InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Man Steals the Bride ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Dr. Pepper, Keebler's Crackers, Harry Potter or anything else I may be mistaken to own in this story. I also make no profit off of this fic either. Nothing, nada, zilch. Okey-dokey? Good, now you may move onto the fic.

The Best Man Steals the Bride

By: Msmelanie (Now being known as Fondest Desire)

Chapter Twenty-Three: Aftermath

Authors Note: Thank you so much for hanging in there with me everyone. I'm very pleased that you are still there, and I really hope you are enjoying the ending.

Important: Try not to get confused, but love is tricky to explain sometimes.

-this symbol is for the song. The song is Something to Talk About by Bonnie Raitt

/-backslashes are flashbacks in the story/

Keep that straight and enjoy yourself!.

Day: Monday

Place: Inuyasha's Car

Time: 6:15 P.M.

Inuyasha quickly started his car up and continued to leave as quick as he could. 'Damn!' he bopped his head on the steering wheel. He felt so weird inside. 'Shit! Why am I acting like this? It was just a little kiss!'

Just then a song started to play on his radio as he started to drive home.

People are talking, talking about people.

I hear them whisper, you can't believe it.

They think we're lovers, kept under covers.

I just ignore it, but they keep saying…

We laugh just a little too loud,

We stand just a little too close…

/ Kagome kept laughing. “You could have, ha ha ha ahaha ha ha, just said so!”

Inuyasha brought her up to his chest to tickle the sides of her belly better. “That wouldn't have been as much fun!” He laughed.

Kagome couldn't take anymore. “Inuyasha!” she gave out her battle cry warning as she started to attack his feet.

“No, no, no! Not the feet, not the hahahhaahahahah!” Inuyasha couldn't control himself, but he wouldn't give in. He brought his chin down on her shoulder so she couldn't escape as he started to tickle her sides more.

But at that moment, the door swung open./

Inuyasha didn't know why, but this song started to seem to make sense. 'Sounds like me and…'

We stare just a little too long…

Maybe their seeing, something we don't darlin'

/ Sango crossed her arms. “You two just don't get it.” She said as she walked off./

Wait! Inuyasha my friend?

/“What!” Inuyasha yelled. He was tired and Miroku was just pissing him off more.

Are you...positive you have no feelings toward this girl?

Inuyasha hung up./

/Miroku frowned at him. "I take it from your tone that you have become quite more acquainted with the girl than you want Hojo to know."

Inuyasha didn't answer./

/Miroku ignored his request. "Who do you really believe belongs with Kagome? Hojo? Or you?"

Without waiting for an answer, Miroku turned to leave as Inuyasha continued to his house./

Let's give 'em something to talk about.

Day: Monday

Place: Kagome's Dorm

Time: 6:16 P.M.

Kagome sighed as she threw herself on her bed. What had happened? Her heart was beating non-stop. 'What is wrong with me? I have got to relax.'

She stopped to turn the radio on. A little music might help.

Let's give 'em something to talk about.

How about Love?

I feel so foolish, I never noticed.

You act so nervous, could you be falling for me?

Kagome sat up on her bed. This song was very interesting…

It took a rumor, to make me wonder.

Now I'm convinced, I'm going under.

Kagome bit her lip again. Could the song be right? Could Inuyasha, maybe have…?

Day: Monday

Place: Inuyasha's Car

Time: 6:17 P.M.

Thinking 'bout you every day.

/But for some reason, having Kitten beside him reading again made him feel better. Like nothing had changed. He felt really peaceful…/

Dreaming 'bout you every night.

/Inuyasha lied in his bed, unable to fall asleep. `Shoot, what is in that red notebook? Does Hojo know? Is it about Hojo?' He shifted in his bed to lay on his side. `And what was with Sango's question? Kagome or Hojo? Their both friends, and so far that hasn't been much of a bad thing.' He turned around to lay on his other side. `What is she is hiding something else though? Like someone hurt her bad? Why won't she tell me!'/

Hoping that you feel the same way.

Now that we know it, let's really it show it, darlin'!

Inuyasha stopped just in time to avoid running a stop sign. His heart started to beat very quick, as everything clicked into place. "Could…could Kagome be…could I be?"

Day: Monday

Place: Kagome's dorm

Time: 6:19 P.M.

Kagome laid down on her back as she finished listening to the song.

Let's give them something to talk about.

Let's give them something to figure out.

Let's give them something to talk about.

How about love, love, love, love?

It hit her like a ton of bricks as her eyes grew wide. She quickly ran off to see Sango.

Place: Sango's dorm

Time: 6:19 P.M.

Knock:Knock: Knock:Knock Knock:Knock: Knock:Knock Knock:Knock: Knock:Knock!

Sango answered the door. Apparently someone needed to see her very bad.

"SANGO!" Kagome yelled as she opened the door. "I'm in DEEP! I think…I-I think Inuyasha might love me! And and!" She collapsed on Sango's bed. "I think I might really love him too!"

Sango smiled as she sighed. "You finally figured it out, huh?"

Kagome hugged Sango's pillow. "What do I do? I mean, we kissed this REALLY great kiss, and then we ran away and then this song…help me, I don't know what to do!"

"First of all." Sango smiled as she went over to sit by her friend. "You need to stop strangling my poor pillow."

"Sango." Kagome whined. "This isn't good. I promised Hojo I'd marry him, but I didn't really think I'd fall for Inuyasha. What should I do? What's going to happen?" She started to hug Sango's pillow again very tightly. "Should I say something to Hojo? Should I ignore this feeling?"

