InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Inu ❯ Chapter 8

[ A - All Readers ]

Just like the other night, dinner was awkward for Kagome. Unlike last time, however, Sesshomaru glared at her from the opposite end of the table. She could feel his eyes on her, could feel his anger swirling in the air around the table. Kagome refused to look up, simply stared down at the meal before her as she used her chopsticks to push food around on her plate.

 

After leading her from the dojo, he'd simply left her, disappearing within the depths of the main palace. She'd finally let her anger sink in. She had every intention of stalking after him to tell him exactly what she'd thought of him, when Rin had come along, clinging to Kagome. Now, though she knew it wouldn't be very smart of her, she planned to annoy the western lord by simply ignoring or avoiding him whenever she could.

 

Across from her and down a few seats sat Kazu, who occasionally glanced up at her with a small smile. Rin let out a yawn and blinked sleepily. Kagome stood, and without looking up at Sesshomaru, politely excused herself and Rin. She picked the girl up, thankful for her youkai strength, and carried her to the sento.

 

"Let's get you clean before putting you to bed, Rin-San," Kagome said. Rin grumbled, making Kagome laugh. Kagome reached for the girl's obi, but then remembered she hadn't grabbed any sleeping clothes for either of them. "Um, wait here Rin-San. I have to get us some clothes and drying cloths." Rin only nodded slowly, sinking down to the floor to lean on the nearby wall.

 

"Rin will wait here then," she said, her voice soft and slow.

 

Kagome briefly worried that the girl may end up falling asleep, but figured she'd be back quickly enough. She left the sento, and hurried down the hall to her and Rin's rooms. When she had what she needed, she stepped in the hallway and bumped into something hard. She looked up into the cold amber eyes of none other than Sesshomaru.

 

Heart racing, she quickly dipped her head. "Gomen nasai," she said quietly, attempting to step around him.

 

He didn't move. Instead, he lowered his head to hers, forcing her to look in his eyes. "You have been avoiding looking at me since dinner started. Tell me why."

 

Kagome looked to the side. She'd thought Kazu smelled good. Sesshomaru smelled even better, with his natural sandalwood scent mixed with pure male. It was nearly intoxicating. She tried to back away to escape the effect he had on her, but he only moved in closer.

 

"Tell me," he said again, his warm breath fanning her flushed cheeks. The reluctant tingles Kagome always got when Sesshomaru was near began to travel lower, to forbidden regions she'd come to despise. Heat began to pool in said forbidden regions, making her body warm. Sesshomaru's nostrils flared, his amber eyes darkening. He took another step closer to her, his chest touching hers.

 

"What do you do to me, wench?" He whispered softly. He slowly reached up a hand and lightly stroked a lock of her hair between his fingers. He brought it up to his nose and inhaled deeply.

 

"What do you mean?" Kagome whispered back, feeling desire sweep through her at his closeness. Kagome saw red briefly leak into his eyes before he shut them tightly. When he opened them again, they were back to their normal color. He stepped back, and without another word, left.

 

Kagome stood there for a while, confused as to what had just transpired. She stared after him long after he disappeared into his study. While her physical desire faded, the memory of what just happened lingered. Obviously, Sesshomaru hadn't been in his right mind. Maybe after dinner he'd indulged in a bit of demon sake? He didn't seem like the type to do so.

 

Kagome shook her head. Obviously what had happened hadn't been of any significance to him. For some reason that thought cut through her heart, but she ignored it.

 

With a deep sigh, Kagome headed back towards the sento.

 

...

 

After the bath, Rin had insisted Kagome stay to tell her a bedtime story. Kagome, obviously having no idea how to tell one being she couldn't remember if one had ever been told to her, had made a face and gently told the girl she didn't know any stories. Rin had looked sad, so Kagome had rushed to make up one.

 

"Okay. I'll try," she said softly. "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess in a kingdom far, far away. Everyone-adults, children, and animals- loved the princess, for she was kind and caring. She loved to sing, and every time she did it brought everyone happiness everywhere she went. However, there was this one giant, wicked spider who was not happy with the princess. She couldn't bring the spider happiness, for he was darkness and evil.

