InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Divine Intervention ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 12: Divine Intervention

Kagome and Bankotsu hadn't said much for the past hour. The Shichinintai leader knew all too well what Kagome was thinking about. 'I hope for her sake that we can rescue Inutrasha.' The thought of her heart breaking caused his to ache.

Kagome stopped suddenly and looked around with shallower breaths.

"What is it?" Bankotsu also stopped.

Her eyes widened slightly and then her brows furrowed. "It's faint… but I'm sure I sense a Shikon jewel shard around here."

Bankotsu's grip on his Banryu tightened. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

A blast of yellow light took down at least five trees around the couple, leaving a path open. When the smoke cleared Inuyasha stood in the middle of that path with Kohaku beside him.

Bankotsu stepped in front of Kagome and his eyes narrowed. "So you've finally decided to quit playing games, eh?

Kohaku sent his scythe at the girl in front of him.

Kagome's eyes widened and she screamed.

Bankotsu deflected the weapon with a side sweep from Banryu and used his free hand to push her out of the way. "Kagome, find cover." His eyes remained on his opponents.

"That's very sweet of you protecting my wench." Inuyasha sneered.

Bankotsu scowled at the verbal jab and his jaw clenched. "I won't let you hurt Kagome."

"Want to bet?" Inuyasha summoned his Wind Scar again.

Kohaku quickly flung his blade at Bankotsu clanging the metal against Banryu. He then jumped into a tree to watch the battle from a safe distance. 'Inuyasha can handle this himself.'

Inuyasha sent Bankotsu a sinister sneer. "Hand Kagome over and I'll make your death less painful." He brought his sword down unleashing the Wind Scar.

Bankotsu blocked it with his Banryu. "You're not getting Kagome!" Finality rang clear in his voice.

Inuyasha snarled. "I will be taking Kagome whether you like it or not." He released several more attacks back to back only to be blocked by Banryu. Inuyasha leaped to the side sending one last attack.

Bankotsu faltered back a step and raised his arm to cover his eyes from the blinding light.

Inuyasha took the opportunity to leap in front of Kagome.

"Kagome," Bankotsu swore under his breath and ran towards her.

Kohaku swung his blade piercing Bankotsu's back between the shoulder blades. He fell to the ground with a thud. All he could do was watch as Inuyasha reached an arm out to grab the girl. A bright light enveloped the miko causing the hanyou to stumble back cradling his arm.

"What the hell?" He reached his hand out again. "A barrier?"

Bankotsu felt the pain in his back slowly subside. Within minutes the wound had been healed. He slowly got to his feet and blinked. 'A barrier is protecting Kagome?'

Inuyasha hissed. "This isn't over mercenary." He turned to his companion. "Kohaku! Let's get back to master Naraku!" Inuyasha released the Wind Scar as a distraction to allow them to escape.

Kagome stood blinking and rubbed her eyes. 'I'm not seeing things. That's a real barrier.' She frowned.

'Damn cowardly Inu, he fled again.' Bankotsu walked cautiously up to Kagome. He stopped mere inches away from the barrier.

Kagome's eyes widened and she flung herself into his arms not caring that the barrier faded away. "I was so scared."

Bankotsu's arms went around her slender waist. "I said I'd protect you with my life, Kagome." He pulled her against his chest and ran his fingers through her hair. "Was it painful to see Inuyasha again?"

Kagome let go and turned around with her lose hair shielding her face. She bit her lip. "Yes, it was."

Bankotsu placed his hand gently on her shoulder. "Kagome, I can't tell you how this will end… But I can promise you that everything that can be done to help Inuyasha will be done." He felt her stiffen and moved to stand in front of her cupping her chin. "This is Naraku we are dealing with, not Inuyasha. I know Inuyasha would never do anything to purposely harm you or your friends."

Tears welled in her eyes as she found no lie in his. "I know that." Kagome freed her chin and wiped her cheeks. She sent him a shaky smile. "Thank you."

Bankotsu nodded and swallowed against the lump in his throat. He walked over long enough to retrieve Banryu and then faced away from her. His voice was gruff. "All we can do for now is keep moving."

XOXOXO:

Miroku shivered and rubbed his hands over his arms. 'My skin still feels like its crawling.' He was currently outside the castle with Sango, Shippou and Kirara. The Kitsune and the fire neko were asleep on Ginkotsu's platform.

"Damn that Jakotsu! He gives me the creeps." Miroku bounced his leg up and down.

Sango blinked and stared at him. "Are you still moping over him walking in on you in the bathroom?"

Indignation filled the normally calm blue eyes. "I have a right to."

Renkotsu appeared in front of the castle entrance. "Come get something to eat." He retreated back inside.

Sango and Miroku rose to their feet and Miroku followed behind Sango. Kirara and Shippo sensed their friends walking toward the castle and followed. They stepped inside to find the others waiting for them.

"Hey, that stew looks good!" Shippo jumped down from Sango's shoulder.

Suikotsu doled up bowls passing them to the group. They all sat at the castle dining table in a row.

Miroku made certain that he sat as far away from Jakotsu as possible and next to Sango.

Jakotsu looked up to the ceiling. "Do you think big brother and Kagome are alright?"

"I'm sure they're fine. Big brother can handle himself and he will keep Kagome safe. You needn't worry." Renkotsu poured the saki.

Sango blinked. "What about Inuyasha?" She turned to Miroku with worried eyes.

Miroku cleared his throat. "First we must destroy Naraku. After that we can figure out what to do about him."

Sango's face fell and she stared at her food. "We can't do much of anything until Bankotsu and Kagome return."

Jakotsu blinked. "True." He chewed his bottom lip. "I wonder if he's still going to marry her?"

"He doesn't have a choice." Suikotsu added a second helping of meat to his bowl.

After everyone finished eating Suikotsu gathered up the dishes and washed them. "Someone should go check on Ginkotsu."

"I'll do it." Jakotsu darted out the door, giving Miroku a wink as he went.

Miroku's nose scrunched up and he cringed.

Sango bit her lip to stifle a giggle. 'I guess the lech doesn't like having the tables turned on him?'

Minutes later Jakotsu ran back in. "Ginkotsu is asleep."

"I am going to retire for the night." Miroku rose to his feet. 'The sooner I get away from him the better I'll feel.' The monk made a hasty retreat and felt eyes burning a hole into his backside. He shivered and slammed the door shut placing a sutra on the door and chanting.

Sango giggled and then rose to her feet as well. "Come on Shippo, Kirara, it's time to turn in."

The two members followed her and they went to their beds immediately.

The Schichinatai quickly did the same.

XOXOXO:

Bankotsu frowned as the sun sank towards the ground. "It's getting late." His eyes scanned the area for any dangers and then he sighed. "Let's stop here and rest for the night."

Kagome flopped down under a tree. "No arguments here." Her feet throbbed and her legs burned. She stretched and yawned.

Midoriko appeared before the duo. "You two will reach the sword tomorrow. I will put up a barrier around you so that no one can harm you tonight. Once you have the blade return to your friends and resurrect them. You must get married as soon as possible." With that the ancient priestess vanished.

"I'll start a fire." Bankotsu piled a bunch of wood onto the ground. "Can I borrow that flame maker of yours?"

Kagome struck the lighter igniting the wood. She boiled water and made ramen. After eating she leaned her head on Bankotsu's shoulder and closed her eyes.

The older teen smiled as he watched her sleep. 'Even exhausted she's cute.' He let out a long sigh before closing his eyes and falling asleep himself.

XOXOXO:

A/N: Okay that's it for chapter twelve. Enjoy everyone.