InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions of Two Hearts ❯ Dream A Little Dream ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This was written for the IY Captions community at LiveJournal - Week 5.
Prompt http://kriscynical (dot) deviantart (dot) com/art/quot-Aniki-quot-Colored-18858863
 
Title: Dream a Little Dream
Rating: Y
Warning: Language
Genre: Drama
Type: Canon
Summary: InuYasha has a reoccurring nightmare.
 
 
Dream a Little Dream
 
“Fuck!” InuYasha woke with a start, surprised at the amount of sweat that dripped from him. He was even more startled to discover that his face was wet.
 
“InuYasha, what is it?” a soft voice said.
 
“Nothing. Go back to sleep, Kagome,” he responded.
 
He closed his eyes to try and pretend he was going back to sleep, but didn't miss the soft padding of bare feet approaching him. He opened his eyes to find a worried miko looking at him intently. Cautiously, she reached forward and swept his sweat drenched bangs out of his face. “What's wrong? That's the third night in a row.”
 
The hanyou's eyes widened as he realized she'd heard him the previous two nights. Shaking his head, he insisted, “It was just a bad dream - nothing for you to worry about.”
 
“Naraku?”
 
Closing his eyes, he shook his head again.
 
“InuYasha, maybe it'll help if you tell someone,” she urged quietly.
 
He sighed and looked away. The dream didn't make any sense; it was something that had never happened. However, he felt the young miko sit down next to him and then lean against him, offering comfort by her presence.
 
He looked at the others, all slumbering peacefully in Kaede's rather crowded hut. Not wanting to wake anyone else, he silently rose and looked at her expectantly. She held out her hand and was almost surprised when he gently took it and pulled her to her feet. Letting go and folding both hands into his sleeves, he went through the door. He didn't have to look to know that she was following him.
 
They walked in silence until they found themselves at Goshinboku. Sitting down on the tangle of roots at the base of the tree, Kagome remained silent while InuYasha gathered his thoughts.
 
“It doesn't make any fucking sense,” he finally offered. “Why would I dream about something that never happened?”
 
The miko couldn't tell if he was talking to her, or himself.
 
“I never saw the bastard when I was little,” he continued. “He never came to check on me, even once.”
 
The wheels were turning in Kagome's head. There was really only one other soul that InuYasha referred to commonly in such a manner other than Naraku, who was dead. That was his elder brother. “Sesshomaru?” she questioned. “You're dreaming about your brother?”
 
The hanyou's shoulders slumped in defeat. “Keh.”
 
She reached over and gently touched his arm. “What happened? In your dream? You don't have to tell me, but maybe we can make sense of it. Dreams aren't always based on something that's real. A lot of times they are a symbol for something else.”
 
“So why would I be tugging at Sesshomaru's sleeve and begging him not to go? I never wanted anything from that bastard.” InuYasha refused to look at her and was instead staring off into space somewhere.
 
“Didn't you?” Kagome whispered.
 
“No! I…” InuYasha's voice trailed away. “No. Just leave it at that.”
 
“InuYasha, he was your only family. There's nothing wrong if you wanted him to be a big brother to you. I know you looked up to him. The reason you wanted the Shikon no Tama was so that you could become a full blood youkai, just like him.” Kagome fell silent and waited for him to respond. When only silence fell on her ears, she prompted, “How old were you in the dream?”
 
“Not very. It couldn't have been long after my mother died. I barely made it to his waist,” the hanyou answered reluctantly.
 
“What else?”
 
“He was telling me I was on my own. I was just an abomination - our father's mistake. He told me to fend for myself or die, and not to ever let him catch me in the Western Lands. I was holding on to his sleeve, begging him not to go. It's stupid, I know.” InuYasha took a rock he'd plucked from somewhere and chucked it across the clearing. “I don't understand. It never happened.”
 
Kagome was silent as she considered what he'd said. “I think your dream symbolizes your relationship now.”
 
“Relationship? What relationship?” the hanyou argued.
 
“Whether you want to admit it or not, you two worked together against Naraku and Magatsuhi. He even protected me when I was helpless, which he didn't have to do. You may still insult each other, but you haven't tried to kill each other in a long time. To be honest, I'm not certain that you ever really did. I think you like the feeling that you actually have a brother and don't want to lose that. I think you have earned his respect, and you are afraid of losing that - of being rejected. You feel like that lost little boy with no family once again. InuYasha, you never have to feel that way again. Even when Sesshomaru leaves here, you will still be his brother. Even when he leaves here, you will still have his respect. You've earned it in this battle. He won't be rejecting you when he goes, he'll simply be going home. And while you'll probably always argue and trade insults, he'll still be family.” Kagome took his hand between hers and squeezed it. “Does that make any sense?”
 
InuYasha sighed and nodded. As much as he hated to admit it, what she said rang true.
 
 
A short distance away, downwind from them, a ghostly figure glided into the darkness. “Indeed.”