InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Wedding Of Destiny ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

List of terms:

Tempura - is a Japanese dish of seafood or vegetables that have been battered and deep fried.

Toyonoaki – An elegant and mature tasting sake.

San-san-kudo - literally means "three, three, nine times." The cup used at san-san-kudo is a special one called "sakazuki," which is only used to drink sake and no other beverages. The bride and groom take turns taking three sips each of three different bowls of sake, each one larger than the next. Three is an indivisible number and it is considered a sacred number in Buddhism.

- Nine means triple happiness. But just as the san-san-kudo sake sips may not be altogether delicious, the couple's marriage life may not always be delightful, but they will have to overcome their hardships with the co-operative spirit of the san-san-kudo. By exchanging the nuptial sake sips—three times three—husband and wife are united.

Traditional Japanese Wedding Gifts:

Naga-Noshi – abalone shell widely used in Japan to make crafts and gifts – to express sincere wishes from the giver.

Katsuo-bushi - dried bonito (a highly valued preserved food ingredient used to make soup stock) – to wish the couple a lasting marriage. {A type of fish}

Surume - dried cuttlefish – it is given for the same reason as "katsuo-bushi", to wish the couple a lasting marriage.

Konbu – known for its ability to breed – to wish the couple many happy and healthy children. {dried kelp}

Shiraga or hemp – its strong fibers are used to symbolize the wish for strong family ties. "Shiraga" also means white hair. Hemp is therefore used to wish the couple many years to come.

Suehiro – a fan – it opens from end to end and is given as a wish for happiness and a bigger and better future.

Yanagi-daru - a wine cask – money may be given in place of the wine cask for the purpose of purchasing "sake" wine. (cryptomeria), sake casks are made from willow trees with tender leaves. Sake casks are meant to symbolize a pledge for obedience and gentleness in marriage.

Ceremony Sake flavors:

Hakutsuru - Solid, straightforward, clean.

Ayakiku - Funky but balanced.

Shochikubai - Gentle and mellow.

XOXOXO:

A/N: For those interested Bankotsu and Kagome's wedding bands and the info about how they are made can be found here: .com/2010/09/samurai_sword_

It's the earliest history I could find on Japanese wedding rings. The ceremony is based on the Edo period ceremonies as I could find nothing before then and Sengoku period directly precedes the Edo period.}

XOXOXO:

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge.

Chapter 16: Wedding of Destiny

Kagome decided to take a walk before the big ceremony. She found Inuyasha sitting by the river. His head was buried in his hands and he was trembling.

The young girl gingerly sat down beside the hanyou. Her voice was soft. "I've never seen you cry like that before."

He lowered his hands and faced the girl with wet cheeks. "Why did it have to come to this?" He stared at her with sad amber eyes.

Kagome's heart ached. She took a deep breath. "Inuyasha, you will always have a place in my heart." She placed her hand over his. "I love you, Inuyasha and I always will, but I love Bankotsu too."

Inuyasha sent her a small smile. "I guess it's kind of like me with you and Kikyo."

Kagome blinked and released a long breath. "Hai."

Inuyasha pulled her close and embraced her tightly. "Kagome, I love you too. I'm sorry I never told you before now." A clawed hand gently cupped her cheek.

Kagome pulled away from him slightly, looking into his topaz eyes. Love shown in her eyes along with a little sadness. "It's okay Inuyasha."

Overcome with the sense of loss Inuyasha slowly lowered his head and pressed his lips against hers kissing her with all of his unspoken emotions.

Kagome knew it was wrong, But after waiting so long for Inuyasha to kiss her like this she just couldn't find the strength to push him away. She wrapped her arms around his waist and returned his gentle but passionate kiss.

XOXOXO:

Bankotsu had also gone for a walk and stayed behind the trees. His jaw dropped and anger boiled inside him when he saw the scene before him. His grip tightened so much on his Banryu that his hand turned white.

When the two pulled apart Bankotsu caught a glimpse of their tear stained faces and the anger in him subsided, replaced with sympathy. He quickly but quietly turned around and walked away leaving the couple to enjoy their last romantic moment together.

'Kagome… I know you love Inuyasha, but you also love me. You said so yourself. I have no idea about your true feelings, but I understand. That's why just this once I'll let the kiss go.'

