InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Part 2 - Mad World 1 (Familiar Faces) ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Choices - by Foxfire79
 
Disclaimer: Apparently I still don't own any of the InuYasha characters, they're still Rumiko Takahashi's. Neither do I own the Simpson's characters (Matt Groening's), the poem `Jabberwocky' (Lewis Carroll's), the poem `The Road Not Taken' (Robert Frost) or any other pop-culture references I use and forget to list (owned by rich, famous, extremely suspicious individuals). If I did own them, as I mentioned before, I'd be rich.
 
Other stuff I still don't own:
Swimming pool
Coffee bean grinder
Dancing, shape-shifting transformer Citroen
 
Any takers? Didn't think so! Bah! On with the madness!
 
 
 
Part 2 - Mad World 1 (Familiar Faces)
 
Kagome jerked awake from an extremely deep sleep. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, looking around her room with confusion. What had woken her up? She thought someone had called her name, but nobody else seemed to be moving around yet. There were no noises from the kitchen or the bathroom, and no lights shining through under her bedroom door. She moaned and threw herself back on the bed.
 
“What am I supposed to do now? I can't go back to sleep… What time is it anyway…? 4.30am! Nooo!” Kagome buried her face in her pillow to suppress the scream of frustration. She removed her face from the pillow and sighed deeply.
 
“Ah well. It's too late to go back to sleep, but too early to start bustling around in the kitchen. I might as well get a head start on some of that English homework for school tomorrow. Now where did I leave those books…?” Kagome turned on her desk light and started fumbling around in her school bag for the errant homework. Not having any luck, she shuffled across the room and started rummaging through her larger backpack.
 
“Ah Ha! Success!” Kagome grinned and sat down at her desk, cracking her knuckles and getting ready for some solid study time before breakfast.
“Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll” Kagome studied the illustrations alongside the writing.
 
“Looks kinda interesting… Maybe like an adventure poem or something… What with all the monsters and such… It doesn't seem to make much sense though…” She puzzled over the first few words of the work.
 
`“T'was brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe”'
 
Kagome scratched her head.
 
“What on earth… what the hell does that MEAN!!” Kagome furrowed her brow and checked the homework question that went with the poem. She suddenly beamed.
 
“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!” The homework question was an easy one after all - and she didn't have to try and interpret all of the nonsense words permeating the great work in front of her.
 
“Sorry, Mr Carroll,” Kagome explained to the poem on the table, “It's just too early in the morning to be dealing with you. I'm going to do the easy part first - write my own version of your poem!” Kagome settled down to work with a slight smile playing on her lips. She knew exactly what to write!
 
 
InuYasha looked up, and instead of seeing stars he saw the roof of the well house.
 
“Huh,” He snorted to himself, “At least this is the same. Though it doesn't smell as if anyone's been in here for years…” He reached out for the ladder which usually rested against the side of the well, for an easy exit on this side. After fumbling for a few seconds he realized…
 
“Oh yeah. That ladder won't be here because Kagome doesn't need it. Which doesn't really help me right now!” InuYasha dug his fingers into the soft dirt and wood lining the well and hauled himself up to the top.
 
“This would be so much easier with my claws! Ouch!” He yelped slightly as a splinter dug its way under his finger nail.
 
He eventually made his way up and out of the well, breaking through the rotting wooden cover with a couple of punches. He shook the splinters and dirt from his dark hair, and moved towards the door of the well house. He sniffed the air expectantly, but in his human form this was more of a habit than a useful talent.
 
“Why am I being so careful…? It's not like anyone's even going to be awake! I'm just going to make sure that Kagome's safe at home, then I'm going to tell that little wish fairy Kareru to go home because everything's fine!” InuYasha rolled the door open and stepped out into the crisp night air.
 
The first thing he noticed when he spotted the Higurashi house was that one of the lights was on. The second thing he realized was that the light was coming from Kagome's room. He furrowed his brow, and trotted toward the house, silently.
 
