InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Challenge Destiny Movie Madness: July - Thriller/Horror ❯ The Onryou ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Challenge Destiny on July 2, 2012 for Movie Madness July: Thriller/Horror.

Title: The Onryou
Prompt Name/Prompt List/Ficlet # : Untamed Heart – July - #6
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Genre: Admin's Genre- Thriller/Horror
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 700
Summary: It's the night of the new moon. In an effort to remain awake Kagome decides to tell scary stories around the fire. But in a time of demons, is any story truly just a story?
Warnings: None
A/N: An onryou is a Japanese spirit, usually women, that returns to seek vengeance.

------------------------------


“Thi s is stupid,” Inuyasha groused, shoving his black hair out of his face.

“No it's not,” Kagome smiled at the temporary human. “It's fun and a good way to keep us awake and alert. Has anyone heard the story of the Onryou and the Untamed Heart?”

Kagome wove a tale of a woman who fell in love with a wanderer, a man unable to settle down for his heart yearned for the open road. He loved her and married her, promising to stay with her. But she was unable to tame his heart and soon the call to travel the lands pulled at him until he could no longer ignore it, abandoning his wife to travel the lands once more.

Betrayed and alone, she died of a broken heart. Her spirit returned as an Onryou, angrily seeking vengeance on those unable to settle down in one place, tracking down those with untamed hearts and ripping them out.

“And you will know she is near when the wind blows through the trees, whispering 'will you go or will you stay?'” Kagome finished.

Inuyasha snorted. “Feh, like there's any truth to that story.”

“I don't know, there are some who could learn from it,” Sango said, pointedly looking at a certain Houshi.

“Sango, you wound me!”

“Hmph!”

“This is stupid,” Inuyasha said again. “Ain't nothing gonna happen. You don't see me settling down in a village and no ghost's tried anything yet.”

A strong wind  blew through the area and the fire flickered.

'Will you stay or will you go?'

Inuyasha turned to glare at Kagome. “Very funny wench.”

She frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Keh! Don't act like you don't know.”

Again, the wind gusted. 'Will you stay or will you go?'

His eyes widened. He had been looking right at her and her lips hadn't moved. “Sango? You say something?”

She frowned from where she had been arguing with Miroku. “No.”

Inuyasha warily began looking around. The wind increased, then a ghostly figure in white appeared in the trees, her long unkempt her fluttering behind her as her eyes fixated on the currently human hanyou.

'Will you stay or will you go?'

Kagome's eyes widened. “No!” She fought the wind to throw herself in front of Inuyasha as the apparition approached. The others were blown into the trees, unable to move. “No, you can't have him!”

Inuyasha tried to shift her behind him. “Damn it wench, get behind me!” His eyes locked onto the angry face of the apparition as it stopped just in front of them, reaching for him.

Her eyes turned to Kagome. “He will abandon you.”

“No, he won't.”

“He is too wild, he will never be able to settle down.”

“I don't care. I love him the way he is, untamed heart and all.”

“Kagome,” Inuyasha whispered.

The ghost hissed. “His heart will be mine!” She reached for him again.

Inuyasha glared at her. “You'll never get my heart!” 'It's already taken,' he thought, pulling Kagome against his chest, trying to shield her.

The ghost hissed again, snatching her hand away as if burned. She turned her glare on Kagome. “Why should he stay with you, when he wouldn't stay with me?! Why should you be happy?!” She made to strike at the miko.

“You won't hurt her!” Inuyasha snarled, twisting his body around to protect the girl in his arms before crying out in pain as the icy cold hand inserted itself into his body.

“Inuyasha! No!” Kagome grabbed her weapons, notching and firing an arrow. “You can't have him!”

The arrow passed right through the spirit who laughed before crying out in pain.

“Your love, your love is true! It burns!” She dissolved in a flash of light.

Kagome rushed to Inuyasha's side. “Inuyasha! Are you alright?”

“Keh, I'm fine wench.”

“Guess I shouldn't tell anymore ghost stories.”

He snorted as they rejoined the others around the fire. 'Don't have to worry about this heart, you tamed it long ago.'