XOXOXO:

Inuyasha broke the kiss and gazed into Kagome's eyes. They were filled with mixed emotions. Mostly sadness showed in her eyes. He could tell she was already feeling guilt over the kiss.

"Kagome…I'm sorry." He looked away from her with his shoulders slumped.

Kagome blinked and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Don't be Inuyasha. We've both wanted that for too long now." Her heart sank into her stomach and she held his gaze. Her voice firmed a bit. "But it can never happen again. I'm to marry Bankotsu."

Inuyasha sighed heavily. "I know you love Bankotsu."

Kagome nodded and placed a hand over her heart. "He's a good man Inuyasha." She took several deep breaths. "I also love you, Inuyasha. But, you have to move on and be happy. Just remember that I'll always be here for you as your friend."

Inuyasha frowned. "Just answer me one thing…"If you had to choose who you loved more, who would it be?"

Kagome turned her back to him and a tear clung to her eye. "it isn't fair to even ask me that. It'd be like me forcing you to choose between me and Kikyo." She lowered her head and whispered, "I love both you and Bankotsu."

Inuyasha stared at her a moment. 'Have I really have lost her?' His heart felt heavy and resignation filled him to the core. He stood to his feet. "In any case, we'd better get back to the village for the ceremony."

Kagome nodded and turned towards the village. 'Please move on Inuyasha. We can never be.'

XOXOXO:

Kagome and Inuyasha made it back to Kaede's hut. Almost immediately when Kagome stepped inside, Bankotsu grabbed her arm and lead her back outside.

Kagome blinked. "Bankotsu?"

His eyes locked to hers and his tone was flat. "I saw you and Inuyasha kissing."

Kagome's eyes widened. "Please let me explain."

Bankotsu put a hand up to quiet her. "I understand that have feelings for him too." His jaw tightened. 'As much as I don't like it, I do understand. She's traveled with him for nearly two years now.' Bankotsu wrapped his arms around her in a tender embrace. "You don't need to explain Kagome. I just want you happy." He hugged her tighter.

Kagome pulled back to stare into his eyes. "Bankotsu… After waiting so long for Inuyasha to kiss me I just couldn't find it in me to push him away."

She felt his arms tighten on her waist and heard his sharp intake of breath. "Immediately after the kiss I felt guilty for it because I know I belong with you." She felt his grip loosen a bit and heard his breathing relax.

She pulled back to stare into his beautiful blue eyes and spoke firmly. "I know I will be happy with you." She stood on her tip toes to kiss the purple mark on Bankotsu's forehead.

Bankotsu searched her gaze. "Are you certain this is what you want?"

She nodded. "Absolutely."

He smiled and led her into the hut. He passed her the obi. "This is for you."

She held it to her heart a minute, before passing him the hakamas. "These are for you."

His eyes widened and he smirked. "Thank you."

She tied the obi around her waist and turned her back while he slipped into his wedding hakamas.

When he was decent he passed her a finely crafted Suehiro. Her eyes filled with moisture as she hugged the fan to her chest.

She passed him the small bundle she had gotten from Sango.

He passed her the scarf. "This one is from Jakotsu."

Her eyes welled with even more tears.

The gift exchange continued until all nine gifts were given to the other. They hugged and walked outside to join the others.

XOXOXO:

Inuyasha sat with Miroku near the table. 'As hard as this will be, I will be the one to give Kagome away in her grandfather's place.'

"I assume the vows will start soon?" Inuyasha looked back to see Kagome and Bankotsu holding hands and chatting with Jakotsu.

"Hai, it should begin as soon as Kaede gets back." Miroku replied.

Inuyasha gave Kagome a firm nod smiling at her. 'I will respect her wishes, no matter how hard it may be.'

Sango walked over to Kagome and passed her a white rose."I wish you two many happy healthy years together." She bowed to the couple and then joined Miroku and Inuyasha.

Kagome squeezed Bankotsu's hand and felt her mood lighten when he kissed her cheek. Kagome pinned the rose to Bankotsu's haori and admired his new look. 'He's so strong and handsome.'

Kaede returned and stood by the small table. The atmosphere was light and happy. It was so peaceful that it was almost like a barrier had been placed around the village and surrounding areas just for this momentous occasion.

Kaede placed the small, medium and large ceremonial sake bowls on the table. "Alright everyone gather round so the ceremony may begin."

