InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Consolation Prize ❯ A Monks Wisdom ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own the Roman Coliseum, I do not own the Eiffel Tower, I do not own a condominium on Times Square in New York, nor do I own Inuyasha. However if you are interested in some waterfront property in Atlantis I can make you a rather good deal!

Chapter Two - A Monk's Wisdom?

Shippo's cry of 'foxfire' startled everyone as a blue glow enveloped Kirara. Concerned Sango instinctively dove for the cat demon across the lap of a very thankful monk.

"Ah, Sango..." the monk began hand hovering above the delectable curves of the slayer's backside.

"Touch me Housi and I'll…" the slayer threatened pulling back from the apparently unharmed fire demon.

Threats, abuse, an aching jaw, throbbing head or stinging cheek; none of these deterrents could keep a particular monk from touching that particular part of this particular female sprawled across his lap. After all there was just so much restraint one could expect from a man in love in just such a situation. He swallowed, restraint be damned.

He groped.

She screamed.

He winced.

She swung.

He hurt.

The slayer's anger was appeased by the bright redness staining the monk's cheek, while his eyes glittered with desire enflamed by the remembered feel of soft curves beneath his palm. All was normal.

From his perch in the branches of a nearby tree, Inuyasha smiled at the sound of Kagome's laughter. His gaze sought then settled upon his dark haired beauty.

Remembering the previous evening's discovery he worried his lower lip and turned back to his sweep of the surrounding forest. His senses spread sifting through the movement of animal and youkai alike, lingering for short moments on those nearest, marking their progress and only allowing himself to relax as they moved away.

Assured of the camp's relative safety Inuyasha was unable to stop his gaze from returning to the tiny woman below. How could she believe she was his consolation prize? He shifted uncomfortably as his honesty reared its ugly head; how could she not when he'd been a fool blind to his own emotions.

Had he loved Kikyo? Yes, his heart answered.

Had he loved Kikyo more than Kagome?

That same heart knew that truthfully there was no basis for measurement. It was like comparing apples to oranges there were no common denominators with the single exception that both were females. What he felt for Kagome was worlds different than anything he had ever felt for Kikyo. He had been unaware that anything could be so complete, so overwhelming and at the same time so warm.

He truly loved Kagome, and now he had to convince her that she was his one - The One - because he had been an idiot.

He tensed in acknowledgement of the task before him; after all he had been very thorough in building the mountain of doubt within the small woman below. He watched her slip within the sleeping bag, and snuggle up to the kitsune for the night.

He shuffled on the branch trying to find some measure of comfort against the rough bark as his thoughts consumed him. In the beginning it had been the memory of first love, and the knowledge that even though it wasn't perfect it was a place to belong beside Kikyo, but as time went by and Kagome began to fill the emptiness and show him the true face of love; he longed for what was real, knowing he had to honor his promise of revenge if not his debt to Kikyo.

He sighed remembering what it was like to be alone in the world, to know the fear of having no one to rely upon. He knew the emptiness that gnawed at you in the silence of the night, the absence of laughter, of companionship, of not being a part of something and it drove him to seek Kikyo out when she was near, and to protect the first woman outside of his mother that had reached out to him. He could not abandon his first love to the same loneliness that had plagued him before he had found her.

His actions did not mean he loved Kikyo more, or Kagome less in truth it was a yardstick of how much Kagome had become a part of him that he was now able to understand so well. He needed to be able to save Kikyo because he knew it was a measure of the man that he wanted to be. Kagome deserved someone who was honorable, someone who was better than what he had been.

While he hoped Kagome had understood that, he knew she didn't and was hurt by it because it had all the appearance of a choice. She had not known how much he loved her, or how much she meant to him. She had not known the depth to which she had affected him nor the heart she had grown within his chest.

So she misunderstood his actions, and now when he needed her to know, to understand, she doubted and he could not blame her because he had been the baka who had nurtured that doubt through his actions and his silence.

It was a difficult habit to break, silence. In the flower village after she had rescued him from Kaou the words had stuck in his throat when she asked if he had wanted to follow Kikyo in death.

What he should have said, what he didn't say because the words would not come was while he was still reeling in guilt from Kikyo's death, and his inability to keep his promise by saving her, it had been Kagome and his desire to see her, to be with her that had brought him from the dream. If he had truly wanted to follow Kikyo, not even her voice could have saved him. But doubt, the doubt he had fostered kept her from seeing what was obvious.

He needed to fix it, he needed to fix them. Words were not going to cut it.

