InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Contemplation ( Chapter 44 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Contemplation
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: A touch of angst
Word Count: 300
Summary: Kagome finally learns what happened to Rin.

Author’s Note: Part of the “Allegiance” series, set some time after ‘Bargain.’

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #26, “Pierce” (3rd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Sesshoumaru knelt by the stone marker, tracing the inscription upon it with one claw. This place was so quiet…he was easily taken back to the last time he’d seen her, her innocent laughter ringing in his ears once again…the love and shy longing of her gaze as her eyes rose to meet his…

“My darling,” she whispered, a blush rising to her cheeks as she looked up at him…

He closed his eyes against the memories, but the anticipated wave of regret did not wash through him. Instead, a blanket of cautious calmness permeated the surrounding air, and he realized he was no longer alone.

“How did you find me?” he asked dully, his eyes still trained on the marker.

“I followed you,” Kagome replied, coming to a halt just behind him. “I was worried.”

“Hm.” If that was true, then he was satisfied that she kept her concern under tight control. Even though his youki had overcome her blood some time ago, thereby shielding him from the acute sensations that accompanied her constantly shifting emotions, those feelings still affected him more than he cared to admit.

He swiftly stood as she moved to his side, her eyes sweeping over the small statue that marked Rin’s grave.

“She died in childbirth?” Kagome questioned, unable to hide her surprise.

He felt the pierce of her gaze upon him, even through the shielding curtain of his hair.

He drew his mouth into a thin, grim smile. “It wasn’t mine,” he informed her tightly, turning away.

“But she wanted it to be?” she mused aloud, picking up on some hint in his tone. She latched onto his arm, halting his movements.

He glanced back at her, only to immediately regret the action, as her eyes lit with new understanding.

“Or maybe you did?”