InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Counting the Days till Valentine's ❯ Four Days ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Shinku Katana does not own Inuyasha or any of the characters or elements from the series. The original character Mikomi and the plot are owned by Shinku Katana.

 

-------

 

COUNTING THE DAYS TILL VALENTINE'S

 

By Shinku Katana

 

Genre: Romance/Mystery

 

Rating: PG

 

Four Days

 

-------

 

It was now Tuesday and already Kagome had a feeling that it was gonna be a LONG week. For starters it had been exactly three days ago when she had first heard of her secret admirer, although `secret' is probably not the best way to put it since practically the whole school knew about her situation. It wasn't that she didn't like having someone in her life who cared about her that way. It was just that she was beginning to feel like she was being watched all the time, what with the girls asking her if she had received any more gifts and the guys glancing at her from time to time. And just yesterday the secret admirer asked her to go to the dance with him and sending another chain in the web of gossip circulating around the school in the process.

 

Kagome stuffed her notebooks that she didn't need for the day in her locker, shaking her head at the mess inside, and organizing some of Inuyasha's stuff which mostly consisted of a basketball, a binder with loose sheets of paper inside, an old banana peel (`Eewww,' Kagome thought as she tossed it in a nearby trash can.), his gym bag, some peppermint gum, and a pair of mud covered sneakers. The freshmen and the sophomores had to share lockers because of the large number of students in the school, while the juniors and seniors had their own so Inuyasha and Kagome shared this one, although to her, it looked more like junk city than a school locker.

 

Just as Kagome closed her locker, Sango hurried up to her. It was still ten minutes before they had to go to their first class so Kagome was puzzled, wondering why Sango would be so eager to talk to her.

 

"Hey Kagome!" Sango took a second to catch her breath.

 

"Hey Sango! What's up?"

 

"Nothing much. Just that I've wanted to talk to you all day yesterday."

 

"Really? Well yeah the teachers were pretty much swamping us with so much work. . ."

 

"So Kagome. Are you gonna accept?" Sango interrupted, obviously getting straight to the point.

 

"Accept what?" Kagome asked anyway, even though she knew what her friend was talking about.

 

"Accept your secret admirer's invitation, of course. What else would I be talking about?" Sango gave her a mock tired look and put her hands on her hips.

 

Kagome had thought about that for a LONG while yesterday. She hesitated a bit before she answered.

 

"I don't think I should. I mean I don't even know him. . ."

 

Sango fell down anime style.

 

"Kagome! Where's your sense of adventure? You're not gonna get anywhere if `playing safe' is all you do."

 

Kagome shrugged. Apparently she had forgotten how much of a risk taker Sango was. Add that to Sango ability to persuade people, or manipulate, as Kagome liked to put it at times, and the result was one girl you should stay away from when she's got ideas.

 

"Sango. . ."

 

"Kagome, look at it this way. You secret admirer could be somebody you know. Then you have nothing to worry about."

 

"What if he's not?"

 

"What are the chances of that? Most people wouldn't fall in love on the basis of appearances alone. . ." Sango stopped, seeing Kagome's eyebrow rising. "The girls who follow Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha and Kouga like leeches all day don't count. Okay so we'll say SENSIBLE people." They both giggled at that.

 

"Sango, what if it's some guy I only like as a-"

 

"Friend?" her friend interrupted. "Look Kagome, how do you know that this guy isn't worth knowing? Give him a chance. Take it slow."

 

"I'm not sure-"

 

"Kagome," Sango said in a stern voice. "You're going to that dance with this guy, if it's the last thing I do."

 

Kagome sighed. There's nothing she could do to change Sango's mind once it's made up. `Stubborn girl.' She knew when to give in.

 

Sango threw a triumphant grin when she saw that her friend conceded.

 

Kagome threw a smirk of her own. "You know Sango, you sound like my mother when you talk to me like that." Kagome ran, laughing, and Sango told her to shut up, while chasing her all the way to their classroom. Kagome had grabbed the white rose, making sure that she didn't damage it and tucked it in her hair behind her ear.

 

-------

 

For some reason the teachers had decided to give their students more work as a `balance' for all the fun they'll have at the dance so they had to have some misery. So English and history class provided no time for socializing at all, much to Kagome's relief. She was already beginning to tire of all the gossip about her and her `mystery man' and it was only Tuesday.

 

Inuyasha seemed back to `normal' as Kagome put it. At lunch, he sat with her, growling when Kouga winked at her and when Hojo walked even within ten feet of her. He was back to being the protective guy that he was.

