InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Banryu's Desicion ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

A/N: HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE! XD

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 13: Banryu's Decision

Naraku's growl reverberated through the dark dank castle. 'How dare that bothersome wench send that useless mercenary to obtain a sword meant to revive he and his comrades?'

His eyes narrowed at the picture in the mirror Kanna was holding as they eavesdropped on Midoriko's talk with Kagome and Bankotsu. 'They must not be allowed to reach that sword!' Blood red eyes pinned his obedient slave and he spoke with malice in his voice. "Inuyasha find Kagome and Bankotsu. Do not return until both of them are dead."

A sinister grin crossed the hanyou's lips. He bowed. "As you wish master Naraku." Inuyasha ran out of the castle entrance with a hand on his sword. 'It's time to pay for your treachery my little miko. You and your mercenary die today.' Malice shone in his red flecked amber eyes.

XOXOXO:

People at the Shichinintai castle woke up at first light. They ate smoked fish and berries and were now eagerly waiting for Bankotsu and Kagome to return.

Shippou was on Ginkotsu's platform along with Renkotsu. He was helping him load guns for Ginkotsu. The kitsune handed the bald man all the items he needed and even helped pack gunpowder into one of the cannons by jumping up and down on a rod.

Sango stared at the man beside her. "They've been gone for about three weeks. Shouldn't they have come back by now?"

Jakotsu passed her his blue kimono. "Here, you can wear this until your clothes are clean."

She nodded. "Thanks."

Jakotsu left her alone so she could change and waited outside her door with the basket full of laundry.

When Sango steeped out of her room she took her basket and they walked outside by the rover. They each had a bucket of water in front of them. They scrubbed the clothes and then hung them on a line that Suikotsu had put up using two trees.

Miroku and Suikotsu were off near the back of the castle in the garden sorting through some herbs. Suikotsu knew a lot about the medicinal properties of herbs as did Miroku. Kirara lay in her large form beside the monk.

"I wonder how much longer Bankotsu and Kagome will take?" Sango placed a kimono on the clothesline. She looked toward the forest as if the duo would suddenly pop out.

"I'll bet big brother has slain many demons by now." Suikotsu broke up a large herb so he could fit it into a basket.

"I wonder what those two have done?" Jakotsu wore a lecherous smirk. 'I bet I know.'

"Jakotsu!"

Sango's hiss caused the kitsune to jump a bit and stare at them confused.

"There is a child in our presence."

Jakotsu had the grace to send her a sheepish grin. "What? It's true."

Sango sighed and smacked her forehead.

Everyone but the confused Kitsune snickered and then went back to their chores.

XOXOXO:

Bankotsu held Kagome's hand as they walked slowly through the forest. He squeezed it lightly. 'I won't let anyone hurt you.'

Kagome smiled when she felt his grip tighten. 'Bankotsu is a lot nicer than Inuyasha. Come to think of it… I think I could fall in love with him. I'll tell him that later.' Her heart beat against her breast. 'What about Inuyasha?' Her conscience insisted. She frowned. 'I still love Inuyasha… but I don't know if I'm still in love with him.'

Bankotsu glanced at Kagome and saw her frowning. He stopped. "Is something wrong?" His thick eyebrows drew together and a crease formed between them.

The concern in his voice and his mesmerizing blue eyes caused her stomach to fill with little flutters. Kagome shook her head.

Bankotsu placed his arm around her waist kissed her like he was living his last seconds.

Kagome's knees nearly buckled under her as she went limp in his arms.

He smiled when he felt a gentle hand at the back of his neck pulling his mouth against hers. He deepened the kiss keeping his arm around her waist to keep her upright.

When they pulled away the radiant look on Kagome's face was enough to tell Bankotsu that she enjoyed the kiss.

Her cheeks flushed and her eyes shone with happiness. She hugged Bankotsu tightly. 'He makes me feel so light and carefree.'

He buried his nose in her hair and inhaled deeply. "You smell good." Bankotsu chuckled when her hands tightened on his sleeves and she pressed her face against his chest.

"Well, well, isn't this touching?" the voice dripped with undisguised venom.

Bankotsu and Kagome jumped apart and turned towards the voice to find Inuyasha standing behind them with Tetsusaiga raised high. "Wind Scar!"

