InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Interlude 3 - Disenfranchised ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Choices – by Foxfire79

Disclaimer: I don’t own InuYasha and co. I wish I did. People who’ve been reading this for a while know my many and varied reasons, so I’m just going to sit back with my chocolate milk and burger rings and get on with the chapter. Rock and Roll!

Any other copyrighted stuff usually isn’t mine either – You’ll know them when you see them.

Interlude 3 – Disenfranchised

(Previously)
Kikyo screamed in agony as his fingers gouged inside her wound. Naraku’s eyes narrowed, and he looked into the Priestess’s eyes.

“Where is it? Where have you hidden it? So help me, I will tear this body of yours apart to find my prize! Where is the Shikon no Tama?!” Kikyo, paling from the pain and blood loss, looked at the villain in surprise.

“What do you mean? The jewel has always been there… right there…” She passed out, hanging limply from the tree. Kagome looked down at her immaterial body, and was surprised to see a glow emanating from inside her. She smiled slightly to herself, despite the violence and horrors going on around her.

I guess the jewel could sense the evil intentions in her heart, and chose to stay with me – that’s probably why that boy could touch me…

Kagome looked up once more at the Spirit Tree, and gasped. Around the other side, she could see dark material flapping in the breeze. She ran around and looked up, her heart leaping into her mouth. A boy, dressed up in a samurai costume, hung limply from the tree, a branch puncturing his chest. His light brown hair fell over his forehead, and his eyes were closed in an eternal sleep.

Hojo! No! Not you too! There’s nobody left…

Kagome sank to her knees, all hope leaving her heart. There would be no-one but her to come and save the day. She couldn’t even be sure that Kikyo was on her side any more. The only one that seemed to be was the boy from the past… and he couldn’t even hold a weapon in his form.

I’m the only one… I’m the only one…I’m the only one…

The words echoed through her head as she surveyed her hopeless position. Kikyo remained unconscious, pinned to the tree. Naraku went back to his probing. Kanna tended to Kagura’s shoulder. The zombies remained inside the house, as Kagura had ended the dance of the dead. They all lay lifeless once more.

And InuYasha pondered whether he should take back the wish or not.

The new moon shone on overhead, oblivious to all of this.

********************

Kagome stared up at the dead boy in the tree, her knees too weak to stand. Hojo, like her Grandfather, Mother and Sota, seemed to have missed out on being affected by the miasma. His face looked peaceful. He could have been sleeping, but for the branch protruding from his chest. Her hands fisted in the dirt beneath the tree, and her feeling of helplessness began to turn to a feeling of anger.

How could three people cause all of this carnage? How could three people destroy so many lives just for the sake of one tiny little object?

Kagome's mind reeled, going over the events of the day. When she had awoken early to finish her homework, she'd had no idea her day would turn out this way.

Then again, my birthday's have been strange for the past two years... I should have had an inkling that this one wouldn't be an exception...

Her thoughts were abruptly brought back to the task at hand as she heard Kikyo moan in agony. Naraku was still poking around inside the wound his sword had made in her side, searching for the Shikon Jewel. Kagome narrowed her eyes, still trying to figure out a way to get back inside her body.

Maybe I should just ask her to leave? She doesn't seem to be enjoying the pain much - maybe she'll just give it back to me?

Kagome approached the skewered girl, her eyes never leaving her face. My face, actually, Kagome thought wryly. Just think... I'm heading back into a body that's pinned to a tree, with a madman fumbling around in my guts looking for a magic jewel. Happy birthday, Kagome!

Kikyo's eyes were narrowed in pain, but she could still see well enough to know that Kagome's spirit was approaching.

"What... what do you want?" Kikyo whispered so softly that Naraku couldn't hear her. Kagome drifted closer to the girl, raising herself into the air so they were eye to eye.

I believe you have something of mine...

Kikyo winced, then glared back into Kagome's eyes.

"I believe you have something of mine. The jewel, where is it?" Kagome smiled, the jewel glowing inside of her.

It's right where it should be - with it's rightful protector. The jewel knew better than to stay with someone like you, someone greedy enough to steal the body of someone who trusted them completely. You don't deserve to look after something as pure as the Shikon Jewel.