 

In gym, things started to get more interesting. . .

 

-------

 

"Hello class," Ms. Tsuyama addressed the students after they all changed into t-shirts and shorts. "Today since you've done so well in the last unit, we'll do something completely different that we usually don't get to do until spring: archery." There were no cheers since most of the girls in that class sucked at the sport. "Keep in mind that it's only for one day until spring, so have fun."

 

The majority groaned when the equipment was set up. It was still cold outside so they were going to shoot inside the gym.

 

Ms. Tsuyama helped the girls who did not even know how to hold a bow and arrow properly. Once that task was done, she shouted, "All right girls! Now I want you to aim for the small circle. That is your target. GO!"

 

The arrows flew across the gym, some landing on the floor, some landing on the outer most rings. Only two had actually shot through the air and got in the circle, both of them dead centre.

 

"Kikyo! Kagome!" Ms. Tsuyama was impressed. "I must say, that was the best display of archery skills I've ever seen. Care to put your skills to a little competition?"

 

Kikyo gave the other girl her ice-cold glare that was guaranteed to faze any lesser girl. Kagome however was not a lesser girl and matched Kikyo's glare.

 

"You're going down Higurashi," Kikyo hissed.

 

"I doubt it," Kagome replied with confidence. Kagome wasn't afraid of showing Kikyo exactly how she felt for the other girl. Kikyo had insulted her many times. Kagome was just being nice to her because Inuyasha was dating her. Now that he wasn't well... she had no reason to hold the insults back if she needed to use them.

 

And off they went. They shot arrow after arrow, each locked dead centre of the targets. By that time, the guys had been dismissed from their gym class and came to watch the spectacle, along with some students who were passing by. Among the watchers were Sango, Miroku, Kouga, Inuyasha, Hojo and Sesshoumaru.

 

Kikyo suddenly noticed her ex-boyfriend was watching her and was distracted for a moment, long enough for the arrow to slip a little from her fingers. The arrow was shot and landed in one of the closer rings but outside of the intended target.

 

Ms. Tsuyama blew her whistle and said, "Well done girls. You've done well. Since it's time, class dismissed."

 

Kagome's friends patted her on the back, along with most of her classmates and the spectators. Kouga pushed his way right into the crowd.

 

"Kagome, that was pretty impressive there." He smiled while several girls sighed dreamily.

 

"Thanks Kouga."

 

"Say, would you like to go to the Valentine's dance with me?"

 

Before Kagome could say anything, Sango shouted, pushing her way through, "She's already got a date for the dance."

 

Kouga didn't seem affected by the statement at all, much to Kagome's surprise. "Ok so I'll see ya then." He turned and left. `Then again he could be hiding his disappointment,' Kagome thought. `He's good at hiding things when he wants to.' She saw Inuyasha turning away from the crowd and following after Kouga. `Probably gonna tell him to stay away from me,' she mused.

 

Miroku congratulated her and placed one hand on Sango's shoulder, the other hand on her butt. A loud SLAP could be heard and it was emphasized by the gym's echoes, then followed by Kagome's laughing, also emphasized.

 

Hojo gave her a thumbs-up sign from his position and left as well. She did not see Sesshoumaru. `He must have left right after.'

 

-------

 

Kikyo seethed as everybody came to congratulate Kagome. She absolutely HATED her. Kagome was the reason she lost Inuyasha. Why else would he dump her? She knew that Kagome and Inuyasha were close friends. `As far as dating was concerned, they're probably not far from it.' Her hard brown eyes narrowed as she clenched her fists.

 

`Inuyasha is mine and I'm the best at archery. Kagome would pay dearly for my humiliation.'

-------

 

Kagome did not see Sesshoumaru in her advanced visuals arts class, making her wonder where he could have gone, especially since she had never seen him miss a class before.

 

`Maybe something important came up.' She shrugged as she got back to her sketch.

 

After art class, which was her last class, Kagome walked casually out of the classroom, ignoring those who ran out, obviously not in any hurry to go home. Especially knowing that there were piles of homework for her to do that night.

 

Kagome found herself once again at her locker. She and Inuyasha rarely meet at their locker at the same time because of his various sports activities in the mornings and after school. Kagome had art club tomorrow after school and band rehearsal in the mornings.

 

Remembering the locker's physical state that morning, she made a mental note to tell Inuyasha to clean up their locker before it turned into a trash heap.

