InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ Two Sides of One Coin ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha!

However: To copy anything from my story, without my consent, is plagiarism!

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings1

Chapter 7 ~ Two Sides of One Coin

Kagome shifted, feeling the annoying sun hitting her eyelids. She groaned and rolled over, turning her back to the bright rays. She always woke the same way, sun on her back. Her hand swept over her bed, rustling the leaves. Automatically her eyes fluttered opened, confused why her sleeping bag was in shreds. Finding only dead leaves Kagome hurried into a sitting position.

That's right she had lost her way, saw Inuyasha with Kikyo, and then Destiny came.

"Destiny" Kagome whispered, her eyes searching the sunlit forest. There was no sign of the small girl.

Slowly the woman stood, brushing away the clinging leaves on her clothes and hair, "Well, at least I can see everything now. I can probably find my way back."

Glancing at her wristwatch she noticed it was well into the morning. She had left camp seven hours ago. Her shoulders dropped wearily, "I probably have everyone worried. Great job, Kagome."

Using her fingers as a comb she began to brush away the tangles in her hair. Kagome glanced in different directions, looking for any signs of camp. Okay, even if you can see where you're at, it doesn't mean you know where you are.

Giving a frustrated growl the woman frowned, "Now I have to wait for someone to find me. We don't have time for this."

"KAGOM E?" his voice shouted from the distant right. Her heart smiled, he was looking for her.

"Kagome?" he sounded frantic, and terribly worried.

Grinning from ear to ear the girl cupped her hands around her mouth, "I'm over here, Inuyasha!"

The forest sounded like it was collapsing. Exploding from the vegetation, the white haired demon burst into the clearing, twigs and leaves clinging to his body. His gold eyes frantically searched the area and immediately saw the maiden. Before she could blink he was in front of her hysterically asking, "Are you alright? What happened? Why didn't you come back? Did Kouga try something last night?"

Kagome blinked. He had seen Kouga follow her into the forest. Why didn't Inuyasha come after him? The Hanyou didn't tolerate the wolf sniffing around Kagome when she was alone.

"WELL?!" he shouted growing impatient.

She smiled sadly, "I got a little lost and accidentally fell asleep in the forest, that's all."

He slouched and muttered in astonishment, "That's it."

"Yea" she nodded walking pass him, "Now can we get going. We still have a bit of distance to cover. If we push hard we can make it to the well before dusk."

She began walking eager to return, and also to escape this moment of being alone with him. If she didn't leave now, she might pour out her love for him. He didn't need to feel guilty over his decision to be with Kikyo.

"Kagome" he called after her. She would have ignored the silent command if she hadn't notice the slight warmth in his tone. He sounded wistful, almost torn between his rough attitude and his concern for her.

She looked over her shoulder, not allowing herself to be vulnerably by exposing her whole self to him. He explored her eyes trying to see the rest of the story she chose to hide.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he was claiming a truce, saying if she would confided in him he would not spout off any of his wisecracks.

Shoving her hands into her jacket's pockets, she whispered, "Don't worry about it, Inuyasha. It's nothing you can help with."

She moved off before he could press her for more. Inuyasha took a step meaning to follow, but he had learned long ago if Kagome would not tell, then nothing would get her to answer, unless you bugged her to the end of her wits. Nevertheless, he refused to interrogate her. He would prefer she would come to him instead.

His heart jumped when she suddenly turned around smiling brightly. She nervously slapped away a lock of hair, "Er . . . Inuyasha, which way is camp?"

_____________________________

The arrow hit the third ring.

Seventy.

Kagome armed the bow again snorting in aggravation. Her almond eyes followed the length of the arrow's body and narrowed on the white chalk circles. The string strummed and the weapon flew embedding into the tree bark.

Her shoulders dropped.

Fourth ring, the largest one.

'Make that eighty.'

Her aim was not itself today. She usually hit over two hundred by this time.

'It's the stress.'

Another arrow, another bad hit. Now she had racked up a hundred points.

'Everything is boiling down to the next few hours. Anyone would be off their game. It's only natural.'

Another arrow flew, but this one completely missed the white target by half a foot.