“How come she's awake?” InuYasha hid behind the spirit tree and peered up at the dimly lit window. He could see the shadow of a young woman sitting at the desk in the corner, her head bent low over a piece of paper, and her pen-hand moving quickly as she captured her ideas. The pen suddenly stopped scratching, and the shadow moved over to the window. A slender arm pulled the curtain open, and opened the window, letting in some fresh air. The young woman leaned outside, letting the crisp early morning air kiss her cheeks. She smiled, then her eyes widened as she stifled a yawn. She leaned backwards and cracked her back slightly, then rolled her neck a few times to ease the study crick. InuYasha looked at her slightly confused.
 
“Is that Kagome? She looks a little… older…” The girl leaned out the window once more, then grinned and clapped her hands a couple of times as she noticed something off in the east. The sunrise! InuYasha looked down at his hands - they remained unclawed. And his hair remained dark. What was happening? He almost didn't hear what the girl said next…
 
“Well, it's six o'clock, my homework's finished and the sun is rising - I can finally say it! Happy seventeenth birthday, me!” InuYasha blinked dumbly. It's her birthday? And she's 17? Does that mean I'm seeing Kagome's future?
 
“Happy birthday, sis!” Kagome's younger brother, Sota, came barreling into the room, and into his sister, knocking her off her feet. InuYasha listened to her musical laughter as she untangled herself from the strapping ten year old boy.
 
“Sota, you jerk! You're gonna bruise me up…!” Kagome's voice faded as she chased her brother from the room, probably toward the kitchen for breakfast. InuYasha snorted softly to himself, then headed back toward the well house. Kids!
 
“Well, I guess that's that. Kagome seems to be happy, she's got her family to look after her, and all she's got to worry about now is her school work. I think that wish worked out nicely…” He slid the door of the well house back open and slipped in, closing it silently behind him. He made his way back over to the well, surveying the damage to the old well cap.
 
“Gee, if I did that much damage in my human form… I must have really wanted to get over here… I hope Kagome's Grandpa doesn't get too angry about this… Still, who's he gonna blame?” InuYasha gripped the lip of the well, and jumped back over the edge…
 
Landing hard on the ground at the bottom. InuYasha scratched his head, then touched the tip of his tongue. A small blood spot appeared on his finger. He must have bitten himself when he landed so hard. Well, I wasn't expecting to land, I was expecting to go back…Unless I'm supposed to stay here longer and see some more of Kagome's lifeHe dug his fingers back into the soft lining of the well and started to climb out again.
 
“Well, there's no point sitting in there the entire day - I might as well entertain myself. And I did want to make sure…” Make sure that Kagome really is happy.
 
“What can you really tell by watching someone for an hour anyway! She could be really unhappy! And for all I know she doesn't have any friends outside of her family. And for all I know, school is… is… horribly dangerous!” He puffed and finally managed to wrangle himself out of the well. He ran to the door, threw it open, and hurried back behind the spirit tree to see where Kagome was. She and Sota were both in school uniforms getting ready to leave. The door flew open and both of the young people flew out and ran towards the shrine steps which led to the street.
“Kagome, wait! You forgot your… lunch. Oh well, it should keep for tomorrow.” Kagome's mother smiled ruefully and placed the wrapped lunch box in the fridge. InuYasha remembered being sent after her once to deliver it at school, and he felt a sharp pang in his chest. What's wrong with you, he thought to himself. Snap out of it! It's better that she never knew you…The pain didn't fade. Suddenly, he realized he'd been standing in front of the glass kitchen door in front of Kagome's mother, and she hadn't noticed him at all. Can anyone see me right now? He tried to rap his knuckles against the glass, but they didn't make a sound.
 
“Hey! HEY! Hello! Kagome's Mom!” The woman didn't even lift her head. They can't hear me either… This could be interesting. I didn't have to hide after all! A huge grin broke out over InuYasha's face.
 
