InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Reassurance ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Reassurance
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: A smidge of angst
Word Count: 300
Summary: Even taiyoukai need to be reassured sometimes.

Author’s Note: Part of the “Allegiance” series (set between ‘Vengeance’ and ‘Alliance’).

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #19, “Echo”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

“My lord?”

Sesshoumaru ignored the incredulous question, closing the door behind himself. The infirmary was not a place he visited often, or even occasionally; no doubt such was the reason for the guard’s confused address.

He couldn’t help it. He had to know.

His scowl deepened as he continued down the length of the narrow room. Finally, he spotted her: the last in the long line of ill or injured, shunted off to the side under the drafty window. She laid perfectly still, her body battered and bruised, her eyes closed, her hair matted against her forehead. Her chest rose and fell in a slightly irregular rhythm. She had been considerably weakened in the battle: her spiritual powers lay totally dormant.

A surge of intensity rushed over him as he drew closer, looking down at her, though it was a mere echo of the primal urgency that had flooded him when she was felled. Yet even now, with the knowledge she was safe and alive, his heart still picked up speed, his youki still flared.

He sank down beside her, pinning his golden gaze on her face, studying her. He didn’t understand why he felt this way. What was it about her that had provoked these primal instincts? She was a human, after all – and more distastefully, had been his brother’s mate.

Nonetheless, he felt drawn to her, the sadness in her soul reflecting his.

His hand brushed across hers.

“My lord,” came a soft voice. Cutting his eyes to the side, Sesshoumaru recognized the footwear of the court physician.

He rose, his eyes never leaving Kagome’s face.

“She is resilient, my lord,” the physician noted with a shrewd glance. “She will be fine.”

Sesshoumaru turned away, a shadow of relief falling over his features as he left the room.