InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ What Will You Do, Kikyo? ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
What Will You Do, Kikyo?
 
“And why are you telling me this?” she asked suspiciously after Naraku told her that her cousin was now with a hanyou… one named Inuyasha. Kikyo was hardly pleased with this information, but she was unsure of why this demon would come to her with it.
 
She didn't trust Naraku. She never trusted him in all the years she'd known him; he was a demon and she could feel he was one of the worst types.
 
“Why, Kikyo, I thought you'd like to know,” he answered her.
 
She narrowed her eyes, “You don't do anything unless it serves a purpose for you.”
 
“That may be true, but are you just going to sit back and watch Kagome do this?”
 
“I'm watching nothing. What makes you think that she'll even listen to me? She never has before. This will just as all the others, I need to do nothing.”
 
“Are you sure? Weren't you involved with the half-breed as well?”
 
“How do you know that?”
 
“Now, now, I have the ability to find out anything I want to. You know that. Tell me; wouldn't you rather destroy this now before Inuyasha has a chance to really hurt her?”
 
Kikyo said nothing. Despite what people thought of her relationship with her cousin, she did love her. She disapproved of her attitude towards demons and even more so of her relationships with them, but she cared for her. She knew demons were evil and she knew they caused humans nothing but pain. Kagome never seemed to learn that.
 
She, herself, had almost fallen prey to demon blood. Inuyasha Takahashi. She had thought that as long as he was part human, she could be happy with him. But she couldn't, she couldn't forget what the other half of him was. One day she had asked him if he would become human, he wouldn't.
 
And now he was after Kagome.
 
“Get out of my house, Naraku.”
 
Naraku smirked but did as he was told and left her house, leaving the woman to her thoughts concerning the hanyou and her cousin.
 
----
 
“Do you honestly think this will work?” Abi asked. From what she put together through the bits and pieces she caught from all of this, his plan was sheer idiocy. Not that he'd ever make it easy for her and keep her up to date on details.
 
Naraku looked at her, annoyance clearly written on his face. He hated when people questioned him and Abi has been lately making that a habit. “I know Kikyo and I know her hatred of demons. She won't let Inuyasha near Kagome now that she knows.”
 
“Then what makes you think she'll let you?”
 
“She cannot control me. But she knows she has an extent over Inuyasha.”
 
Abi shook her head. The arrogant fool thought too much of himself and too little of others. This plan would fail; she'd seen the attraction between the hanyou and the matchmaker… something as simple as this wouldn't tear them, no matter who was doing the tearing.
 
Silence overtook the room and nothing more was said between the demons. Naraku refused to speak on the subject and, honestly, Abi had heard enough.
 
----
 
“Why are you going to do this to him?” Rin asked in disdain.
 
“I'm not doing anything bad, Rin. He is my client and I'm doing what's best for him,” Kagome defended herself.
 
Rin shook her head, “He didn't even do anything to you.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “This isn't the same deal as Inuyasha. I think he needs a girl like her.”
 
“What's not the same deal as Inuyasha?” asked Botan as she came in with Momiji.
 
“Kagome's going to pair her new client up with Yura,” Kagura told him.
 
She blinked and looked at Kagome, “What'd he do to you?”
 
She sighed, “Nothing. I honestly think Yura will be good for him.” Why was it that every time she had paired Yura with a client, the man had to of done something to her? That only held true with Inuyasha. Yura really wasn't that bad… just quirky, maybe.
 
“She's certifiably insane!” Rin yelled.
 
Kagome looked at her with a blank look, “His best friend is a monkey.”
 
----
 
She had tried before and if she attempted again she would get the same reaction. Kagome would ignore her as always and it would be a waste of time. It was a pity that her cousin had to be so ignorant concerning the true nature of those creatures…
 
“Kikyo,” sang a woman's soft voice.
 
The little girl with long dark hair ran into the older woman's arms. Her mother smiled with ruby lips. “Where are we going, Mama?” asked Kikyo.
 
“To the zoo.
 
Kikyo shook the memories from her head. Even one with human in his blood was not worthy, for he still had the demon blood coursing through his veins. Tainted… evil… though perhaps there was enough human in Inuyasha to reason with him. He was still one of those disgusting creatures but there was no other choice.
 
Kagome had been already deceived by more than one demon, now Kikyo was afraid she had been brainwashed to the point she couldn't protect herself from their kind. She would have to speak with Inuyasha. At least with Kagome's demon child, he was still young and harmless… perhaps there would be a chance for his redemption, but in order for the young demon to be raised as a human, he would need a human stepfather.
 
She grabbed her coat and walked out the door. She had a visit to make.
 
----
 
“You're not welcome here,” Miroku said when he saw her face.
 
Kikyo ignored his comment and asked, “Where is Inuyasha?”
 
“Why?” he asked suspiciously.
 
“I have something I need to speak to him about, I went to his house and he wasn't there, he isn't at his work either,” she told him without much feeling.
 
“He doesn't want to speak to you, Kikyo. Now go away,” he didn't say anything else and slammed the door in her face.
 
