InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Déjà-vu ❯ Refreshing Memories ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Why the hell do I keep having these strange ideas o.O I really do not want to scare off anybody, but this story is going to become similarly if not even a little more complex than IAON. I really should be wondering about my sanity right now, but anyway ……… I got this little idea kind ……… out of the blue and I immediately liked it ^^

Besides ……… all those, who are wondering about the pairing ( strange ……… normally, I never give that sort of thing away - what's gone into me o.O ), it's going to be ……… sort of ……… Inu/Kag. "Sort of?" Yeah, there is no other way for me to describe it.

Still, I hope you enjoy it; the storyline should be a lot easier ( than IAON ) to understand, even though it's not too revealing, or so I think ……… tell me what you think ^^ *innocently waving a pole behind the back*

Rating: Should stay this way ^^

Disclaimer: No, I'm stubborn. Even those policemen cannot force me

……… no, these sticks cannot either ……… well, I guess I can live without food for a while ………

NO!! NOT HIM!! NOOOO!!! Okay, I admit! I ADMIT EVERYTHING! I DON'T OWN HIM, BUT

PLEASE DON'T TAKE INU YASHA AWAY FROM ME!! Say something ……… You enjoyed the little

Dress-up thingies, didn't you ………? Hey, where're you goin'? You can't leave me like this, now

can you?! Not after what happened?! Well, obviously you can ……… COME BACK NOW!!

I guess I've gone a little over top, now haven't I ^.~

P.S.: Don't force your characters to do things, you might regret in the end.

Chapter I

Refreshing Memories

She froze in place and desperately wanted to drop the earpiece, as if it was hot iron, but she couldn't. Her hand turned cold and sweaty and cooled the radiating heat ……… unfortunately.

"Honey, please. Come back home. I miss you. We miss you ……… especially daddy - "

However, strangely enough, Kagome suddenly found an adequate amount of strength to be able to yell back ……… fiercely:

"Well, it's a little late for that, isn't it?!"

"I told you, we didn't mean it - "

"And that's going to change - what? What exactly is that going to change?! You're not giving up on the things you expect me to do, are you?! Unless I've missed something vital here!"

However, the silence she received perfectly served her as an answer ……… and as an excuse to smash the earpiece back into place without feeling guilty for cutting off her mother.

Why the hell did she feel so anyway?! It wasn't like this was her fault.

She let herself fall on the couch with a painful growl, before burying her head in her hands. Her raven-coloured hair got entangled with her fingers and she felt countless strands pouring through her fists ……… and there was nothing she could about it.

Sometimes things tend to pour through your hands like water and there is nothing your can do to prevent it. Forming a bowl would only buy a short amount of time ……… and drinking it would only make everything worse.

Kagome felt the sensation of a lump forming in her throat ……… No. She was mistaken. It was the jewel, painfully pressing against the tender skin under the jumper. She let go of her hair and caught the rather large orb in her right hand, as she rid herself off the pullover.

From the looks of it, it could have been a cheap glass marble. It was far too bright and its pink colour shimmered even more, once it was held against light. She adored it, while everybody desperately told her to get rid of it - once and for all. Her common sense agreed with them, would agree with her going back to the shrine and would surely pressurise her to abandon Tokyo and this crazy - no, maniacal - idea and to return to her roots and her well-thought-out life.

However, when had she ever been listening to her common sense? This was not common! And this surely didn't make any sense!! So why did nobody at least try to accept her choice?

Kagome heaved a deep sigh and placed the shikon no tama in front of her on the common room table. She didn't take her eyes off it, as she leaned back and drove her hands through her mane once again.

They were right about one issue, though.

Normally, she should have hated this thing.

She should have gotten rid of it. Not ( only ) because they wanted her to, but because she shouldn't have been supposed to stand its existence, the things it reminded her off ………

Well, how was she supposed to explain her sudden change of heart? They knew she wasn't that kind of volatile girl. They were bound to believe that she was lying, even though she wasn't. She truly wasn't, despite the fact that it went against her nature.

Nevertheless ……… a kiss and beautiful words would cause anybody's heart to leap, wouldn't they ………?