 

Kagome was once again caught off-guard as a yellow rose in full bloom, a red rose bud and a letter sitting neatly on top of her notebooks came into her view when she opened the locker. The locker was cleaned out and everything was in order. Kagome had to question herself whether this was her locker or not as she closed it. Her attention turned to the flowers. Once again the letter had her name on it in calligraphy and the roses were tied together with a ribbon, this time with a blue ribbon. She opened the envelope carefully. It read:

 

~My dearest Kagome,
The yellow rose is the friendship that we have...
The red rose bud is the love I want to bloom.
I'm so glad you've decided to go to the dance with me.
Just arrive at the dance on Saturday and I'll find you and reveal myself when the time is right.
You'll know who I am.
Until then my sweet.~

 

Kagome rubbed the petals of the white rose in her hair with her fingers. She had forgotten about it for a while.

 

She shrieked when Sango seemed to pop over her shoulder in her vision.

 

Kagome put a hand to her heart. "Sango don't scare me like that. You wanna give me a premature heart attack or something?"

 

Sango just grinned. Kagome got suspicious and grew increasingly uncomfortable as Sango paced around her, not speaking a word. Without warning, Sango grabbed Kagome's arm and dashed out of the school.

 

"Aaahhh! Sango what-?"

 

"Hurry Kagome! We only have so little time to pick a dress for you at the mall!"

 

"But I already have-"

 

"Kagome you're not getting your only dress. That dull one. You need something new!" When Kagome looked like she was about to protest, Sango gave her her best intimidating look. "Don't argue with me."

 

Kagome's last thought as they practically flew into the bus was, `she freaks me out so often, she scares me.'

 

-------

 

Here are the responses:

 

Email:

 

Jerry & Debbie McCormack: I'm glad you loved my fic.

 

Fanfiction.net

 

b00kperson, Stacerue, Sentinal-Breeze, lady scorpio: Thanks for your comments!

 

MENace tenCHI: Who said it couldn't be Hojo? It could very well be with the way my fic is going. Lol.

 

Katana and Li: One of you may be right. You may both be wrong. Trust me no one will know for sure until Valentine's Day. Hence the mystery part. I won't say anymore.

 

kawaii-syaoran713: To be honest, I'm not too fond of Valentine's Day either but it doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with that idea. :)

 

wigwasawigamig: What will you do if it's not? IF that is. You'll just hafta wait for to know.

 

Kagome1514: Please tell me who you think the admirer is. I want to know. Oh and about your stories. . . I'll see if I can read them when I have more free time okay?

 

c-dog: Most people seem to be guessing Inuyasha. Hmm? Is it him? Or is it someone else? I may have made it obvious or less obvious or maybe not just to confuse you.

 

hey: I certainly didn't expect someone to analysis my fic THAT much. Your explanations are very good though and they make a lot of sense. Your conclusion makes sense as well seeing that most of the reviewers thought the secret admirer was him as well. Is he? I'm not gonna tell you. You'll find out on Valentine's Day.

 

wingweaver: You know you're the first person who said that they thought it was Sesshoumaru. Maybe. . . maybe not. Me no tell. For now that is.

 

Lilanimatedgirlinred: Not telling who the admirer is until he reveals himself. Frankly I'm not much of a flower person so roses was the most original flower I could come up with. Lol. Just because I don't know flowers doesn't mean I'm that ignorant about them.

 

GundamXg: I'm gonna involve all the candidates more just to throw you people off the track. Lol. I think it's funny to see how Inuyasha reacts.

 

Mediaminer.org

 

Kellie, Judy Blume, CallMeKitsune, inuyashakagomelover, AnimeFreakNikore: Thank you for your comments!

 

chickenlover2: Thanks! Oh I'll see if I can read your fics when I have free time. Don't expect it until at least a couple of days though.

 

Fountain Girl: Please tell me who you had in mind for the secret admirer in the beginning? Who are the two guys you were referring to? Glad you enjoyed my fic by the way.

 

Unicorn rider**and inu-yasha**: You've just pretty much named most of the candidates. Lol. Do you have an idea as to who Kagome's mystery man is?

 

Vagabond: Oh do you now? Let me see who you think is the secret admirer. Love the ratings you gave me. Thank you. And no, Inuyasha is not completely out of the picture yet. He may not even be. You'll just have to see.

 

wigwasawigamig: didn't you review in ff.net as well? You must really like this fic. Thanks for reviewing here too.

 

Well that pretty much covers it. This chapter is extra long even without the responses. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts as to who YOU think the admirer is.

 

Until next update,

 

Shinku Katana