InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Let Sleeping hanyou lie ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Hm, hm, hm. I’m actually surprised. Very few people mentioned this on this site. Oh well.

It’s about that time when I have to include that part of the story that everybody is almost always questioning about... hope y’all enjoy it! ^_^

-Kakarot45 - Arigato! I’m glad you’re enjoying it! ^_^ -- Yeah, I heard that rumour about his name being Toga too. However, unfortunately for him, I don’t like that name, so I just call him Inu Taisho. Besides, I don’t think anyone’s actually confirmed that yet, so... ^_^   ~*~   Let sleeping hanyou lie

Inuyasha felt himself hovering on the brink of wakefulness, and he frowned in agitation.

His feet were cold, and the air around him was chill and brisk and too fresh to be somewhere indoors. His upper body was warm though, and he could feel a weight of some kind draped over his shoulders.

He shifted and the weight did to, and the momentary feeling of anxiety disappeared as he realised that this was clearly not a means of restraint, as he had first thought.

Unconsciously, he snuggled closer to the warmth coming from whatever was under him, and paused when he felt it shift and move slightly to accomodate him. It was definitely alive then, but when Inuyasha tried to find it’s scent, he could smell nothing but the faint traces of dew on the grass, and even those were just faint scents that his mind was only registering because they added to the freshness of the air around him.

He tensed slightly in confusion and cracked open his eyes, trying not to move as he glanced at the sky. No moon. Panic surged through him as he caught sight of black hair falling across his shoulder and his mind finally registered exactly why it was so bad to be caught by anyone on this night. He was human.

Confusion laced with the earlier anxiety came soaring up to meet the panic, and he quickly pushed himself up and off his brother, turning his head to look at Sesshomaru with wide, fearful, and slightly amazed eyes.

His brother was looking back at him with a tinge of annoyance and concern in his eyes. After all, Inuyasha’s hand had been on his stomach when the boy had so suddenly decided he needed to shoot up and look at his brother, and, while the human had no real ability or strength to harm him, the pressure had been slightly similar to someone punching him lightly in the stomach, and it hadn’t been exactly comfortable.

Inuyasha stared at his brother a moment, eyes wide and dark, glittering under the light of the stars, and Sesshomaru stared back, taking a moment to fully take in his brother’s new appearance.

He had been slightly shocked to say the least when the hanyou in his arms had suddenly began to change was the rays of the fading sun hit him, his silver hair turning to the darkest black, and his ears sliding down to become the useless swirls of flesh that humans used to “hear” things. He had known that his brother turned human on some given night of the month, but he had never known when or what his brother might look like.

His change was... interesting and intriguing to say the least, especially now that Sesshomaru could see his eyes, no longer a pale gold so like his own, but a deep brown, almost burgundy in colour, a colour that undeniably belonged to the humans. Demon’s very rarely had dark coloured eyes, though if there was a connection between that and their ability to see better, he didn’t know.

All he knew was that he had a human Inuyasha in his arms, the brother who he had once hated so much in his weakest most venerable form, and he could feel the fear and uncertainty washing off the human in waves. Again, the strong desire to protect flowed through him as his brother glanced around, possibly for a way to escape.

‘Inuyasha.’ He said quietly, drawing the human’s dark gaze toward him. He could feel the light tremble going through that body, whether from fear or the presumably chilly air on his weak human flesh, Sesshomaru wasn’t sure. Either way, he wanted it to stop. His brother was safe here, under Sesshomaru’s care, and had no reason to be afraid. If only he could get Inuyasha to understand and accept that, then everything would go a lot smoother.

The two brothers stared at one another a moment, neither sure what to say, but slowly, he could feel the fear leaving Inuyasha, even though the boy seemed un-inclined to relax again. He gently eased Inuyasha back down against his chest, secretly enjoying just holding his brother, accepting the offered comfort of having someone to protect that stilled the youkai within him from crying out in rage that this someone was a hanyou and a taint in his bloodline.

Inuyasha’s teeth immediately flew to his lip as his brother drew him back down against him, and he tensed, a million thoughts and emotions rushing through his head. Naraku and Kikyo would sometimes hold him like this. Well no, not like this. Naraku always had an evil intent and some sort of torture in store, and Kikyo’s embrace was always cold and lacking anything but possessiveness. But Sesshomaru... there was warmth in this embrace and comfort and something... not quite love. He didn’t get his hopes up that Sesshomaru would ever love him-- he was still the taint in the family, and Sesshomaru would have to accept and get over that before he could love him, and he knew that was something Sesshomaru would never do.

But still, he felt safe in his brother’s embrace, safer than he had in a long time, safe enough to risk falling asleep... Inuyasha started slightly, and sat half-way up again when Sesshomaru’s arm tightened, staying him. He frowned, trying to ignore the rising surge of claustrophobic panic, and turned to look at his brother with wide eyes.

‘I’m human.’ He said, and Sesshomaru’s lip twitched slightly and the pure amazement held in that statement.

‘Yes, I noticed.’ The lord of the Western lands said, and Inuyasha’s eyes narrowed slightly as Sesshomaru’s lip lifted ever so slightly in the closest thing to a smile he had ever seen his brother wear. ‘I didn’t mean that, I knew I was human before’ he said angrily ‘I just meant... I was asleep.’

Sesshomaru’s eyebrows raised slightly. ‘Little brother, if you are going to continue to point out the obvious, I am going to have to ask you to refrain from speaking at all. I do not need to be told that the sky is blue when I can see it plainly before my eyes.’

Inuyasha’s eyes widened slightly at this statement, then narrowed again, though more in confusion now then anger or agitation. ‘You don’t understand.’ He said in frustration ‘I never sleep when I’m human. Well, except when Naraku forced me, and when the spiders poisoned me, but that doesn’t count because I had no choice...’ he trailed off as he realised he had drawn his brother’s gaze (though in reality, it had never really left him) and he sat silent for a moment, before shifting uncomfortably and glaring at Sesshomaru.

‘What?’ He demanded of his elder sibling, and Sesshomaru blinked and his eyes seemed to slide into focus (even though they had never looked out of focus to begin with) and then he shook his head lightly. He was not going to explain to Inuyasha why he had been staring. He was Sesshomaru, and he had no reason to explain himself to anyone, not even his half-demon brother.

In truth, that’s all it really had been: a stare. He had been staring aimlessly at nothing in particular (that existed in this world, anyway) and Inuyasha simply happened to be in his line of sight.

Shaking his head again, he gently tightened his grip on Inuyasha, urging him to lie down again and go back to sleep so that Sesshomaru could think or stare in peace. ‘It is nothing, otouto. Go back to sleep.’ He said. Inuyasha eyed him a moment, but this was his first time in human form with his mind fully his own again, and he was exhausted.

So he let his brother lean him gently back down against his chest, and forced himself to relax (which was surprisingly not that difficult a task) and closed his eyes, drifting to sleep and silently praying that he would be alive to see the sunrise the next morning.

END (But only of the chapter ^_^) ~*~  

Glossary

Hanyou - Half-Demon

Youkai - Demon

Otouto - Little Brother ~*~

A/N: well, hope y’all enjoyed that.

I’ve got some stuff I’ve got to do now, so until the next chapter I guess... ^_^

Ciao!

~Avarwen~