InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Wedding Preperations ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

List of terms:

Katsuo-bushi - dried bonito (a highly valued preserved food ingredient used to make soup stock) – to wish the couple a lasting marriage. {A type of fish}

Konbu – known for its ability to breed – to wish the couple many happy and healthy children. {Dried kelp}

Shiraga - hemp – its strong fibers are used to symbolize the wish for strong family ties. "Shiraga" also means white hair. Hemp is therefore used to wish the couple many years to come.

Toyonoaki – elegant and mature tasting sake.

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 15: Wedding Preparations

Inuyasha froze and stared at the arms around Kagome's waist. 'I had forgotten that part.' His lips thinned into a firm line. 'Is she really going to go through with it?' Amber eyes stared at the miko searching her eyes for any sign of hesitance. His chest tightened and his stomach clenched. His jaw dropped and he shook his head side to side. Tears pricked his eyes. Without a word Inuyasha turned and bounded off into the woods.

Kagome's fluttering heart sank into her stomach. 'I'm as eager for the wedding as Bankotsu, but I really want Inuyasha to be there.' Her chest ached. She sighed and buried her face against Bankotsu's chest. Her arms wrapped around his waist and she breathed deeply.

Bankotsu's arms tightened around her and he stroked her hair. His voice whispered in her ear. "It's okay Kags."

After a minute Kagome pulled herself together and turned to face her friends. Sango's eyes were wide and her hand shook. "Kagome…?"

Miroku used his staff to hold Sango back. His eyes gazed into Kagome's. "Aside from Japan's future being at stake here, she has found a man who is both worthy of her and obviously cares for her. We must be happy for her, Sango."

Sango blinked and then nodded. "Of course I am happy for you Kagome. But, are you sure this is what you want?"

Kagome straightened her shoulders and stared her sister like figure dead in the eye. "I love him." There was no hesitation in her voice and no doubt in her eyes.

The group turned to Bankotsu, who stood with his famous smirk on his face. 'She loves me.' His chest felt lighter.

"Big brother?" Jakotsu's voice snapped him from his thoughts.

Bankotsu's smirk widened. "I love Kagome too." He raised her hand to his face and placed a kiss on the back of it.

Suikotsu nodded. "Then it's settled."

Sango placed her weapon aside. "Very well Kagome. I will help you prepare for your wedding."

Kagome smiled. "Thanks Sango."

Sango grinned. "That's what sisters are for." She took Kagome by the hand and led her towards the bathroom.

Jakotsu grinned at his best friend. "Come on Bank, let's get you ready."

Bankotsu chuckled but followed led the over eager cross dresser to his room.

Miroku looked at the others. "I suppose we should go to Kaede's village and inform of her the pending nuptials."

Suikotsu nodded. "Hai and we can begin preparing the village as well." All in attendance left for the small village.

XOXOXO:

Kagome and Sango stripped bathed in the large bathroom and scrubbed their bodies clean.

Sango dressed in her kimono and smiled as she held up a pure white silk wedding kimono for her friend. "I'm glad that he at least cares for you Kagome. I see it in the way he looks at you."

Kagome's face was flushed and she felt millions of tiny butterflies inside her stomach. "Oh Sango, I truly think I will be happy with him. Bankotsu is so strong and protective and he's really not that bad once you get to know him."

Sango grinned. "Wow Kagome, I've never seen you talk so fast before."

Kagome blushed and mumbled. "Sorry."

Sango laughed. "Don't be. It's good that you two like each other. It's even better that you two seem to get along."

Kagome's eyes shone with an inner light. "He really can be quite sweet when he wants to be. Oh Sango, he's so different when it's just the two of us. He looks into my eyes when speaking to me, he makes me feel special." Kagome used a hand to fan herself.

Sango helped Kagome into the kimono. "Jakotsu found this and set it aside just for the wedding."

Kagome's eyes misted with tears of joy. "That's so sweet of him."

Sango chuckled. "Don't tell him that. He'd bite your head off."

The two girls laughed.

Sango grinned. "Stay right there, I have something for you."

