InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Inu ❯ Chapter 9

[ A - All Readers ]

Kagome was still avoiding him. The last two days since the minor incident in the hall, as well as what had happened in the dojo, she'd made herself scarce around him. Whenever Sesshomaru would walk in her direction, she'd switch courses to avoid moving past him. She'd even go completely out of her way to get somewhere if she knew she might run into him on the way. At dinner she continued to sit at the very far end, finishing her food and rushing to leave right when he began to stand.

 

Now, however, she was trapped. She cursed herself for being so stupid. She'd taken a wrong turn and ended up in a narrow hall that had no doors or windows. No means of escape. She was an Inu, dammit! Inus have perhaps the greatest senses ever, yet she'd managed to go the wrong way because she wasn't paying attention.

 

She came to a dead end, a wall that held a painting of a great white inuyoukai in demon form. She couldn't take the time to admire the picture for a great aura washed over her, making her heart squeeze tightly in her chest.

 

Slowly, she turned around and stood face to face with an angry Inu. Kagome gulped, knowing she was well and truly caught.

 

Sesshomaru stalked towards her, slowly, a predatory gleam in his glaring eyes. Kagome backed up into the wall, suddenly feeling like a small animal about to become a tasty meal for a much bigger predator. He came closer and closer until he was fully pressed against her, making her become trapped between the wall and his body.

 

"You have nowhere to hide now, wench," he said in a low voice.

 

Now her heart was racing. Her eyes darted from side to side, searching for somewhere to escape, but there was none. She reluctantly met his burning gaze.

 

"Who says I was hiding?" She said, her voice sounding embarrassingly small.

 

"Why?"

 

"Why what?"

 

Sesshomaru made a low noise in the back of his throat. "Do not fool with me. Why are you hiding from me?"

 

Kagome sighed deeply. She couldn't very well lie to him, obviously since he'd scent it. And she doubted he would leave her be lest she told him.

 

"I..." Kagome mumbled her response, too low from him to hear despite his close proximity.

 

"What was that?"

 

"I am upset with you." Just as she said it her face went up in flames. It was beyond embarrassing to admit to anyone, especially him. Her face heated even more so when she chanced a look up at him and caught his expression. It was one full of angry disbelief.

 

"You, an objectionable servant in my home, are upset with me, a great Dai-inuyoukai who rules the entire western lands of Japan?"

 

"Objectionable servant?" Kagome demanded, outraged. She may have been under the pretense of such here, but she and he both knew better. Not only was she of noble Inu blood, but she was heir to the northern throne, for kamis sake! Even if she had been gone for so long that no one would have remembered her, or if, worse, she had been disowned by her family- which Kagome did not like to think about- that still had to count for something.

 

"For what, might I ask," he continued, ignoring her blatant anger.

 

Kagome glared at him, embarrassment no longer warming her cheeks. "It's because I dislike you. You are cold and calloused and I understand you must be so in order to rule with a strict hand, truly I do. But it is annoying, not only to me, I'm sure. You command me about as if I am some lost pup, and you say things to hurt...people, and you do not even realize it. Or perhaps you don't care. I don't know, but whichever the case may be, it is detestable. And then you have been acting beyond strange as of late. Two days ago after dinner you found me in the hall and...you remember. You were acting..."

 

Kagome broke off what she was saying and sniffed. Not sure she'd scented it correctly, she leaned in even closer to him, putting her nose half an inch away from his chest- which had been free of armor since he'd come home- and inhaled deeply. Catching the unmistakable scent, she reeled back, but there was nowhere to go.

 

Understanding shone in his bright amber eyes, but his mouth was pressed into a hard line. "I was acting..." He prompted, his tone dangerously harsh.

 

Kagome's eyes were wide now. He knew what she'd scented, and he wanted her to say it. He pressed even harder into her, bringing his face a mere inch away from hers.

 

"Y-you're reacting." She knew the scent, and suddenly everything became clear. The reason for his strange behavior, the brief redness that leaked into his eyes the other night when he'd caught her in the hall, his mood swings, the sexual tension, even Kazu acting the same way... All that had been due to them reacting to her. Every month female inus went into heat for three nights during the full moon, while the males reacted to them. The males experienced near uncontrollable lust and emotions days prior to the females going into heat, causing them to "react." 

 

In the three centuries she'd been trapped in the dark castle, one would have expected her captor to take advantage of her during her weakest moments. But no, he'd simply left her there for the week it had taken for her to completely get over her sexual hunger when she'd gone into heat. It was only afterwards would he come and force himself on her, when she didn't require it. She didn't know much about Inu heat, or at least couldn't remember it, but she was very much acquainted with the scent and knew the symptoms.

 

"You are correct," he said darkly. His deep voice so near her ear caused an unwanted shiver to slither down her spine and heat her body with a whole knew emotion. "The ritual begins four days prior to the full moon Wednesday night, which means nearly every animal youkai here will follow in response to the females going into heat. It will last for a week. It is one where after dinner, we first gather in the great courtyard of the castle grounds, men on one side, women on the other. Having the status that I do, I will have first pick of the first onna to take." His gaze ran over her hotly at that. "After that, one must fend for themselves. Several of my men like to take more than one onna at a time, and because there are not nearly enough animal female youkai to satiate all of them, more from neighboring areas around the palace will be coming to stay in the southern wing until the following week."