Kikyo narrowed her eyes, and bellowed at the spirit girl.

"If that's all you have to say to me, then leave me in peace you foul spirit! I would rather die that give you this body back!" She started struggling again, in earnest, trying to remove the sword from her body and Naraku's fingers from her insides. Naraku looked puzzled at the renewed vigour, and at the strange outburst.

"What's this...? Lady Kikyo, in your last few moments are you communicating with the spirit world? Are you trying to redeem yourself in the eyes of your gods, for past and present sins?" Naraku grinned as Kikyo continued to bat at his hands, while whimpering and groaning in pain. Kagome's spirit clung to the tree between Hojo and Kikyo, still trying to figure out how to get Kikyo out of her body. She cast one more glance at Hojo, and inspiration hit.

Hojo... Hojo's message...What did he say...?

"...Just, um – call me later, ok? And I’ll see you at your party. I, uh…I Love you..."

"I, uh... I Love you..."

Then the voice of the other boy, the dark haired stranger, entered her thoughts...

"I knew her back in my time, when she was a priestess. She and I were… associates. She was the keeper of the jewel back then. I kind of helped her out sometimes…"

Kagome smiled to herself.

Her lover... I know the truth. Maybe if I tell her what truly happened between them, she'll get over this bitterness and finally move on. And if that doesn't work...

Kagome leaned over and kissed Hojo's cold forehead.

...there's always plan B...

********************

Kikyo struggled in vain, but the sword was well and truly stuck in the tree behind her. She glanced at the spirit girl clinging beside her.

"Why are you still here? I'm not giving you this body back! It's mine now! It shall be my resting place in death, not like the ashes that my fool sister refused to scatter! Why don't you just move on?! Leave me to die in peace!" Kagome's spirit smiled, and gently brushed Kikyo's hair out of her eyes.

I don't want to leave you alone to die. It would be so miserable for you. Besides, I have to tell you something important. Something that may change your mind about just letting that body die and your spirit be free.

Kikyo glanced at the girl, then went back to her struggling.

"Well then - why don't you tell me while I continue to struggle. I don't want to completely waste the last few minutes of my life."

Kagome continued clinging to the tree, but nodded.

After you threw me out of my body... I met a boy... He said he knew you back in the feudal era... He said... he was your lover. And that you were both betrayed by Naraku back then...

Kikyo's eyes widened, and her lips drew back in an angry grimace.

"He's a liar!" Kikyo continued screaming the word 'liar' over and over again, throwing herself against the hilt of the sword, ever trying to work it backwards out of the tree. Kagome closed her eyes, clinging frantically to the tree as Kikyo thrashed and screamed. After about a minute, Kikyo seemed to calm herself. She chuckled, then relaxed against the blade. Kagome's quiet voice continued, while Naraku saw to Kagura's wounded arm.

The boy said, on the day you were to set out and meet him with the jewel, Naraku disguised himself as your lover and attacked you, mortally wounding you... He then stole the jewel and returned it to the shrine. Your lover went out to meet you as you'd arranged, and this time Naraku disguised himself as you, attacking your lover and making him mad enough to try and steal the jewel for himself. He took the jewel from the shrine, and that was when you shot him... and attached him to this very tree...

Kikyo continued chuckling, wincing and whimpering as the contracting muscles in her stomach pulsed against the sword. She wiped a mirthless tear from her eye, and craned her head to look at the girl.

"Who in the world made up that foolish story?! It's almost incomprehensible! It's ridiculous!" Naraku's ears perked up as he heard the priestess laughing. He pretended to look Kanna over for wounds, but kept one ear on the woman pinned to the tree. Kagome lowered her eyes, and blushed.

He didn't tell me his name... all he said was that he was a friend from the past... and I believed him...

Kikyo continued chuckling to herself.

"Of course you believed him! You're nothing but a foolish child! What did he look like?" Kagome opened her eyes, staring off into the distance. She could see the boy sitting off in the distance, his expression pensive as he watched her.