 

"One night, while the princess was preparing to go to sleep, the evil spider crawled into her room and kidnapped the princess. He took her far away from her kingdom and hid her in his dark castle. He locked her in the tallest tower, where she only had one window and a bed. Every night for a week the princess would look out the window and sing and pray that someone would come rescue her.

 

"Meanwhile, in her kingdom, the princess's people would hear her song, and they would weep at the loss of their beloved princess. One day, a handsome prince from another kingdom came riding atop his white steed. He went to see the king. When he saw that the king and all of his people were always so sad, he asked why. The kind said, 'Me daughter was kidnapped by an evil spider a week ago. The kingdom misses her dearly. Every night we hear her singing, but none of our men have been successful in saving her'. The king began to weep. 'What if I were to save the fair princess?' The prince asked. The king looked up and said, 'If you were to succeed in saving me daughter, then I will give you her hand in marriage.'

 

"The prince agreed, and was led to a guest room. That night, the prince did not sleep. Instead, he stayed up hearing the sad song of the lost princess. The next morning, the brave prince put on all his armor, mounted his steed, and set off to the dark castle. When he got there, he saw the giant spider crawled out of its castle. 'Who goes there?' The spider demanded. 'I have come to slay you in order to save the beautiful princess you stole from the kingdom,' the prince said. The spider laughed, and began to crawl to the prince. 'You cannot kill me,' the spider said. The prince unsheathed his sword and held up his shield to block the spider.

 

"After a while, the prince stabbed the spider in its black heart. 'Noooo!' the spider yelled as it began to shrink into a tiny version of itself. The prince then squashed the spider beneath his foot and sought out the princess. The princess, happy to finally be free from her prison, thanked the prince with a kiss. The two rode back to the kingdom.

 

"All the people gathered to greet the returned prince and princess with tears of joy. As promised, the prince married the princess the very next day. After the wedding, the beautiful princess and the handsome prince mounted the prince's white steed. The kingdom's people cheered as the prince and his princess rode off into the sunset together. From that moment on, they lived happily ever after."

 

Kagome looked down at Rin. Her eyes were closed and a small smile was on her lips. "Rin loved it, Kagome-chan." She yawned. "That story is now Rin's favorite."

 

Kagome gave a small smile and smoothed the girl's hair off her forehead. "I'm glad," she whispered. "Sleep well, Rin."

 

Rin gave a nod, already sleeping. Kagome planted a gentle kiss on Rin's forehead and stood. "Good night." She'd just gotten to the door when her sensitive hearing picked up Rin's faint whisper.

 

"Good night, okaa-san."

 

...

 

Kagome, though she was dressed in a decent sleeping yukata with an over robe, strolled outside the main palace and into one of the gardens furthest from the other buildings. It wasn't exactly late, but the day's work was over and mostly everyone had retired to their homes or the servants' building. She supposed it was improper for her to be out dressed as she was, but from what her sensitive hearing could pick up on in the distant servants' building, there were far more sinful things that were going on.

 

She took a seat on the crafted stone bench that faced a koi pond. She stared at the koi as they swam around, their many differentiating colors and designs fascinating her.

 

She felt a familiar youkai wash over her, and glanced up to watch as Kazu strolled into the garden that was surrounded with bushes of flowers Kagome didn't know the name of. He smiled as he approached. His hair was damp from a recent bath, and he wore only loose sleeping hakamas and a robe that was left loose.

 

Where Sesshomaru was beautiful in a godly way, Kazu was beautiful in a rugged way. He sat next to Kagome, far enough away to where he wasn't touching, yet close enough that she could feel the heat of him. She inhaled deeply, admiring his clean, earthy scent.

 

"Well, aren't you all dressed up," he said dryly, peering at her attire.

 

Kagome looked him up and down, her eyes lingering on his exposed chest. "Same to you."

 

He chuckled, and leaned back on the bench, his robe sliding open a bit more. Kagome got a glimpse of a hard pec before forcing her eyes away to something safer. Like the koi fish, for instance. "Did you come here dressed as you are in an attempt to seduce me?" He asked playfully.

 

Kagome felt her face heat. "W-what? N-"

 

"Because it's working."