 

Kagome could feel a certain hardness pressing into her down below, and she gasped at the feeling that brought on. Sesshomaru's hands gripped her waist and brought her more fully against him. He put his lips to her neck and licked over her pulse, making her gasp again. The heat that had begun to form in the pool of her stomach shifted lower and she felt something hot and wet leak down her inner thigh. She pressed her legs together tightly, but the pressure did nothing to soothe the sweet ache.

 

She felt Sesshomaru smile against her neck as he inhaled deeply, scenting her blatant arousal. One of his hands roamed down her backside, cupping her buttocks. "For once in my endless lifespan I may perhaps enjoy this particular heat," he growled. With another lick across her vein, he released her and took a step back. Kagome had to lean against the wall to keep her shaking body from collapsing. She looked up at him, her mouth slightly open as she breathed hard. His eyes were red again, only the faintest of amber able to be seen.

 

"I have searched you out to notify you of the ritual. And also, due to the fact that ningen are not exactly safe here during the time of heat, the ningen servants and soldiers will leave to the nearby village. Rin will be in the care of the servant Sango. And if you are worried for security prospects, my male soldiers who are neither ningen nor animal youkai will guard the palace during the nights."

 

Kagome nodded dully, only half-listening. She couldn't quite get over what had just transpired. It was as if his actions had an underlying message to them, one she couldn't decipher. Sesshomaru, however, gave a curt nod.

 

With a smirk down at her, he said, "I will see you at dinner then, wench," and left her there.

 

Not for the first time in the week- had it only been a week? It felt like a year- she'd met him, he'd managed to shock and embarrass her to the point of immobility, and then leave her where she stood. She should have been furious with him, should have been disgusted that he'd managed to arouse her as much as he did. Yet as she stood there shaking with lingering desire for the icy Lord Sesshomaru, all she could do was allow a slight smile curve her lips.

 

'For once in my endless lifespan I may perhaps enjoy this particular heat,' he'd said. Well, Kagome for one could say the very same.

 

...

 

Just as Sesshomaru had said, Kagome noted, several women began to enter his home throughout the day. She'd counted twenty-one of them, but after seeing how many of Sesshomaru's men had been pooling out of the dojo, as well as the ones in neighboring villages she'd seen come and go, she knew more of them would be arriving soon. Since it was a Saturday, Rin did not have her classes to take, so Kagome had devoted herself to spending as much time with the girl as she could before she would leave later on tonight. She was quite disappointed to learn that Kagome would not be joining her in the nearby village, but Kagome had promised to make it up to her some way.

 

They weren't playing a fantasy game today, but were sitting in a peaceful garden. Well, Kagome was anyways. Rin was standing behind her, playing with her long hair. She began to notice how the girl would often look at it with such longing, and had asked if she wanted to play in it. With a squeal, Rin had nodded happily and began to do so.

 

That had been two hours ago, and the girl was still playing with Kagome's hair. Despite the ache in her back and butt, she didn't mind suffering for the little girl. Besides, the feel of her little hands running through her hair eased many of her worries, even making her a bit sleepy.

 

'Goodnight, okaa-san,' Rin's soft voice whispered in her head. Those were the words that always tugged at Kagome's heart when she was with the young girl. She knew she hadn't meant to say the words, yet she couldn't get over them.

 

A part of her had rejoiced when Rin had spoken them. Being trapped in the dark castle, Kagome had known she hadn't been a mother simply because she would have felt a bond to the child had that been the case. However, in the early years she'd been there, part of her imagination had often caused her to wonder what it would be like to have been one. To hold her pup in her arms while being held in her mate's arms. To gently rock her babe to sleep. To watch them play in grassy fields with their siblings. To watch as they grew older and eventually begin their own families.

 

A longing had lodged itself deep within her, one that no amount of time and loneliness could have taken from her. And having Rin say those words to her, even if by accident, had been like the world's most beautiful music to her ears.

 

Yet it had also given Kagome a deep fear for two reasons. One, she knew she would not stay in the Western Palace for long. Even if she wanted to, Sesshomaru would no doubt kick her out sooner or later, especially with the way she continued to treat him. And if not that, there was a likely chance that she would not make it when she went after the hanyou. She didn't underestimate him. Sure, he was a vicious coward who sent others to do his dirty work. But Kagome knew he had power, if not his own, then from that jewel he often held around his neck. Along with that, he had allies in the east. Very, very powerful ones. So if by chance she did manage to kill that bastard, she herself had very low chances of escaping again, especially with his men and allies always so near him.

 

The second reason Rin's words had given her a fear was because in all the time she'd been trapped, the hanyou had taken a piece of her soul. Though he'd never once broken her will, he had damaged it severely. The things he'd done to her physically were mere mosquito bites compared to the things he'd done to her mentally. His memories he'd shown her had scarred her beyond repair. And if those were bad enough, there were times when he'd torture others -innocents- before her very eyes. Most had been the weaker ningen. Sickly women and elders. The worst had been the children.

