InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Inu ❯ Chapter 6

[ A - All Readers ]

Kagome sat up straight with a gasp, her head hitting something hard. "Ouch!" She rubbed her forehead and glared up at Sesshomaru, his face half a foot away from her own. His own forehead was growing a deep red. He scowled at her, taking a step back.

 

"What the hell are you doing in my room," she demanded, annoyed that she was annoyed upon first waking up.

 

His scowl turned into a glare as he growled at her in warning. "Watch your tongue in my presence, wench. You have been asleep for three days now. It is long past time for you to awaken."

 

Anger temporarily forgotten, Kagome blinked. "Three days?" Had she really slept for three days? She supposed she shouldn't have been so surprised considering it had be so long since she'd last slept so comfortably. She thought back over her dream and bolted out of bed. "It's perfect that you're here anyways," she said, facing him. "I need to talk to you about something."

 

Sesshomaru quirked a thin silver brow. "You wish to speak with me now? Dressed as you are?" Amusement lightened his tone, though his face traditionally remained neutral.

 

Kagome looked down at herself, her mouth dropping in embarrassment. She'd forgotten that before she'd gone to sleep she'd changed into a sleeping yukata, one that was indecently short. It stopped a few inches below her woman parts, with the top barely concealing her cleavage. Her face became aflame as she looked up at the amusement clear to see in Sesshomaru's face. "G-g-get out!" She screeched.

 

Sesshomaru winced, and so did she, the sound hurting her sensitive ears. Even still, she shooed Sesshomaru out, her chest heaving, and slammed the shoji screen door behind him. She could have sworn she heard him give a low chuckle. "I will be in my study, wench," he said as he walked away from her door.

 

Kagome was near tears she was so embarrassed. She gathered what bit of her pride she had left, put on an over robe, and gathered the folded working kimono that had been placed near her futon in her arms and headed towards the sento to bathe. She kept her head down as she went, still trying to remain as invisible as possible. She knew her face was still red, and didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

 

Once at the sento, she was glad to see it was empty. She closed the door behind herself and began to disrobe.

 

...

 

Half an hour later she stood outside Sesshomaru's study, mentally prepping herself to meet his gaze. When he gave her the command to enter, she used shaky fingers to slide the door open and close. Sesshomaru was seated behind his desk again. He looked up at her, a smirk tugging at his lips. Kagome glared through the rising heat in her cheeks.

 

Dammit! Leave it to him to make her lose the calm composure she'd worked hard to obtain over the time she'd spent in the dark castle. Kagome gave a stiff bow and sat before him. She couldn't quite meet his gaze so she stared down at her hands that dug into the soft material of her kimono.

 

"When I was asleep," she started, only to be cut off.

 

"I am up here, wench," he said, clearly taking great humor in her lingering embarassment.

 

Kagome gritted her teeth and looked up, but not directly at him. She looked slightly past him, at a small dot on the painted wall behind him. "When I was asleep, I had a memory. It wasn't a dream, I know, because I remember perfectly."

 

"What of this memory?" He demanded, interest lightly lacing his tone.

 

Kagome bit her lip, wondering how to continue. When she'd remembered Kouga, she'd had had a plan figured out, one that had included telling Sesshomaru. What she hadn't included was that he may not believe her, would simply accuse her of lying or purposely holding back that memory from him.

 

"This memory?" He urged, growing impatient.

 

Kagome sighed, looking him square in the eye. She knew if she didn't meet his gaze he'd consider that as her not being truthful. "The friend I was waiting on the day I was taken. His name is Kouga, the son of one of the southern wolf tribe leaders. If I can find him, he may be able to help me regain my memory."

 

The humor of Kagome's earlier embarrassment vanished from his eyes as they narrowed, his mouth tightening in a firm line. He stared at her coldly, as if contemplating the truth of her words. Kagome grew nervous, but didn't show it. He had to know she was telling the truth. He had to be able to scent it.

 

After staring at her for what seemed to be hours, Sesshomaru said coldly, "You just had this memory when you were asleep. What other memories have you had?"

 

Kagome felt her shoulders sag with relief. He didn't think she was lying. "None. My beast showed me only his face, and I remembered."

 

"Hn." He didn't seem surprised or even disbelieving at her mention of her beast. Of course he had to have one as well. Didn't all youkai have one? "What has this to do with me?"

 

Kagome gave a small shrug. "Well... Nothing, really. I just thought it would be best that you know I remembered, and I intend to find him. I didn't want you to think I was keeping hidden information from you."

 

"You intend to find him? You believe I will simply allow you to walk out of here without my permission on some pointless journey in search of one mangy wolf?"

 

Kagome was really getting fed up with his high-and-mighty attitude. She didn't leave one prison only to be trapped in another. "Without your permission?" she said, her voice tight with ill-concealed anger. "Look at my face, Sesshomaru," she snapped. "I may not know who I am, but both of us know damn well that I'm not some lowly peasant that you can command about with just one word."

 

He growled, his youkai flaring violently. "You may have the markings of noble blood, but for all you know you could have been disowned by your family. Why else would they have allowed you to rot in the east for so long? If that were the case then your markings mean nothing."

 

Kagome hadn't thought about that, but she wouldn't dwell on it. She felt her own beast clawing to be free as her anger grew to a boiling point. "If that is so, then I suppose this means nothing as well?" She used a hand to push her bangs up and out of the way.

 

The anger swirling in the air around him vanished so quickly it was as if it weren't even there. His narrow eyes widened a bit, his mouth opening slightly. He stared at her forehead, clearly in his own form of shock. Kagome hadn't been positive the star was there since she hadn't bothered to look in the mirror yet, but after seeing it on her beast, she was almost completely sure she had it too. Now, however, after seeing Sesshomaru's face the way it was, she was positive it was there.

 

She dropped her hand and rose to her feet. "You know what this mark means, Sesshomaru," she said darkly. "I will find Kouga-that is, if he's still alive-and I will discover the truth of who I am. Clearly it has some significance. You will not stop me from doing so."

 

Sesshomaru's cold mask slipped back in place at her declaration. "Sit," he commanded, picking up the feather that lay on his desk. He began to write something out on a clean sheet of parchment.

 

"What is it?" She demanded.

 

He looked up with a glare at her sharp tone, then continued to write. "Your wolf friend is one of the southern lord's leading generals. I have met him on occasion."

 

Kagome gasped as she slowly sank back down onto the cushion. "So he is alive then?"

 

"Hn," was all he said. As Kagome looked down at the parchment, she briefly admired his slow, yet bold strokes of the quill. After a while he finished and set the parchment off to the side to dry. He then looked up at her again, a contemplating look on his face. He leaning forward, resting him chin in his hand. 

 

Kagome hated how hard it was to read him. She couldn't tell what he was thinking, and it unnerved her. His gaze wasn't it's usual contempt, but it wasn't anything reassuring either. It was as if he was in deep thought. 

 

"What," she asked uneasily. He'd never looked at her like that before, not that it was very much different than the other cold ones he gave her. The only difference was this didn't seem quite so intimidating.

 

"You truly do not know what that mark means?"

 

Kagome looked to the side then back at him. "Ah, no."

 

"And you truly have no memories beyond the day you were captured."

 

It wasn't a question, but Kagome still shook her head no. 

 

He drummed his fingers on the desk. "This is interesting," he murmured to himself.

 

"What?" Kagome demanded impatiently. "What does it mean?"

 

 

He didn't respond for a while. When he did, his answer caused her head to lighten and she nearly fainted. "It means, my dear wench, that you are heir to the northern lands."