InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Part 6 - Heroes and Villains ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Choices - by Foxfire79
 
Disclaimer: Yeah, yeah, you should all know this by now… I don't own InuYasha and co. etc et al. If I did own them, you wouldn't have to read one of these every time I updated. I mean, do you really think Rumiko Takahashi would make her poor characters go through what I've been writing for them? I doubt it. I also don't own any other copyrighted material I may or may not use in this chapter. So there.
 
Other stuff I don't own:
A flying car
Robbie Williams
A snow cone maker
 
That's about it. On with the show!
 
 
Part 6 - Heroes and Villains
 
Kagome's future - 7.15pm
 
Kagome pulled in around the next corner and stopped the scooter, dismounting quickly and running in to the corner store. She ran up to the counter to the extremely surprised looking store clerk.
 
“Excuse me? Where are the sugar and coffee grounds kept?” He pointed down the third aisle and Kagome dashed down there, grabbed what she needed and ran back to the counter. The clerk eyed her off as she paid.
 
“So… what's with the costume?” Kagome looked down at herself and almost laughed. She'd nearly forgotten about the priestess costume she was wearing. She smiled at the clerk and answered.
 
“Costume party. It's my birthday. Thank you!” She ran back out of the store and leapt onto the scooter, tearing off down the street at full speed. The clerk grinned to himself and ran a hand through his hair.
 
“I wonder if all feudal priestesses were that hot?”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
The Feudal Era
 
InuYasha lay on his back, surveying the heavens. He rolled slightly, shooting a look at Kareru beside him.
 
“So… Who exactly are these wish granters anyway? Do they have a proper title?” Kareru shrugged, her shoulder lifting slightly.
 
“I don't know… They just said I had to do this before I went to see my mother. They were all very beautiful though… and they were all dressed in white. I… I felt happy, and safe among them, so I think they were… nice.” Kareru smiled and closed her eyes. InuYasha frowned slightly and scratched his forehead.
 
“All dressed in white… Maybe they were angels?” He scrunched up his nose, and snorted.
 
“Nah! That's ridiculous!” He started thinking back over his friends in the feudal era, and how their choices had led to most of them ending up in dire situations. He snorted to himself again.
 
“Heh. It's not just me that needs to think things through more. All of them made decisions without thinking them through. Or even if they did think them through, they must have thought that they'd picked the best decision. Damn it! All this thinking is making my head hurt!” InuYasha sat up, clutching his dark head. He thought back to Sango, so desperate and injured she had taken her own life to be with her family.
 
“Poor Sango… She'd tried so hard to avenge her brother, but the only reason she couldn't succeed was because Naraku had fled this time and gone into the future. I wonder how he managed to get there… No one else could pass through the well when we were doing it… I wonder what changed?” InuYasha remembered how extensive Sango's injuries had been and balled his hands into angry fists.
 
“Damn that Kagura! She's just as bad as Naraku!” He started pacing angrily, berating the nature of Naraku and his hench-folk. Kareru sighed and lay back down. I can't believe he's still going on about this…
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kagome's future - 7.25pm
 
Kagome rode the scooter at breakneck speed toward her home, her hair flying out behind her.
 
“Please let everyone be ok, please let everyone be ok, please…?” This was her mantra as she rode. The bow and arrows beat against her back as the wind whipped across them, and the necklace that Hojo had given her felt cool against her skin as the air ran over it. She had a slight pain in her side as the jewel registered that she was readying for battle. She imagined it would be suffusing her with power before she finally met up with Okunara, and fought him, and destroyed him… Okunara… The bad teacher who turned out to be a demon. At least everyone will have to believe me now…They'll know I wasn't crazy, talking about demons and jewels and priestesses all this time. They'll know it was real.
 
“Okunara… That's not even your real name… Mayume found out, and she left it to me as her last gift. A fitting birthday present for me. When I face you, I'm going to call you out by your real name…” Kagome's hair whipped across her face in the wind, but she hardly noticed. Her eyes were on the prize.
 
“Naraku!”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Feudal Era
 
InuYasha calmed down after about ten minutes of berating Naraku, Kagura and Kanna. He sat back on the ground beneath the tree. Sighing deeply, he looked over at Kareru.
 
“I want to take it back. How do I do that?” Kareru looked at him, surprised.
 
“Are you completely certain? I thought you might want to see what happens next over there?” InuYasha raised an eyebrow, interest piquing.
 
“Do you know what happens next?” Kareru nodded sagely, eyes closed, listening to the land and the wind.
 
