InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Mastering Minds ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Third and Last update for today.

Sorry, that’s just the way it has to be. ^_^

DISCLAIMER - Don’t own (but wish to hell I did), don’t make any money off of and have no real claim to the Inuyasha characters. Amaya is mine. The story is mine. And that is just about it.   Mastering Minds

Inuyasha’s mind exploded with white light as his eyes finally opened after several minutes of just sitting there, concentrating.

Amaya smiled brightly, pleased with the progress they had made. It had only been a week, but the hanyou was catching on quickly, already past deflecting minor spells.

‘Very good, Inuyasha.’ She said, drawing his slightly exhausted eyes toward him. His thoughts had been arranging themselves in a very confusing manner in his mind, she knew, and it was getting harder for him to concentrate on keeping them in check and blocking her out of his mind effectively.

She suspected that Miroku and Kagome were part of his sudden drive to get it all back, to do so well.

Once he had fully explained the entirety of his friends situations to him, and once he had fully begun to comprehend just how much they had meant to him, he had become more determined than ever to block her out of his mind, effectively severing the connection she had made between them once, and scaring the shit out of her in the process.

She had rushed over, thinking that Kikyo had discovered the link, only to find a curious hanyou inquiring as to whether or not it had worked, and then laughing his ass off at the sight of her enraged face.

Since then she had been teaching him how to deflect more major spells, and how to focus the energy into physical attacks. He had been getting quite good.

‘You’re learning very quickly.’ She said, handing him a cup of water, which he drank greedily.

‘I want to do it right.’ He said between gulps, and she nodded in understanding.

‘You mustn’t push yourself to hard, Inuyasha, or you may very well erase all the progress we’ve done.’ She reminded him, certain that it was that fact alone that prevented him from attempting to practice 24-7.

‘I know.’ He said, handing the cup back to her and wiping his mouth.

‘Do you want to try again?’ She asked, and he nodded eagerly, the exhaustion immediately leaving his eyes, as he closed them, shifting eagerly on the bed, like a puppy trying to please it’s master. Amaya smiled despite herself-- they really had come far. Inuyasha was even able to deflect while standing now, and soon enough she suspected he would not even need to relax his body properly or close his eyes-- a sure sign that he was effectively in control of his mind.

Amaya waited a moment to get the element of surprise, and then attacked him with a spell that should have unleashed all the horrible memories in his mind, effectively making his emotions control him, and bringing all the horrible feelings to the front.

Inuyasha grit his teeth, his claws digging into the futon, and his face turning slightly red in the effort to deflect.

After a moment of struggle, his lips pulled back in a snarl and his eyes flew open as a sudden shot of light burst toward her, catching her hand before she had time to move.

She made a sound, more of surprise than pain, and looked down at her hand, which appeared to have a combination of a burn and a cut running across the top.

Inuyasha was looking at her with wide eyes. ‘Did I do that?’ He asked her quietly, and she nodded, watching him closely. He looked from it to her then back to it, and a wide grin spread across her face.

She glared. ‘Well I’m glad to see my injuries amuse you-- I do not find them quite as entertaining.’ She said, but Inuyasha only grinned wider and it was infectious. Amaya soon felt one of her own spreading across her lips, and she let it for a moment, before shaking her head and rising from her chair.

‘You are mastering it, Inuyasha.’ She said, touching his forehead gently and not bothering to keep the fondness from her voice. ‘Soon you will be ready.’

His brow furrowed slightly in confusion. ‘Ready for what?’ He asked, and Amaya blinked, withdrawing her hand.

‘To face Naraku. You do want to defeat him, don’t you?’ She asked. Inuyasha stared at her a moment, then slowly nodded. ‘Then you must never ever let your guard down.’ She continued. ‘For he will use even the slightest moment of weakness to his advantage. Now’ she said, reaching her fingers toward his forehead again ‘I think it is time that I be leaving-- and you should get some rest as well. I must go and visit Miroku, and you need your sleep.’ She said, as though answering a question he did not ask. ‘I will put you into a dreamless slumber for now.’ She stated, the magic already taking effect and causing Inuyasha’s eyelids to droop.

He yawned widely, and then fell back to curl up on the bed, sleep taking him.

Amaya smiled and nodded, pausing to look out the window and make sure none of the Miko’s servants were hovering about, before transforming herself and taking off into the night, leaving the sleeping hanyou with only the thoughts that would come when he would return to wake up and the contentedness that came with knowing he was achieving what he wanted.