InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions of Two Hearts ❯ Barely Dawn ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Written for the FirstTweak community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “Dawn” and the limit was 300 words.
 
Title: Barely Dawn
Rating: G
Character: InuYasha
Word Count: 300
Type: Canon - takes place during final chapter 558 during Kagome's three year absence
Summary: InuYasha contemplates his feelings.
 
Barely Dawn
 
InuYasha sat high in his favorite tree - not Goshinboku, but the dead, bare one from which he could watch the world around him. In the beginning he'd used it as a safe haven of sorts. Yes, he could be seen, but he could see anyone that approached from any direction. It was a spot for him to lightly doze out of reach of humans and most youkai. It was a sanctuary that helped insure he'd awaken the next morning.
 
Not long ago Kaede had asked him, `When did you become so wise,' when he'd admitted that he left Kagome with her family and returned alone intentionally. He didn't know when it dawned on him that he had fallen in love with her - he just knew that he was. He knew that he needed her, but once Naraku had been defeated and after all that she had been through in the darkness alone, he realized that he needed her to be happy, too. Her family was so relieved upon her return that they all were crying, so he left her with them and went back to his era alone. It was the hardest thing he'd ever done.
 
It had also dawned on him during those last days of their battle that fate had intended for them to be together. He'd had the revelation, at least in his heart, that he was meant for her and she for him. At that point he'd actually shouted it to the youkai in the Shikon no Tama that wanted to keep her there. He wished he could have said those things to her.
 
It was the dawn of a new day. InuYasha jumped down to check the well once again. Maybe today would be the day she returned. He just had to have faith.