“A battle rages between good and evil… Allies are torn apart by a great betrayal… There are many casualties…” Kareru's eyes flew open, and she gasped, grabbing InuYasha's arm.
 
“He's there!” Inuyasha winced at the tightness of her grip, then focused on her words.
 
“Who's there? Is it Naraku?” Kareru's eyes remained wide and empty, but she nodded in reply.
 
“All three of them are… Naraku, Kagura and Kanna…” InuYasha shook free of her grip, tearing off toward the Bone Eater's well.
 
“I'm going to help her! Wait for me here!” Kareru sighed, sitting back on the ground by herself.
 
“What exactly are you going to do over there, InuYasha. It's not like you can touch anything, or anybody. I can see that the `think things through' advice is really sinking in well. Ah well…” Kareru smiled as Kilala wandered over, and climbed into her lap, purring gently.
 
“At least I get to rest here a little longer…”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kagome's future - 7.40pm
 
“Please… please don't come any closer… I… I don't want to hurt you…” Her voice died away in a whisper as the body that used to be her mother grabbed her ankle with one hand, and straightened its head with the other. It looked directly into her eyes, then bared its teeth in a hideous death grin.
 
“Welcome home dear. You were a little late, so the party started without you. Did you remember…?” The body crawled closer to Kagome's head, and she could smell her mother's familiar perfume, mixed with blood and the miasma stench. She closed her eyes.
 
“Did you remember to fetch the coffee and sugar as I asked you?” Kagome shrunk back as far as she could, then she screamed. She screamed loud and long, screams that penetrated the entire house. Kikyo sprang forward, facing the girl on the floor.
 
Kagome, come to your senses! Kagome!
 
Kagome kept her eyes shut, and continued to scream, batting the corpse-mothers hands away from her feet and legs. Kikyo narrowed her eyes at the crazed girl.
 
I had hoped… that it would not come to this. But you leave me no choice!
 
Kikyo plunged her hands inside Kagome's chest, and found her heart. She squeezed it tightly. Kagome's last scream turned into a wail of pain as she swooned unconscious against the wall. Kikyo smiled, then dissolved, her spirit becoming one with Kagome's body once more. Another spirit materialized, almost identical to Kikyo's, except her hair was wavier. The girl on the floor opened her eyes, kicking the dead mother away from her. The body slid across the room, hitting the opposite wall again. The girl looked at the spirit standing beside her, and smirked.
 
“See, Kagome. I told you it was just another reanimated corpse.” The spirit girl looked on in disbelief as Kikyo, using her own body, stood and opened the kitchen door, heading outside.
 
Kikyo… What did you do to me?
 
Kikyo turned in the doorway, looking sadly at the now disembodied girl.
 
“I shouldn't have expected so much from you, Kagome. You are only a child, after all. And you are too emotionally attached to all these people. I always thought that would turn out to be a problem. Oh, don't fret, I'll return this body to you when I have finished fighting this battle for you. In time, of course…” Kikyo turned once more, and left the kitchen. Kagome's immaterial form stood in the kitchen, gazing around in shock.
 
Did she just kick me out of my own body?
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Feudal Era / Kagome's future
 
Inuyasha sprinted as fast as he could toward the Bone Eaters well, his black hair flying out behind him. Even if I can't help her… I need to see how her world turns out. I need to see if Kagome can beat Naraku by herself. As he ran, he thought about the changes that had occurred in the girl over the two years. She'd matured greatly, both in body and in mind. She'd trained herself to be a warrior, and how to kill demons, apparently. Being attacked by her savage teacher, Okunara, had hardly seemed to affect her at all.
 
“But she had to become stronger. She had to, because nobody believed her, and there was nobody here willing to protect her.” He narrowed his eyes as he ran.
 
“She had to become a warrior because I wasn't there to help her! I'm so stupid!” He could see the well approaching through the darkness, the dark mouth gaping at him in the moonlight. Here goes… He leapt down the hole, bracing himself just in case of a hard landing. He sighed when he passed through with no trouble. He landed softly on the dirt floor, bare feet sinking in the dusty ground. His nose, human though it was, was immediately assailed by the scent of fresh blood and death. And something darker, which had experienced a couple of times before.
 
