InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ Her Fourth Love: The Slasher ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
Her Fourth Love: The Slasher
 
 
Laughter filled his own room as he recalled the curse Tsubaki had place on the pediatrician. Her evilly creative mind outshining his own in that instant, she had taken the soul of a dead homicidal maniac and fused it with Suikotsu's own soul.
 
Something—Naraku was somewhat ashamed to admit—that he would have never thought of doing.
 
Genius as it was, it caused nearly no suspicion… deemed schizophrenic by psychiatrists and placed in a mental hospital rather than looking into more paranormal explanations. That was… when they had finally figured out who was the murderer.
 
He remembered fondly on that time. And he looked fondly on to the future. His plan set in his mind. Abi would eat her words… if he didn't rip out her throat first.
 
----
 
She shuddered as she turned off the television. The bleach blond reporter cut off by the remote in Kagome's trembling hand. She hadn't wanted to hear anymore of “The Slasher” or his nightly slaughters.
 
It began two months prior, when the bodies first began appearing. Men, women, children, it didn't seem to matter to the serial killer. None of them had a connection, no similar features, never had any of them been in contact. The only thing that connected them to one another was their deaths.
 
Slashed apart—obviously the reason for the name dubbed upon him or her—by something sharp... and claw-like. For this reason so many believed it to be the work of a demon.
 
Kagome, however, wasn't quite sure...
 
Something was wrong. Suikotsu had been acting so strange lately…she walked into the bathroom, seemingly unnoticed by the man in question.
 
“The blood… blood…” he muttered repeatedly as he washed his hands furiously under the steaming faucet, rubbing them so raw Kagome saw they were red.
 
She immediately turned off the water, “Suikotsu! What's wrong with you??” she screamed.
 
He looked at her with terrified eyes and yelled, “No! I won't!” He ran off, leaving a very confused Kagome.
 
The next few weeks weren't any better either. There were some good days, true, when he seemed like the same old children's doctor she grew to love… but the others…well, they weren't the good days…
 
Nights spent together, he'd toss and turn, muttering more about blood and screaming. Days spent together, he was distant. They weren't like they used to be and it worried her.
 
--
 
“I don't know, Kagome,” Rin said after Kagome told her everything. “It seems kind of weird to me.”
 
“I know…I just can't find a reason…” she sighed. “There is no reason he should be acting like this…”
 
“Unless he's living another life,” Rin offered.
 
Kagome gave her an exasperated look.
 
“I'm just trying to help.”
 
“I know, I just- I can't help but think that maybe… maybe he's the one… maybe he's the man killing all of those people.”
 
“You're paranoid. Maybe he's just not as great a guy as you think. Maybe he's like the others. A cheater and now he feels guilty. I know you don't want to here that but it's a big possibility.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “No, it's always blood and screaming. There are nights I wonder that same thing though... especially when he'd run into the bathroom washing his hands raw after we'd make love. Don't think it didn't cross my mind that there could be another woman... or man... residing in his heart, waiting for him to turn from me. But the longer we spend together...” she paused and sighed, “I know that isn't the reason anymore. I think it's something darker and more dangerous. I think he is... I'm more than sure he's 'The Slasher'... if you could just here him... it's tearing him up, he needs help!”
 
“Or maybe he's just had some bad dreams about surgeries going wrong. He is a doctor,” Rin stated, the notion of the light-hearted Suikotsu being a serial killer impossible to her. Kagome knew Rin would rather believe him a cheater than a murderer—quite honestly so would she.
 
“I don't think that's it…” she trailed off. `I don't think that's it at all.'
 
--
 
And she had no clue how right she was. Suikotsu remained in their room, arms on his legs and head in his hands...
 
He knew what was happening. He tried so desperately to fight it, but the urge washed over him and he'd submit unwillingly but so. By the time he gained back his control... there would be another bloody body at his feet.
 
He looked at the claws lying on the floor. No matter how he wished and desired to throw them away, to be rid of them forever, he couldn't. He wasn't even completely sure of how he got them.
 
If he threw them away... then the police might find him. That was hardly the true reason... but it was the only justification he really had for himself. For why he found it impossible to detach himself from the claws for good.
 
Perhaps he should have called the police. He should turn himself in. Then he wouldn't hurt any more people. They would stop him.
 
They'd stop him from hurting her. He knew she was miserable and he knew she was probably suspicious. He had to fight with himself daily when thoughts would enter his mind of killing her, of how soft her flesh would be beneath those claws, how easily her blood would spill.
 
So far he'd been successful in keeping her safe from him... but how long could he?
 
He never turned himself in and very soon after... he found out how long...
 
----
 
Weeks had passed since the chat with Rin and Kagome had mentioned no more about it. Silently stewing in her own mind, she distanced herself from Suikotsu nearly as much as he attempted to stay distant from her, he taking the couch now rather than share the bed.
 
The next night was the night she decided to find out for herself what her darling boyfriend was up to. And to find out if she was right about “The Slasher”.
 
She followed her lover when he left the apartment, groaning as quietly as he could when he would get that headache of his, muttering—arguing, more like it—to himself.
 
She noticed the claws in his hand... she knew it was him. Her heart broke and a chill broke over her, but morbid curiosity kept her going after him into an ally. She needed to see what the man she loved was capable of doing to innocent people... while it was happening.
 
And what she saw horrified her far more than any horror movie she'd ever seen. The woman screamed and pleaded with him to let her live, but it seemed any sign of her Suikotsu was gone. Replaced with some savage monster, laughing with glee as he slid his sharp claws into her skin.
 
Kagome knew she should do something. She should stop him! But fear kept her anchored behind a dumpster, peeking out from the corner, tears streaming from her eyes and blood flowing from her bottom lip, having bitten it through.
 
She disgusted herself and she couldn't quiet the sob when the woman fell lifeless to the ground. Her eyes staring, unblinking, accusingly at her.
 
He heard her and turned, grinning. Happy, it seemed, to have been graced with seconds.
 
Knowing it was her end she braced herself, unable to do anything to save herself as she was too cowardly to save the poor dead woman lying in the dirt.
 
----
 
Kagome woke with a start, cold sweat covered her and Inuyasha woke instantly. “What's the matter?” he asked, worried.
 
She shook her head, “Just a scary dream. That's all.”
 
He nodded and held her as they went back to sleep. She listened to his quiet snores as he fell back, easily, into his slumber. She could only think of her dream, her memories...
 
She should have been dead. She shouldn't have been lying there next to Inuyasha that night. But something had happened and Suikotsu ran away from her, apparently not able to do to her what she'd witnessed him do to another.
 
It was then that she knew he truly loved her.
 
Yet, all the same, she called the authorities and turned him in. Diagnosed with Schizophrenia, he was committed and Kagome never saw him again. Depressed with loneliness, she remembered that she never believed again... before Inuyasha of course.
 
She looked desperately at the sleeping hanyou, praying that he would not be the one to break her forever. That he could be the one constant male figure in her son's life.
 
She couldn't handle another heartbreak.
 
She closed her eyes, this time falling into a dreamless sleep. With only one last memory of the last thing Suikotsu ever said to her.
 
“I am so sorry...”
 
That's that. I rather enjoyed this chapter, I sure as hell spent enough time on it don't you think? Well, I don't have much more to say about this. Next chapter: Naraku reveals and enacts his plans. Will Abi have enough of it? Will Yura and Amari work out? I don't know yet. Have to write it still. Please review.
 
~Cat