"Kagome, look out!" Bankotsu knocked her out of the way of the blast. The attack missed Banryu and hit him in the back. 'Heh, it's a good thing I have the jewel shards in me.' He growled like a rabid wolf and glared at the hanyou.

"I must say my wench has grown rather fond of you." Inuyasha stared down at the mercenary with hatred burning in his eyes. "Lucky for me, Naraku has decided that he wants her dead after all."

"Not while there is still breath in my body." Bankotsu pushed himself to his feet ignoring the burning pain in his back. He raised his massive Banryu into the air and swung it down full force.

"Dragon Hammer!"

"Then I'll just have to kill you first." Inuyasha snorted and countered with his attack.

The two attacks collided nearly blinding the mercenary.

Inuyasha took the chance to sneak up behind his opponent and raised his sword.

Kagome's eyes widened and her hands shook. "Bankotsu, look out!"

The half demon brought his sword down on the slowly healing wound already on the mercenary's back.

Bankotsu cried out and fell t his knees as he felt something crack between his shoulder blades.

Snarling Inuyasha knocked the halberd from his hands. It landed near Kagome's feet.

The young miko watched in horror as Inuyasha prepared for another Wind Scar. A musical voice whispered through her mind.

'Take me into your hands and use my power.'

Without thinking she placed her hand on Banryu and lifted it with ease.

Inuyasha clucked his tongue and his voice dripped with sarcasm. "I must say I am quite disappointed with you, Bankotsu. A warrior like yourself should not fall so easily."

"Curse you, you filthy son of a bitch!" Bankotsu's fist swung at the hanyou but he missed and fell flat on his stomach.

Inuyasha stood over the fallen warrior's back with his sword ready to strike. "Who is the weakling now, eh merc?" His evil chuckle filled the air. "Say goodbye to your lover." His hands tightened on his father's fang.

"Bankotsu, no!"

A trail of purple light barreled towards him causing Inuyasha to jump back. Amber eyes with red flecks landed on Kagome who was holding the mighty halberd in her hands. She panted and stared at her hanyou friend over the weapon. "I won't let you hurt Bankotsu!"

Inuyasha's jaw tightened and his nostrils flared. "How are you holding that over-sized sword?"

Bankotsu chuckled and grinned bemused. "It seems Banryu has decided to aid Kagome." His back was still in agony but that didn't stop his sarcasm.

Kagome stared into the hanyou's eyes. "Inuyasha I know that you don't want to hurt us. Deep down you want to be free of Naraku's grasp." Her hands left the hilt and she placed them at her sides. Her eyes locked to the hanyou's and she slowly stepped towards him.

Inuyasha barked. "Stay back!"

"Inuyasha, please allow me to removed that tainted shard from your neck." She moved a couple more steps towards her friend.

Inuyasha scoffed. "Keep dreaming, priestess. Let's see just how well Banryu can hold up to Tetsusaiga." He leapt back and raised his weapon.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome ran over and flung her arms around his waist. Tears flowed from her eyes being absorbed into his haori.

Inuyasha's arms trembled even as his hands tightened on the hilt. He brought the sword down towards her stopping mere inches from striking her. Pain filled his head and his fingers opened dropping the sword to the ground.

A sob tore from her throat and Inuyasha felt nausea fill his stomach. His arms went around her waist and his head lowered. He inhaled deeply and his body relaxed instantly.

"Inuyasha," her tone was full of love and concern. Kagome carefully reached her small hand up to Inuyasha's neck removing the jewel shard. She stepped back quickly expecting for him to fall over dead.

Instead his hands fell from her waist and he jumped back as if he'd been burned. He looked at Kagome with troubled eyes. "Bankotsu? Kagome? Where are we?"

Bankotsu sighed and pushed himself to his feet with a grunt. He retrieved his weapon and released a long drawn out sigh. 'At least he's been freed from Naraku's spell.' His brows knitted. 'I just hope it doesn't change things between me and Kagome.'

His shoulders tightened and he forced the pain in his back to the furthest recesses of his mind. He turned to Kagome and spoke emotionlessly. "We should get going before Naraku sends something else to try and stop us."

She nodded and smiled brightly at Inuyasha. "I'll explain later. Right now Bankotsu is right, we need to keep moving."

Inuyasha frowned but nodded and walked on the other side of Kagome.

XOXOXO:

A/N: That's it for chapter thirteen. I hope you're all still enjoying the story. Remember feedback is an author's key motivation. All constructive criticism is welcome. XD