“What is that? Miasma?” Inuyasha plunged his fingernails into the raw well-siding and started to haul himself up and out. He cursed as his finger with the splinter started to throb. He eventually clambered over the top, nursing his hand in his lap. The splinter still didn't look too bad, but he'd have to study it in the sunlight. If this damn night ever ends… He thought darkly. He started toward the well house door, shaking the residual dust and dirt from his clothes, then slid the door open and walked outside. Inuyasha sniffed the air, through force of habit, trying to figure out where the assorted scents were coming from.
 
Who is he?
 
Inuyasha whipped around at the sound of the soft voice behind him. His eyes widened as he saw the familiar spirit in its uniform of white and red. He ran to the spirit girl and dropped to his knees before her, gazing up at her face.
 
“Kikyo? You can see me?” The spirit girl's eyes widened and her mouth dropped open.
 
You can hear me?
 
InuYasha studied the transparent priestess in front of him. Something about her didn't seem quite… He peered more closely, then paled. Oh no… was I too late? The spirit girl blushed under his scrutiny.
 
What's wrong? Why are you staring at me like that?
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened even further as he realized his previous thought was true.
 
“Ka… Kagome? Why are you out here? Why aren't you in… your body?” Kagome's spirit looked at him, confused.
 
Do I know you? Better yet, how do you know me? I think I'd remember meeting a guy that looks as goo…
 
She was interrupted by dark voice that InuYasha immediately recognized.
 
“I am here, Miko. Prepare yourself.” Kagome's spirit turned toward the voice, as did InuYasha, and saw Naraku and two female companions bearing down on what appeared to be Kagome standing in the middle of the courtyard. InuYasha mentally slapped himself, then moved to stand next to the transparent girl. She was staring at the massive sword in Naraku's hand, unmoving.
 
Oh. Crap.
 
InuYasha glanced between the spirit beside him, and the girl in the courtyard, then came to a conclusion.
 
“So… If you're here… That's Kikyo in your body.” The spirit girl nodded numbly beside him. InuYasha sighed, and ran a hand through his hair. She never changes…
 
“Oh. Crap.”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Ah! This is ridiculous! Let me back in! Psychotic dead girl! Body snatcher! Evil priestess!
 
Kagome's immaterial arms thrashed ineffectually at Kikyo's back as she twirled, dodging various wind attacks from Kagura, and Naraku's sword. She hadn't been able to sink her hands into the body as Kikyo had done. She couldn't even touch it. Kikyo threw a sideways glance at the spirit girl and threw out a hand to ward her off.
 
“Back off, child! This is no longer your fight!” Kagome's spirit went flying back to the sidelines in a flash of white light. She cried out as it dazzled her, and landed on the ground a few feet from the dark haired boy. Kagome flipped herself onto her back and sat up, looking the boy over again.
 
So… you never told me… How do you know me? Or Kikyo, actually. You thought I was her at first.
 
InuYasha glanced over at the girl, surprised. After she'd dashed off to join the battle, he hadn't expected her to return. He glanced back over to the fray, and saw that Kikyo seemed to be holding her own quite well. Yeah, thanks to Kagome's new improved body… He couldn't help but look her over appraisingly. Her fighting moves were impeccable. He felt a burning cold against one cheek and found his head turning toward the spirit girl beside him.
 
“Hey! You touched me! You're… so cold.” Inuyasha covered the cheek Kagome had just touched, letting the warmth from his hand seep back in. He found himself looking into a very angry pair of transparent brown eyes.
 
I was talking to you, and you were checking out my newly vacated body instead of listening! I don't even know who you are! You could be on Okunara's… I mean Naraku's… side!
 
InuYasha looked sharply at his arch nemesis, another fact suddenly dawning on him.
 
“The creepy teacher! Man, no wonder I didn't like him. So he disguised himself as your teacher to get close to you and eventually grab the jewel. The next time I get a chance, I'm going to finish him off for good! Huh?” InuYasha realized that the girl in front of him was glaring at him. He broke into a sweat, and shifted backwards away from her.
 
How do you know so much about Naraku? When did you see him as my teacher? I don't recognize you from school, so you must have had dealings with him before! Tell me, or I'll finish YOU off for good!
 
Inuyasha raised his hands in a warding off gesture. She's still got that temper… I guess some things never change.
 
“Yes, I've had dealings with him before. He… he made me betray someone very close to me once. And, in one way or another, he has tainted the lives of most of my friends too. He's the bad guy here, not me!” Kagome's eyes softened and she backed off. Inuyasha breathed a sigh of relief. They stayed opposite each other, so they could see each other and the battle. Neither of them seemed to know what to say. Kagome spoke first.
 
So, what were you doing in the well house then? Did you hear the battle and hide or something?
 