Feelings were unpredictable anyway.

Kagome decided to have a cup of tea.

She would just drown her thoughts with some exquisite Chinese Tea. Yeah ……… that was exactly what she needed right now. Thinking of and looking forward to something that was part of her new life and didn't remind her of anything at all.

Kagome had started to take particular enjoyment in that, ever since she'd tried it about half a year ago. It had been by complete coincidence, but she was grateful for that. And grateful for Xiao Xia who had introduced her to it -

The persistent ringing tone of her mobile finally managed to tear her out of her daydreams.

She got it, already knowing who it was, since they weren't many people that called her and she'd just cut off one half, so that only left ………

"Kago-chan? You there?"

"No, it's Santa Clause answering."

"Well, you're a little late for that. And in the wrong country by the way, too."

"Shut up. In his holidays, he needs to work somewhere in order to keep himself busy!"

"Anyway, lend him to me, when he's done over there with you."

Kagome made a snort in response, originally meaning 'as if', but Xiao Xia just ignored it and went on.

"Where are you? I've been waiting for you for the past half an hour! I tried to reach you at home, but your phone was engaged. Did you call anyone? Besides, you could have warned me."

Kagome could literally see Xiao Xia pouting and slightly cursed herself under her breath.

"Sorry, but I didn't have this planned. My mother called and ……… well, I got a little carried away."

Xiao Xia's understanding and soothing silence made up for anybody that wronged her.

"You'd like me to come over?"

"No, it's okay. You've waited long enough. Just gimme five minutes." Kagome said and smiled, before she received a happy "Sure" and switched off her phone.

~~*~*~~

To be truthful, there was only Xiao Xia who had been to her apartment before, despite her having lived there now long enough. Basically, she should have known a good handful of friendly people. Tokyo wasn't your average capital city - that was at least what Kagome thought. She'd met plenty of interesting individuals. However, she just couldn't help it.

Within barely a year the only person that had gotten close to her was Xiao Xia.

Her family didn't even know her regular address.

She was quite ashamed of that.

And quite ashamed of the fact that she was ashamed and not able to be nasty at at least one point in her life.

~~*~*~~

"Actually ……… d'you know how pathetic you are?"

"Well, thanks for that little compliment", she spat daringly in response.

"That wasn't supposed to be a compliment - "

She just rolled her eyes.

"Sometimes I wish your brain would be at least tenth of the size of your ego. Then the world would be graced with another super genius."

"Nice try. That one at least. Next time, try not to sound so very soph ……… suphi ………"

"Sophisticated."

"Superior."
She gave up. Inu Yasha definitely wasn't worth it.

"Oh, that is so typically you. Whenever there is a problem, that demands a little bit of stamina - "

"I didn't even know you knew that word."

"Feh!" He turned to look the other way.

"Miroku taught you?"

He didn't answer and left Kaede's hut, but not without a rather quiet "Keh!"

Kagome smiled placidly, feeling all warm inside. Not because of what he'd said, but because of the motives that had made him say it ………

~~*~*~~

Kagome smiled placidly at the thought of him. This time not only because of those motives, but also because of what he'd said. She missed that ……… and what it'd meant to her ………

And she knew she'd been wrong. He already had been a super genius, concerning the fact that he'd hit her problem dead on.

"Kago-chan?"

"Hm?"

"You're spilling your milkshake."

"Oh." Kagome glanced at her wrist and the table and she realised that she hadn't actually sipped anything, but poured air into her drink for the sake of the bubbles. She'd started doing that whenever she got nervous. Something she'd adopted from Xiao Xia.

"Hm ……… you know ………?"

"Yeah?" Her best friend's chin long, black hair gently poured over her ears and started to shimmer softly in the sunlight, her slight red dye becoming even more visible. An effect Xiao Xia was quite proud off.

"You think I don't have enough stamina?"

She blinked repeatedly, indicating her momentary speechlessness. Kagome awaited an answer.