"Darn it!" she snapped under her breath. She raised her gloved palm to her face and noticed the irregular shaking.

She didn't need this.

Kagome loaded the next bullet in rapid hast. She didn't even bother following the length of the arrow when she aimed. When it released, the arrow didn't even hit the tree.

She rubbed her face frustrated. If her skills failed her during the fight she could lose her life, or someone else's.

Ignoring the growing pain in her side and the sweat dripping her brow, she readied her bow again. She pulled the string taunt, her jaw clenching together.

She didn't care if she was the weakest fighter in the group. They would still need her.

She wanted to believe she was useful.

The arrow glared at her from the ground, refusing to jump into the tree. She glowered at the stupid feather end, defeated.

Looking around she noticed everyone sharpening his or her weapons. It had been decided that this would be their last break. Kagome refused to take another rest and Inuyasha refused to go further until she had taken a break, thus the result.

Metal flashed throughout the camp. The army was rippling in wait. Nerves were bunching in impatience and fear.

If they waited any longer the entire party would charge Naraku and trip over their own feet.

With her gas mask hanging from her neck, Sango ran a palm over her large boomerang, checking for nicks. Miroku swung back his staff and Shippo flipped backwards. Kilala hopped onto the rod and ran up the shaft, charging the monk. Sango smiled as the cat caught the man's ponytail. Shippo snarled and flew at the religious figure's chest. In seconds the monk was rolling in the dust struggling to throw off the two demons.

Kagome smiled at the growing play fight, watching Sango join in. Leaning against a near tree the priestess rested. Her side was flaring in heat. Perhaps she should take a break, pushing herself wouldn't help.

Soon she found herself sitting on the ground, her mind just rambling in thought, and her bow limp in her hands.

'Souta's birthday will be in August. I need to find a nice trinket from here before I leave.'

She scowled as her eyes closed, 'When I do leave, should I close the well?'

'If it remains open, I can still come visit. I can help with Miroku and Sango's courtship. I can make sure Shippo is growing up happy. Kaede will need help bringing in more herbs for fall.'

'But . . .'

'I'll come back to find him missing, or worse, Kikyo and Inuyasha will stay in the land of the living. If that happens Kikyo will stay where her home is, Kaede's village. How can I go see anyone when those two will be there? I can barely stand it as it is.

'Besides, if the well stays open more demons will travel to my time. More than once a demon has found its way to the present world. What if it continues?

'Maybe the time has come for my stay here to end. Maybe my destiny in this period has ended. Once Naraku is destroyed the jewel will be complete and my purpose here gone.

'Is that why I was first brought to this time? Was I the one destined to stop Naraku?

'Maybe, it's better to close the well. My life on the other side is beginning. I only have two years left for my bachelor's degree. I want to get my doctrine. I'll be getting a real job.

'These last years I've been spending less time here, in the past. Perhaps fate is trying to gently break me away from this. Is it time for me to move on?'

Tears trembled down her rosy cheeks as the thought fate crushed her heart. To give him up, she must give all of them up.

'I can't. I can't leave them.

'But what if someone else falls into the well? People aren't meant to visit the past.

'More importantly, what if someone from this time goes into the future?

'Naraku isn't the only evil here. If someone just as powerful goes through the well my future will be destroyed.

'But they need a Shikon shard to travel through the well.

'Actually Inuyasha has been able to travel back and forth without a shard. Several demons have passed through also without a shard's aid. The Piper demon, which took care of the spirits of dead children, never had a shard. Besides the giant centipede woman had been the one who came part way into the present and pulled me into the past.

'Maybe . . .'

'Maybe, only humans need a shard to pass through. What if any demons can use the well?'

Kagome's eyes flew open. She had opened the way for the danger.

The well had to be sealed!

"I see your aim is a bit off" Kikyo commented as she came to stand by the girl. Kagome automatically stood, suddenly uncomfortable.

Glancing at the tree in embarrassment the time traveler replied, "It's the stress."

"Perhaps" the priestess replied walking to the target, "It seems more like distraction."

Twirling the bow like a baton Kagome muttered, "Can you blame me? At the end of this road lies my home and Naraku. One must end, but I have no way to no which will end."