InuYasha snorted, drawing pictures in the dusty ground by his feet.
 
“No. Only cowards hide. When you saw me I was just arriving. I came through the well.” Kagome furrowed her brow, then glanced back at the boy's face.
 
What do you mean, you came through the well? Is there a secret passage or a tunnel down there, or something?
 
InuYasha smiled at the girl. She really doesn't know, does she?
 
“See, the Bone-eaters well? It's kind of a gateway… a passage to my time.” The spirit girl sitting opposite him, glanced over his clothes again, and smiled faintly.
 
Those clothes… they're not a costume, are they?
 
She looked back over at the battle. Kikyo had taken the high ground, and was shooting arrows at Naraku from the roof of the house. Inuyasha looked at the girl across from him, studying her face again. She looks so sad…
 
“You don't seem too surprised by this news.” The girl chuckled softly, and ran a hand through her long hair, loosening it from the hair band.
 
You don't know the day I've had. My teacher attacked me at school this morning, my psychiatrist and her office assistant were both murdered while on the phone to me, I found one of my friends dead in a school bathroom and then conversed with her ghost for a while, then I came home and found all my friends dead due to poison miasma. My Gramps was dead in a hallway, my little brother died in my arms, and my mother was turned into a zombie and she attacked me in the kitchen. Not to mention all the other living dead kids trying to get at me the whole time. And having my best friend and spirit guide steal my body to top it all off! Learning that there's a wormhole into the feudal era in the shrine well doesn't seem too earth shattering to me right now… Huh?
 
Kagome's sentence was cut short. The strange boy, the boy she'd only just met, had wrapped his arms around her and was cradling her tenderly.
 
“Oh Kagome… My poor sweet Kagome… How could I have let all these terrible things happen to you…? I'm so sorry…” He stroked her hair and rubbed her back, comforting her. The spirit girl blushed brightly, and broke into a slight sweat.
 
What do you mean? It's not your fault any of this happened. It's all… It's all… my fault…
 
Her eyes filled with tears and she finally gave in to the embrace. His body felt so warm against hers… so hot… She sobbed her immaterial tears into her shoulder and relished his arms around her. She felt completely safe for the first time in her life. Safe in the arms of a complete stranger. She didn't care. Eventually her sobs died away, and she pulled away enough to look into the boy's eyes.
 
You… you can touch me, too?
 
InuYasha blushed, then remembered the earlier conversation and how surprised he'd been when she'd made contact with his cheek.
 
“Looks that way, yeah. How are you feeling?” Kagome's transparent fingers grasped at the red material of Inuyasha's collar and she craned her neck to look back at the battle. Kagura had an arrow through her shoulder, but she was still managing to control the winds. Kanna was deflecting arrows with her mirror, and Naraku appeared unscathed. Kikyo appeared to be fine. Kagome figured she could sit and talk to the boy a while longer.
 
I think I was in shock. My mother was attacking me when Kikyo stole my body, and I'd just seen everybody else I've ever cared about coming back as the living dead. I don't know how I'm going to fix all this, when I can't even get back into my body.
 
The spirit girl glanced back up at the boy's face. He seemed to be fighting an inner battle with himself. He also still had his arms wrapped tightly around her.
 
Um, excuse me? You can let me go now.
 
Inuyasha looked down at the girl in his arms, and almost sprang back from her in alarm.
 
“I'm sorry!” He crossed his arms over his chest and looked away, blushing furiously. Kagome chuckled.
 
You're acting like a little kid. Haven't you ever hugged anyone like that before? I mean, surely someone as good looking as you has had girlfriends before!
 
Inuyasha blushed even deeper, and ran a hand over his dark head.
 
“Can we change the subject now? Please!” Kagome smiled quietly to herself and moved on.
 
So, how is it that you know Kikyo?
 
“I knew her back in my time, when she was a priestess. She and I were… associates. She was the keeper of the jewel back then. I kind of helped her out sometimes…” Kagome's eyes widened as the information sunk in.
 
Were you her lover? The one that turned against her and tried to steal the jewel? Is that why you're here now?
 
InuYasha glared at the girl.
 
“That's not how it happened! Naraku disguised himself as me and attacked her! He mortally wounded her, then took the jewel and returned it to the shrine. Then he disguised himself as Kikyo and came after me!” Kagome's eyes clouded as she realized what had happened.
 
You thought that Kikyo was attacking you. Then you ran to the shrine yourself and stole the jewel. That's when she killed you…
 
InuYasha raised a hand to interrupt.
 