"You know, Kago-chan ……… I think you're just too gentle to be nasty - "

"I didn't ask you, if I was able to be nasty. I wanted to know, if I have enough stamina!" Kagome interrupted impatiently.

"If you ask me - and you're asking me - I believe the two are very closely related", she answered with a wink, ignoring her offended friend.

Hmm ……… It felt good, having a friend who was completely different from anybody she'd met so far. But there were just times that made her more open to memories. Xiao Xia could have never been compared to Eri, Yuka and Ayumi, Kagome's old companions - best friends actually. They'd shared everything. Thoughts, Laughs, homework ……… Sometimes it proposed to be increasingly difficult for Kagome to tear her nostalgic feelings away from thinking about them. While other school friends stopped talking to each other as for reasons of betrayal, disinterest, indifference etc., nothing of these issues had ever shadowed the relationship she'd shared with her friends of this time. It was just ……… they did not understand. Could not understand. Kagome didn't blame them. Kagome also didn't blame them for wanting to move on. To spend most of the times talking about matters that were real and existent and ……… provable. Kagome couldn't have possibly presented any proof for her continuous travels through time and the visits she paid her beloved Sengoku Jidai ……… and her beloved friends ……… and dear ones.

The girl nodded dully, being completely absorbed in thought, before continuing to create noisy milkshake bubbles, earning irritated stares from the neighbouring tables.

"Kago-chan ……… something's bothering you, right? You'd tell me, if it was serious?"

"Sure", she answered far too quickly and received a doubting look that made her cower.

"We're friends, right?"

"Sure, we are", Kagome smiled, meaning every word.

"Anyway, I thought we should talk about two rather important issues."

Xiao Xia straightened and continued in business-like fashion:

"First", she raised her index finger to reassure the seriousness of her words, "Have you done your research - and more importantly ……… have you improved your final work?"

Kagome flinched under her words, but nodded, nonetheless.

"Yeah, I have. It should be acceptable by now - "

"We're not aiming for 'acceptable' here", Xiao Xia cut her short and continued after taking a deep breath, "I want you to hand in the 'perfect' project - "

"But you know yourself how demanding they are." Kagome was near to frustration. Xiao Xia simply played in a completely different league. Why couldn't she come down to her level? For just five minutes? Only for so long until she'd be able to understand her?

"I know. That's why we need to impress them."

"By 'we' you mean 'me'?"

"Well ……… yeah. I'm nearly done with my degree."

"I really don't know why I took this on me anyway. I'm not even the type for this kind of stuff ………"

"That's what you just keep telling yourself! Or do you want to go back home?"

"No." was the bold reply, for which Kagome didn't require a lot of thinking.

"See. Now's the time you can prove that you got stamina after all."

Kagome returned the smile only half-heartedly, but Xiao Xia didn't seem to have noticed. She was too caught up in dwelling on her triumph for two seconds, before moving on towards the second issue.

"So ……… you already found a purchaser for that thing?"

"You know, Xiao ……… I think I'm not going to sell it after all - " Kagome's slender hand cupped the orb on her collarbone, even though it was well-hidden under the blouse.

"Pardon?! Kagome, you know how much this little thing screws you up?"

Kagome cringed, but didn't let go of the shikon. In fact, she held it even closer.

"It means a lot to me and because of it I keep remembering - "

"That's right! That's exactly the point I'm talking about!"

Xiao Xia received her first confused gaze, today.

"You bath in your memories. You don't enjoy them and use them to dwell in a nice present and to hope for a pleasant future! You live in your memories! Why do you think you only have me as a friend?" Xiao Xia simply ignored the angry glare she'd been given, "Why? Because you rarely go out and meet anybody. Do you think the guy next to you in your lectures knows your name and that you actually exist? You never talked to him?!"

"I didn't think I was his type ………"

Xiao Xia laughed hoarsely.

"Truly, sometimes I don't know what to say ……… If I didn't like you that much ………" She didn't finish her sentence, but continued to drink the last bit of her tea. "Anyway, something needs to be done about this", she continued fiercely, pointing at Kagome's throat.