The silent woman nodded still staring at the arrows. She was scrutinizing their positions. Was she judging her?

"Kagome, would you like a lesson" her voice spoke evenly. Kagome's eyebrow rose. Glancing at the others she noticed the play fight had ended and her friends were staring at the two of them, concerned for her.

Changing her weight to the other foot, Kagome nodded, "I would be honored."

The corpse nodded and pulled out the embedded arrows. Double-checking the bunch she handed the bundle to the original owner and Kagome replaced them in her quiver.

The time traveler armed her weapon, ready to begin. Walking around her reincarnation, Kikyo stood directly three feet to the rear, "Now, take a shot."

Inhaling Kagome lifted her bow and followed her aim. Her fingers dug into the feather as her chocolate eyes narrowed on the target.

The arrow was embedded in the largest circle, 'Crap.'

Kagome bit her lip, wanting to kick the tree. Her rival was watching this sad display. How more pathetic could she get?

"Don't worry about it" the woman's voice was deadpan, giving way to no comfort except in what words she used, "You're aim is good from what I've seen. Your body is tired though."

"Maybe this a bad idea then?" Kagome said feebly.

"Never" the priestess argued, "When a battle occurs you don't have time to take a breath. Everything happens in an instant whether you're tired or not. Survival depends on how effective you can react."

Kikyo signaled for another try, but before Kagome took aim her sister began adjusting her arms, "Keep your aiming arm perfectly straight, but never lock your elbow. When you pull your arrow make sure you're not pulling so tight that your hand shakes. It doesn't matter how far your arrow can fly if it hits only ground."

Sighing the maiden aimed again. Her eyesight was unfocused for a split second, but she blinked away the haze. She felt vulnerable at that moment with her rival watching her. She wanted to prove herself worthy.

She wanted that bulls-eye.

The string twanged as the arrow flew. Kagome grinned when she noticed the arrow had hit the very rim of the center circle.

Kikyo nodded, "Not bad. Just remember don't lock your elbows and never pull too hard."

The younger miko turned, surprise evident on her face, "Thanks."

The older miko shrugged walking away, "You might be the one who gets the opportunity to kill him, and I don't want us to lose any chance we might have."

Kagome sadly stared after the woman, 'you're so much like Inuyasha. You hide behind logic and excuse. Never willing to expose what you really feel or intend. It's just that you hide better than he does."

The time-traveler took another look at her last shot and scowled, 'I doubt it will be me that will determine the battle, but I promise not to fail given the opportunity.'

She narrowed her eyes vowing to cutoff Naraku's path. He would never reach the well.

Kagome walked towards her friends, their game long gone, but their happiness still in the air. Sighing wearily she sat across from her sister and laid down her weapons.

Sango offered her water jug and Kagome took it gladly. Downing a swallow, the priestess grinned, "Thanks."

Her sister nodded, "How are you holding?"

"Fine" the maiden, replied, dodging the concern, "I barely feel anything in my side and my hand is just a little sore."

'That's a load of bull.'

Kagome reached for her pack, feeling hungry, but before her fingers brushed the bag Sango grabbed her wrist. The huntress immediately ripped off the leather glove, the miko wore, revealing the red bandages. Kagome winced painfully as Sango peeled away the gauzes finding raw bleeding flesh.

Shaking her head the fighter muttered, "This is what you call sore? You have to be in a lot of pain, Kagome. "

The priestess looked away, guilty, "It's not that bad."

Sango poured ointment on the red palm causing Kagome to suck in a deep breath. Rubbing tenderly over the wound Sango watched her friend's eyes water. It wasn't even close to finish healing.

"You need to be careful" she instructed whiling wrapping new bandages around the girl's hand, "It could get infected or never heal properly."

Kagome wrenched her hand away once Sango was done. She wasn't a baby. Slightly hurt by the priestess's reaction, the huntress kept silent as the woman replaced her glove.

Stretching her hand to test flexibility, Kagome whispered, "Don't worry about me, Sango. I'll be alright."

The huntress leaned forward, her eyes distraught.

