InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Oath ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Oath
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Word Count: 400
Summary: Sequel to “Alliance.” Sesshoumaru fights conflicting feelings after swearing a blood oath to Kagome.

Author’s Note: Part five in a series – “Remembrance” | “Promise” | “Vengeance” | “Alliance”

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #17, “Mist” (1st Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Sesshoumaru led Kagome to a small clearing just beyond his castle walls. He took a moment to let his gaze wander over the landscape, retracing the old, familiar edges. This was his secret refuge, the place where he’d fled as a child when seeking comfort or solace. There was something about it – the air, the sweet smell of blooming wildflowers – that always set him immediately at ease.

He approached the lone tree in the middle of the glen before turning to face her. The morning mist was still heavy in the air, cloaking them in silence, in secrecy. It was almost enough to hide the ugly marks that covered her skin.

Almost.

“You’re sure about this?” he murmured.

“Yes.” Her gaze met his directly. He’d long wondered if she truly understood the consequences of her dangerous proposal – to strengthen their alliance into a union. It was a shocking notion, one he would have dismissed outright not so long ago. Not even Rin, who’d taught him how to love, had been able to move his heart so far.

But this was not a matter of love…

“Hold out your wrist,” he directed. She complied, standing unflinching as he swiped a claw across the marred flesh; even more impressively, she held her purifying powers at bay. He sliced his opposite wrist, pressing the open wounds together, twining their hands to hold the seal in place.

He held her gaze as their blood mingled. Sadness twinkled behind her determined resolve. He realized that her heart yearned not for him, but for his long-dead brother, still.

Not even the refuge had the power to soothe away this disappointment.

“It’s done,” he muttered a moment later. He brought her wrist forward to seal the wound.

“No,” she said. “Leave it be.”

“Unnecessary,” he replied, tending his own cut before drawing her into a formal embrace. “The others will know because of my scent on you.”

“So a blood oath marks a youkai union?” she asked.

He nodded, fighting against the primal surge of protectiveness that flooded through him. They were mates now. Not for love – for business. For protection.

It would have to be enough…

His breath hitched when he felt the gentle pressure of her lips on his, her hands warm on his neck. “And that?” he breathed, momentarily confused as she pulled away.

“…is how humans seal a marriage,” she answered, smiling softly.