“Not killed - she shot me with an enchanted arrow and attached me to the Spirit Tree. For all I know, I'm still up there right now, unless my body rotted away.” Kagome looked over at the boy, puzzling.
 
But that still doesn't explain why you're here right now. Did you sense the battle and come through the well to help. As far as I can tell, you're about as useful as I am right now. No-one can see you, you can't touch anybody, and you can't pick up weapons and use them either. So why come back now?
 
InuYasha looked away, toward the battle again. Kikyo was still on the roof, firing arrows at Naraku and his off siders. Just tell her… Just tell Kagome the truth about the wish. She deserves to know… He looked at the girl beside him, the girl who had fought side by side with him through so many battles, the girl who had now never been through the well and had been fighting just as hard on her own. He cleared his throat.
 
“Well, the thing is… I met this girl a couple of years ago. She was about fifteen years old, and she looked a lot like Kikyo had. She released me from my enchantment, then somehow the Shikon jewel was torn from her body by a demon and shattered. The girl and I decided to go about and find all the pieces of the jewel, and along the way we made a whole bunch of great friends. Made some enemies too, pretty bad ones at that…” Kagome was listening, entranced.
 
Was the girl you met a reincarnation of Kikyo, like I am.
 
Inuyasha nodded. Exactly like you… he thought to himself.
 
“Every time we had to battle to win a shard of the jewel, this stupid girl gets injured, or captured, or most recently infused with poisoned jewel shards and sent into an enchanted dream state. I just… I always end up saving her life. If she hadn't come through the well that day… she wouldn't have been put through all that. So I made a wish…” Inuyasha looked over at the spirit girl beside him. She was staring at the well house, her eyes wide.
 
Did you say…she came through a well? This girl came through a well into your time. And you just came through our well into this time…
 
InuYasha closed his eyes and groaned. Damn it!
 
Kagome moved to sit in front of the boy, her eyes questioning.
 
Was it me? Was I the girl that went back to the feudal era and released you from your enchantment? Please tell me! I need to know! I need to know I'm not crazy!
 
The spirit girl grabbed his arms, and once more he was filled with a searing cold. He shivered involuntarily and she let him go.
 
“Yes! Yes it was you! Then I made that stupid wish and everything went to hell! My enchantment was never broken! All our friends ended up dead! And your world over here is so twisted and dangerous it's worse for you here than it was over there!” Kagome's eyes widened as she contemplated this new information.
 
Back in the feudal era, were there lots of strange demons and creatures you wouldn't normally find outside of story books?
 
Inuyasha nodded, confused by the question. Kagome's eyes filled with happy tears, and she threw herself into the boy's arms once more.
 
I knew I wasn't crazy, I knew it! When that thing tried to grab me two years ago, then the roof beam fell down and skewered it! I knew it was real, but nobody believed me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
 
Inuyasha looked down, embarrassed and bemused by the girl sobbing happily into his chest.
 
“Um, that's ok. Now get off me.” He said it quite gruffly, but the nudge he gave her was gentle enough. Kagome sat up, wiping the tears from her immaterial cheeks. He couldn't help but smile at the relief he saw on the girl's face.
 
“The wish I made… I have the option to take it back, but I don't know what that would do to you, or your world. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone here, or make it any worse for you. What do you think I should do?” Kagome looked up at him, and smiled gently.
 
I think that whatever you decide on, pick what feels right in your heart. Think it through well, and decide what's more important to you - a safe present, or a happy future. And whatever you do end up picking…
 
Kagome shuffled forward on her knees and hooked a finger under the boy's chin, lifting his eyes up to hers.
 
Make your Kagome smile and laugh. Keep her happy and safe and alive…and make sure she is well loved.
 
The spirit girl pressed her lips firmly against his, her ice against his fire, then began to run back towards the battle. She stopped and turned, her transparent black hair flying out behind her.
 
I'm so sorry - I didn't even ask your name!
 
InuYasha stood up, his dark hair billowing out behind him, red clothing standing out against the dark background.
 
“Just think of me as a friend. A friend from the past. Good luck!” Kagome rushed back towards the battle, filled with a new vigour. Inuyasha watched the girl run away from him, back towards Naraku. A strange thought ran through his mind. If she actually does beat him, and wins the day… Maybe I shouldn't take the wish back. Maybe I should just let her live, and be happy in this world. I think maybe, if I knew she could be happy here… that would be the best choice. He sat back on the ground, ready to see how this final battle would turn out. His forehead was creased with worry lines, and he ran his finger over his lips, still recovering from the cold press of Kagome's spirit.
 
