InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Appearance ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Appearance
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Word Count: 200
Summary: Kagome appears at Sesshoumaru’s door, seeking his aid.

Author’s Note: Part of the “Allegiance” series (prelude to ‘Vengeance’).

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #18, “Regret”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

“Let me go!”

Sesshoumaru’s attention was drawn to the front gates of the courtyard, where his castle guard appeared to be engaged in a small scuffle.

“Never!” one of the men cried.

“What business would a human have with our lord?” another sneered.

“She reeks of hanyou,” another noted.

His curiosity piqued, Sesshoumaru approached the fray.

“Onii-san!” Kagome called, pushing against her captors as she caught sight of him.

A hush fell over the courtyard, all eyes drawn towards the great taiyoukai to measure his reaction.

“Leave her be,” he commanded.

Shock radiated over the assembled crowd. The guards acquiesced, though not without protest.

“You are dismissed,” he directed, dispersing the clutch of gawkers.

Kagome drew herself up to her full height before him.

“Did my brother’s hospitality finally run its course?” he asked bemusedly.

“No, but his life did,” she replied shortly.

Surprise sliced through him. “And the well?”

She shook her head. “You’re the only one left…” Her eyes fell. “Please, would you consider taking me in?”

He gazed down at her bowed head, recognizing the desperation and sadness in her tone. She looked absolutely terrible – gaunt, exhausted, disheveled.

“Don’t make me regret this, onee-san,” he replied softly.