Kagome gasped. "Sango you don't have to get me anything. Just being here is the only gift I need."

"Still, Miroku Shippo, Kirara and I spent the time you were gone gathering a few things for you." Sango walked over to her belongings and pulled out a small wrapped bundle. She slowly walked over to Kagome and presented it to her, along with a larger one.

Kagome placed the small bundle on the small bench and carefully opened it. Inside laid Konbu, Katsuo-bushi and even some Shiraga. Kagome's eyes lit up. She carefully unwrapped the second one - a pair of black silk wedding hakamas.

Sango smiled. "Now you have a traditional gift for your husband to be."

Kagome's lower lip and jaw trembled and her eyes filled with tears as she hugged the hakamas to her chest. A minute later she threw herself into Sango's arms. "Sango thank you all so much. It means the world that you are accepting my decision."

Sango laughed and hugged her sister like figure back. "Of course we do, Kagome you're important to each of us."

Sango hugged the younger woman tightly. "We will always be here for you."

Kagome continued to hug her and cried for several long minutes. She pulled back and wiped her cheeks. "I just wish Inuyasha would be there too."

Sango sighed heavily and pat her back. "Let's finish getting you prepared okay?" She walked over to her stuff and brought out a box of white powder.

Kagome nodded and dried her cheeks.

Sango patiently covered Kagome's face with the white powder and then applied red lipstick and black eye liner. Shh pulled out a comb and brushed Kagome's hair.

Kagome sat on the bench enjoying being pampered. 'I almost feel like a princess.' Despite how eager she was to marry Bankotsu and save Japan, her heart felt like it was breaking a little as Sango placed the white silk veil over Kagome's 'horns'.

XOXOXO:

Jakotsu squealed with delight as he ran over to his friend.

"What is that Jakotsu?" Bankotsu stared at his best friend.

Jakotsu smiled. "I was searching through my large box of jewelry when I found a perfect set of rings for you and your intended." He showed the matching set of steel bands to his esteemed leader.

Bankotsu blinked. "Are those what I think they are?" His large calloused hand hovered over the rings.

Jakotsu grinned. "Hai, I noticed they were forged the same way the strongest of swords are."

He picked them up and grinned. After inspecting them he nodded. "They are warrior wedding bands." He smiled at his friend. "Thanks Ja."

Jakotsu nodded. "At least you know they won't get damaged." He grinned. "You're welcome Bank." He picked up Bankotsu's Black wedding Haori. "Are you ready to dress?"

His heart felt light and his chest puffed with pride. 'Those rings are rare because the blacksmiths usually make swords. These rings will last forever.' Bankotsu nodded and placed the rings on a small table.

"Hai," With slightly shaky hands he removed his white haori and slipped into the black one. 'I wonder if I will get some traditional wedding hakamas?' He shook his head. 'Doesn't matter so long as we get through the ceremony.'

Jakotsu grinned and passed Bankotsu the obi. "I've never seen you so nervous before."

Bankotsu's cheeks tinged slightly pink. He quickly turned his back to his friend and fastened the obi. He cleared his throat loudly and mumbled, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Jakotsu giggled but let the subject drop.

Bankotsu's brows creased and pulled together as he tapped his chin.

Jakotsu's eyes widened. "What is it?"

Bankotsu sighed heavily. "I haven't had time to get Kagome any gifts yet."

Jakotsu's eyes lit up. "Never fear Bank." He walked over to the trunk and pulled out several items placing them on his bed. "Since she is to be the band's little sister and your wife, I have plenty for you to choose from." His hand waved to encompass the items on the bed.

"In fact…" Jakotsu slowly walked over to his trunk and pulled out an expensive red and white over kimono with gold embroidered bamboo, pine, and flowers on it.

He smiled and ran his hand over the material. 'This will be the perfect thing for Bank to give his bride.' He walked over and presented it to Bankotsu. "Give her this to wear after the ceremony."

Bankotsu's eyes widened. "But this is your stuff."

