InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Unworthy ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Unworthy
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Mid-canon manga (Chapter 292)
Rating: T
Warnings: Angst
Word Count (250 max): 250
Summary: In the aftermath of possession, Sango finds herself unworthy of Miroku’s respect…much less anything more.

Entry for: iyissekiwa prompt #67, “Catch” (3rd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Sango clutched her hands in her lap, heat and humiliation crashing over her in waves. Miroku sat stoically beside her, seemingly serene in spite of his multiple wounds. Injuries I caused, she reminded herself, her eyes slipping away from him. How could he ever forgive me? How could I ever forgive myself?

She couldn’t allow him to take the blame for this. It was her fault that she had been possessed by the salamander youkai. She’d allowed her petty jealousy to override her better judgment. She deserved the loss of his respect, or anything other feelings he might have had.

“Sango,” Miroku finally said. “I want to tell you something.”

Her chest constricted, a breath catching at the back of her throat. This is it.

“You’re very special to me,” he said softly. “I never thought I’d be able to trust anyone as I do you…but we are comrades. We fight alongside each other in battle, and for that reason…I could never love you as an ordinary woman.”

Hot tears threatened to spill down her cheeks. “I know that,” she said, striving to keep the raw hurt out of her voice. “I understand...it’s not like I hoped you were in love with me or anything…”

Awkward silence stretched between them as she continued to silently berate herself for her foolish, reckless actions.

“We’ve said everything, right?” she finally asked. “Then I’ll go.”

“No.” Suddenly she felt the warmth of his hand, engulfing her wrist, tugging insistently. “I’m only just beginning.”