"I cannot just ……… throw it away. You don't know how much it means to me. I went through so much to get this ……… We went through so much to get this ………", her last remarks died on her lips, so that Xiao wasn't able understand a word, but it didn't appear as if she would have cared anyway.

"You believe me, when I'm saying you can trust me and that I worry about you?"

Kagome nodded gravely and heaved a deep sigh in reply to her best friend's inquiry. She knew where this was going. And Xiao would, at one point or another, get her will. But the raven-haired girl just didn't feel this was the moment. She let go of the jewel, which formed a strange-looking bump under her jumper.

"Leave me a bit more time. I guess someday I'll be able to put this away. Give this someone as a present or to just throw it away. Give me", a few more centuries, a voice from within completed, "just a bit more time."

At first, it appeared as if Xiao wasn't satisfied with the answer, but she managed to transform her doubtful facial features into an understanding smile.

"You might not believe me, when listening to this, but ……… I experienced the very same thing as you did."

Kagome went rigid in shock. What? Had she at one point given away too much? Of her time travels, Sengoku Jidai? Sango, Miroku, Shippou, Inu Yasha?

"I, too, lost someone close to me. I guess I never even talked to you about it." The usually calm and collected exterior of the woman that still looked quite young and cheery for a twenty-three-year-old was disfigured by weary wrinkles and lines that spoke of honest and a rare openness she barely offered.

"Why do you think I lost - "

"You don't keep this because it's pretty, Kago-chan", Xiao's voice sounded strangely drained, "but it keeps reminding you of someone you know ……… you probably cared for greatly ……… of someone you've now been separated."

Shock, surprise and interest prevented the words from entirely sinking in. Or else Kagome would have probably spilled a cascade of tears. Or worse. Broken down. Spilled the milkshake. And such. Her eyes were locked with those of her Chinese friend and she practically hung on her lips.

"Long ago ……… not important really. It's just ……… there was something that could have kept him from suffering from the fate he did. I could have helped him, but also couldn't."

Kagome blinked confusedly, indicating that Xiao Xia wasn't making any sense.

"As I said. Stuff happens. Stuff gets lost. Not important really. But probably important to you. Don't let your sanity be devoured by events you cannot turn back, you cannot undo. It may sound sheepish, but ……… time does heal all wounds in the end." She took another random sip from her milkshake, before raising her head to face Kagome again.

"I hope I've helped you ……… a bit at least."

The girl awarded her with a grateful smile, carefully concealing her true thoughts. She appreciated Xiao's gentleness and understanding, and she was probably even right. But sorrow cannot be eradicated just like that. It passes. It withers. But it never disappears. At least it did that for Kagome. And she doubted time would manage to defeat the remaining scars.

She shook her head. That was highly unlikely. But her friend had meant well. That was all that mattered. To her. At least for now.

"Thanks, Xiao-chan. I do appreciate it. Anyway, I should probably be going - "

"Don't forget about the project. I'd be a very unhappy cookie, if you did so." All profound thoughts and openly displayed emotions seemed to have disappeared, as the slight redhead put on yet another of her playfully serious expressions.

"Law can wait. Whenever I meet you, it needs to be happy with being second priority", Kagome laughed, earning herself a peeved look in return, before being awarded with a cheery chuckle.

"Well, see ya around, hun. Take care." As if having awaited her cue, Xiao stood up, leaving enough visible cash ( plus the additional tip ) on the table for the waiter to pick up. Before turning around to head for her apartment, she gave Kagome a reassuring hug with wonderfully helpful words such "Think positive", "Keep it up" and the like.

Kagome felt it was time for her now, too, for there was actually a law project waiting to be finished, or better: perfected as Xiao used to put it. Sometimes, when forgetting about the distress she'd gone through at home, she didn't know why she decided to go live in Tokyo with the intention of studying law. Law! Of all things she'd picked the one subject that appeared to be so dull ……… so dry ……… so unKagome-like. Did that support her schizophrenia in any way? However, whenever her thoughts returned to the shrine and her family, she would suddenly become very much aware of her motives and the reasons that had made her do this. Never in the world would she want to become a miko. She'd assumed it to be the profession she'd been destined for, but there were also many other things she'd considered to be destiny ……… and they hadn't worked out the way she'd planned.