His senses flowed over the camp site assuring him his companions slept before he jumped down from his perch. Silently he made his way to the sleeping monk and placing his palm over the man's lips shook him awake. Eyes fluttering in alarm the monk grabbed his nearby staff and sat up rapidly. Inuyasha place his finger to his lips in an age old gesture asking for silence.

The monk nodded. Inuyasha jerked his head toward the forest and stood walking in the direction he indicated. The monk followed quietly his curiosity getting the better of him.
Their walk took then within easy sensing distance for Inuyasha but outside of their companion's hearing should they awaken.

The monk arched his brow as Inuyasha sank to the ground; following suit he laid his staff across his knees and waited quietly for the half-demon to begin.

"I need your help."

The monk smiled. "Ah"

"What?" Inuyasha fidgeted.

The monk hid his smile, "my help, hmm?"

Inuyasha sniffed the monk suspiciously, "Yea, although now that I think of it, maybe I should talk to Sango"

"No, no my good man" the monk leaned forward and halted the half-demon mid rise. "Of course I'll help you."

"You don't know what it's about yet"
"Lady Kagome?" the monk released his smile at the disgruntled surprise on the hanyou's face.

Inuyasha settled back on the ground and crossed his arms within his haori, "Feh"

"Let me see if I can interpret what you need help with," the monk settled back hands clasping his staff eyes closed in thought.

Inuyasha watched from the corner of his eye, uncertain whether he was doing the right thing, asking the right person.

"You need to find someway to convince Lady Kagome that she is your first choice, that you truly love her." the monk raised the lid of one eye, keeping the other closed, and peered at the half-demon.

Inuyasha's hands dropped his claws dragging in the soil next to his knees.

The monk closed the one eye returning to thought. Long moments of silence passed as the monk appeared deep in thought and Inuyasha churned the soil next to his legs.

"I have it" the monk slapped his knees and smiled at the half-demon. Inuyasha shuddered, unsure if it was anticipation or fear of what the monk had come up with; he watched the monk.

Miroku smiled and leaned toward the hanyou and whispered, "Court her".

Inuyasha blinked, "eh?"

"Court her" the monk straightened while repeating.

"C-c-Court?" the half-demon stuttered.

"…her" the monk finished. "you know like most men do when they're interested in a woman." He watched the varied emotions chase across the hanyou's face. This was going to require a push, "you know like Koga does"

He chortled within at the thundercloud that located itself on the half-demon's brow. "Right! How?"

Miroku froze, "How?"

Inuyasha leaned forward, "Yea, that's what I asked."

"Ummm" the monk stroked his chin "well…you could"

"No."

"What do you mean no?"

"I'm not asking her to bear my children."

"Right" the monk nodded absently, "at least not yet"

Inuyasha's brow arched.

The monk jumped, "Flowers!"

"Flowers.."

".. and touching, definitely more touching."

Inuyasha eyed the monk suspiciously.

"Oh, and sweet words… none of that cursing stuff, or yelling at her."

The half-demon dropped his head and groaned. "So what you're telling me is to not be me?"

The monk brightened, "exactly! Do everything that Inuyasha wouldn't do if he was courting a woman."

The half-demon's growl was low and threatening.

The monk paid it no mind, "That should work."

"Should?"

"He-he, well not all plans are fool proof.."

The growl grew louder.

"..and of course Kagome is pretty popular what with Koga, and that Hobo guy.."

"Monk…"

Miroku ignored the warning tone in the hanyou's voice. "…and beautiful, Kagome is a very beautiful woman." he stopped as the growl swelled and began to echo off the nearby trees.

"Court her, Inuyasha." The monk grew serious, his moment of teasing set aside. "You jumped from hurting her to telling her you loved her, it's no wonder she doubts you. You have a great deal of work to do, and you might as well start by courting her."

Inuyasha grew silent and studied the fresh soil upturned from the work of his claws.

"If she's that important to you, if you love her as much as you say you do then you will do it."

Inuyasha nodded and standing turned quietly to head back to camp.

Bemused the monk watched him. His plan was full proof. Kagome loved the half-demon, and obviously Inuyasha returned that love. They just need some space and some time to find each other. Inuyasha's courtship would give them that, plus some side entertainment for the monk. He grinned standing to follow his companion back to camp.

Miroku couldn't help the little jump and side kick as he thought of the additional benefit he would reap from Inuyasha's courtship. Sango. He knew she would be very appreciative of his help in the matter once she learned of it and he could definitely use an appreciative Sango. His grinned widened. Most definitely.

xx
x



xx
x