"Your important to me" the woman insisted covering the glove hand with her own, "I have to worry about you. I dare not lose you, or anyone else here."

"I feel the same way" Kagome replied quietly looking at the ground, "Everyone I know and care for lies in danger, and I'm responsible."

"You mustn't believe that" Miroku insured having listen to the whole conversation, "Naraku was not your doing, Kagome."

"The well is" the miko retorted loudly, "By bringing myself here I have opened the way for demons to reach my time, setting everyone in my time in danger. Thus, I must protect the well, but in doing so bringing all of you into battle."

"We gladly come to your aid, Kagome" Sango tried to ease the maiden, "The battle was to come whether or not the well became endangered. Besides your coming to this time period was pure accident."

"Not anymore its not" she argued weakly, "I should have stayed in the future. I belong there."

Kagome jumped as she felt a small furry form crawl into her lap. Looking down at her kit's blue eyes, she saw tears. Clutching her hand in his tiny one he asked softly, "Do you not like it here with us, Kagome?"

She wanted to cry again.

"I love it here, Shippo" the miko reassured hugging the child, "It's just I'm responsible for ever letting a demon through the Bone-eater's Well. People have gotten hurt because I continued to visit this time period. I left the well open for others to pass through."

Sango grew worried and eyed the pensive woman, "Kagome?"

The miko woke from her thoughts, "Yes?"

Swallowing the lump forming in her throat the huntress said, "The way you're talking, it sounds like you plan to seal the well."

"Where is Inuyasha?" Kagome asked changing the subject as quickly as possible.

Sango was surprise at the dodging of her question and sought to ask it again, but Shippo cut her off, "He's been off on his own since we stopped."

Kagome glanced towards the trees behind her, 'He's making a decision for Kikyo, but didn't he say he would keep his promise to her?'

Standing the monk stretched, "I best retrieve him. We should get back to the road. We have rested long enough."

Kagome stood rapidly, "I'll round up Kouga and his men."

Sango reached for the retreating miko distressed, "Miroku, why did you let her go like that? Didn't you hear what she was saying? She plans to seal the well. She might be leaving us forever!"

"Ease your worries, Sango" the monk said watching their sister talk to the wolf demons, "Lately, she's been under a lot of stress. She needs time to collect herself before she can tell us anything."

She knew he was right, but it didn't make her feel better. Sighing, unhappy with the thought of their sister leaving them, Miroku left to find the dog demon.

__________________________

Kagome panted, her side burnt in the ripping wind. The sun had already disappeared behind the covered horizon, but the sky still contained its pink glow with blackness hanging at its corners. They had entered the Forest of Inuyasha less than a half hour ago.

The well was a few moments away.

The dusk had brought a strange mist to close in around them as they flew through the forest. Was this a way for Naraku to intimidate them?

Kagome pushed harder even though her injuries were tearing open. She grunted pushing away the hissing ache. Looking over Miroku's shoulder she could see Inuyasha entering the open field. Panting she stumbled into the dusk covered land, her eyes automatically locking on the stone edifice.

Everyone slowed to a halt, their eyes darting over the area for any signs of their opponent. They were ready for battle, but had no one to fight.

"He should be here" the dog growled, "He would have at least followed us."

Kagome's eyes stayed on the well her heart speeding up with each empty moment. Had he already gone through?

Frantically she left the protection of the group and clambered up the shallow hill.

"Kagome!" he called after her, his voice warning.

"Wait, Kagome!" Sango too cried.

She had to be sure.

She stumbled at the top and fell towards the rim. Gripping the lip of the well she searched the deep pit. However, without the sun there was only blackness seen.

For a frantic moment she thought to leap in and make sure her time was untouched, but she stopped. What if he was waiting on her to do just that? He wanted to see her travel through. Or better yet, did he think he could pass to the future if he was with her?

"Kagome!" they called urging her back.

Slowly she walked backwards her eyes watching the stonewall, concerned it would leap towards her at any moment.

"Kagome!"

It was too late of a warning.

"Now the key has found its way to me," the dark voice roared in the clearing. Slowly her eyes rolled to the treetops, his silhouette towering above her.

She never knew what happened after that moment.