“I hope she wins. Please, let her win. I don't think I could stand seeing her die in front of me…”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kagome ran back to the battle, and she could see things were starting to get interesting. Kanna's mirror appeared to have a large crack in it, and Kagura's arm seemed to be weighing her down quite a bit, the arrow in her shoulder causing it to hang uselessly by her side. Naraku still seemed to be unaffected by everything, his sword flashing in the lamplights. And Kikyo… Kikyo seemed to actually be tiring.
 
If she's tired, she might not be able to repel me as easily.
 
Kagome ran some of Kikyo's words from earlier through her mind.
 
It was a theory I wanted to try out… if these were indeed my old clothes, I should be able to touch them…
 
Kagome thought hard.
 
Is Kikyo wearing anything of mine, which I would be able to touch, or grab her by?
 
Her thoughts were interrupted by a cry of pain. A female cry of pain.
 
Kikyo! Oh no! My body!
 
Kagome rushed over just in time to see Naraku pinning Kikyo to the trunk of the Spirit Tree. He'd thrust the sword through her side, right where the jewel generally resided. She could see dark rivulets of blood dripping from the wound, and running down the tree. Kikyo's eyes were filled with pain and hatred, and directed at Naraku. He was smiling at the trapped priestess.
 
“I still do not understand this ill will you hold towards me, Naraku. What did I do to wrong you so badly you seek revenge even now?” Naraku continued smiling, and thrust the sword even further into the tree. Kikyo cried out again.
 
“Back when you knew me I did not go by the name `Naraku'. I was Onigumo, the burned thief you tended to inside that lonely cave. And I believe you have something that I still wish to steal!” He plunged his hand into the widening sword wound, feeling around inside the wound for the jewel he knew to be there. Kikyo screamed in agony as his fingers gouged inside her wound. Naraku's eyes narrowed, and he looked into the Priestess's eyes.
 
“Where is it? Where have you hidden it? So help me, I will tear this body of yours apart to find my prize! Where is the Shikon no Tama?!” Kikyo, paling from the pain and blood loss, looked at the villain in surprise.
 
“What do you mean? The jewel has always been there… right there…” She passed out, hanging limply from the tree. Kagome looked down at her immaterial body, and was surprised to see a glow emanating from inside her. She smiled slightly to herself, despite the violence and horrors going on around her.
 
I guess the jewel could sense the evil intentions in her heart, and chose to stay with me - that's probably why that boy could touch me…
 
Kagome looked up once more at the Spirit Tree, and gasped. Around the other side, she could see dark material flapping in the breeze. She ran around and looked up, her heart leaping into her mouth. A boy, dressed up in a samurai costume, hung limply from the tree, a branch puncturing his chest. His light brown hair fell over his forehead, and his eyes were closed in an eternal sleep.
 
Hojo! No! Not you too! There's nobody left…
 
Kagome sank to her knees, all hope leaving her heart. There would be no-one but her to come and save the day. She couldn't even be sure that Kikyo was on her side any more. The only one that seemed to be was the boy from the past… and he couldn't even hold a weapon in his form.
 
I'm the only one… I'm the only one…I'm the only one…
 
The words echoed through her head as she surveyed her hopeless position. Kikyo remained unconscious, pinned to the tree. Naraku went back to his probing. Kanna tended to Kagura's shoulder. The zombies remained inside the house, as Kagura had ended the dance of the dead. They all lay lifeless once more.
 
And InuYasha pondered whether he should take back the wish or not.
 
The new moon shone on overhead, oblivious to all of this.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Mbwahahaha, cliffy! Sorry, that's all I could come up with in a week! Once again, thanks to all the folks who are still reading this, I'm trying to keep it as interesting as I can! I'm really not sure about the zombies, but I wanted to write them in because hey! It's something that Kagura can do, and her wind attacks get kind of boring after a while. Ok, so I'm still thinking there'll be about 3 more parts, then it'll finally be over. In theory anyway.
 
Thanks to my reviewers from last time:
 
Hanajima
Danielle/Deeg /inuyashalover1221
Inu4ever
animecrazedgirl - times 2 again! Classic!
 
I seem to have seen most of those names before - yay!
 
Once again, please remember to review when you're done - I'll keep writing it as long as people are interested!
 
Thanks again!
Foxfire out!
catherinehgreen@gmail.com