He was very handsome... and wearing strange, old fashioned clothes... he said he came here through the bone-eaters well...

Kikyo exhaled loudly, then winced once more.

"That's not what I meant! Did you notice anything strange about him? Was there anything strange on his head? Was his hair silver? Did he have fangs and claws?" Kagome's eyes widened.

No... nothing of the sort... why?

Kikyo closed her eyes and smiled.

"That boy that you were talking to couldn't possibly have been my lover." Kagome continued staring at the girl inhabiting her body.

What sort of man... has fangs and claws... Unless...

Kikyo opened her eyes, smirking at the spirit girl.

"My lover was a half-demon, a han-you as we used to call them. The same as Naraku, over there." Kagome's mind seemed to lock on this fact.

Kikyo was in love with a demon... She was in love with a demon... my god...

Kagome glared over at the boy sitting on the ground, staring at her.

Hey you! You didn't say anything about being a half-demon! Did it just happen to slip your mind? Get over here and explain yourself!

The boy stood up slowly and came forward. He kept his eyes on the ground as he approached, a slight blush staining his cheeks.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think it would make any difference if I told you or not." Kagome fumed down at the boy before her.

Well it does! Every demon I've ever had dealings with has turned out to be bad. Why should you be any different?

The boy looked up at her with dark eyes. She sounds so... betrayed. Does she think I've fooled her, just because I didn't reveal that one thing about myself... Then again I should have known better... InuYasha hung his head in shame. I really am an idiot...

"What could I possibly say? I can see you've already made up your mind." InuYasha began to turn away, then stopped as inspiration hit him.

"I couldn't possibly say anything... but what if you heard it straight from the betrayers mouth!" Kagome's eyes widened as she took in InuYasha's meaning.

Kikyo... ask Naraku! Ask Naraku to tell you what happened back then! You're going to die! Don't you think it would be better to know the full story then to pass over filled with anger and regrets? For your own sake, ask him!

Kagome stared into Kikyo's eyes, her expression resolved.

I don't care if I can't get back into my body. What matters now is you! You're the one that's alive! You're the one that was winning the battle! I trained that body to be the best fighting tool we could possibly need, and I'm glad that you're making good use of it, but all that matters now is that you get free and finish him off! You can't let him win! You can't let this sacrifice be for nothing!

Kikyo blinked, seemingly coming to her senses.

"Sacrifice...? What...?" Kikyo looked down at the sword and the bloodstained tree, and the pulsing wound in her belly.

"Kagome...? What have I...?" Kikyo's eyes filled with tears of pain and regret.

"What did I do to you? How could I have been so..." Her eyes travelled from Kagome's face to the glowing point in her side.

"The jewel... All I ever wanted to do was protect the jewel... Keep it for my own... Keep it safe... All I ever wanted was resting in the power of that jewel... Then we lost it all..."

The jewel calls out to you the same way that it calls out to Naraku, and all the others who wish to possess it and use it's power. I think all the negative energy must have had an effect on you too. It's all right now though, I think...

Kagome's spirit smiled and gently brushed a strand of hair out of Kikyo's eyes.

I sense that you're coming back to yourself again. I was scared there for a moment...

Kikyo breathed deeply, a tear escaping and running down her face.

"You really are truly worried for me, aren't you, sister Kagome?" Kagome smiled softly at the familiar nickname..

How could I not be... If not for you being here, I never would have had my eyes opened to this world. All the beauty, all the pain... the hate and the love... the hardships and tragedies... and the small, joyful moments. You introduced me to the real world, Kikyo. I know you're angry now, I know you want revenge, but you need to make your peace before you'll be able to succeed! Your anger was what got you trapped against this tree. Your rage blinded you and Naraku took advantage of that! You need to calm yourself, then catch him off guard and finish the job!

"What about you? What about you, Kagome? I have wronged you badly, and there's no way I can take it back. I feel so foolish..." Kikyo hung her head.

It's all right. I'll be fine. Now just concentrate on the task at hand!

Kikyo raised her head once more, her eyes focussed on the prize. She knew what she was going to do.

