InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Golden Child ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Golden Child
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon (post-manga)
Word length (250 min): 1016
Rating: K+
Warnings: A touch of angst
Summary: Sesshoumaru recalls his childhood interactions with his father during one of his visits with Rin.

Entry for: iyfic_contest Week 172, “Baggage” prompt

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Sesshoumaru gazed down at the child seated next to him, his expression softening into what passed for ‘doting’ for such a stoic taiyoukai. “You find it pleasing, Rin?” he murmured.

Her entire face lit up as her gaze met his. “Oh, yes, my lord,” she gushed, bringing the soft silk close to her cheek. “It’s beautiful!” She heaved a heartfelt sigh, her eyes fluttering shut as she caressed the material.

“Hm,” he said, satisfaction settling over him as he watched her enjoy the gift. It was unsettling, this sense of pride and possessiveness he had when it came to this little human girl. She had come to mean far more to him than he ever thought possible. He wasn’t able to visit her often, but when he did, he wanted to make every moment in her presence count.

In some ways, the situation wasn’t so very different from his own childhood.

His father had been absent for most of it, spending long months traveling the breadth of his domain, settling disputes or fighting enemies. He remembered quite clearly the joy he felt whenever his father returned home, always boasting some exotic gift or exciting story to lavish upon his only child. Even as a boy, Sesshoumaru was intensely proud of his lineage, honored to be the heir to such power and strength.

But, even being the great Inu no Taisho’s son did not mean he was immune to the awe the man inspired in his people. Sesshoumaru, perhaps more than anyone else, worshipped his father unconditionally. He took his training seriously, determined to always have his father’s acceptance and approval.

For a few fleeting years, he was the golden child, the apple of his father’s eye.

And then…one day…in the blink of an eye, his whole world disappeared.

His father left, ostensibly on another of his far-reaching journeys to some remote area of his kingdom.

But he never came back.

The adulation of a small boy turned to bewilderment. Was it him? Had he done something to drive his wonderful, powerful, awe-inspiring father away? They had squabbled over some petty matter the night before, it was true, and it he who had been at fault, but he never had the chance to set things to rights before dawn broke the next day.

His mother assured him that he was not to blame. It was merely the draw of the land: one day he, too, would feel the desire to wander.

Fear and doubt turned to resentment, however, when he learned of his father’s true reason for leaving: he had taken up with a human woman, and given her a child.

He would never forget the day he came across the secret little family, quite by accident.

The sky was brilliantly blue and cloudless, the sun warm on his back as he flew in the direction of the eastern mountains, off to settle some small dispute between two minor nobles. He had decided to stop in a small glen in the middle of a dense forest, far from any human or youkai settlements.

He had only wanted to slake his thirst…

But that’s when he spotted them.

His father, with his arms around a human woman, holding her gently, lovingly – a way he’d never embraced his youkai mate. They were murmuring softly to each other, poking at something in the woman’s arms. Even from a distance, the human babbling grated at his ears.

He watched with wide eyes as his father scooped the little half-breed mutt from his mother’s arms, showering him with brilliant smiles he’d once only bestowed upon his other, legitimate child. “My golden boy,” he declared, earning a burble and cough from the hanyou baby.

The words sliced straight through him.

I’ve been replaced.

He turned away, leaving without a word, unable to look upon his father with anything other than hurt and disgust. He completed his business and returned home to his mother, his expression muted and cold, his heart shuttered from the rest of the world.

It was only upon his father’s death that he learned of the swords commissioned from Totosai, ones that had helped him conquer his foes, rule his territories – and protect his hidden human family. It was a final, lasting insult to be bequeathed the lesser of the two, while the golden child received the one with all the power.

He didn’t understand his father’s reasoning then, and he supposed that he never would.

“My lord, it grows late,” came a quiet, almost relieved voice, breaking into Sesshoumaru’s thoughts. He glanced up to see Jaken entering the small hut, clutching the Staff of Two Heads nervously. The little imp hated spending long periods of time in the human village.

Rin looked up then, grasping his arm insistently. “Do you have to leave?” she whimpered, her fingers curling into the sleeve of his kimono.

“Yes,” he replied quietly.

Her eyes fell to the floor as she sucked her bottom lip between her teeth. The stench of tears assailed him, and he felt her fingers latching tighter and tighter onto his arm.

He gazed at her impassively. “You know this is the best place for you, Rin,” he said. His father’s kingdom had withered and fractured following his death. It would take many years – and many bloody battles – to unite it once again. During such dangerous times, there was no place at his side for a child, much less a human.

She nodded, running her free hand over the kimono in her lap, fighting to keep her tears in check.

Sesshoumaru made to stand, surprised when she didn’t let go, instead rising up with him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “Don’t forget to come back for me,” she pleaded, squeezing her thin arms around his armor, catching fistfuls of his hair as it flowed down around her.

A surge of protectiveness washed through him as he brought a hand to her head, gently running his claws through her hair. “Never,” he promised. Never will you know the pain I have known.

I’ll always return for you, my golden child.