InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Breaking the Barrier ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Lol, I hope everyone finds this chapter at least slightly up to standards. I have no idea-- I was half-dead when I wrote it. ^_^

-Snowfall - Well it’s a relief you’re reviewing now. I was beginning to worry, since no one reviewed for the past five chapters.. then again, for the last three I didn’t give people a lot of time, but... Anyway, I’m glad you find Inuyasha’s predicament deep enough to be intruiging, but I’m afraid I disagree with you about Kikyo. She is not annoying. She is so far past annoying, annoying is just some little spec on the horizon-- if even that. Yeesh, why can’t she just stay dead already? >_< -- Naraku’s attachment to Inuyasha? Hm. I don’t know. I think that he mostly just likes toying and torturing him. He probably feels bitter toward Inuyasha since the hanyou seems to constantly be taking away everything he strives to achieve. But I don’t know if that is the reason for his possessiveness in this story. -- As to Amaya, a lot of people seem to be really liking her a lot (which is strange, since I originally was thinking that maybe I should just kill her off because she wasn’t believable)! Yes, she is an OC though. -- I’m also glad you didn’t think the part about Sess’s arm was unreal. I know in the movie he rejected it, but he hasn’t exactly made any attempts in the show/manga to get it back either, so I just figured he probably carried over that whole “what use would I have for a discarded arm” thing into there as well. ^_^ -- Lol, I don’t usually read fics that aren’t X (or at least Y) rated either, yet I seem to be writing a few of them recently... Still, there are some good ones out there, I’m not gonna deny that. Glad you decided to read this one thought. ^_^   ~*~   Breaking the Barrier

Amaya glared at the barrier as she sent another tendril of dark magic toward it.

It was a simple spell that would disguise someone in demonic aura, and so far the barrier was stubbornly resisting it with all it’s heart. She sighed. It was clearly a very spiritually strong person who had erected this.

Which would mean that it would take a powerful burst of magic to even tear through it for a very short amount of time.

Mentally growling in frustration at the damn thing’s stubbornness, she opened her mouth and shot a beam of blue light into the air, visible only to the eyes of a youkai.

After a moment of it hovering there, it faded away, and she waited on her perch just outside the blizzard filled barrier, until the sound of thunder reached her ears and two orange streaks came soaring through the air toward her.

The two fire youkai-- the stallion and a different, younger male she hadn’t encountered before-- landed on the rocky outcrop of a cliff nearby her perch and turned their fiery eyes toward her.

‘I need you to wait here for me, and be ready to move as soon as I tell you.’ She mentally told the beasts. The Stallion gave a slight shake of his fire-mane, and she took that as a yes, before turning back toward the barrier.

She knew that she would never be able to make it to Inuyasha and back in the short amount of time her rip in the barrier would allow. She would have to retrieve him with some kind of magic-- it should be simple enough, considering spells of retrieval were one of the simplest to perform. However, she was worried that, once she burst the barrier, she would be too drained to perform it.

Gripping the branch tightly with her talons, she quickly began concentrating, focusing all her energy, all her power on the barrier, ignoring the strange looks she received from the two youkai in response as she blocked out the entire world, her eyes seeing nothing but the shimmering blue wall before her.

She opened her mouth again with a violent shriek as more light shot from her mouth, hitting and crackling violently against the shield, causing the horse youkai to shriek in surprise.

A dark wind began to swirl, and the branch cracked threateningly under her, but slowly her spell was breaking through the shield.

When she felt the hole was large enough, she snapped her beak shut, but realised she was too drained to retrieve the hanyou. So she spoke to the youkai instead. ‘Quickly, whichever of you is swiftest, go and retrieve the silver-haired hanyou and return before the barrier is closed!’ She shouted in her mind.

The stallion immediately burst into action, jumping up and through the frayed hole in the spirit shield as it’s edged crackled angrily around him.

She watched him speed toward the temple now visible properly through the shield, even as it’s edges began to weave together and repair themselves.

