InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ What the World's Coming To ( Chapter 40 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Okay, this should be the last chapter for today! Hope you all like it! ^_^   ~*~   What the World’s Coming to

To say Sesshomaru was angry would be an understatement.

He was so far beyond angry that angry was nothing more than a spec in the distance barely visible to even the most perceiving eyes.

But still he kept it masked. He had worked hard for his mask and reputation of cold indifference, and he was not about to loose it now.

But still, the audacity of that ningen witch, shoving that boy at him first, and then this, his own well hated brother? It was beyond infuriating and ridiculous, and he had barely suppressed the urge to chop the damn ningen’s head off where she stood.

He was still getting over the general shock that he had agreed to let his brother stay in the first place.

Technically, Inuyasha had a right to be in these lands, in this castle that had once belonged to the great Inu no Taisho, their father. The great dog demon had left Inuyasha a small amount of land (though he doubted the half-breed was aware of it) as well as rights to exist and share this castle with his brother should he choose to do so. However, he was still the stronger of the two, the only one who had bothered to take care of any of the lands or the castle, and the only one who should have any rights to the places at all.

He really should just kill Inuyasha right now, while the hanyou was so well within his reach.

But even this enraged Sesshomaru would not stoop to those levels. He had not sunk that low yet.

“I am not running an orphanage, witch, you cannot simply cast-off all your unwanted wretches here and expect me to take care of them.” His own voice rang in his head, and Sesshomaru paused in his walked as the scene played out before him again in a mixture of voices calling back to one another and the strange scent of burning from the two fire-horse youkai.

“You know as well as I, Sesshomaru, that this goes beyond what is wanted and is falling into the category of what is needed. If Inuyasha had remained with the Miko, she would have pried too deeply into his mind and corrupted him again, and he would have been lost even to my reach. And we cannot allow that. We need him. You know as well as I that your brother has extrodinary power, even without his sword. He may well be the only one who can defeat Naraku. He simply needs to learn to focus and control it, and to have a safe place to do that until the time comes to reveal himself. The least you can do, as a brother, is offer him that.”

Perhaps it had been her words, or maybe his own guilt to fulfill his father’s wish at having both his sons coming and living in this castle, ruling over these lands, that had persuaded him. Either way, it didn’t change the fact that he now had a half-breed--his own brother no less and hated rival-- here in his castle, the risk of drawing the rage of an overly power-hungry hanyou and an obsessed miko down upon him looming over his head, and a nearly silent and terrified ningen, who had once tried to kill Rin, and who was now being constantly pestered and talked to and entertained by said girl in his home.

He shook his head-- what was the world coming to?

He turned and decided to seek out his brother-- there were many things he was curious about, many mysteries that were currently hanging around his brother, ones he had yet to learn the answers to.

And if there was one thing this Sesshomaru hated, it was a mystery.

END ~*~  

Glossary

Ningen - Human

Hanyou - Half-Demon

Inu no Taisho - Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s father -- means either Lord of the Dogs, or Dog general

Youkai - Demon

Miko - Priestess