 

Kagome whipped her head around to look at him. He had a half smile plastered to his face as his eyes lazily trailed over her. When he met her gaze, he grinned. "I'm kidding, milady. Not saying that you aren't attractive," he quickly added at Kagome's pout.

 

"I'm sure if I wanted to seduce you, I could do so easily," she said haughtily.

 

"Really now?" He responded challengingly. "Believe it or not, I am not so easily seduceable. I cannot say the same for the rest of the male species, however."

 

"Is that so?" When he nodded, Kagome leaned back as well, forcing her breasts to thrust out. She toyed with a strand of her long hair and gave him what she thought was a seductive look. She watched as his gray eyes darkened to coals of black, heard the slight hitch in his breathing. His eyes fell on her breasts. Kagome could even smell the scent of his arousal.

 

With a visible effort, Kazu jerked his gaze away from her, and let his head fall back as he gazed up at the sky. "See there?" He said, his voice sounding tight. "No problem."

 

Kagome hid her grin. She knew she had an effect on him. He was just trying to hide it. Unfortunately for him, it was a poor effort.

 

With a sudden saucy thought, she scooted closer to him. She climbed onto his lap, half straddling him, and leaned forward so her breast rubbed against his hard chest. He gasped, his head shooting up to look at her with shock and undeniable lust. Kagome smirked down at him as he reached out to grab hold of her waist. His fingers tightened on her sides, though not to the point where his claws dug into her. His eyes began to leak a faded red, just as Sesshomaru's had earlier.

 

After few moments of simply staring into her eyes, he let go of her and set her to the side of him. He shut his eyes tightly, then reopened them. They were back to their original color, though the gray were still dark with desire. "Point taken, milady. It would seem you have the power to taint even the purest of saints."

 

Kagome doubted that, but smiled anyway. One thing she did know about herself was that she liked to win. She'd known that even when the hanyou had her imprisoned. He'd often play little "games" with her, ones that tested her mentality. She'd taken great triumph each time she'd beaten the bastard at his own game.

 

"I've been wondering, Kagome-San," he said quietly. "What is you and milord's relationship, if you don't mind me asking."

 

Kagome thought back over to that moment in the hallways earlier, but dismissed it. "There is no relationship per se." She thought on how much to tell him. "He...er, saved me from some bad men, and brought me here. I suppose I am but a servant, but he has anointed me as Rin's caretaker while he is unavailable. We are connected through a mutual enemy, and he is helping me to discover who I really am, but other than that..." She shrugged. "There is nothing."

 

Though it didn't show on his face, Kazu seemed quite pleased with that answer.

 

She frowned. "Why do you ask?"

 

He looked up at the stars again. "As I said, I was just wondering. I have known Sesshomaru for quite a long time, and though I can't quite decide what it is, he seems...different."

 

Kagome blinked in question. "Different how?"

 

Kazu shrugged. "Again, I can't say for sure, but he is...less stoic."

 

Kagome's mouth fell open. "Are you kidding me? He is colder than an ice block! Never in my wildest imagination could I have envisioned a more stoic, ruthless person."

 

He chuckled. "That may be so, but believe it or not, our lord actually seems slightly lighter in mood than normal."

 

"How can you even say something like that after the way he treated you earlier today?"

 

He snorted. "I deserved that. I shouldn't have allowed myself to become..." He looked at her with a half-lidded gaze. "Distracted. Besides, I think I know my lord better than most. Earlier today it seemed he was acting out in another emotion rather than strict reprimand."

 

"And what emotion would that be? Blatant anger?"

 

"No." His smile widened. "Blatant jealousy."

 

...

 

After their ridiculous discussion in which Kagome had argued against Kazu's judgement, Kagome had declared it was growing late and weariness was creeping up on her. They both stood and side by side and walked back to courtyard separating the servants' quarters from the main palace. They'd planned on another meeting soon around the same time since the work day typically ended at dusk. Before parting ways, Kazu had taken Kagome's hand in his and placed a lingering kiss across her knuckles. He'd then smiled and bid her goodnight. They both turned and went their separate ways.

 

 

Throughout their entire interaction, neither one of them had been aware of the furious amber eyes that watched them.