InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions of Two Hearts ❯ Midnight Confessions ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Written for the At First Tweak community at LiveJournal. The prompt was Bell and it had to be a drabble (300 words or less)
 
Title: Midnight Confession
Rating: G
Pairing: InuYasha/Kagome
Genre: Romance
Warnings: Fluff, Spoilers for Manga Chapter 556
Word Count: 299
Summary: InuYasha and Kagome wait for the bells to ring in the New Year.
 
 
Midnight Confession
 
“Hey,” InuYasha said softly as he approached Kagome. She was sitting on the bench under Goshinboku. “What are you doing out here so late?” The hanyou was uncomfortable. He could tell she'd been crying.
 
The young miko gave a slight smile and gestured for him to join her. “A lot's happened this year, hasn't it?”
 
Not really knowing how to respond, InuYasha nodded.
 
“Do you know what tonight is?”
 
“I assume it has something to do with all of the cleaning and stuff that's been going on around here. When Jijii got all of those boxes in, I just knew he was going to start plastering me with sutra again.”
 
Kagome laughed softly. “If he did that, he couldn't sell them - though maybe he could charge extra if he said they'd been used on a real live hanyou. But yes, tonight at midnight the bells will ring in the New Year.”
 
“So what does that mean?”
 
“We get to leave the worries and troubles from this year behind and start over again.”
 
They sat in silence for a while until he noticed she was shivering with the cold. He placed his arm around her and pulled her against him.
 
“InuYasha, do you ever wish this last year had never happened? That you hadn't been stuck here with me when the well vanished?”
 
He didn't respond immediately, and he knew her eyes were filling with tears as she tried to pull away.
 
He caught her cheek gently and turned her face toward his. “I wouldn't change this last year for anything. Yeah, it was rough, but I realized what you meant to me, and then I realized what I mean to you.”
 
She smiled as the bells begin to toll the New Year and he lowered his lips to hers.