InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages ❯ Pretty in Pink ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I was rather surprised at the fact that no one mentioned anything about Sessy-poo's arm getting cut off by Inuyasha, just like Sesshoumaru's arm got cut off in the series. LOL, I thought at least one person would notice and say something.

.

.

Disclaimer: I do own something really cute with fuzzy ears and a bad temper, but sadly for me it isn't Inuyasha. *Glares at her cat* And just to rub salt in the wound, I don't own any of the other characters either.

.

.

.

.

Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages

Chapter Eight

.

.

.

Kagome yawned widely as the buzzing of her alarm clock broke the early morning silence surrounding her. Throwing her arm out blindly, she sent the annoying piece of equipment flying across the room before snuggling back into bed without a second thought.

"Kagome-chan! What did you do that for?" Sango complained as she sat up in bed. "It's not like you to try putting holes in the wall first thing in the morning!"

"You make it sound like I only put holes in the wall later in the day." This was followed by another yawn as she burrowed more deeply into her cocoon of blankets.

Sango watched her friend in wry amusement before remembering something interesting. Of course, being the good friend that she was, Sango decided to embarrass Kagome a little bit and say something about what was on her mind. "So, I noticed you came home awfully late last night. Care to tell me what you were up to all that time?" Her amusement only grew when she saw the small figure of Kagome stiffen and turn very still underneath the mountain of blankets.

"I knew it! You were with a guy, weren't you?"

The room was completely silent for a moment, before the pile of blankets suddenly exploded and Kagome shot up out of bed, making frantic motions of denial with her hands. "I wasn't! I mean, I was, but not how you're thinking!"

Sango sat forward eagerly. "So who is he?"

Kagome bit her lip and started to fidget nervously. "Well, I did what you told me to and went upstairs yesterday-"

Sango's eyes widened when she saw where this was leading.

"-and I spent the day with Inuyasha and Rin." Kagome's voice had become slightly defensive towards the end as if daring Sango to tease her.

"Oh my God!" The long-haired girl couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Do you mean to tell me you spent the day with Inuyasha and his girlfriend?"

"No!" Kagome shook her head. "Rin's his niece. Well, sort of."

The next few minutes were spent telling Sango about all the odd events of the day before, carefully leaving out certain parts having to do with the perverted Miroku. Kagome could do without one of Sango's 'I hate men' rampages so early in the morning.

Interestingly enough though, she also failed to go into detail about the time she spent at Inuyasha's place AFTER Rin was put to bed.

'I've never had a chance to spend so much time with him alone before, and he actually talked to me, unlike usual. He might act grumpy most of the time, but I think he's not half as bad as he tries to make everyone think he is.' Kagome smiled in private amusement at her thoughts.

"So," Sango finally gestured towards the broken alarm clock in the floor, breaking Kagome out of her silent musings. "Does this mean you set the alarm for such an early time so you could go help him out?"

"Oh my gosh, I completely forgot!" Kagome's eyes widened in horror at the reminder that she was now running late after spending so much time talking.

The sound of Sango's laughter followed Kagome as she frantically barreled out of the bedroom and into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

This had to be the absolute WORST day of Inuyasha's life.

Just when he was convinced things were going to get better after spending the evening with Kagome alone, things went to hell in a hand basket pretty fast. It must be a law of physics or something.

"Hold still!" The little girl scolded him seriously. "If you move, Rin might mess up!"

Inuyasha continued to glower at his reflection in the small mirror Rin had so 'kindly' leaned up against the wall before closing his eyes. The sight of himself right now was just too painful to bear.

Trying to cheer himself up a bit, Inuyasha thought back on the pervious evening's events.

.

.

~Flashback~

.

"Wow, I never realized how hard having a child would be." Kagome admitted, shutting the door of the bedroom behind her. "I didn't think Rin would ever fall asleep without her teddy bear. What in the world could have happened to it?"

Inuyasha reluctantly reached behind the sofa, pulling out the injured ball of fluff.

Kagome sweatdropped and gingerly took it from his hand to examine the damage as well as the odd material the bear seemed to be made out of. "Oh my goodness. Do I even want to know how this happened?"

"Nope."

Sighing, Kagome smiled slightly. "I somehow doubt you have a needle and thread around here anywhere, but if you did then I could probably fix it. Then Rin could have him back and you wouldn't have to play tea party with her anymore." Her voice took on a teasing tone. "I could tell you were having SO much fun."

Inuyasha paled. "You mean you heard that?"

"Everything." Kagome let out a small giggle when he groaned. "You mean you didn't hear me standing at the door and laughing? I wouldn't have come in so soon but I actually felt bad for you!"

The hanyou glared at her. "What do you mean 'so soon'? You should have come in a lot sooner than that if you ask me!"

"But that wouldn't have been any fun at all!"

The two continued to argue playfully until Inuyasha suddenly remembered her request for the needle and thread. They were not items he would normally keep around the apartment, but once again his mother's chest of belongings would save the day.

.

~End Flashback~

.

.

'It felt so strange watching her use something that once belonged to my mother.' He mused, eyes still closed. 'But I didn't mind at all. It even felt kind of…right.' Inuyasha suddenly wanted to laugh. 'She isn't nearly as skilled as my mother was! I've never seen somebody stab themselves so many times with a needle!'

Kagome had been terribly embarrassed over the end product of her handiwork, because the stitches were more than a little uneven and messy. Inuyasha blushed when he remembered his response to her criticism.

'I can't believe I told her it looked perfect! How corny could I possibly get?'