"Naraku! Have you finished tending to your minions? I fear that I am dying and I am compelled to speak to you. Please grant your dying enemy this wish." Naraku turned from Kagura, and walked slowly towards the tree.

"And what would you like to discuss, Miko? Politics? Culture? American films and Tv are a specialty of mine now. I've become quite a fan of this day and age. There's so much greed in this world. So much untapped power... Every new day brings with it so many surprises... I think... " He stepped forward and cupped her chin in his palm.

"I think... I feel compelled to stay here. And make this world mine. It suits me nicely."

Kikyo jerked her head away and winced. Naraku narrowed his eyes, bringing her up to face him again.

"But enough about me... You said you wanted to talk." Her eyes locked on his, and she grasped his sleeve in one hand.

"Tell me... tell me how all this began, between you and I..." Naraku sighed deeply.

"You are boring and predictable, but seeing as it is your dying wish I shall indulge you." Kikyo closed her eyes as he began to speak.

"I heard the story of the shikon jewel from a colleague of mine, another thief. We, as a band, decided that we would steal the jewel. I went to scout out ahead, and that was when I saw you. I thought you were quite beautiful, and decided then that not only would we steal the jewel, but I would also take you away and make you my own." Kikyo opened her eyes and glared at him.

"You fiend! I was a priestess! Did you even stop to think..." Naraku started chuckling, and Kikyo fell silent.

"I knew all about the vows of priestesses... I also knew that you were already beginning to stray from those vows because I had seen you with another. And a half demon, no less. That ridiculous InuYasha!" Kagome's eyes widened as she heard the boy's name for the first time.

Inu... Yasha? So his demon half must have been a dog... Strange though, he didn't look anything like a dog - he just looked like a boy...

"Don't you dare speak his name in that tone! Even though he was a half-demon and a liar, he was still twice the man you'll ever be!" Kikyo yelled into Naraku's face, but he didn't flinch. He merely smiled at her, condescendingly.

"Ridiculous child - you were perfect for each other. You were so in love with each other, I still don't understand why it was so easy..." Kagome narrowed her eyes. Here it comes...

Kikyo winced once more and looked into Naraku's eyes.

"What was so easy? What did you do?" Naraku threw his head back and laughed.

"What did I do? All I did was set the wheels in motion! I brought about your demise! I disguised myself as that fool Inuyasha and stole the jewel from you! Then I disguised myself as you and attacked InuYasha! That tenuous love-bond of yours broke in an instant!"

"Shut up, you bastard!" Kagome gasped as the dark haired boy broke into Naraku's monologue. His hands were fisted at his sides and his eyes were blazing with fury.

"You have no right to talk to her like that! Our time together might be over, but that still gives you no right to belittle the feelings we had for each other!" Neither Naraku nor Kikyo heard his cry, but a tear escaped from Kagome's eye.

InuYasha...

"My Lord..." A small voice whispered from below. Kanna had crept up to the tree while everyone had been occupied and was standing below Naraku.

"My Lord... the spare is still here. I can feel her soul, and it is very near..." InuYasha looked over at Kagome's spirit form, still clinging to the tree, and he realized what was going to happen.

"Kagome - you have to get away! Kanna's going to try and suck you into her mirror! You have to run away!" Kagome stared down at the boy.

I can't just run away... Not when it's so close to the end... besides, you heard her - she doesn't know where I am, she only knows I'm close by. There's still time...

InuYasha's eyes travelled between the two main women in his life, the love of his past and his future... what? Companion? Friend? Partner? His head was suddenly filled with confusion. This Kagome isn't even my Kagome... My Kagome is a fifteen year old girl in the feudal era. She's in an enchanted sleep - this girl here might not even exist, except for that wish I made. That's why I feel... I feel so...

"I'm responsible. I'm responsible for all of this... but I can't fight for you, and I can't tell you what to do. In this world you don't need me. You've become the warrior that was needed. All I am is... a distraction... a spare... You're strong, and independant. I'm useless here..."

