InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Counting the Days till Valentine's ❯ Three Days ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Shinku Katana does not own Inuyasha or any of the characters or elements from the series. The original character Mikomi and the plot are owned by Shinku Katana.

 

-------

 

COUNTING THE DAYS TILL VALENTINE'S

 

By Shinku Katana

 

Genre: Romance/Mystery

 

Rating: PG

 

Three Days

 

-------

 

Exhaustion. That was the first word that ran in her mind as soon as she stepped into her English class and plopped down on the seat, laying her head on her arms on her desk that Wednesday morning. Sango had taken her to a `dress-shopping extravaganza', as Sango liked to call it. They had gone shopping for hours, from three in the afternoon to eight in the evening. Kagome called it a `shopping disaster'.

 

Sango had learned long ago that her friend did not like spending way too much time other than when it's absolutely necessary at the mall. As a result, Sango practically had to drag Kagome to every clothing store and push her into the fitting rooms. Kagome was very picky about her clothes as well, which had made Sango's task more difficult. In the end, they had been able to agree on the dress they picked for Kagome. But by the time they got home, they were so tired that neither of them cared about their homework and just went right to sleep.

 

Sango came in just as the bell rang and taken her seat, looking as tired as Kagome. They never had any time to talk because their teacher began lecturing about anaphoras.

 

-------

 

"Hands off." Kagome swatted Inuyasha's hand away when he attempted to steal some fries from her lunch.

 

"Oww, Kagome! You didn't have to hit me." Inuyasha pouted as Kagome raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

 

"Yeah right. This is what? The twentieth time now? At this rate, I'll have nothing left to eat."

 

"But I'm still hungry!" he protested.

 

"Go buy a chocolate bar or something."

 

"Aww you're no fun Kagome." Inuyasha smirked then threw a fry at her.

 

"HEY! INUYASHA!" Kagome brushed off the crumbs in her hair as Inuyasha threw two more fries at her and laughed.

 

"That's VERY mature, Inuyasha," said somebody in a sarcastic tone.

 

Inuyasha instantly stopped laughing and scowled.

 

"Shut up, Sesshoumaru! Who asked you to be here?"

 

Sesshoumaru ignored him. He raised an eyebrow at Kagome, who blushed, obviously embarrassed as he picked up a fry from her hair. He was careful to show no amusement.

 

"Hey icy! I'm talking to you!"

 

Sesshoumaru gave his brother one of his coldest glares he was famous for, no doubt that look earned him the nickname "ice prince" in the school. Sesshoumaru absolutely HATED it when Inuyasha choose to call him, "icy" instead. Inuyasha could not help but shiver at least a bit, but he stood his ground. He did shut up though.

 

"NEVER call me that again or the consequences WILL be fatal," Sesshoumaru threatened, each word sending chills up his brother and Kagome's spines.

 

Inuyasha's gaze to the older sibling wavered visibly but he managed a "Feh," then said as calmly as he could, "Let's go, Kagome." Then he broke his gaze and walked towards the gym.

 

Kagome muttered a quick hello to Sesshoumaru, still shaken by slightly his ice-cold glare.

 

-------

 

Nothing of interest really happened during gym, except for the fact that Kagome found out that the other fry Inuyasha had thrown at her had ketchup in it and stuck to her hair. Unfortunately she had found out the hard way when Yuki asked her why part of her head looked like it was painted on. The result was the entire class laughing at her. Fortunately Kikyo was absent that day so Kagome had no trouble from her. Which was good considering Kikyo would probably make fun of her for days.

 

Kagome continued her oil painting assignment as soon as she got seated for the advanced visual arts class. She loved art. She loved the ways in which the colors can complement one another, how a scene can be captured with a simple picture, how the colors and the way the art is made contributes to the mood of the piece. . . the list goes on.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Huh?" Kagome was startled by the voice suddenly peaking its way into her thoughts. She had been so deep, thinking and working on her painting.

 

Sesshoumaru, who had taken the seat next to her when she wasn't paying attention, cleared his throat. "I. . . apologize for my behavior at lunch. I had not meant to be rude." His eyes softened a bit to ease her nervousness.

 

Kagome, who was definitely NOT expecting for the "ice prince" to talk to her much less apologize to her, stuttered out, "T-t-that's all r-right." She turned her attention back to her painting before she could make a bigger fool out of herself in front of Inuyasha's brother.

 

Sesshoumaru could have killed himself for the next thing to come out of his mouth was, "No that's not all right. Please accept my apology. That's not how I normally am."

 

`No argument there,' she thought a bit bitterly. Out loud she replied, "Then I accept." The guy seemed to relax a little, probably relieved.