Jakotsu waved him off. "Oh pish-posh, I have tons of trunks filled with beautiful and expensive things, besides that one never did fit me. Plus you need a proper gift for your bride." He pushed the over kimono into his friend's arms. "Now choose one of the items on the bed before I change my mind."

Bankotsu grinned and slapped Jakotsu on the back. "Thanks Ja I'll tell her this scarf is from you." He grinned at his friend. "Will you me sort through my trunks for some appropriate gifts?"

"You bet I will." Jakotsu grinned and skipped down the hallway behind a laughing Bankotsu.

Bankotsu led him into the room and opened all the trunks. "Okay Ja it's time to use your expertise."

Jakotsu's eyes lit up as and he started pointing things out and Bankotsu placed them aside in an organized pile

Jakotsu jumped up. "Okay Bank, meet us at the village in Kaede's hut whenever you are ready. Jakotsu ran into the kitchen to get several items and then took off for the village himself.

XOXOXO:

"Renkotsu, hand me the knife." Suikotsu held a piece of fabric in his hands.

"I wonder what big brother actually thinks about this whole thing?" Renkotsu passed the knife over.

"It doesn't matter." Suikotsu snipped the material and passed it over to Miroku. 'If any of us deserves true happiness it's Brother Bankotsu. He has sacrificed so much for us already.'

"Poor Kagome, I'm sure she had her heart set on Inuyasha attending, but alas our hanyou friend has run off."

Shippo nodded. "At least Bankotsu will keep Kagome safe. He cares for her." The kit had seen the mercenary look at Kagome many times. 'Even as young as I am, I can tell Bankotsu really likes her.'

Suikotsu nodded. "Hai he does. I've never seen him look at anyone else with such an affectionate gaze."

Shippo bounded over to Kaede. "Have you settled on which ones to use yet?"

Kaede was perusing the available sake choices. She nodded. "Hai Shippo. I believe these three will do best for the ceremony. Would ye be so kind as to help me with setting up the table?"

Shippo beamed. "Of course, after all I am practically Kagome's adopted son."

Kaede smiled and passed the kit the three different sized ceremonial sake cups. "Bring them to my stand outside." Kaede carefully plucked the three sake bottles from the collection and followed the kit to the stand where they finished preparing for the ceremony.

Jakotsu ran over to Renkotsu and Suikotsu asking their approval for the gifts the tree of them would present to the couple.

Inuyasha took a deep breath and walked over to Miroku. His expression was pained. "Is there anything I can help with?" His tone was sad.

Miroku smiled. "I'm glad you came back Inuyasha." The two exchanged a look but talked no more of it. He passed a roll of light blue silk with gold embroidered turtles and plums on it to his friend. "I'm having some trouble. Would you please wrap this around the top of the tree?"

The half demon took the roll of silk and started to climb the tree. When he got to the top, he carefully wound the material around the branches and worked his way down until he could reach Miroku.

"Thanks," The monk then took it and finished wrapping it around the trunk.

Inuyasha hopped down from the tree and the two admired their work. It was a cherry blossom tree. The pink blooms contrasted nicely with the silk.

Miroku grinned and picked up a black roll with embroidered golden peaches and cranes on a peaceful nature back ground on it. "Will you kindly wrap this one around the other tree?"

Inuyasha nodded and took the roll leaping into the tree. He carefully wrapped it around the branches at the top and made his way down to Miroku, who finished by wrapping it delicately around the trunk.

'I want Kagome happy, but this is too hard.' Inuyasha jumped down with his eyes burning. His chest ached as he took in how beautiful the place was looking. He quickly told Miroku he'd be back and bounded toward the river needing a little more time alone.

'Poor Inuyasha, no doubt this must be hard on him.' Miroku left to oversee that the celebration feast was being prepared. He walked into the sake stock and picked up a bottle of Toyonoaki and smiled. "Ah yes this will compliment the feast nicely."

XOXOXO:

A/N: Okay that's it for chapter fifteen. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. As Always feedback is greatly appreciated. XD

P.S. For those wondering what the symbols represent: According to my research crane, turtle, pine, bamboo, peaches and flower patterns symbolize longevity, health, happiness, fertility and luck for the Japanese.