOXOXO:

"I see they've managed to make quick work of your puppet." Kagura spoke coolly as she looked in Kanna's mirror.

"What will you do now, master?" Inuyasha stared at Naraku.

Naraku stared at his obedient slave. "I want you and Kohaku to catch up with that wench and that mercenary. Kill them both. Once you have accomplished that get the jewel shards. If you have any trouble report back to me."

"Very well, master Naraku." Kohaku bowed and waited beside Inuyasha who also bowed. Inuyasha and Kohaku set off to track down Kagome and Bankotsu.

XOXOXO:

A/N: That's it for chapter eleven. As you can see the relationship between Ban/Kag is blooming, but she still holds a special place in her heart for Inuyasha. As always I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions, ect. XD