"Everything she said... everything she said he told her... it was true..." Kikyo's voice broke into InuYasha's speech. She sounded dazed, but her eyes showed that she was mulling all of this new information over in her head. her eyes filled with tears and her head fell forward. Her chest started heaving with silent sobs. Naraku grabbed her by the shoulders and thrust her head back against the tree. He leaned forward and licked the tears from her face.

"Tasty... Nothing like bitter tears just before death. And isn't it ironic, my dear Miko, that I should pin you to this very tree, next to your dead lover. Now you'll be together forever!" Kikyo stared into his eyes, resolute even in her pain.

"If you are referring to that boy whom you killed earlier, he is nothing to me. He was Kagome's love, not mine." Naraku chuckled, staring straight back into her eyes.

"Come now, you couldn't even sense him at all... You've neglected that girl's spiritual training, haven't you? You made her this wonderful body, but you didn't train her mind at all. Pathetic. Very well then, I'll have to reveal him to you!" Kagome's eyes widened as she looked down at InuYasha in panic.

Oh no! Get away InuYasha, quickly!

Instead of looking to the ground, though, Naraku clawed one of his hands and started pulling chunks of bark from the trunk of the tree at Kikyo's left. She looked at these actions, puzzled, until she noticed a small swatch of red material fall to the ground from his efforts. She craned her head to the side for a better view, then gasped.

"Inu... INUYASHA!" Kagome, clinging between Hojo's body and Kikyo, couldn't see what was going on. Suddenly she lost her hand hold on the tree as it began to shake. The boy on the ground, the one named InuYasha, was staring up at the tree in amazement. Kagome slipped, sliding to the ground, and the boy sprung into action, deftly catching her before she hit the ground.

"I'm never going to be accused of dropping you again." He placed her on her feet, then stood back.

"I realize now, this is your fight. And I think you're going to win it. So all I can say right now..." He stepped closer to her, and cupped her cheek in one hand.

"All I can say... " He leaned in closer, breathing in a ghostly scent of flowers. Kagome's eyes started to slide closed, as his other hand slid around behind her and pulled her body close to his.

"...Is good luck..." He pressed his lips just as firmly against hers as she had done earlier, relishing the feel of her ice cold mouth against his own warm one. When he released her, she sighed, then opened her eyes, confused.

Was that... a goodbye kiss?

The dark haired boy smiled slightly.

"Not goodbye - just good luck. This is your fight, but I'll try to help in any way I can. Just one thing... " His gaze seemed to penetrate deep into her soul. Kagome felt she would drown in that look. Oh my... She blinked her eyes and gazed back into his.

Anything...

"Just... don't die." InuYasha smiled at her gently, brushing a strand of immaterial hair from her brow. Kagome looked down and blushed.

I'm glad... I'm glad you can touch me in this form. I promise I will not fail in this battle. And...

The ghostly girl pulled away from his embrace and turned back towards the tree.

I'll do my best not to die!

Kagome stopped in her tracks as she gazed back up at the trunk of the tree. She could see Hojo's body hanging limply on the right hand side of Kikyo, but now she could also see what had grabbed Kikyo's attention. Another body, this one clad in the red, old fashioned clothes of the feudal era. A boy, with long silver hair, seemingly attached to the tree by a thin branch penetrating his shoulder. Kagome scrambled back up the tree, this time between Kikyo and the newly uncovered boy. His eyes were also closed, but his mouth hung open slightly. His eyelids twitched as he dreamed.

He... dreams...? He's alive!

Kagome studied his face. Even with the silver hair... but wait... What on earth... She looked at the top of his head in surprise, then smiled quietly to herself, before reaching forward to touch one of them. Dog ears! Awww, they're so cute! She rubbed the white ear softly, and the boy mumbled something in his sleep before smiling slightly and sinking into a deeper slumber. So soft... She snapped out of it, and looked back down at the dark haired boy on the ground. Then she looked back at the silver haired boy in front of her.

He really is you, isn't he? I mean, you from the past, right? In your half-demon form?

"Yeah, that's me all right. Does it scare you? The fact that I look like that most of the time?" Inuyasha gazed up at the girl, and she looked back down at him.

Don't be silly... you're still you, no matter what you look like. The question is... am I supposed to rescue you or not?