Bankotsu turned to Jakotsu, who signaled thumbs up and pat his pouch holding the rings. Bankotsu grinned and walked over to the table.

Inuyasha slowly walked Kagome over to the other side of the table and lifted the veil. He smiled at her and then bowed to Kaede and took his place beside Miroku and Sango.

Kaede placed the binding ribbon on the table and faced everyone in attendance. "Today we will bind this man and this woman in the most sacred of bonds. Ye are here as witnesses to their blessed union."

She faced Bankotsu. "By this act ye swear to forsake all women but Kagome from here on out. Ye also swear to love her unconditionally. To protect her and put her needs above your own. Through this holy union ye two will become one."

Bankotsu's chest puffed with pride as his eyes landed on Kagome. "You look radiant." He winked at her.

Kaede cleared her throat and raised a brow. She faced the crowd again. "Marriage is the union of husband and wife in heart, body and mind. It is intended for their mutual joy and for the help and comfort given on another in prosperity and adversity."

She poured the Ayakiku sake into the tiniest bowl. She held the bowl above her head. "This sake represents the hardships and trails these two will undoubtedly face throughout their life together."

He gingerly tilted the tiny bowl to his lips and took a small sip. He titled the cup and sipped twice more and then passed it to Kagome.

She smiled and followed his lead sipping from it three times and then passed it back to him with slightly widened eyes. He passed it back to Kaede, who placed it on the table.

Kaede poured the Hakutsuru sake into the medium sized bowl and held it above her head. "This sake represents the strength of this holiest of unions and Bankotsu's strong nature which makes him a worthy husband and provider as well as a fierce protector." She bowed her head and then passed the cup to Bankotsu.

Bankotsu tilted the cup to his lips and gingerly sipped three times before passing it to Kagome.

As with before Kagome followed his lead tilting the cup and gingerly sipping three times. 'At least this one tastes better.' She passed the cup to Bankotsu.

He passed the cup to Kaede, who again placed the cup on the table. "And now the rings."

Jakotsu stepped forward and passed Bankotsu the rings. He smiled and placed the smaller one on Kagome's ring finger. He kissed the top of her hand and mouthed 'I love you'.

She grinned and placed the larger ring on Bankotsu's ring finger. She mouthed back. 'I love you too'.

Kaede smiled and placed their wedding bands hands in the air before her. "This union is unbreakable by man or beast." She carefully wrapped the binding ribbon around their wrists binding the union. She gently dropped three pours each of the tree sakes onto the ribbon. "From this day forward ye two are bound to one another through good and bad. Ye have agreed to face whatever comes together."

She poured the final ceremonial sake into the largest bowl and held it above her head. "This final sake represents Kagome's worthiness as a wife and Bankotsu and Kagome's growing love for one another."

She smiled at both of them. "May it multiply endlessly and may ye two grow closer together than ye ever thought possible. May yer lives together be fruitful and filled with immeasurable joy." She passed the largest sake cup to Bankotsu's free hand.

Bankotsu gingerly titled the cup to his lips and sipped three times before passing the cup to Kagome.

She grinned and repeated his process passing it back to him.

Bankotsu passed the cup back to Kaede, who held it above her head. "These two lives are now joined in one unbroken circle. Wherever they go may they always return to one another." She took a deep breath and continued. "May they grow in understanding and in compassion. May the home which they establish together be such a place that many will find there a friend. May these rings on their fingers symbolize the touch of the spirit of love in their hearts."

Kaede lit the incense and placed her hands over their bound wrists. "Bankotsu and Kagome have consented together in marriage before this company of friends and family and have pledged their faith and declared their unity by giving and receiving a ring so are now joined. By the power vested in me by the Sengoku Judia and Almighty God, I now pronounce you man and wife." She bowed to the couple and watched as they leaned over the small table to share their first kiss as a married couple.

Bankotsu's kiss was surprisingly gentle and more passionate than before. Kagome kissed him back matching his passion with her own. When they pulled apart Kaede faced the crowd. "The San-san Kudo ceremony is now complete." She untied the ribbon and bowed to the couple, who while holding hands bowed to her.

Inuyasha's eyes burned with tears. 'Be happy Kagome.' His eyes remained on the couple as each guest presented them with gifts.

Sango hugged each of them and congratulated them and then left with Miroku to ensure the food was ready.

