InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages ❯ Backed into a Corner ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sad to say, I do not own Inuyasha or any other anime character in existence. If I did, I wouldn't be using such a slow, evil computer. I'd be able to afford one so advanced it could write my stories for me, lol……

.

.

.

.

Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages

Chapter Three

.

.

.

The apartment was silent save for the low ticking of the clock that hung on the kitchen wall. Rin was now sitting in one of the two chairs (that didn't quite match) at the kitchen table staring at Inuyasha, and Inuyasha was sitting in the other staring back at her. There was very little movement.

An hour before it had not been half so peaceful. Right after discovering Rin in his bedroom, along with two small suitcases and an obnoxiously cute teddy bear, Inuyasha had gone on the rampage of his life. Ranting, phone calls, and tearing through the small pile of papers that Sesshoumaru had left more than occupied Inuyasha, while Rin just giggled and called him 'silly Uncle Inu' over and over. The poor hanyou had lost count of the number of times he'd told Rin to STOP calling him Inu! He never could stand that childhood nickname of his.

Though Inuyasha's phone calls got him no answers, going through the pile of papers did. In them, he found a letter from Sesshoumaru with a check that had a staggering figure written on it along with his name.

The content of the letter was still swimming through his addled mind, having read it so many times that he'd memorized it nearly word for word. The letter went something like this:

.

.

Inuyasha,

.

I had a feeling you would be stubborn about this, so I planned ahead in case I had to resort to more drastic measures. By the time you read this letter, I will be well on my way to a destination that will remain unknown to you, for I have important business that I cannot disclose the nature of at this time. But where I am going is not a place to take a child.

Rin is of no relation to either you or I as you can see, since she is obviously full human. But several months ago, during the time father was bedridden and living his last days in the hospital, I came upon a small child. The circumstances are not important, but in the end I adopted her as my own child.

For now though, since I will be away I had to find a trustworthy caretaker to keep her, one that is not interested in the family money and someone who would not hurt her. As barbaric as you are, I trust that you would not harm a small child or use her against me. You also have family connections, as much as you try to deny them.

I should be away about a month and the check I wrote you is more than enough for both of you to live on comfortably. I will check in with you when possible.

.

Sesshoumaru

.

.

Inuyasha almost fell off the sofa while reading the statements explaining Rin and her connection to Sesshoumaru. That cold-hearted jerk couldn't possibly have adopted a child, and a human one at that! Surely this had to be some kind of sick joke being played on him.

So now he found himself sitting at the table with the dawning realization that he was stuck with a small child for a whole month, and not a single clue about how to take care of one! Even growing up he'd never had many children around him, preferring to be a loner.

"Uncle Inu?" Rin suddenly spoke up, startling him out of his thoughts.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Would you PLEASE stop calling me that! My name is I-nu-ya-sha! Inuyasha, got that?" Somehow, he knew his efforts were probably wasted on her. Maybe it was the other 143 times he'd corrected her so far.

"Uncle Inu, I'm hungry."

Groaning, Inuyasha laid his head down on his arms and refused to look at her. What had started out as just a bad day was turning into a child-sized nightmare. 'What kind of foods do human brats eat anyway?' He tried to think back to his own childhood but failed miserably.

Really, in the end he didn't have much of a choice as to what to feed her. The only things he could find in his cabinets were ramen…and ramen. For a kitchen belonging to a bachelor without a job, who probably couldn't cook if his life depended on it anyway, are we surprised?

"There, eat." Inuyasha dropped a Tupperware bowl full of hot soup in front of her with a set of slightly rough chopsticks before sitting down across from her again to watch. No matter how much he loved ramen, he didn't have much of an appetite at the moment.

Rin just sat, staring into the bowl.

'What the heck is her problem?' He growled internally. 'I went through all that trouble for her to just sit and stare at it? Feh, little brat.'

When she continued to sit for several minutes without moving, Inuyasha finally got tired of waiting on her and said something. "Something wrong with it, kid?"

Rin looked up, startled. "It's still too hot, Uncle Inu!"

Inuyasha cringed and tried to ignore the Uncle Inu offense. He had forgotten that she was human for a moment and couldn't stand the extreme heat of the soup. Human children even more so. "W-well, just…blow on it or something!" He finally snapped. If he had to sit there much longer and stare at her staring at her soup, he was going to go crazy!

When she actually did as he suggested, Inuyasha could have sighed in relief. 'Maybe kids aren't so bad if they do what you tell them. She seems well-behaved enough, so maybe I won't have to many problems.'

Dream on, Inuyasha, dream on…

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

The faint sound of the plane's engines could be heard from the interior of the well-insulated passenger area of Sesshoumaru's private plane. It was small but very comfortable inside, and he had enough room to stretch out and get some rest during the overnight flight.

Too bad he couldn't sleep.

After all the trouble and planning he'd went through to make sure this trip was a success, he still couldn't help but wonder if it was the right thing to do, leaving Rin with Inuyasha. Well, there wasn't much he could do about it now. The plans had been laid and there was no backing out of them, as much as he might like to try. He was expected to follow through.

Sitting back in his seat with what could be described as a poker look on his face, the 29-year-old demon lord reflected a bit on the events leading up to this day and his deciding to leave Rin in such questionable hands.

