InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Counting the Days till Valentine's ❯ Five Days ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Shinku Katana does not own Inuyasha or any of the characters or elements from the series. The original character Mikomi and the plot are owned by Shinku Katana.

 

-------

 

COUNTING THE DAYS TILL VALENTINE'S

 

By Shinku Katana

 

Genre: Romance/Mystery

 

Rating: PG

 

Five Days

 

-------

 

Kagome walked into the school about fifteen minutes before the bell. She yawned as she opened her locker and got out her books for the day. She had gotten only a couple hours of sleep last night since she was thinking about who her secret admirer was. The conclusion she came up with so far. . . nothing. Not a clue. So far it could have been any guy as far as she was concerned.

 

She didn't see Sango so Kagome assumed that she was already in their homeroom.

 

As she started towards her first class of the day, she thought about all the possibilities again. Out of all the guys she knew, as friends she was closest to Inuyasha, Kouga and Hojo. Inuyasha was her best friend and her former crush. Not to mention that he had a girlfriend already so it probably couldn't be him unless. . . he liked her more as a friend now. Kagome shook her head. `Let's not get too hopeful now Kagome. Anyway, you're over him, remember?' Kouga, now she knew that he intended to make her "his woman" as he put it, but he didn't seem like the type to write poems or love letters. He had never been shy about his feelings towards her so why would he suddenly write a letter? `That's possible since he hates to get all mushy and stuff, but writing love letters is a long shot,' Kagome mused. The one most likely to send her the gifts was Hojo. Hojo was sweet and he always looked out for her health. Giving her gloves so that her hands wouldn't freeze would count. Kagome sighed. She had told him that she didn't like her any more than a friend would but didn't he accept that fact? And what if the secret admirer was somebody else altogether?

 

Kagome was so lost in thought that she bumped right into somebody and fell. That person caught her wrist before she landed on the floor.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't see where I was going," Kagome said quickly, eyes on the floor, a bit embarrassed by the situation.

 

"That's all right. I wasn't looking where I was going either."

 

Kagome lifted her head when she recognized the voice.

 

"Sesshoumaru."

 

Kagome was a little shocked to say the least. Sesshoumaru was the last person she'd think would admit a fault. Inuyasha's older brother was, as Inuyasha put it, the coldest most arrogant person on the planet. And from what she had known about him, that statement seemed to be true. For being one of the most popular guys in the school, being an athlete, an intelligent person and a "pretty boy", the senior certainly wasn't very sociable. She had met him last year when she joined the art club. She had tried to make friends with him even though she had noticed that almost everybody, except for the popular girls, had tried to stay away from him. She couldn't blame them though. That guy could freeze you with his glare alone. At first it was difficult to get him to open up to her, but he came around slowly. He still wasn't very talkative now, but at least he did acknowledge her presence.

 

Sesshoumaru let go of her wrist and replied in his normal emotionless voice, "I've got to go," and walked off towards his own homeroom.

 

`Could he be my secret admirer?' Kagome thought. `Naah!' She dismissed that thought immediately.

 

When Kagome entered her classroom, she found a group of her classmates, mostly girls surrounding her desk. Kagome pretty much pushed herself to her seat. Once again her blue-gray eyes widened.

 

This time there was a white rose, in full bloom, and a book, which was titled, "The White Rose" and was historical fiction, her favourite genre. A red ribbon tied the gifts together along with a sealed envelope with her name in the front. Kagome opened, and noticed that it was of the same style as before. The note read:

 

~Kagome
The book is one of my favorites; I hope you like it as much as I did.
The rose reminded me of you. Your purity, your innocence. . .
I have but one wish: will you go to the dance with me?
If you accept, wear the white rose in your hair some time tomorrow.
I will see you and know then.

 

"Oh that is SO romantic! You're so lucky Kagome," Yuki, one of Kagome's friends squealed excitedly, after reading over her shoulder.

 

Sango nodded. "Jeez his guy must really love you to go through this. You know that poems and love letters aren't exactly a "guy thing" if you know what I mean."

 

The girls who crowded around her desk sighed dreamily after one of the girls snatched the letter and read it out loud. The guys who overheard rolled their eyes at the girls.

 

The bell rang at that moment so no more comments were shared as their teacher instructed them to read a chapter and answer the questions for the class.

 

Kouga came in a few minutes after the bell and shot an apology glance at the English teacher, who nodded and marked him late. As Kouga walked to his seat, he winked at Kagome like he always did and then got to work on the assignment.

 

-------

 

Lunch was the usual with the exception that Kagome could almost feel everyone staring at her or talking about her.

 

By the time she had gotten to her history class earlier one of the only classes besides gym that she shared with Inuyasha, Inuyasha had already heard about her secret admirer and asked her to meet him at the oak tree in the school yard after lunch. They didn't have any time to talk to each other since the teacher had them working as soon as they took their seats.

 

Now standing by the oak tree, Kagome spotted Inuyasha jogging to her.

 

Kagome expected Inuyasha to give her a `lecture' about dating guys not `right' for her and to act like the big brother and be so protective like he always was when Kouga or Hojo was around. To her surprise:

 

"Hey Kagome. So who do you think your secret admirer is?" he said with a smile.

 

`Now,' Kagome said in her head, `either Inuyasha's totally lost it or he could be truly happy for me that some guy happened to like me.' Kagome studied Inuyasha's face. `I think he's lost it.'

 

"Kagome?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"Did you hear me? I said -"

 

"I know what you said," Kagome interrupted.

 

"So. . .?"

 

"Oh. Well I. . . don't know yet. Nor do I have any ideas at the moment."

 

Inuyasha gave her a mischievous smirk. "Let me read the note. Maybe I'll have some idea." He held out his hand.

 

Kagome blushed slightly but he noticed. "No."

 

"Come on, Kagome. I know most of the guys in the school. So maybe I'll be able to tell."

 

"What's with you today?" Kagome asked, changing the subject. "It's Monday, so you shouldn't be that happy."

 

That got Inuyasha to stop bothering her for a moment. If possible his grin grew wider. "That's because I just broke up with Kikyo this morning."

 

"What?"

 

"You heard me."

 

"What about your dad? Didn't he want you to keep dating her?"

 

"Nope, her dad is a big thief. My dad hired some investigators after hearing some rumors about Kikyo's father and apparently he had cheated anybody who had ever worked with him. That's not good for my dad and his company's reputation, so. . . the rest is history."

 

The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period. The two friends waved goodbye to one another, neither aware of the person who watched them from afar.

 

-------

 

For the rest of the day, Kagome grew increasingly uncomfortable with the amount of questions she was bombarded with, especially from people she didn't even know. In gym class, when the teachers decided to combine the girls and boys gym classes, Kagome felt Kikyo's glare as she and Inuyasha were put on the same team against hers and won. She only saw Hojo and Kouga long enough only to say hi to them later that day. Her last class, which was an advanced visual arts class, was uneventful although she noticed that Sesshoumaru was sneaking a glance at her every few minutes. But then again. . . so was everybody else in the class.

 

By the end of the day, there was still one question to be answered:

 

Should she go to the Valentine's Day dance with her secret admirer?

 

-------