InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ Chapter 27

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
Chapter Twenty-Seven
 
Not one of the most attractive demons ever spotted, with bulging eyes and a mouth as wide as his head, Dr. Royakan set the phone down with his large furry hands and immediately left the room. The head of KICI looked ahead in tunnel vision, noticing none of the few remaining employees for the night who'd greeted him. After the call he'd received and the “request” he'd been given, no one could blame him had they known.
 
Had they known, someone would have stopped him before he reached the room. K13… Royakan shuddered, unsure of why this request was made… and unsure if he wanted to obey it. But then, that was a stupid train of thought.
 
Had anyone else told him to release the creature behind this door, refusal would have been the first and only reply. But being Naraku… it changed things. Royakan swiped the pass card quickly through the slot beside the barred door. The green light lit up and he slid the door open.
 
He looked upon the much smaller man. Docile and quiet the man looked out the single window in the white room, adjacent from his modest bed. Royakan noted that he wasn't in one of his destructive moods today, a fact the demon doctor noted with a sigh of relief. A human on the outside, but Royakan knew the beast beneath the skin was far deadlier than any demon he'd ever encountered in or out of the asylum; except perhaps the one ordering the psychopath's release.
 
“Come on, Suikotsu, let's go,” he said sternly to the man staring out the window. Suikotsu turned his head to look at the doctor, saying nothing he stood and followed Royakan out of the room.
 
At this point the institution was rather bare, save for the night-shift security guards. Royakan led “The Slasher” outside in handcuffs, quickly dismissing the guards' questions about the schizophrenic and gave them an offhand answer that he couldn't recall. It didn't seem to matter as the guards offered no further resistance.
 
He wished they had.
 
He wished they would have thought something suspicious before Royakan led Suikotsu out into the streets and released him.
 
“Why? ...” the ex-pediatrician asked in confusion.
 
Royakan looked down, unable to look the criminal in the eyes as he answered, “Your release has been ordered, you're free to go.”
 
Suikotsu furrowed his brows; Royakan saw when he looked back at the man. Was he suspicious of being released at night? Had Royakan said a different lie to the guards that he'd heard?
 
Suikotsu said nothing of either possibility; instead he said with pain in his voice, “I don't want to hurt anyone else…”
 
Royakan nodded, “I know that. Go now.”
 
Suikotsu said nothing more, but left to wander alone in the blackness of night. Royakan watched him leave as he inwardly berated himself for his cowardice. Because of him and his fear of Naraku, a criminally insane man was back on the streets and free to kill whoever crossed him.
 
Royakan didn't know why Naraku wanted the man out of KICI so badly and he probably didn't want to know either. Before he knew it, Suikotsu was out of his sight. He supposed he should have stopped him, but he was cowardly despite his size and ferocious image. He liked himself to the “Cowardly Lion” from The Wizard of Oz, his favorite American movie because of that very character. Perhaps he would one day find his own courage.
 
He stared in the direction Suikotsu left in. That day was not to day though. He would not risk Naraku's wrath…
 
He would only pray that the woman would be all right. The woman Suikotsu spoke of in every session. It was she who Suikotsu would no doubt attempt to return to, Royakan knew.
 
What was her name?
 
Kimiko?
 
Kaoru?
 
Kagome?
 
 
 
 
Bacon sizzled and eggs fried, Kagome smiled as she filled the three plates with food. Shippo made the toast and put two slices on each plate, happy to be of help to his mother.
 
 
Groggily, the hanyou made his way into the kitchen, following the alluring scent of breakfast. He kissed Kagome and sat down with Shippo as his plate was placed in front of him.
 
Kagome smiled as she watched as the two inhaled their food as she ate hers in a normal pace. Males were so pig-like at times, but somehow this morning she found it almost endearing. Shippo belched loudly and Kagome grimaced, perhaps not.
 
“Excuse me,” the child said after instructed by his mother.
 
Kagome nodded with a smile, “You're excused.” Sometimes it seemed very difficult to raise a boy with proper manners.
 
She looked at the clock, it was that time again. “Inuyasha, will you take Shippo to Hiten and Manten's?”
 
Inuyasha looked up, “Why?”
 
“I have to go to work; he's not old enough to be by himself. Hiten always watches him for me,” she replied with a confused look. She thought that was self-explanatory.
 