He didn't, however, regret the look she gave him when he said that, and Inuyasha knew he'd make a fool of himself any day if he could get her to look at him like that again.

The daydreaming hanyou was suddenly and painfully pulled out of his thoughts when he felt a sharp tug on his long hair.

"Ow! Don't pull so hard, runt! Just because I'm a half-demon doesn't mean I can't feel it!"

Rin only giggled and continued to work.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Kagome wanted to kick herself for running so late! She'd had every intention of getting up early and taking Inuyasha and Rin some breakfast, since the hanyou still hadn't had a chance to stock his cabinets with anything but ramen, but everything suddenly seemed determined to get in her way. She'd finally given up on the food idea and settled for planning on dragging the pair grocery shopping later that day.

"I hope he's isn't having too much trouble!" Kagome was finally on her way, jogging up the apartment stairs. "Hopefully since we put Rin's bear in bed with her last night, she'll play with him and leave poor Inuyasha alone."

Walking quickly down the hallway towards her destination, Kagome stopped in front of Inuyasha's apartment door and moved to knock. It was then that she heard the loud exclamation of pain coming from inside.

'Is something wrong?' Kagome wondered.

She decided against knocking and placed her hand on the doorknob instead. Knowing Inuyasha, he'd probably left it unlocked again. He seemed to believe he had nothing to fear since he could easily hear anyone coming, but ever since Rin got dropped into his life he didn't seem to have much of a chance to pay attention.

"The idiot." Kagome muttered under her breath as she flung open the door and stepped inside, ready to save the hanyou from whatever torture Rin was inflicting on him this time.

Those intentions died with the advent of Kagome's hysterical laughter.

"It's not funny!" Inuyasha protested hotly as he glared at her from where he was sitting on the floor. The bad day he'd thought couldn't possibly get any worse just went up in flames. "Oi, would you stop laughing!?!?"

"I-I'm s-s-sorry!" Kagome gasped in a vain attempt to pull herself together. "But you l-look so…cute!"

Okay, that did it! Inuyasha raised his arms to undo all the damage to his poor hair, but Kagome noticed and hurried to stop him.

"Wait, don't mess it up!" She cried, grabbing his hands with both of hers. That action alone was enough to stop Inuyasha in his tracks. "It's too cute! Besides, now that I'm here, I can help!"

Hell hath no flame larger than the one that set Inuyasha's face on fire. There was no way he could possibly manage to get more embarassed than he was then!

Then again, with Kagome's hands in his hair, yes he could.

Rin, being the cute little girl that she was, had been liberally supplied by Sesshoumaru with plenty of hair bands, clips, bows, and anything else her little heart could possibly desire in the way of hair accessories. And to his horror, about half her collection now resided in Inuyasha's 'pretty' hair.

Hair that Kagome just happened to be unabashedly running her fingers through, getting a very interesting reaction from the subject of her ministrations. The hanyou had never felt anything so good in his entire life.

'I can't believe Kagome doesn't realize what she's doing to me!' Inuyasha had all he could do not to groan in frustration. Instead he leaned back into the touch, completely forgetting how the situation had started.

Kagome, meanwhile, was facing a few temptations of her own.

'I just can't seem to help myself. I've wanted to run my fingers through his hair for so long that it was nearly driving me crazy! It's so long and silky…and even worse, I've always wanted to touch those fuzzy ears of his.' Kagome stopped the movement of her hands for a moment and bit her lip in indecision. 'Should I risk it? It might make him mad…'

Oh, what the heck. She might never get a better opportunity!

'WHAT THE HELL?!?!' Inuyasha's eyes snapped open at the feeling of someone lightly caressing his ears, and his back stiffened in shock. 'Does she realize how personal she's getting? Not that I mind, but…' His thoughts practically flew out of his head when she increased the pressure of her hands.

Then he started to purr.

'Oh my!' Kagome nearly pulled her hands away at the odd sound. 'Do dog demon's actually purr? Maybe I made a mistake and he's really a cat demon?'

Well, whatever was going on, both she and Rin found it cute. The little girl had long since finished with Inuyasha's hair and was now watching the pair in fascination.

"Can I have a turn next?"

This time Kagome really did pull her hands back as she was brought back to earth by the innocent question, and Inuyasha nearly fell over backwards at the sudden loss of contact.

"Um, maybe later, Rin!" Kagome laughed nervously and avoided looking at the disgruntled hanyou in the floor. Was he really mad at her for doing that? It was pretty obvious he was peeved about something.

'How could I have forgotten about the runt? Damn my bad luck!' He wanted to sit and curse himself and his life some more, but decided he probably needed a few moments to cool down. Especially before he could deal with or even look at Kagome again. Standing up, he muttered "I'll be back in a minute."

Walking into the bathroom, he slammed the door behind him and left a very confused and slightly hurt Kagome staring after him.

But soon, though, her frown turned into a smile when she heard grumbling coming from the bathroom that sounded suspiciously like "Damn, prissy looking hair!" and then "Pink! Why did it all have to be pink?!".

'Oh well, I suppose he would be a tiny bit upset about his hair,' She laughed and shook her head before picking herself up off the floor. "At least it was fun!"

"Yeah, for YOU maybe! Not for me!" A shouted reply came from the bathroom.

Liar.

.

.

.

.

Another chapter completed! Are things getting a little bit more interesting? I hope so! That was a really fun chapter to write, although difficult as well. So if you enjoyed it, then please do me a huge favor and review! You don't know how happy you guys make me when you take the time to leave me some comments. ^_^