InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camp Koshin ❯ Who Done It? ( Chapter 34 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to me when on February 29th at 33:00 AM in Atlantis, got it?!

Hey guys! I’m just getting over a case of pneumonia. I was coughing up blood and stuff so that explains some of the delay. It’ll look like it got better than turn around and kick my butt. Then I had my birthday! I was so distracted with my cool new presents, (One of which being Black and White 2 which gave me a god complex.) I forgot to write. -.-‘ Sorry.

Surprisingly, no one had the same answer. Muy interesante. Ok, here are the participants:

Sango_Augusto

Vagabond

White Wolf of Moon

Elaine_sensei

Higher_being

kornychic
Elaine-sensei

Thanks you guys! You’re the reason I haul my arse over to my laptop and type like a schizophrenic novelist with 2 days till publication! What? It’s a metaphor! METAPHOR!! You know, for the game, surprisingly enough no one had the same answer. Huh.

I was wondering, is the game a bit chorish? Would you rather me not put it up? Let me know! I won’t put one in this chapter to see if you like it better. Anyway, read on!

Who Done it?

No one was innocent.

Sango watched in a strange state of detachment as people were being herded to the shore. Miroku had given explicit instructions (more like demands) that no one was to leave the beach until a certain matter had been sorted out. Miroku had told no one save their group what it was about, so everyone was nervous, looking around in confusion, questioning neighbors who had no more answers than they. The result was a teeming mass of whispers that together roared with barely perceptible words.

Sango’s eyes strayed over to Inuyasha and Kagome. Kagome was crooning over Inuyasha and Inuyasha was pretending he didn’t enjoy it. Inuyasha was till pretty banged up. He had large, dark bruises covering his torso and a long gash that wrapped from his shoulder down to his hip. Near the middle he had almost been impaled and were it not for his demon blood he might not have survived. Sango shivered, better not to think about it.
Her line of vision drifted to Rin. She was looking about in bewilderment, no doubt puzzled by Sesshomaru’s absence. Since the Inu incident Sesshomaru had been acting...odd. More distant than usual, he had even been avoiding Rin. Actually come to think of it, it was Rin he seemed to be avoiding most. Sango’s fuzzy mind couldn’t seem to make heads or tails of this, she wondered distantly if she was in shock. She tried to shake off the sleep like fog that was slowing her mind. She felt like she was watching a movie in a giant cotton ball. Almost like a-

“People! May I have your attention?!”

~*~*~*~

Miroku scanned the crowd like a hawk looking for prey, watching people become uncomfortable under his piercing gaze but none dared to speak. Perhaps he was being sadistic, but he couldn’t help but feel a bit powerful as he watched the people, any of whom could have committed the atrocity that was sinking the ship, squirm under his assessing stare.

“What all of you know is that the ship sank and we are now stranded-”

There were eye rolls and whispers consisting of the words ‘obviously’ and ‘so?’.

“-What you do not know is that our ship was sunk deliberately,” Miroku watched carefully for any tell-tale fidgets amongst the crowd of shocked gasps, “Someone wanted us...gone.”

The murmurs started slow, quiet, harmless, simply shifty eyes and whispered inquiries. Then they rose in volume, people yelling, accusing, pointing out neighbors as possible suspects.

“People, the most important thing right now is to remain calm-”

“Why should we listen to you?”

Miroku searched the crowd for the anonymous voice, before he could speak someone else spoke up.

“Ya, for all we know it was you who sunk us!”

The crowd broke into loud agreements and shouts. They began to advance on Miroku like a single minded mob. They had lost all semblance of logic or reason, all they knew was they were angry, betrayed, and they had found someone to blame. Throughout this whole experience Miroku remained the picture of cool collected confidence. When at last the crowd was almost upon him he put up his hand to silence them. Surprisingly, even in the midst of their own temporary insanity, they stopped. Perhaps they were momentarily stunned by Miroku’s confusing display of confidence, perhaps they became hesitant to attack their leader, whatever the case, they fell silent.

“You think I sunk you?” his voice had gone deadly quiet.

...Silence.
“After all this you think I sunk you...sunk us?” His voice was now so fiercely low it was almost a vibration.

...Silence.

“You think that I crashed us, nearly killing my friend which almost destroyed another, and then was stupid enough to bring the fact that it wasn’t an accident in front of a mob of distraught people?!” His voice had risen to an enraged yell, “This is what you think?!”

Not a breath stirred the still air of the island, and not a person dared to meet Miroku’s furious eyes. People shifted soundlessly, waiting for someone to break the awkward silence.

Miroku’s lip curled as he looked at the people before him in contempt, “If that’s how easily you can turn on your own, then you can guide yourselves.”

With that he turned on heel, stalking away, leaving the panicked crowd to fend for themselves.

~*~*~*~





Kagome looked up from the wound she was currently dressing. Despite his hanyou strength, Inuyasha’s progress was still slow. Kagome wasn’t surprised considering the lack of nutrition the entire group of survivors was suffering. Most people hadn’t eaten anything since the wreck, especially not Inuyasha who insisted he didn’t need it, but without nutrition his body couldn’t heal its extensive wounds. He was in no immediate danger, but he couldn’t do much.

But right now her attention had been drawn from Inuyasha to Miroku. Of course he had every right to be angry at the crowd but that was twice within a short while that Miroku had lost his easy-going premise to cold distant anger. She watched Sango follow after his hesitantly and decided it would be best if she didn’t interfere.

So wrapped up in her own thought, she did not notice Rin slip into the green canopy of the forest.