Naraku slapped Kikyo across the face, interrupting Kagome and InuYasha's moment. They both looked towards him.

"Your bellowing is starting to annoy me, Miko! " He clamped both of his hands around Kikyo's throat and started to squeeze what little life remained out of her. Kikyo's eyes bulged and she reached out for Kagome's hand.

"Kag...ome... it's now... or never..." Kikyo grabbed Kagome's hand and pulled her closer. The other hand she thrust into the spirit girl's side, grasping the jewel and pulling it free. Kagome gasped, but oddly enough she didn't feel any pain, just the sensation of losing something... precious to her.

Oh...

"What do you think you're doing, Lady Kikyo? Trying to call forth the spirit of the girl you purged from this body? I doubt that she'll answer you, after all you're the one who betrayed her. It's time to say goodbye!" Kikyo looked deeply into Kagome's eyes and tried to smile, even though she was moments from death.

"Good... bye... sister..." With that, Kikyo's spirit left Kagome's body. Willingly. The body slumped against the tree trunk, motionless. Kagome stared in shock, then plunged both of her hands into the empty body's chest, squeezing the heart. She felt the strong pulse beat through her, but still she remained on the outside.

"She's here!" Kanna called out, aiming the mirror at the tree. Kagome felt a strange sucking sensation and felt her grip starting to slip from her body.

No! Not when I'm this close!

She glanced to her side, and saw a familiar figure in the red and white dress of a priestess drifting toward Kanna's mirror. The figure waved goodbye. Then disappeared into the mirror.

"Kikyo!"
Kikyo!

InuYasha and Kagome yelled it out in unison. The Priestess was gone. Kagome squeezed the silent heart in her cooling body one more time, and this time felt a warm tingling through her entire being. Then, that same pulling sensation that Kanna's mirror had brought about, but this time she was being sucked back into her body. Then darkness.

"Kagome...? Can you still hear me?" InuYasha's voice broke into the darkness, rousing her.

"Inu...Yasha?" She whispered it so softly Naraku couldn't hear. He'd moved away thinking his work was finished. He was gloating.

"You made it... You made it back in..." InuYasha dropped to the ground, gazing up at the girl.

"You'd better believe it, dog-boy... And that's not all..." She cracked an eyelid open, and opened her right hand. Nestled in her palm lay the Shikon no Tama. InuYasha gasped. It feels like months... years almost... since I last saw the jewel in one piece. It really is something... The jewel shimmered and glowed in her hand. It had been completely purified.

"My Lord, I sense the jewel again. Much stronger than before. I suggest you check the body one more time." Kagura sounded bored, and her injured arm was giving her a lot of grief. Let him poke around in the corpse for a while. It's not like she's going to fight back now anyway...

Naraku turned back to the body hanging limply from the tree, flanked by the the dead boy on one side and the sleeper on the other. Kanna tugged at the sleeve of his robe.

"My Lord, I trapped the soul of the spare. She is with the others inside my mirror now." Naraku smiled at her, indulgently, as a father smiles at his favourite child.

"A job well done, dear Kanna. Have you enjoyed yourself tonight?" Kanna gave Naraku a small, tight lipped smile.

"Any time spent in your company pleases me, my lord. That was the way you made me." Naraku patted her on the head and continued on toward the tree.

"Ah, Kikyo... The poor, tragic priestess Kikyo. The fun that I could have had with you..." He reached forward to delve his hand once more into her wounded side, but something stopped him. He looked the body over. Nothing appeared to be out of place. She didn't appear to have revived. Then what had stopped him...

"The wound... The wound appears to have shrunk... No matter though, I shall just make it bigger again..." He reached his fingers toward the diminished slash in her side, when a cold hand wrapped around his wrist. It was the left hand of the dead priestess, stopping him from proceeding.

"What...? That's not possible..." He looked up at the girl's face. Her hair was hanging in front of her eyes, but her mouth was widening in a smile.

"It's very possible, actually." The girl raised her head and glared defiantly into his eyes. Naraku's eyes narrowed and he tried to pull back, but Kagome's grip was almost inhuman.

