InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camp Koshin ❯ Problems of 'Titanic' Proportions ( Chapter 31 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. But I do own a spankin’ new laptop!

WOOO! I’m back! No more creepy grandfathers who live in basements can stop me now! So the winners of the last game were:

Kitsu_Kurasei

got_angie

kornychic

Elaine-sensei

White Wolf of Moon

i-want-to-hug-you515

And I think that’s everyone! I love you guys! Merry Christmas! (Or, the new ‘politically correct’ term, Happy Holidays!)

Today’s word is: indistinguishable

Problems of ‘Titanic’ Proportions

Inuyasha awoke suddenly. He felt wide awake and alert. He glanced at the alarm clock. Bright red letters told him that it was 3:00 AM. He groaned inwardly, perfect. With his acute vision, he had little trouble taking account of all the occupants in the room. Everyone accounted for, except...

Inuyasha sniffed the air experimentally. Sesshomaru was missing. Just then Sesshomaru walked from the hallway. He was fully clothed and looked wide awake. He pointed to the door that led to the hallway. Inuyasha nodded and followed him into the considerably brighter domain. As soon as the door closed behind them Inuyasha spoke.

“Why are you awake?” He asked in his usual gruff tone.

Sesshomaru glanced down both hallways, “Same as you, something’s going to happen.”

Inuyasha followed Sesshomaru’s line of vision, he saw nothing, “What is it?”

Sesshomaru said nothing for a while, then his head snapped in Inuyasha’s direction said, “When it happens, it’s going to happen fast. You keep Kagome safe, tell Miroku that of Sango-”

Just then Miroku walked into the hallway, yawning and looking over all sleepy, “Hey guys,” *yawn*, “What’s up?”

“What woke you up?” Inuyasha asked.

Miroku smiled, “A call of nature, what about you?”

Sesshomaru sighed wearily. Inuyasha took over.

“Something’s wrong, when-,” he paused, “-if something happens you need to take care of Sango.”

Miroku sobered up, “This better not be a joke, Inuyasha.”

One look at the demon brothers grim faces was all the answer he needed.

~*~*~*~

Kagome awoke to the bright red flashing lights of an alarm and the shrill shriek of warning bells.

“Kagome, get up!”

Kagome was yanked out of the warm blankets of her bed and into Inuyasha’s arms. This would usually have been a good thing, except for the panic and all. Kagome was in a daze, rooms whooshed by her in indistinguishable blurs. She vaguely remembered seeing Sango and Rin falling victim to similar treatments. Everything was a jumbled up mess. Nothing made sense. Suddenly a voice was heard over the noise.”

Attention passengers, the ship is sinking, I repeat, the ship is sinking. Please in a calm and orderly fashion could you please proceed to the emergency vessels.

The noise suddenly turned into full chaos. Everyone was dashing for the deck, scrambling to get onto a boat. Trying to escape the sinking ship and the all consuming vacuum that it would inevitably create. Kagome’s mind was riddled with images of her friends being pulled into the water, drowning, sinking...dying.

Just then they reached the top deck. Kagome’s eyes searched in panic for an empty boat. People were clamoring, trying to escape the death trap. Apparently Inuyasha found a boat because Kagome lurched forward in the bridal-style position Inuyasha had her in. In front of her, Kagome saw Sesshomaru put Rin down an uncover something with blue tarp on it. To her surprise in was a boat. How Sesshomaru knew where said boat was she could not say. Luckily, the boat was still on the riggings so they did not have to waste valuable time reattaching it.



“Get in!” Inuyasha yelled over the insanity that was the sinking ship.

Kagome hurriedly obeyed, along with the other girls. Then the guys got in and they lowered the boat going as swiftly as the pulleys allowed. When they hit the water, it only got worse. Boats were packed with too many people. People that had the right number didn’t know how to row. Everyone was wailing and screaming and crying. Kagome’s head pounded with the noise and fear that emanated from the group. The cries became a constant roar that pounded at the fragile walls of her sanity.

She looked at the hoards of people who ambled about with no direction. People trying to make sense of what was going on, looking for someone to tell them what to do.

“HEY EVERYONE!” Miroku suddenly shouted, effectively piercing the roars of the masses, “LISTEN UP IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.”

Almost everyone fell silent, eagerly awaiting for a command.

“You have two oars!” Miroku yelled, his voice easily carrying, “Use them! You need to work in synchronization! Give the oars to the strongest person in your boat. Row east! And the key is to keep your rowing pattern even. Now GO!”

“My baby!”

Miroku’s head snapped over to the person who had spoken.

“My baby’s in the water!” A woman shouted.

Sure enough, not 2 yards away from the boat a young boy was struggling to keep his head above water. The row boats were at least 100 yards away from the ship, and still close enough to be sucked in when it went under. Before anyone could say a word Inuyasha jumped into the water.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome yelled, lurching forward.

“No!” Miroku said, “Let him go.”

“He’ll be sucked under,” Kagome yelled, “The ship is almost under itself.”

“He’ll make it,” Miroku said, but he didn’t look at her, he stared at Inuyasha’s receding form.

“Alright everyone, we have to move now!”

Kagome watched as Inuyasha slowly made progress. Would he make it in time? Would the boy drown? Even if Inuyasha did save the boy would he be able to save himself? The boat moved under Kagome and she watched anxiously.

“He’s got the boy!” Someone shouted.

Kagome allowed herself a small sigh of relief, but quickly in took breathe again when she saw the water around Inuyasha start to whirlpool. Inuyasha, once making good progress struggled against the waters pooling. The boy was weighing him down. He tried to keep a rhythm, but every time he moved the water would pull him back. Kagome saw he was growing tired. A human would have gone under by now, but Inuyasha was still above water. Kagome could do nothing but watch as Inuyasha gradually stopped making progress. His kicking became more feeble, the child was crying ever louder. Then he was being pulled back. Despite his best efforts he was fighting a losing battle.

With the last of his efforts Inuyasha threw the child over in the direction of the boats. It wasn’t far, but it was far enough. Kagome jumped into the water to retrieve the flailing boy. He weakly grabbed onto her back and she gave him back to his mother. The mother burst out in tears and embraced her child. Sputtering incoherent endearments to the child. Sango and Rin helped Kagome back into the rowboat. No sooner was she back in when someone screamed.

“He went under! The boys gone under!”

Kagome’s eyes searched fervently for silver in the blue waves. Inuyasha’s head appeared. Just then the ship went completely under. The waters churned and frothed. Sucking a slurping, it was like a giant gluttonous beast eating up everything in sight. Inuyasha was sucked harshly under. The waters closed in around him, pulling him into the depths. Kagome stared in wide-eyed horror until the waters finally calmed. She held her breath, waiting for a head to break the surface.

It didn’t.

The woman tending her boy wailed and several people exclaimed to each other, whispering and sending Kagome sympathetic glances. Kagome was blind to all of this. Her mind simply replayed her last image of Inuyasha, as he struggled to live. It was that moment that Kagome’s feelings finally caught up with her. Her friends called her and tried to console her. It hay have worked if she could hear them. But nothing can be heard over the sound of a breaking heart

~*~*~*~

Um...Merry Christmas?.....OH GOD DON’T KILL ME!!