“I don't work on Saturday's, I'll watch the kid,” he shrugged.
 
She smiled as Shippo grinned widely and nodded his head profusely, expressing his obvious desire to spend time with Inuyasha. Kagome couldn't think of a reason not to let Inuyasha watch her son. In fact, some male bonding time would be good for her boy. “All right then, but only if you behave for Inuyasha,” she told her son.
 
“I will, Mama!” he exclaimed in sheer delight.
 
She kissed his forehead and left to the living room, grabbing her denim jacket. Inuyasha had followed her to the door and she hugged him, “Thanks,” she said.
 
Inuyasha shrugged again in a nonchalant way, “No big deal.”
 
She smiled and walked out of the door of the apartment. They'd need to get a bigger place, she knew, already thinking of her future. As dangerous as it was she couldn't help herself.
 
A three bedroom house, picket fence with a garden and a big fat cat playing with Shippo and two other children danced around her mind. Daydreaming like a silly school girl, she practically skipped down the stairs to the car, where Rin was waiting patiently; it was Rin's turn to drive.
 
 
Lost in confusion, fear, and relief, Suikotsu walked the streets. Now morning, he wasn't sure how exactly he should feel. He was happy that he was out of that crazy house. But…why was he let go? And what would he do now that he was let go?
 
He hadn't taken the life of a person in years now. Inside he still felt the desire, it chewed and clawed at his soul. He wandered into a park… this park… he remembered it. He could still see the little redhead child he played with here…
 
He furrowed his brows. He… he really could see the boy. The boy… Kagome's little boy… only he was bigger now. Crawling up the jungle-gym of the park, surrounded by other children, but Suikotsu knew that boy was Shippo.
 
But then… where was his mother? Where was Kagome? All he saw was a man with a long, silver mane; a demon, to be sure. And that demon was leaning against the jungle-gym, looking up at Shippo—who was smiling down at the man.
 
Suikotsu frowned. Who was this man? And why was he with Kagome's son? His blood boiled at the thought of the possibilities. Was this man just a baby sitter? Or was he Kagome's new lover? The very thought of another man holding her was too much.
 
He could be wrong though. The man with the silver hair could simply be a baby-sitter. Maybe even a new boyfriend of Rin's.
 
But what if he was right?
 
Truly, he no longer held any claim to Kagome's love. Not since that night… and he had accepted that any thoughts that she would wait for him after what she witnessed were really delusions.
 
Still, the thought of another man holding her… playing with her boy… he could feel the rage build within him. He attempted to suppress it; it seemed that he'd succeeded as well, for now at least.
 
He watched silently, leaning by a large tree. He merely watched the man with Shippo, contemplating on what to do about it. He didn't want to make himself known to Shippo, not sure of what the little boy remembered of him. Not sure if he still thought highly of him, or if he now believed Suikotsu a monster… like so many.
 
Perhaps he should visit Kagome? No. That would be stupid, she probably still feared him… for good reason. He was lucky he'd been able to stop himself from doing what he'd almost done…
 
He shuddered in remembrance, suddenly overcome with the need to wash himself. Still, he continued to watch, unable to tear himself away. And unable to stop thinking of all the ways he could slice that man up.
 
Suddenly ears perked up on the silver-haired man's head; dog ears that Suikotsu hadn't noticed before; a dog demon.
 
Golden eyes met brown as the demon looked straight at Suikotsu. Suikotsu glared at the demon to be met with the same glare. With that Suikotsu left, not wanting to lose what little control he still held over himself.
 
--
 
“What's wrong, Inuyasha?” asked the child on top of the jungle-gym.
 
Inuyasha looked up at the boy, “Nothing. Just thinking I could go for some ice-cream.”
 
“Me too!” he exclaimed and jumped off the jungle-gym.
 
As the two walked off in search of an ice-cream shop, Inuyasha's mind wandered back to that man. Who was that guy? And why was he staring at Shippo?
 
How long has it been? I don't know and I don't wish to be told. I merely hope that you all have enjoyed this update.
 
And on a separate note… I quit naming the chapters. I realize that I'm spending more time on trying to come up with a catchy title than on the actual chapter. Lame, I know.
 
Random Quote:
 
“It's okay to stone people who piss you off. They do it in the bible, don't they?” -Irene (Frances Sturnhagen) - The Mist