She started as blue began to creep down at an alarming rate and she realised that it was closing itself much faster than she had anticipated. If the stallion did not find Inuyasha now, he would not make it back in time before the shield closed.

‘You underestimate the speed of the horse-youkai!’ A voice thundered in her head, and she was puzzled a moment, not entirely sure who it was.

A blaze of light shot past them suddenly, and Amaya was momentarily stunned as she looked around to find Inuyasha clinging desperately to the back of the horse youkai even as the barrier closed gently behind her with a loud “snick”.

She frowned at the stallion in confusion. ‘You talk?’ She asked, and he shook his mane.

‘Only through our minds. We had yet to meet a ningen who could do the same, and never bothered attempting with you.’ He said, and she stared in amazement for a moment, before collecting herself, flying over and landing on the cliff, transforming as the visibly shaken hanyou dismounted from the stallions back.

‘That’ he announced loudly ‘was the worst thing I have ever ridden, and I will never fucking do that again! He’s worse that Toutousai’s damn cow!’ The stallion snorted angrily, and Amaya raised an eyebrow.

‘Well you’ll have to get used to it, Inuyasha. He has just gifted you your freedom, you should be thanking him, not complaining. And you have no real choice in the matter: you either ride one of the youkai, or we leave you here to die on the cliff. Make your decision with haste, we do not have all night!’

Inuyasha stared at her dumbfounded, and glared at the two youkai, the younger of which eyed him, half angrily, half mischievously, and Amaya did not really want to know what was going through the creature’s mind.

‘Come, Inuyasha, and mount. We have a fair distanced journey ahead of us and no time to loose. If you want to go to your brother, we have only a short time to depart before Kikyo realises you are missing and she sets Naraku on a manhunt.’ That said, she swiftly mounted the back of the stallion, and waited while Inuyasha, grumbling angrily, did the same with the younger of the two youkai.

It grunted and snorted angrily, taking a snap at his foot, though the stallion quickly stayed it by biting it’s flank roughly. The two stared each other down a moment, before the younger youkai looked away, flattening his ears submissively.

‘All done your little argument?’ She asked the two youkai and the oblivious and indignant Inuyasha. When three sets of eyes turned toward her, she smiled and nodded. ‘Good. Then let us be on our way--’

‘And where exactly may our way be?’ The stallion’s voice rang in her mind. She paused. ‘I do not know exactly I have only a name and a general are. We are trying to find a demon by the name of Sesshomaru-- he is an inuyoukai, like Inuyasha--’

‘I thought he was a hanyou.’

‘He is! Now pay attention. He is an inuyoukai like Inuyasha, and their scents are similar I imagine because they are brothers. This youkai rules over the western lands, but I do not know his exact location, however, I am hoping you may be able to find him by scent alone.’

The horse snorted. ‘Scent is not our strongest point, but I shall try.’ He said, before moving toward Inuyasha and taking a might sniff. The hanyou pulled away, glaring at the youkai angrily. ‘What the hell is he doing?’ He demanded, and Amaya glared.

‘He is trying to pick up your scent so that he may use it as a comparison to help locate your brother. Now either hold your tongue and cooperate or at least use it to show some respect, because I do not want to have to gag you for this trip!’ She said, and Inuyasha growled lowly, but remained silent, fuming as the horse continued to sniff him, but not pulling away.

After a moment, the youkai moved away.

‘Ready?’ She asked, and he shook his mane again. ‘Good.’ She said ‘then lets go--’ the rest of her sentence was cut off as the youkai suddenly swept into the air, causing both hanyou and ningen to cling to their necks to avoid falling to the cliffs below as the two youkai sped toward the western lands, tasting the air for the scent of the one called Sesshomaru.

END ~*~  

Glossary

Youkai - Demon

Hanyou - Half-demon

Ningen - Human

Toutousai - The swordsmith who forged both Tetsusaiga and Tenseiga.

Inuyoukai - Dog-Demon ~*~  

A/N: Well, again, hope this chapter wasn’t too unbelievable... ^_^ Off to post the next one! ^_^