 

A pain so deep it shook her very core welled to the surface, almost causing Kagome to suffocate. The hanyou had known her failure to protect those innocents had been her undoing. It didn't matter how much she'd begged and agreed to do whatever he wished. He'd mentally and physically destroy every last one of them and -and had laughed while doing it!- And then had left their bodies there in front of Kagome. A constant reminder of her failure. Their cries, their unheard screams for help rattled around in her mind. Nothing she could have done could have saved them, and yet it was her fault they'd suffered.

 

That was the true power the hanyou had held over her. The lives he'd gleefully taken, their cries of pain and sorrow bouncing off the walls in her head, the failure to protect... That was the piece of her soul he'd taken. She was afraid she couldn't protect little Rin. Despite the fact that it had only been little over a week since she'd met the girl, she had found a crack in the rigid wall around her heart and had managed to squirm inside. Kagome knew that should something happen to Rin, it would utterly destroy her.

 

Something cold and wet slid down her face and she wiped at the tears, thankful that Rin was behind her. She forced the dreadful memories and feelings back and focused on the feel of Rin's little hands smoothly running through her hair. It didn't matter that she feared the little girl's love. Rin was like a single flower that had blossomed where the ground had been burned. She brought beauty and life to the otherwise damaged grounds.

 

"Rin-san," she said softly, her voice sounding distant. "What happened to your family?"

 

Rin's hands froze in her hair. "Family?" She asked uncertainly.

 

"Hai. Your ningen family. The people who birthed you."

 

She immediately sensed the girl's fear and sorrow, and suddenly regretted the question. "Gomen nasai, Rin-san. You do not have to tell me-"

 

"It's okay," she said quietly, her voice almost sad. Her hands resumed brushing Kagome's hair, albeit a bit more stiffly. "Rin doesn't remember much about her real mama and papa. Rin thinks she was an orphan. It was...three? Hai, three years ago when Rin was playing hide-and-seek with the other village children. Rin ran into the woods, and found Lord Sesshomaru lying under a tree. Even though he was bleeding from a missing arm-" Surprised, Kagome added that to the list of things to imagine asking Sesshomaru- "Rin thought he looked like a beautiful prince from the stories one of the older village women used to tell us. Rin left to gather bandages and food and left it there with him. She did that everyday for three days. Each time, he would wake up and tell Rin to leave, and that he did not need her help, but Rin brought him sustenance anyways.

 

"After the third day, Rin did not come because Rin's village was attacked some strange youkai. Rin ran away but one of the youkai found her and attacked her." Kagome stiffened in shock, but Rin patted her on the head. "Rin was dying, hai, but luckily Lord Sesshomaru came by. He used his healing sword Tenseiga to heal Rin, and now she is alive!"

 

Kagome released a harsh breath. Rin had been attacked and nearly died. And if not for Sesshomaru she would have. She wondered what caused him to save her. Perhaps he had a secret weakness for children? Or perhaps he was partly grateful for her helping him?

 

"Rin doesn't know why Lord Sesshomaru saved her," she continued, as if reading Kagome's mind. "But Rin is thankful. After healing Rin, Lord Sesshomaru left her there."

 

'So much for having a weakness for children,' Kagome thought sarcastically.

 

'He is still beautiful regardless,' Kagome's beast murmured.

 

'Quiet, you,' Kagome hissed in her mind and tuned in to Rin.

 

"Rin got up and ran after him. Lord Sesshomaru didn't look very happy to have Rin following him at first, but he did not tell her to leave. Ever since then Lord Sesshomaru has cared for Rin."

 

Kagome simply stared up at Rin. Light that did not come from the sun shone brightly in her brown eyes. It was clear to see the girl loved the icy lord very much, though Kagome had no idea why. Sure, he'd saved her and allowed her to stay with him, but she doubted they sat around having long chats about everything.

 

"You really love Lord Sesshomaru, huh Rin-san?" She asked quietly.

 

The girl smiled. "Hai. Lord Sesshomaru, though he will not admit it, is Rin's papa. He takes care of Rin, and feeds her, and makes sure she is happy. And Rin hopes one day he will mate a beautiful onna that will become Rin's okaa." At that, the girl gave a pointed look at Kagome, making Kagome blush. She didn't dare hurt Rin by telling her she would never be with Sesshomaru in such a way.

 

She simply gave a gentle smile. "It's a lovely wish, Rin." She half turned as Rin began to brush her hair again, but stopped when Rin gasped. She glanced at the girl, who had a huge grin plastered to her cute face. "What-"

 

"You just called Rin 'Rin'," she said happily. "Normally you call Rin 'Rin-san'."

 

Kagome shrugged and hid another blush. The non-use of an honorific after one's name was either used in contempt of said person, or a suggested closeness. Obviously she held no contempt for little Rin. "Hai, I did. Gomen nasai-"

 

"Nai! Rin likes it!"

 

After a moment, Kagome smiled and said, "Hmm. I'll start calling you only Rin if you start using 'I' or 'me' when referring to yourself. Agree?"

 

 

After giving an uneasy look, Rin thought about it and smiled. "Okay! I agree."