“This is going to be great!” He ran after the disappearing Higurashi's, following them down the steps to the main road. His black hair flew out behind him, and he chuckled to himself.
 
“I'm gonna go to school! Now I'll finally know what all that fuss was about…” His train of thought faltered as a tall boy stepped out from the fence beside the gate, and gently took Kagome's arm in his.
 
“Hey Kagome,” He said softly in greeting, then nodded hello to Sota. The short boy grinned up at the taller one. He stretched out a hand to shake in greeting.
 
“Good morning Hojo!” Hojo smiled at Sota, then ruffled his hair.
 
“Who taught you to shake hands like that?” Sota grinned and ran off down the street towards his bus, yelling back his answer.
 
“I've been watching western television, on cable! The Soprano's! I'm learning lots of American swear words too, like fu…” The innocent ten year old's exuberant curse was drowned out by the arrival of his bus. He jumped on board, then ran down the back, waving through the window until his sister and her boyfriend her mere specks.
 
InuYasha fumed. Who was this guy, who thought he had the right to just be hanging off Kagome. And he was playing with Kagome's kid brother just the way that InuYasha had used to. Kagome looked up at the tall young man next to her, and raised her hand towards his face.
 
“Yeah, that's it, slap him! Get him a good one! Better yet, `sit' him! Just do it qui… huh?” InuYasha's eyes widened. What the…
 
Kagome brushed her hand across Hojo's cheek, then brought it to rest against the back of his head, drawing his face down towards her's. She leaned her body in close to his, and he bent his knees slightly to meet her mouth in a tender kiss. InuYasha's knees turned to water, and he abruptly fell against the fence, his eyes wide with shock. They eventually broke away from each other, both blushing slightly.
 
“Good morning,” She breathed, slightly breathless. Hojo seemed to be slightly redder than her, and it took him a little longer to collect his thoughts. He fumbled in his uniform jacket's pocket for a moment and brought out a small box, which he presented her with.
 
“Happy birthday, Kagome. I… I hope you like this…” His expression was both hopeful and extremely nervous. Kagome's eyes widened and she grasped the box, reading the label.
 
“Oh my, Hojo, this had to be… terribly expensive! You know you shouldn't go spending all that money on me - I always feel so bad…” Hojo smiled indulgently at her, clutching her hand in his, pressing her fingertips to his lips.
 
“You're worth every bit… besides, when I saw it, I immediately thought of you. I had to get it!” Kagome pulled the lid from the box and eyed the beautiful pieces of jewellery inside. Her mouth gaped open slightly, and a faint gasp escaped from her lips.
 
“Hojo… they're beautiful…” InuYasha got back onto his feet and craned his neck towards them. He drew in a light breath as he looked at the gift Kagome had just received. Then he looked closer, and snorted.
 
“Huh. Fake. For a minute there I thought…” His thought died away as Kagome held her hair up out of the way, and fastened the catch of the silver chain at the back of her neck. The small pink jewel which hung from the chain glimmered faintly in the morning sunlight. She left the matching rose quartz drop earrings in the box. Hojo rearranged her hair over shoulders and stood back in front of her.
 
“You're beautiful…” he whispered, leaning forward to bestow another kiss upon the birthday girl. InuYasha tried to swat him on the head, but his hand just wouldn't make contact.
“Oh, hey!” Kagome broke the kiss, and pointed down the street. Their bus was trundling up the road towards them. The couple hefted their school bags onto their backs and boarded when the bus arrived. InuYasha leapt in behind them, just as the door was closing. Kagome's girl friends Eri, Ayumi and Yuka were waiting in the back of the bus.
 
“Hey Kagome!” Kagome grinned and pulled Hojo up closer behind her. He leaned forward and grinned at the girls too.
 
