InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ The Bone-Gobbling Well ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hm. I just noticed that the name “Amaya” isn’t as unpopular as I first thought. Oh well. I should have gone with a less obvious one anyway. It means Night-Rain.

I found out the meanings of several names and\or words in Inuyasha, so I thought I‘d post them here just for entertainment(this has no impact on the story, so feel free to skip ahead): Tetsusaiga - means “Iron Pulverizing Fang”, Tenseiga - means Heavenly Life Fang, Rin - companion or cold, Jaken - Hard-hearted, cruel and unkind (fits him well, doesn’t it?), Kagura - a form of ancient shinto music and\or dancing, Inu no Taisho (Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s Father) - Lord of the dogs\Dog General, Myouga - invisible council, Kouga - steel fang (I think that “ga” means fang. In fact, I’d be willing to bet on it!), Bankotsu - Ban kotsu means barbarian bones, but as a single word seems to translate as brute courage or recklessness, Banryuu - I’m not sure if this is right, but it seems to mean Barbarian kill or Barbarian axe, Jakotsu - Snake bone, Jakotsu-tou - snake bone sword, Kyoukotsu - bad luck\evil\dark\ skeleton\bones, Mukotsu - mist\fog bones, Ginkotsu - Silver bones, Renkotsu - ... I think the “ren” part of his name means to refine metal (either that or party\group\company) and, as usual, kotsu means bones, Hiraikotsu - seems to mean come flying (as of birds migrating) bones-- but again, I don’t think this is entirely right. Not all of these will be entirely accurate, I’m afraid, but most of them seem to be pretty close. If I made a mistake, feel free to let me know and help me correct it.

Reviews:

InuKagome4 - Lol, yep, they’ve had past encounters. I’m not sure when I’ll get around to explaining about it though. Amaya’s a very mysterious person, even in my mind. ^_^

inuyasha cute doggy ears - well, that’s the point isn’t it? If it was just the same quality everytime you read, you’d probably get bored after a while, but if it keeps getting better you’re more likely to stick with it. ^_^

freakhorrorchick - Woah. No pressure though, huh? ^_^

Okay, so things we learn from this chapter-- The bone-gobbling well is a fairly depressing place to be. Dead demons do not smell very good. Rat’s are stupid. And choking to death on an orange is not fun. Well, that’s really more just something that I learned, but...

DISCLAIMER: Do not, I repeat, Do NOT continue with the story if you first do not fully understand that, 1) I own none of the Inuyasha characters, and 2) that I make no money off of them. I do own the story and Amaya is most definitely mine, so don’t try and take those. (I hate plagiarizers!) ~*~   The Bone-Gobbling Well

Amaya soared through the trees, the air lapping and twisting against her dark wings as she soared through it, her keen eyes searching...

And then she spotted what she sought.

An old, crumbling, and looking very much the worse for wear, well, no more than a deep hole in the ground and some wood at the top, and stones to make up the walls, that apparently gobbled up the bones of the demons that were thrown into it.

Slowly, she came to land on the edge of the well, staring down into it’s deep depths, dipping low for a better look, before jerking back violently in disdain-- this well reeked of death!

It was a smell she was used to by now, but never from so many different demons at once.

She took an experimental sniff at the well and mentally wrinkled her nose. There must have been hundreds of demon corpses tossed into this well, and she could smell the rot of each and every one of them.

Spreading her wings, she lifted into the air, and then dove sharply down into the well, circling slowly around the short chamber at the bottom, before coming to rest on the rib bone of a long-dead demon that, from the smell, had been down here for several years. Maybe even decades.

She glared around in disgust at the graveyard before her, trying not to inhale the smell that attacked her senses and made her eyes water with it’s strength.

‘What could that wench want with such a place as this?’ She wondered angrily as she glared at a skull near the far end of the well.

A large rat skittered out from under it, and she mentally smirked as it turned and glared at her, the creature clearly not smart enough to recognise her for her evil, nor as a predator (even in this form). She spread her large wings and swiftly swooped down upon the creature.

It skittered back under the skull, hoping to hide there, but her claws were strong, and the impact of them hitting the skull caused it to shatter.

The rat thrashed and let out a terrified shriek as her talons dug into it.

She squeezed harder and slammed the creature into the ground, her claws digging into it, her weight crushing it, until it was finally dead.

Smirking, she lowered her head and tore into the beast, swallowing down the flesh that, in her human form would have surely killed her, if not then at least made her very nauseated. However, in a bird form, it was natural for her to kill such vermin, and it had no effects on her whatsoever, save to replenish the energy that so quickly fled her when she was in this state.

She finished, leaving nothing but a small pile of bones in a puddle of red lying in the only bare spot that existed in the middle of the well.

Satisfied, she spread her wings and took off into the air, soaring up high and breaking free of the canopy of trees, heading back toward Naraku’s castle to inform the damn miko of her find.

If she had stayed a little longer, or perhaps thought to turn back, she would have seen the bones of the rat slowly sinking down into the ground, before disappearing completely, carrying on the legend of the bone-gobbling well as they reappeared at the bottom of a well in a temple that existed in another time, a long time from happening.

But she did not turn back, and did not event think to look back.

She just flapped her mighty wings and gazed down at the dark, corrupted world before her, dipping low to the burnt and black lands to avoid flying through the thick, purple miasma that surrounded Naraku’s castle, reeking of evil and death and the promise of nothing better to come, of no hope existing for tomorrow.

End ~*~  

A\N: I don’t know how accurate a description of the bone-gobbling well that was, because I really can’t remember seeing it in it’s entirety before, but I figured, it’s a well, it “gobbles” bones, so this seemed to me like it would be something at least slightly accurate to what it looks like.