She stayed put for a moment or so before walking away. She shouldn't have expected anything different. He was another of the many fools in this world who trust those creatures. She strolled down the street, her eyes fixed on the sidewalk.
 
She wasn't sure why it seemed that only she saw that demons and humans were not meant to co-exist. They were barely more than animals. They didn't deserve love and affection… they didn't even deserve the lives they lived.
 
“Mama!” cried the child as her mother was grabbed by a group of thieves and pulled into a nearby ally. She ran after them.
 
The demon with long black hair and beady eyes licked his ruby colored lips and laughed at the little girl. Her mother's eyes widened, “Kikyo, r-“ her voice was cut off as the demon's tongue lashed out and encircled her throat.
 
She stopped and squeezed her eyes shut, forcing the memories away. “Damn it,” she muttered.
 
She stopped in front of Inuyasha's apartment. She walked into the building and checked her purse. She took out a single key and slid it into the lock and walked inside. She knew she kept that key for a reason.
 
She sat down in one of his large chairs and waited for his return. She stared at the wood table in front of her, littered with Ramen cups, empty chips bags and soda cans. She closed her eyes.
 
She was frozen still, tears welling in her eyes. “Mama!” she cried as she watched the moth demon drained the very life out her mother.
 
The demons all laughed as he fed on her. “Not feelin' very merciful, huh, Gatenmaru?” one of them had asked. He merely laughed in response as he allowed the corpse to fall to the cold ground.
 
Kikyo fell to her knees and stared in shock, tears streaming down her face at the scene she had witnessed. She looked with frightened eyes at the leader, Gatenmaru, as he stared at her.
 
“What should we do with the kid, boss?”
 
He smirked and grabbed her face with his hand and grinned a sickening smile. Kikyo felt her body shake, she tried to scream but no sound came out.
 
Before he could do anything, there were voices heard. Kikyo looked to see five or more policeman shouting things; she couldn't comprehend what they were saying. Gunshots rang through the air and the demons ran off.
 
One of the policemen kneeled in front of her, but her eyes weren't focused, her head was spinning and her world went black.
 
Gatenmaru, a moth demon she later learned, was never captured. She wiped a solitary tear from her eye. She and her father never spoke of it after that and that was the day Kikyo learned demons were nothing more than animals preying on the humans. They could not be trusted.
 
--
 
The last thing Inuyasha had expected to see when he came home was Kikyo sitting in his chair. “How did you get in here?” he asked.
 
She tossed him the key, “I held on to that, but after tonight I won't need it any longer.”
 
“What do you want, Kikyo?” he asked her, in a more annoyed tone.
 
“I want you to leave my cousin alone,” she told him evenly.
 
“No,” he answered just as squarely.
 
She stood and walked over to him. “Do you think I don't know why you're doing this, Inuyasha?”
 
“What?”
 
“You're angry with me for making a fool out of you. You hate me because I left you and now you want my cousin for one of two things. Revenge, trying to make me jealous or planning to hurt her for what I did-“
 
“I would never hurt Kagome!” he yelled, cutting her off.
 
Or,” she continued. “You found a replacement in her.”
 
He furrowed his brows. “Get out of here,” he growled.
 
“Please, why else would you have gotten involved with my cousin? We're blood and resemble each other well, don't we?”
 
“Shut up, Kikyo. We're through, you made that clear, I love Kagome now!”
 
“Whatever reason you're with her doesn't matter. I don't care. Just leave her.”
 
“Why should I?”
 
“Don't you know her past, Inuyasha? She's a walking tragedy and you will only make things worse. You're a demon and she's human, you're destined to hurt her.”
 
“No, I won't. Why I'm with Kagome has nothing to do with you, Kikyo. I'm not leaving her.”
 
“I've heard that before. There was Kouga, Bankotsu, Houjo and Suikotsu… you're just another one on the list. You will hurt her, you or your demon half… you and I both know how things can get when you lose control. Let her go before you damage her spirit even more, or worse. If you care about her like you think you do, do as I say.”
 
She walked passed him and out of the apartment. Inuyasha looked at the ground. Yes, they both knew how he could get. When his demon blood overpowered him… he believed that was one of the reasons Kikyo had begun believing there was no chance for them… one of the reasons she left him.
 
What was he supposed to do? Everything in him shouted not to listen, but still he wasn't sure. Could Kikyo have been right? One of his greatest fears was that he would hurt Kagome…
 
He shook his head. No, he wouldn't let Kikyo get to him. He would never hurt Kagome and he knew in his heart that he would never hurt her.
 
It was his mind that wasn't so sure…
 
----
 
Demons were evil, heartless creatures.
 
She knew why Naraku had interfered; he wanted her cousin as well. She wouldn't let him near her though, even if she had gotten through to the hanyou.
 
She wouldn't let anything happen to Kagome. She wouldn't sit and watch this time.
 
Dang, this chapter was tough to write. I had so many ideas before I settled on this one. I was actually surprised how Kikyo-heavy this got. So now we all know that she's not just some prejudice bitch. She's one with reasons. In any case, I hope you enjoyed this. Please review.
 
Peace,
Cat