After all the gifts were received Inuyasha walked up to the couple. He stared Bankotsu in the eyes. "You better treat her right."

Bankotsu grinned. "Of course I will."

Inuyasha stared at Kagome and spoke with the greatest sincerity. "I want you to be happy Kagome."

She smiled and shone with an inner glow. "Thank you Inuyasha. I am very happy." She squeezed Bankotsu's hand.

Inuyasha bowed to her and held out a small wrapped bundle.

Kagome opened the bundle and gaped. She showed Bankotsu the Konbu and Naga- Noshi.

Bankotsu's eyes widened and he closed his hand over the gift. He bowed to Inuyasha. "As much as it pains me to say this, you're a good man Inuyasha. Thanks for the gift."

Inuyasha replied. "As much as I hate to admit it, I've never seen Kagome happier than she is today. Thank you for making her happy."

Kagome's eyes filled with tears as she and Inuyasha shared a brief hug and then she buried her face against Bankotsu's chest and wrapped her arms around him.

Bankotsu placed the gift with the others and wrapped her in a gentle but firm embrace as he led her away to give Kagome her final gift from him.

She gasped and her hand reverently ran over the soft material of the red and white over kimono with gold embroidery. She kissed his cheek. "Thank you it's gorgeous."

Bankotsu smiled. "It pales in comparison to your beauty." His eyes shone with love and honesty.

Her heart soared and she bowed to him and then went to change into it.

Bankotsu smirked and changed back into his white haori and Kimono, carefully folding his wedding clothes to place them aside with the many gifts.

Miroku had given them several sake casts and bottles of various sakes. Jakotsu had given them plenty Konbu. Renkotsu had given them plenty of Katsuo-bushi. Suikotsu and Ginkotsu presented them with many Surume. Kaede had gifted them with a traditional tea ceremony set. Shippo gave them several pieces of Surume and a piece of Shiraga. They had received many wonderful wedding gifts from their friends.

When Kagome returned the makeup was off of her face and her true beauty shone making her appear as if she had a slight glow around her.

Bankotsu kissed her hand. "That's much better." He kissed her cheek and led his wife toward their seats for the celebration feast. As the newlywed couple took their seats Inuyasha walked to check on Sango and the others.

Moments later the food started to arrive. A humongous roasted boar and plenty of fresh steamed carrots, potatoes, radishes and corn were placed upon the middle of a large line of tables where the fest would take place. Boiled rice, fresh smoked fish, fresh bread, deviled eggs, rice balls, rice cake and tempura soon joined.

A platter with large bowls of acorns, walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds soon were placed on another table.

Papayas, mangos, bananas, tangerines, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, kiwis, plums, and peaches all fresh were set next to the boar.

Kagome gasped and her eyes widened as the food continued to be brought forth and placed before them. 'Wow, that's a lot of food.'

Bankotsu smirked as the sake was delivered last. 'Now this is a real feast fit for royalty.' Today he almost felt like a king.

Bankotsu and Kagome sat in the middle of the tables next to each other. On the other side of Kagome sat Sango, Miroku, Inuyasha, and Shippo. On the other side of Bankotsu sat Jakotsu, Renkotsu, and Suikotsu.

Various villagers sat along the second and third tables. While the food and drinks were served some villagers played music and danced for the happy couple. Every now and then Bankotsu would pick up Kagome's hand and kiss the top of it making her blush. They ate and drank both staring into each others eyes and enjoying their celebration.

Inuyasha found himself unable to eat any of the bountiful foods. When the celebration became too much to stand, he bounded off alone.

Kagome's eyes filled with sadness and she rose to go after him, but Bankotsu's arm wrapped around her wrist.

She blinked and stared at him confused. "He left so upset." The obvious concern in her voice and his spurred Bankotsu into action.

Bankotsu rose to his feet. "I'll go talk to him." He bowed to her and left to look for Inuyasha.

Kagome blinked and waited for his return. She pushed her food around on her plate and sighed.

XOXOXO:

A/N: That's it for chapter sixteen. As you can see a lot of research went into this chapter. I hope you didn't mind the information terms overload at the beginning but I felt it prudent to get it out of the way first so you could enjoy the chapter without confusion and interruptions...

Anyways I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. Reviews are any author's biggest joy. XD