Before Rin had come into his life, Sesshoumaru truly had hated humans, and the offense he felt at having a human stepmother and half-human brother was something he never could tolerate. It was a weakness in his beloved father that Sesshoumaru never forgave him for.

'When I came upon Rin right before my father died, I had just finally come to realize how alone I really was. I had successfully helped in driving away my brother months before, who was the only family I had left. Suddenly I found money to be the only consolation left for me, which was not really one at all.' That had been a cold realization for the proud dog demon, weakening him considerably and playing a large part in the forming of his actions in the near future. 'I barely realized what I was doing until after I had done it. One moment I was alone, and the next I had a human child entirely dependent on me without any idea of how to handle such a situation.'

It had been a startling turning point in the powerful dog demon's life, one he hadn't been prepared for in the least. But strangely enough Sesshoumaru found the end result to be well worth it.

'Now Inuyasha will be faced with the same dilemma. Will it change him the way it changed me?' Sesshoumaru smiled slightly in amusement. 'I suppose we shall see.'

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Inuyasha was making up the sofa with a few blankets and pillows he'd manage to scrounge up out of an old hope chest of his mother's. As much as he hated to use them, Inuyasha didn't really have any other choice. It was either that or let the kid freeze all night.

While he did this, he suddenly noticed that his bedroom had gotten awfully quiet. He'd sent her in there a short time before with the gruff order to 'do whatever you have to do' and she'd actually obeyed him again.

He carefully peeked around the edge of the door.

"That little brat!" He hissed quietly. "She's sleeping in my bed! Does she actually expect me to sleep on that short, lumpy old couch?" Just the thought was making his longer adult legs ache.

Creeping forward, he was determined to get her on the couch where she was supposed to be, even if he had to throw her there!

He poked her lightly, careful not to scratch her with his claws. "Oi, brat!"

She squirmed a bit in her sleep, but didn't actually wake up. Both her arms were wrapped around the cute teddy bear, which Inuyasha had learned earlier that evening was named 'Sessy-poo'. He had to admit, that was one of the funniest things he'd heard in a LONG time…

Inuyasha tried again. "Wake up, kid!"

This time Rin stirred a bit more, and finally opened her eyes and blinked them sleepily. When she caught sight of Inuyasha hovering over her, she smiled. "I'm sorry, Uncle Inu! Rin forgot to tell you goodnight and hug you!"

Before he could pull away, Rin lunged upwards and gave him the tightest hug she could manage along with a kiss on the cheek. Sitting back down on the bed and burrowing back under the covers, Rin giggled at Inuyasha's stupefied look.

"Goodnight, Uncle Inu!"

Like a zombie, Inuyasha walked from the room. 'Maybe just this once she can have the bed, since it is her first night and all.' Inuyasha thought fuzzily. 'That doesn't mean anything though! I still don't like her, and I'm not nice!'

Huffing, he snapped off the light and went to bed.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Kagome lay in her own bed, staring at the ceiling. She seemed rather preoccupied with it and Sango gave her a knowing look as she settled in her own bed. "Go to sleep, Kagome-chan. Really, I was just kidding when I implied he was up there doing something he shouldn't. You know Inuyasha, he can barely look a girl in the face, much less invite one up to his apartment!"

Kagome rolled her eyes. "I know that, Sango-chan, but why do you think I care?"

"Touchy tonight, aren't we?"

Rolling over in her bed, Kagome turned her back towards Sango. "Goodnight."

Sango knew she should have been annoyed with Kagome's attitude, but she just couldn't bring herself to. It was rare for her friend to show true interest in a man so when she did, Sango couldn't resist teasing her a bit. She'd probably gone a little too far with it though.

"I'm sorry, Kagome-chan."

The girl in the other bed sighed and turned over to face Sango again. "I know, and I'm sorry too. I don't know what my problem is, but ever since I ran into Inuyasha tonight I just can't stop thinking about him. I never had that problem before."

"Maybe it's because he actually talked about something a little more personal with you this time." Sango suggested.

"More like he actually talked to me at all." Kagome's voice was dry. "Normally he has a hard time forming a coherent sentence when I see him."

This amused Sango. "You should probably beware of men like him, Kagome-chan. If he doesn't like to talk, that means he's got secrets that you probably wouldn't want to know about."

"What kind of secrets?" Kagome asked, playing along.

"Well, let's see." Sango thought about it for a moment. "There are the uncommon things, like he works for a secret government agency that deals with aliens and other strange life forms so he can't really talk about himself-"

"Nope, he lost his job, remember?"

"Okay then, there are also the common things. Maybe he's already married and has a wife stashed away somewhere, or he's broke because he's paying child support on a bunch of illegitimate children."

Kagome laughed. "I guess we'll know if that's the case the day the mother gets sick of it and dumps them in his lap to take care of."

"Can you see Inuyasha taking care of a kid?"

The idea struck them both as hilarious, and their laughter echoed around the room, disturbing a certain hanyou in the apartment above who was trying to get some much-needed sleep.

.

.

.

.

I hope you liked this chapter! I promise things will get even more entertaining when certain other characters get involved and attempt to help Inuyasha out in the next chapter. ('Attempt' being the key word) Anyway, please review for me and tell me what you think!