“Good morning ladies!” He held Kagome around the waist as there weren't enough seats on the crowded city bus. InuYasha's face burned and he looked out the window at the buildings. I wanted her to be happy, he fumed to himself, but why the hell did I have to see everything! Why wouldn't Kareru let me come back? The lull of the rolling bus wheels and general hubbub was too much for InuYasha's sensitive ears. He plugged his ears with his fingers and stared angrily out the window. He could still hear the girls' animated conversation though.
 
“So, I wonder what Mr Okunara got you for your birthday?” Yuka's eyes widened and she tapped Kagome on the leg.
 
“Oh yeah, I nearly forgot that he's been buying everybody gifts for their birthdays. I swear he's the best teacher in the world!” Ayumi sighed and clutched her hands to her throat.
 
“And he's so dreamy too…” Eri added. Kagome rolled her eyes and sighed loudly.
 
“He's not dreamy. He's not even a great teacher. I've talked online to people going to other schools, and their workload is immense compared to ours. All the other teacher's at school treat him like he's some kind of god, just because…” Kagome's passionate speech dwindled when she noticed the cold looks the other three girls were throwing her. Hojo shifted uncomfortably. She mentally gathered herself then smiled.
 
“My goodness, what was I thinking?! We should be rejoicing that we don't have to work as hard as all the other kids our age! Plus it's my birthday today - if anything I should be relaxing and enjoying my day!” She leaned back into Hojo and he wrapped his arm more tightly around her. Her three friends smiled. InuYasha groaned inwardly. This is ridiculous…
 
As the bus ground to a halt outside the school, the children rose to file out. InuYasha found himself squashed and stepped on, and eventually manhandled out onto the footpath. Hojo looked down at Kagome, and gave her one last kiss.
 
“Walk you home this afternoon?” He asked, the morning sun glinting through his messy brown hair. Kagome almost said yes, then remembered she couldn't make it.
 
“Oh, Hojo, I can't make it. I have a doctor's appointment today, then I have training this afternoon. I only have a half-day at school today… Will I see you at my party tonight though?” Hojo smiled at the girl and traced her jaw line with one finger.
 
“Of course I'll be there. I wouldn't miss your birthday party for the world! I've got my costume ready too… I'm coming as a samurai!” He hurried off to his class. Kagome sighed and smiled softly as she watched her handsome boyfriend run to his class. Yuka nudged her, then leaned in close to her ear to whisper to her friend.
 
“Aren't you glad you finally listened to us and got together with him?” Kagome blushed and whacked her friend lightly on the arm. Both girls chuckled and then all four of them ran to the class room as the last bell shrilled. They slid into their seats, then peered toward the teacher's desk. Kagome's heart soared - there didn't seem to be any trace of Mr Okunara this morning. Maybe he left…maybe he just got sick of this place and left…he's so strange… why can't anybody else see it, why is it only myself and…Kagome's thought process was interrupted by the door flying open and a heavily laden figure entering the room.
 
“Mr Okunara! Please let me help you with your things!” Two of the boys ran forward and grabbed armfuls of packages and papers from the man as he walked brusquely toward the teacher's desk. He sat down and arranged the desk to his liking, then scanned the room as if searching for something. His violet eyes seemed to slice deep into the soul of every young person in the class room. They rested on the girl with the long black hair, who seemed to be trying desperately to become invisible.
 
“Ms Higurashi? A little bird told me it was your seventeenth birthday today. Is that correct?” Kagome kept her eyes on her desk and nodded. She could feel her heart pounding in her ears. Her palms were becoming sweaty. Mr Okunara stood, then picked up two packages wrapped in paper and started to approach Kagome's desk. The girl's seated at the front of the room turned to watch him stride toward the back, watching the dark braid of his black hair swing against his back. They seemed to let out a collective sigh. InuYasha appeared at the class room door, just in time to see the handsome teacher present Kagome with the two gifts. She stared at them numbly as they lay on the table, teasingly within hands reach. The teacher stood back, and crossed his arms expectantly. Eri kicked Kagome's chair lightly from behind. Kagome seemed to come out of her stupor.
 
