InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camp Koshin ❯ Awakenings and Accusations ( Chapter 33 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: You guys know I’ll never write a serious disclaimer again right?

OH MY GOD! I forgot about this fanfic! How could I?! I disgust myself! On a lighter note, I loves you all but I’m gonna keep my A/N short so I can start writing what you actually want to read.

Ok, the winners are:

inukaggrl06

Anji/Angie

Elaine-sensei
angle54

kornychic

yasha_21_12



Thank s for reviewing guys, I knew you’d never leave me! *twitch twitch*

You know what? I wanna try something new today. I would like you to choose you’re favorite sentence/line/paragraph so that I can see a bit of what kind of writing you guys enjoy. Please participate, it would mean a lot to me.

Awakenings and Accusations

Sango turned worried eyes to the rapidly darkening sky and the rising tide. Kagome had been gone for far longer than she felt comfortable thinking about. In her peripheral vision she could see
Rin doing much the same, staring after a form that refused to reappear. Miroku was still busy keeping everyone nice and busy. It was hard to panic when you had something to do. Sesshomaru was the strangest, stood on top of the cliff over hang a good 20 feet above everyone else. Staring stoically at the churning waves. His expression was that of ice: cold and unfeeling. Sango wondered what was behind that mask of ice. Everyone seemed to be trying to hide behind something or another to survive. Not just physically, but emotionally. Inuyasha’s loss-Sango’s eyes stung with stubbornly unshed tears-had affected all of them. Sango thought back to Kagome’s chilling lack of emotion, some of them more than others.

Sango walked pointedly over to Miroku and Rin. She waited for them to notice her, but they seemed to preoccupied with their own thoughts to notice her. When it became evident that neither of them were going to take notice anytime soon she spoke.

“I’m going to go look for Kagome,” he voice was clear and authoritive, leaving no room for contradiction.

“Kagome?” Miroku said somewhat dazedly, “Oh, yes. You mean she’s not back yet?”

Sango shook her head, “No, and the tide’s coming in, not to mention daylight is almost gone.”

That got his attention, he glanced at the sunset (or lack thereof), “Ok, we’ll all go.”

Sango shook her head, “We hardly need everyone to loo-”

Miroku’s eyes snapped to hers, and she was startled and frightened to see a strange fire in his eyes that burned away any evidence of good humor.

“I said we’ll all go.”

Sango nodded numbly. Miroku went off to get Sesshomaru, his usual lazy gate replaced by a stiff walk. He motioned to Shippo to watch the rest of the people while he was gone. And as he spoke to Sesshomaru with a stoic expression that rivaled the Ice Prince’s himself, Sango felt she would give up anything just to see him smile again.

~*~*~*~

“Sesshomaru!”

Sesshom aru’s gaze did not turn from the water that had looked so innocent the day before. For all his stubbornness and irrationality, Sesshomaru would never have thought Inuyasha would be taken by such an innocent trap. In his father had been alive he would have-

“Sesshomaru!”

Sesshomaru’s eyes slid slowly, reptilian-like toward Miroku, 20 feet below.

“Kagome’s been gone for too long, we’re going to go look for her.”

Sesshomaru’s gold eyes caught the diminishing solar rays as he visually traced Kagome’s flight. That’s right, she had left. He had been so preoccupied with his own thoughts of Inuyasha’s demise he had not thought of Kagome. He jumped off the cliff and landed lightly next to Miroku. There was no way to save his brother now, but the least he could do was keep an eye on Kagome in his - Sesshomaru winced - absence.

The group of four walked hurriedly down the beach. Urgently trying to find a lost friend. Losing one friend left a lasting scar, losing two could break a soul.

~*~*~*~

Rin’s eyes searched the surrounding landscape carefully. With each inch the tide gained and each shade darker the sky became the group became more anxious. The tension could have been cut with a knife, which only brought on more disturbing images, which only caused more anxiety. The cycle was repetitive and effective. Rin could almost hear the cogs in Sango’s mind working, could almost feel Miroku grinding his teeth in frustration, could almost see through Sesshomaru’s enhanced pupils. Every twig that snapped or animal that rustled through the bushed could be Kagome, helpless, alone, - an image of Inuyasha struggling for life flashed through her mind-, dead.

Suddenly Sesshomaru stopped. Rin almost bumped into him in her terrified musings. Miroku turned sharply.

“What is it?” he asked.

Sesshomaru sniffed the air experimentally, like Inuyasha Rin thought, while his eyes scanned the area. He walked faster, pushing through the group in his haste. He stopped in front of some ruins of their ship.

He froze, his eyes widened in what Rin could only understand as disbelief. She couldn’t see what he saw and was terrified of what she would see if she could.

“Se-Sesshomaru?” Rin asked, her voice shaking.

Sesshomaru seemed unable to take his eyes from whatever he was looking at. Then, much to everyone’s disbelief, he did the strangest thing.

He smiled.

Sango shuffled gingerly over to where he stood. Her hand immediately went up to cover her mouth as she gasped. Tears formed in her eyes and spilled forth as she made strangled noises behind her hand. The hand that wasn’t covering her mouth motioned Miroku and Sango over.
Miroku got there first, his face looked first confused, then broke into the good natured smile she had become accustom to. Rin was the last to see.

~*~*~*~

Inuyasha’s dreamy haze was disturbed by the unexpected sound of a women crying.

Twice in one day,’ he thought vaguely, ‘that must be some kind of record.’

He reluctantly opened his eyes to see Sesshomaru, Rin, Miroku and Sango all staring down at him in varying amounts of shock and happiness. He looked down at himself, surveying his situation. If they looked that happy to see him he must be coated in $1000 bills or something. When he looked down though, he saw only an awakening Kagome and pieces of driftwood. That’s when it came back to him.

“Hey guys,” his voice was scratchy, effectively erasing his attempted cocky attitude, “What’d I miss?”

“Your own funeral,” Sango said, but the happiness in her eyes took the edge out of it.

“Good, I could never stand that death crap.” He tried to lift himself up but winced at the stabbing pain in his limbs.

“Need help?” Sesshomaru asked bemusedly.

“No!” Inuyasha quickly retorted, sounding more like a deprived toddler than a capable adult.

Kagome chose this moment to wake up. Her eyes remained groggy and sleepy. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and looked up at the group with muted curiousity.

“Hey guys,” she yawned, “What are we doing on the beach?”

~*~*~*~

About 20 minuted later the entire group returned. Inuyasha was being reluctantly supported between Miroku and Sesshomaru. It was only when Kagome threatened to steal all his Ramen that he finally agreed to being helped, though not without constant protest. By the time they got back to the beach, Sesshomaru were so annoyed by his incessant complaint that they simply dropped him in the middle of camp, headless of breaks or bruises.

It was only much later after everyone was settled and Inuyasha had been bandaged with what meager supplies they had that they realized something.

“How exactly did a ship like that sink anyway?” Inuyasha said in the midst of one of his tirades.

Everyone stopped. He was right. It didn’t make sense that a boat that stable and well maintained would go under for no reason. In the midst of Inuyasha’s disappearance no one had stopped to consider how unusual it was for the boat sink so suddenly. It couldn’t have been a natural formation, these waters were gentle and they hadn’t been cruising in shallow waters.

And if there were no technical problems, and they hadn’t crashed into something, then it was someone.

Someone had sunk them. Someone had tried to kill them...

~*~*~*~
I updated! Weee! Review and if you skipped over it read the words in red at the top!