~*~*~*~

Rin was confused. She couldn’t find Sesshomaru anywhere. In fact the last time she saw him, when they were dragging Inuyasha back to the beach, he had completely avoided eye contact, and when she had asked him anything, he had responded with flat, one word answers. This baffled Rin, because she could not remember a time when Sesshomaru had every acted truly disinterested around her, but then she had only known him for a short while, perhaps these were his true colors, perhaps this was how he really was. Rin scowled at her own traitorous thoughts. No, she refused to believe that, maybe she had only known him for this summer but this way he was acting, this cold indifference to the people he cared about, not only her but his friends too, was not
Sesshomaru. No something was wrong and she’d be damned if she was going to leave him alone with only his problems for company.

~*~*~*~

Sesshomaru stared up at the sun through the branched of the enormous tree he was sitting under. From his vantage point he could see the sun light filtering through the trees leaves so he could see the dark veins withing the leaves. People died for places like this, for moments like this. Times where your mind drifted lazily about as relaxed and innocent as the sun kissed leaves above him. He sighed, but he was not people, he was a demon. He was not given the luxury of quiet thoughts, he wasn’t allowed the simple pleasure of relaxing. As the heir of a respected demon family he could not shirk his responsibility for a second.

Yet he did.

Sesshomaru felt his lip curl against his usually cool superior visage. If this had happened to his ancestors they would have been stripped of their rank, dignity, and disowned by their clan. The kind of carelessness he had shown earlier was unacceptable, intolerable. He felt his body tensing, responding to his anger, his claws glowed poison green, it’s obvious warning contrasting greatly to the cool, comforting green of the trees leaves. He forced himself to calm, fighting back the emotions he had long since learned to control. He had barely harnessed his primal rage before he saw Rin enter the clearing.

~*~*~*~

Rin broke through the canopy and was surprised to find Sesshomaru sitting beneath a gigantic tree. His face grew tense when he saw her, as if she was his enemy. Rin felt her heart jerk painfully at this thought.

“Rin?”

Rin jumped at the sound of his voice, it sounded raw and strained in comparison to the gentle bird song of the forest.

She pulled her self out of her revery before she could make a fool off herself with her silence, “You’ve been gone, I was worried.”

Sesshomaru stared at her for a while, as if he could sift through her soul with those cold, assessing eyes. After what seemed a life time for Rin he took his eyes away from her in favor of the dancing branches above him.

“Go back to camp, Rin.”

The words stung her, but she persisted, “Why have you been away?”

“I said go back,” his voice had grown more forceful.

“You refuse to talk to anyone-”

“Go back, Rin,” his voice was louder more dangerous.

“-we’re worried about you.”

“Rin, I’m warning you-”

“You won’t even look at me-”

“Damn it, Rin. I said go BACK!”

“I’m not leaving YOU!”

Silence. Rin was surprised by the force of her own words. She hated the shake in her voice when she spoke again, “Since Inuyasha came back you’ve pushed us all away. We care about you, I care about you. Why won’t you talk to use? Why have you been avoided me?”

He stared at the sun speckled ground, “I haven’t been avoiding you-”

“Look me in the eye when you say that!” Rin practically screamed in frustration.

Sesshomaru slowly leveled his gaze with Rin, and she was frightened by what she saw there. His eyes were devoid of anything. No emotions, no personality, Rin gasped as she realized that he was hiding behind the strongest mask she had ever seen him use. Sesshomaru always used some form of mask to hide his emotion, but they always had small flaws that let his personality filter through. This one was perfect, she saw nothing.

She felt tears well up in her eyes, she walked slowly over to him and kneeled in front of him. His eyes gazed back at her dispassionately, his eyes following her ever move without the faintest trace of interest. A single tear slid from the corner of her eye.

“What could have done this to you?”

His eyes locked with hers and she saw a flicker, not much, only a spark of life in the depths of his eyes. She knew she had to do something. She was standing at the crossroads, one path could lose him forever, but the other...

So she did the only thing she could think of, the only thing that would get a reaction, any reaction out of him.




She kissed him.

~*~*~*~

Sesshomaru was experienced in hiding his emotions. He had worked years to keep such weaknesses as emotions at bay, because that’s all emotions were, weaknesses that got in the way of thought.

How he could be completely undone by one girl’s kiss completely baffled him, yet there it was.

Before Sesshomaru could stop it or even think to stop it his body was responding. No, not just his body something inside him was responding, something long since bottled up and left for dead. It eagerly urged him on, poured itself into the kiss. It wanted to heal, wanted Rin to see it, the first one to see the pain, the longing.

Maybe she was the answer. God, but he wanted her to be the answer. Perhaps just once he could give into his emotion, his weakness...

“NO!”

~*~*~*~

Rin was pulled out of the kiss so quickly it left her in a daze. This kiss had been different from the others they had shared. This one held pain, raw, unharnessed longing and regret. Rin had accepted it willingly, she could almost taste the bittersweet mix of sorrow and hope.

Then he had ended it, and now he was staring at his hands in disbelieving contempt.

“You can’t know, no one can ever know!” he whispered harshly to her. His eyes were shut tightly closed as if in physical pain.

Rin’s voice was tender and confused when she spoke, “What can’t I know?”

His eyes remained tightly shut, “You wouldn’t understand.”

Rin got up slowly and gently put her hand on his arm. He flinched away. She tried to keep her voice steady when she spoke, “What wouldn’t I understand?”

His eyes snapped open, “You can never know what I am, what I must be!”


“Whatever it is you can’t possibly have to bear it alone.”

“That is exactly what I must do, and you’d do well to stay away.”

With that he disappeared into the forest, leaving a very confused, and very hurt Rin behind.

~*~*~*~
*sigh* Don’t you just love tortured heros? Rest assured readers, as long as there are heros I’ll be there to torture them. *dodges Sesshy lover’s weapons* Don’t forget to REVIEW!