Sango shrugged. "I don't know, Kagome."

Kagome's mouth dropped open. "B-but Sango, you ALWAYS have the answers!"

Sango hugged Kagome gently. Her friend was definitely riled up. "I don't have answers for love, Kagome. That isn't exactly a math subject."

"Then…" Kagome replied shakily. "What should I do?"

Sango chuckled. "I don't know. I can't say, just follow your heart. All right?"

"Follow my heart. Follow my heart." Kagome chanted. "I can't Sango! It keeps shouting 'I don't know, ask Sango!'"

Sango laughed. "That's your brain, silly. Give yourself some time, go lie down in your room, listen to some music…then listen to your heart."

"That's partly how this began." Kagome grumbled as she slowly got up and walked out.

"Don't worry." Sango called out to her. "Everything will be alright."

Place: Inuyasha's Place/living room

Time: 6:40 P.M.

Inuyasha fidgeted his fingers nervously on the couch. 'What if she really doesn't? What if I tell her how I feel? What about Hojo? Would she still marry him? Would I want to though? Interrupt their lives?'

"What's wrong with you?"

Inuyasha ignored his brother. 'But she would need help. And care and stuff. Can I do that? And, and she'll be gone one day. Yeah, there's still time, but what about later? What if we get married? Have children? Could I deal with that? Could I deal with life alone?'

"Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha slammed the back of his head on the couch. 'Some friend I turn out to be. How could I fall for her? Did she really fall for me? Can I be with her, knowing it wouldn't be for long?'

"PUPPY!"

That caught Inuyasha's attention. Dammit, why did Sesshoumaru call him by his real name! "Don't call me that, Fluffy!"

Sesshoumaru frowned. He knew he'd be called by his real name as well if he did that. "What is going on in that brain of yours?"

"Why should I tell you!" Inuyasha shouted as he stood up. "It's none of your damn business!"

Sesshoumaru was angry for a moment, then smiled. "Oh, I see. You figured out your feelings finally, haven't you?"

Inuyasha crossed his arms. 'Everyone knew. Miroku knew. Sesshoumaru knew. Even Hojo could see it and I told them all they were wrong!'

He sat back down on the couch and stared at the ceiling. 'What do I do now…what?'

He looked down at his cell and started to dial…

hello?

"Miroku." Inuyasha tried to say calmly. " I need your damn help."

With what?

Inuyasha was quiet a moment. "I think…I think I kinda…sorta…like Kitten…more than a friend."

(sigh) Of course you do. It's about time you realized it.

"Well, stop flapping your mouth and tell me what I should do?" Inuyasha commanded.

Well, I suppose there are only two options, aren't there? Tell Kagome and Hojo how you feel, and stop their wedding.

"I can't do that!" Inuyasha shouted into the phone. "I mean, Hojo likes Kagome, he wants to take care of her! I-I can't take care of her! Everytime we get close, I'd just remember she would be dying." He said quietly. "I can't live like that. Hojo can though."

There was silence on Miroku's end. Fine, then stay quiet. He sounded upset. If you don't love her enough to tell her, then just stay quiet and let her have a Happily ever after with Hojo. Does that sound better?

Inuyasha was quiet. "…"

He turned himself away from the cell as he hung up and turned it off. He set it on the couch. Angrily, he stood up and started to look around. "Where are my fucking keys!"

"Try your jeans." Sesshoumaru frowned.

Inuyasha checked his pants, and quickly went out the front door.

Sesshoumaru crossed his arms. "I pray you are making the right decision, Inuyasha."

Day: The Big Day

Place: It doesn't matter

Time: Two hours before the big moment

Inuyasha stared ahead. He watched the lake in front of him. He sat down and continued to stare at it.

He was hiding. He didn't want to be there. He wanted to be anywhere but THERE.

So he was here. Safe, open, easy to understand. Nature.

Cold as hell being winter, but beggars can't be choosers.

'I'm doing the right thing.' He asserted himself.

Ever since that day, with the kiss, he had chosen…

To completely ignore Kagome.

He didn't talk to her, visit her, he didn't even look at her anymore!

She tried and tried to talk to him. Dozens of messages on his answering machine, tons of letters, emails…

She tried to talk to him in person several times, but he always ignored her.

One day, he couldn't take it anymore, and told her to go fuck the hell off. The assignment was long since done, and he got the grade he wanted. He didn't need her anymore.

It hurt, but it worked. The calls, the visits, it all stopped.

He had finally lost her as a friend.

He stared out into space. He couldn't take care of her. He couldn't be with her, knowing she could kick the bucket soon one day. That she would need help, that she might need medical care every day…

Mostly, he just couldn't stand the thought of losing her. 'She's better off with Hojo. He'll take care of her until the end.'

It was better this way. Leaving her behind and going on with his life would be a lot better than staying with her and watching her go through the rest of her life…

Miroku had been upset for a long time. He kept telling Inuyasha that he HAD to tell Kagome what was going on.

Inuyasha never listened.

The time was getting closer. He only had to deal with seeing her one more time…

He stood up and walked back to his car. 'It's time.' He thought sadly.

It was time to let her go for good.

It was time to leave and get dressed for the wedding.

It was time to be the best man and watch as Hojo married his bride, Kagome.

It was time.

Oh, but god how he wished it never had to be.