 

She couldn't resist asking him the question that had been bugging her all day. "Sesshoumaru, where were you during art class yesterday?"

 

Sesshoumaru, who had turned to work on his own painting, answered her without hesitation. "The principal wanted to talk to me about the high possibility of getting a full scholarship to any university for my achievements." His voice went up a notch; the pride was all too noticeable in his voice.

 

`Arrogant cad,' Kagome thought amusingly. "Yes I'm sure the GREAT Sesshoumaru can get anything he wants," she said dramatically and sarcastically at the same time. She also threw her hands towards him in the same way as one would when presenting an important person or an expensive prize.

 

Sesshoumaru gave her one of his rare half smiles and replied, "You've got something right. . . for once."

 

Kagome just stuck her tongue out at him.

 

-------

 

When the bell rang, everybody left except for the students that were staying for the art club, which included Kagome and Sesshoumaru. Their paintings were still on the boards, the students having left the paintings to dry.

 

Kagome proudly looked over her "masterpiece" unaware that someone else at that moment was observing HER.

 

-------

 

`He doesn't deserve you, Kagome. Why can't you see that I care about you?' he thought.

 

-------

 

Kagome was once again startled when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." The guy smiled at her.

 

"That's ok, Hojo."

 

"Is that painting yours? It's beautiful."

 

"Yes it is. Oh and where DID you come from?"

 

Hojo grinned. "You sound like I just popped out of thin air. Actually, I came in here to get some materials to decorate one of the gyms for the Valentine's Day dance. I'm on the dance committee."

 

Before Kagome could reply, someone interrupted them.

 

"Hey Kagome," Inuyasha said as he panted, having to run from the third floor where his last class, math, was to the art room which was on the first floor.

 

"Hi Inuyasha. Shouldn't you be getting to practice right about now?"

 

"Feh. I'll find some excuse."

 

"What are YOU doing here Inuyasha?" Sesshoumaru said, scowling, as he placed his own painting on a board. He had remained silent when Kagome and Hojo were talking.

 

"What? Can't a guy stop by to see his best friend? Gee, it's nice to see you too big BROTHER."

 

"Let's not start this now please," Kagome almost pleaded, having gotten tired of their petty fights.

 

Inuyasha nodded. "I agree. Sesshoumaru's not worth the effort." Inuyasha's ego boasted a lot when his brother's eyes narrowed. "Wow Kagome. You've really got artistic talent. I give this painting a full five star rating!" He waved his arms dramatically and finished off with a silly thumbs-up sign pose.

 

"Inuyasha, stop embarrassing me!" Kagome clamped a hand over Inuyasha's mouth, blushing. While it was true that she was proud of her art, she was modest and Inuyasha blabbing for the whole world to come see her painting was definitely NOT a good idea to her.

 

Hojo said, "Well he is right Kagome. That IS by far the best painting I've ever seen."

 

`Then obviously YOU'VE never seen much paintings,' Sesshoumaru thought. He didn't say this out loud to prevent insulting Kagome. To Hojo and Inuyasha, he said in his usual emotionless voice, "Yes we all know that Kagome's painting is impressive. Hojo, I suggest you get the materials you need and go back to the gym as quickly as possible. And Inuyasha, go to practice before the coach puts you off the team."

 

Both Inuyasha and Hojo humphed, but they did as Sesshoumaru said, knowing what they needed to do has to be done.

 

-------

 

When art club was over for the day, Kagome's head was down as she walked with Sesshoumaru to the parking lot. At Sesshoumaru's suggestion, the art club had decided what they wanted to paint on the wall just outside the office. With the principal's permission they were now able to decorate that space but until then they hadn't thought of a suitable picture. They had been so impressed with Kagome's painting that they only took a few seconds to respond. Surprise, surprise. They had chosen Kagome's painting. No one could blame them though. Sesshoumaru himself was quite intrigued by it. The painting was of Feudal Japan, its mountains, sunset, villages and a large white dog overlooking the scene on a cliff was beautifully captured in brilliant use of oil brushes. Needless to say, it was breathtaking.

 

Sesshoumaru had asked Kagome if she would like a ride home and she said yes after he told her it was no trouble at all. Kagome briefly wondered why the guys were giving her rides lately.

 

They hopped into his new gold Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and off they went. Conversation was quiet be not uncomfortable. It only took a few minutes for Kagome to arrive home.

 

She thanked Sesshoumaru and she climbed up the stairs. For the first time in that busy day, she thought about her secret admirer again and if she could accept the fact that he loved her.

 

-------