"Not you! I didn't want to fight you! You're worthless! You're nothing! You're nothing but a shadow of the great priestess Kikyo!" Kagome shook her head slowly, mocking him.

"Now, now... Is that any way to address a former student? You could really damage my self esteem!" Naraku grinned evilly.

"Well then, you'll have some great stories to tell your psychiatrist when you grow up... oh wait, I already killed her!" He succeeded in pulling away when Kagome flinched at this remark. She continued to stare at him defiantly.

"If I'm nothing but a shadow, why are you backing away from me?" She feigned a wince as she twitched against the sword. The truth was, the jewel was keeping her from feeling any pain whatsoever. Naraku chuckled, and twanged the sword so that it rocked from side to side in her body.

"You know, this is the very sword that your little boyfriend Hojo brought with him. Just think about that - the very object that causes you pain was provided by the one you love!" Kagome continued to smile.

"Stop smiling! What's so funny?" Naraku felt extremely unsettled. First the girl was dead, then she'd come back as the other. It was definitely not a joke.

"If this is a costume sword... what's to stop me from just pulling it out and coming after you?" Kagome placed her right hand on the hilt of the sword, and covered it with her left hand. She wrenched it forward with all of her might. A flash came from her right hand, and the sword pulled free from the tree. Kagome gasped as the metal slid from her body, and she slipped down the trunk to land on her feet at the base of the tree. Naraku's eyes widened and he backed away even further.

"What magic is this? How can a useless re-incarnation like you do what the original couldn't?" Kagome hefted the sword easily in her right hand, her left now closed around something unseen in her hand. She advanced on the confused half-demon lord, noting out of the corner of her eye that InuYasha was watching closely from the sidelines. I think I can afford to be a little sassy... for some reason, I really want to show off in front of him...

"Do you really want to know?" She clutched the jewel in her hand and ran it over the wound in her side, healing it in front of Naraku's eyes. His eyes closed in on her fist, the gaze growing greedy.

"You have it, don't you? The priestess thought she had it, but you kept it with you!" Kagome gazed at him, innocently.

"Oh, you mean this?" She opened her hand and flashed the jewel at him, then quickly closed her fist again, shoving it into her pocket.

"It's MINE!" Naraku bellowed, rushing at the girl, weaponless but frenzied. Kagura and Kanna stared on in disbelief behind him.

"My Lord!" They both called out in warning.

"School's in..." Kagome said softly to herself, readying to defend herself. The final battle was about to begin.

********************

That's Interlude 3 out of the way! I'm so sorry I took so long - I made up a list of reasons so people wouldn't get mad at me, so here goes:
* March 13th was my birthday - that weekend I was spirited away to the beach and I've been in an 'I wish I was still at the beach' funk since then
* I got a siamese fighting fish for my birthday (his name's Kyo - named from Fruits Basket) and I am constantly hypnotised by his rythmic swimming
* I got really distracted by a blue car that drove past...
* I got the Fruits Basket anime series and manga for my birthday, along with Chrno Crusade and Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid - So I've had a lot of tv watching to do
* Did I mention the blue car already...?
* Oh, and writer's block - I ended up writing this thing three times before I got it to this point, and I'm still not completely happy! Bah!

Any-who, I hope you guys enjoyed it - sorry again for the long wait, but I've got holidays in two weeks so I should be able to catch up then!

Thanks to all who reviewed last time:
foxfire79 - Oh, wait, that's me! Ah, I remember now... lol
animecrazedgirl - times 3 - I am so sorry! I should have posted an a/n to let everyone know what was happening! Sorry again!
inuyashalover1221 - I love Cruise Shikon, it's so cool!
osuwariboy - Hey, a new face! Glad you're enjoying the story!
Hanajima - Thanks again - I'm glad you thought the zombies were ok, I've kinda warmed up to them myself now, lol

Thanks for reading everyone! Please remember to review - If you read a story and don't review it, fairies die! It's true! Gah! Start reviewing everybody, the fairies are dying! *Disclaimer - I don't own Peter Pan or any other blah blah blah disney whatever...*

Foxfire out!
catherinehgreen@gmail.com