InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Smile ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Smile
Universe: Mid-canon manga
Word Length (250 min): 585
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Pairing: Kagura/Sesshoumaru
Summary: In the midst of such pain, what left a smile on her lips?

Entry for: iyfic_contest Week 157, “First Kiss” prompt (1st Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

It was quiet, this place.

Too quiet.

There was nothing to drown out that damn annoying noise.

Was she cursed to live her final moments with the steady, strong beat of her heart ringing in her ears, mocking her?

Kagura’s vision began to blur, darkening in the periphery. She was in a field – a beautiful, pristine field filled with summer flowers, their sweet scent growing stronger to her fading senses. The sky was clear, the sun shining brightly, the breeze floating softly around her…

…the poison paralyzing her body.

Her eyes slipped down to her lap. Will it end here? Just me…by myself…

A tear slipped down her cheek, falling into the blood pooling around her knees. Her mouth twisted into a wry grimace. So this is the freedom I’ve been seeking…

She noticed the flowers again, their petals rising high, as if in greeting. The scent was overwhelming now, viciously turning the contents of her stomach. She swallowed hard, squeezing her eyes shut, concentrating on keeping the wave of nausea contained.

What a way to die…completely aware of it.

“Kagura.”

Her heart took a painful beat at the sound of her name. Slowly, she lifted her head, opened her eyes. “Sesshoumaru?” she whispered, unable to believe her eyes. Was she already dead? Was she dreaming?

Was he really standing there?

With effortless ease, he sank down on one knee. “I followed the scent of Naraku’s miasma,” he said.

Her heart wrenched again, the shock of the poison now numbing her limbs, her torso. She smiled sadly, lowering her face once more. “Do I disappoint you, then? That I’m not him?”

“I knew it was you.”

Kagura exhaled sharply, her body seizing with excruciating pain. She chanced to look up, narrowing her gaze as she studied him. His face was impassive, as usual, but the intensity of his gaze betrayed something more. Her heart began to race, her head becoming light, her vision fading.

“I see,” she replied softly.

She was not surprised to feel the hesitant touch of his hand on her face. He stroked her hair gently, the tips of his claws raking against her temple.

She watched him closely, hoping against hope…

His expression never changed, not even as he passed the pad of his thumb under her eye, wiping away the tracks of her tears. His fingers curled under her chin as he studied her with that signature cold golden glare.

Please, she pleaded silently, hoping to communicate with her eyes what she could not give voice.

Yes.

It was absolutely exquisite, the feel of his mouth against hers. Her eyes drifted shut as her head fell back slightly. She leaned into the caress with every ounce of her flagging strength. If this was her last moment of life…

…then in the end, she had no regrets.

“Thank you, Sesshoumaru,” she whispered as he pulled away. “Thank you for allowing me to see you…one last time.”

There was nothing else – only the sensation of falling, weightlessness, drifting back into an infinite void. She didn’t last long enough to see the arrival of Inuyasha and his group, or to hear the hanyou’s harsh curse.

“Just tell me one thing, Sesshoumaru,” Inuyasha burst out, eyeing his brother as the elder youkai kneeled motionless on the ground, his arm curved in mid-air, cradling some invisible entity. “Did she...was she suffering?”

Sesshoumaru raised himself to his full height, his arm falling back to his side as he looked up into the sky.

“She was smiling.”