“What?” Eri gestured with her head toward Mr Okunara, a meaningful look on her face. Kagome lifted her eyes from the table and stared over Mr Okunara's shoulder.
 
“Thank you for the lovely gifts.” She smiled thinly, but didn't move to unwrap the paper. Yuka sighed from beside her, and grabbed for one of the presents. Kagome caught her hand before she could reach. Yuka gasped, shocked at how fast her friend's reflexes were. Mr Okunara stared down at her darkly.
 
“I would really appreciate it if you opened your gifts now, Ms Higurashi. I believe the class would be interested to see them.” Kagome met Okunara's dark gaze with one of her own. Without breaking that look she reached for the longer, thinner present and slit the paper open with a finger nail. As soon as she laid her hands on the object, her eyes opened wider and he face paled. Her classmates crowded around to see what she had received.
 
“It's my… It's a bow… So this one must be… ” Kagome finally broke with her teacher's gaze and looked down at the second gift, which was easily recognizable now.
 
“A quiver of arrows…” Mr Okunara seemed to see something he liked in her expression. He smirked and walked back toward the front of the class.
 
“That's correct, Ms Higurashi. A bow and a quiver of arrows. There's quite an interesting story behind these items. Apparently they belonged to an exceptionally pure priestess about five hundred years ago, in the warring states era… ”
 
InuYasha approached the desk where Kagome was sitting, just barely touching her fingertips to the two ancient pieces of weaponry. Her eyes were closed.
 
Kagome, control yourself…
 
InuYasha stopped in his tracks, then peered around the room slowly. All eyes were on the highly animated teacher discussing the life and times of the ancient days. He hadn't seen anybody's lips move.
 
You have to get out of here… I think he knows something…
 
That voice was so familiar... Nobody seemed to have noticed it though. Except for Kagome. She's gotten her breathing under control, and she had opened her eyes once more. She quietly bundled the bow and quiver together, and gathered her books and her bag. Ayumi reached over and touched her shoulder lightly.
 
“Where are you going?” Kagome smiled apologetically and tapped her watch.
 
“Doctor's appointment. I might as well get going now, it'll take me a while to get there using public transport. See you at my party, right?” Ayumi smiled back at the girl.
 
“Absolutely. Hope it's nothing too serious at the doctor's!” Kagome smiled reassuringly at her friend. Then she approached the teacher's desk, shuddering inwardly. She felt a slight twinge of nervous pain in her stomach, then a great surge of confidence filled her. She could do this!
 
“Excuse me, Mr Okunara? I have to leave early today; I have a doctor's appointment in the city. I already have permission from the principal. You can check with her though, if you'd like?” She placed her homework assignments on his desk, then headed toward the door to leave. Out of the corner of her eye, Kagome could see him starting to rise from his seat, and follow her to the door. What does he want now? Inuyasha eyed the man off from the doorway.
 
“Ms Higurashi, may I see you outside for a moment before you go? I'd like to discuss this homework assignment quickly.” Kagome bowed her head, then nodded slightly. Almost made it…Ah well… The teacher followed her through the door, then escorted her down the hall. They passed the doorway to an empty class room, where he suddenly grabbed her arm and shoved her roughly inside.
 
“Kagome!” InuYasha yelled, barreling into the room behind them. Kagome had banged her hip hard into a desk as she tried to brace herself, and had barely suppressed a yelp of pain. Mr Okunara advanced on her, thrusting her up against the blackboard. He held her head up against the board, one hand beneath her chin, shrewdly surveying her face. He seemed to be muttering to himself. InuYasha stood behind the crazed man, ineffectually trying to punch him and pull him away.
 
“Get away from her, you maniac!” He screamed, his hands hitting nothing but air. Kagome was only just managing to suck air into her lungs, his grip was so tight around her throat. Though she could barely breathe, she had a quite calm look in her eyes.
 
“What… what… do you… want… from me… I'm just… a… kid…” Mr Okunara seemed to gather himself, then he started chuckling.
 
“Oh, Higurashi, you're so much more than that. I don't know how everybody else missed it, it's so obvious…” He reached inside her shirt, and found the chain of the rose quartz necklace Hojo had given her that morning.
 
“Even your taste in trinkets is the same… though this is quite obviously not as beautiful as the real Shikon no Tama… So where is it?!” Okunara muttered some more words to himself, and Kagome found that even after he'd let go of her throat she couldn't move. He started picking through her school bag, throwing books in every direction, emptying all of her personal effects onto the floor. Not happy with his results, he turned to her. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her, yelling into her face.
 
“Where is the Shikon Jewel?!” Kagome's calm face cracked and her eyes filled with tears.
 
“I don't know what you're talking about! You're a crazy man, leave me alone! You're HURTING ME! STOP IT NOW!” There was a sudden zapping sound, and Okunara jumped back with a howl, his hands burned just from holding the girl. The two adversaries eyed each other for a moment, then heard a sound from the open door.
 
“Higurashi, are you all right? Is that you, Mr Okunara?” Okunara straightened his jacket and smoothed his hair over, walking over to the student standing at the door.
 
“She's fine - just received some sad news from home.” Kagome picked up her scattered belongings, limped toward the door and grabbed the girl's arm. Mr Okunara seemed to be finding it very hard to control himself. He almost seemed to growl as the two girls left the room. The girl looked into Kagome's eyes worriedly.
 
“Are you sure you're ok, Higurashi? He seemed to be holding you and speaking to you quite roughly.” Kagome smiled bravely and patted the girl's arm.
 
“I'm ok, Mayume. I just need to clean myself up a little. Can you help me to the bathroom?” Kagome leaned on the shorter girl's arm as she steered her towards the bathroom door. She gave her a slight smile and a small wave before she headed inside.
 
“See you at your party tonight, Kagome!” Mayume called cheerily as she left her at the door. InuYasha looked at the small picture of a girl in a dress on the doorway, shrugged, then followed Kagome inside. Kagome checked under each cubicle door for feet, then leaned heavily on the sink, closing her eyes and sucking in breath after shuddering breath.
 
“Kagome…” InuYasha said softly, reaching out to stroke her hair. Of course, he couldn't actually touch it, but the thought was there. He looked in the mirror, and gasped. He didn't even have a reflection in this world. He knew what he looked like right at that moment though... A normal, sad-eyed, long haired boy, hating himself for putting Kagome through this… hell. But what was that dark smudge in the far corner of the bathroom, materializing near the garbage can in the corner. A very familiar figure… InuYasha gasped again.
 
Is it safe for me to appear, sister? I cannot sense any other humans about…
 
Kagome turned to face to slightly transparent girl, dressed in the red and white clothes of the ancient priestesses. Once, she had appeared so much older, but now the girls were almost identical. Kagome looked into her companion's eyes and saw worry and anger lurking in their depths. She smiled at her softly, then sank to the floor, finally giving in to the shock of being attacked and escaping.
 
“Sister Kikyo… I'm so glad to see you.” She clutched her bag in her lap and sobbed. Kikyo looked on, silently concerned. InuYasha gaped at both of them.
 
“Kikyo's here? What is going on? This world is… INSANE!”
 
 
Ok. So that's the end of Mad World 1 - as far as I can tell there's going to be three Mad World parts, and some interludes, and then another big chunk, and then I should be done. In theory anyway.
 
Sorry about the cliff-hanger there, but it had to done
 
Once again, please review - your views are important to me!
 
And thank you to my previous reviewers!
 
inugurl112
InuBaby369246
jmm13
HopelesslyEscaflowne
 
Thanks guys
 
I'll try and update as soon as possible - promise!!