Her wandering thoughts kept her occupied, as her feet carelessly paved the way before her, not really caring which direction to take. There were many paths that lead to Rome.

She'd always considered the shrine and the well to be the capital. She was mistaken.

Whose mistake it was, nobody could entirely say in the end. Was it the traffic light that flashed green too early? Or the driver that was in an immense hurry? Probably also Kagome who'd not managed to turn her attention towards the road and the cars, thus aimlessly wandering about, proposing to be a perfect target.

What could be said was that guardian angels existed.

Or horrific twists of fate. Either one worked for Kagome.

The screeching, hardly bearable sound of challenged brakes and the chainless screaming of voices came to her ears, as she finally raised her head only to see a blood red Porsche coming exactly her way ……… her direction ……… It was a frail, pale body that was composed of flesh and veins and soft organs against the metal of a roaring machine. Even though she'd fought youkais in the past, had learned to fight off dangers that would have introduced her to hell ( in the better cases! ), was capable of using purifying arrows, she still did not know how to withstand one of the most prized possessions of mankind.

If people had asked her and if she'd had the chance, she would have been able to confirm the beliefs that life did pass before your very eyes, when you faced death. Every tiny moment, be it blissful or hated, condensed in a millisecond of one's existence. An encouraging feeling.

She smiled. Blissfully.

Inu Yasha. I'm coming home.

"What the - GET OUT OF THE WAY!!"

The cold and painful sensation of blood and stone in her mouth caught up with the disillusioned girl, that had expected to wake up in paradise ……… or at least something close to it. She tasted iron and warmth on her tongue instead; and felt disgust causing her slender shoulders to shudder. Her fingers carefully examined her bruised lips, becoming covered by red liquid in the process.

"What on earth are you THINKING?! Do you think at all?! Is there something in your little skull that deserves the description 'brain'!"

As hard and as arctic as the accusations sounded - they didn't stop Kagome from scrutinising her index finger. She was bleeding. Bleeding to death?

No. That would probably be too easy. She raised her head with an angry glare. The girl felt the necessity to face the one that had dared to interrupt her intentions in coming together with Inu Yasha again. Who would have the guts to do so -

Inu Yasha?

~~*~*~~

"Inu Yasha?" Her fading voice trembled, as she managed to whisper the name she hadn't spelled out for over two years. She couldn't prevent her tone from breaking slightly and her face represented nothing but shock ……… terror ……… disbelief.

She gave the boy a petrified look and tried to force the little voice in her head to speak louder: 'It isn't him. It couldn't possibly be him. He's gone. He's dead ………'. It was a little late to admit it, but suddenly Kagome could perfectly understand the way, Inu Yasha must have felt, when he'd seen her for the first time.

Her eyes wandered over the individual that stood before her and gave the most ugly stare he could muster with the help of his golden, brilliant orbs. Golden, brilliant orbs ……… they perfectly suited the flowing mane of white hair, cascading down to his hip and which would have looked absolutely ludicrous on any man she knew, but not on Inu Yasha. He looked perfect with it. Always did.

"Inu Yasha", she mouthed again, this time a bit louder and with greater determination. Her heart was close to being split into a thousand pieces at least. A thousand pieces like the shikon no tama. The jewel. Their jewel. The jewel Inu Yasha had give her - as a sign.

"Inu Yasha, why ……… what? How?" Tears started to well up in her deep brown eyes, as she continued to watch the hanyou before her ……… who was clothed in strange attire, she needed to admit. It looked, as if he'd forced himself to look as 'up-to-date' as possible. But that did not matter. He obviously didn't know how to dress appropriately, but he came from the past - how should he know? The questions, which would have been necessary to ask such as 'Where did he get the clothes from?' but more importantly 'What had happened?' didn't come to her mind and the turmoil that boiled within her.

"I saw you die", she whispered hoarsely, a lonely tear wandering down to her chin. Many more were still to follow, "here. In my arms", she continued quietly, not understanding the raised eyebrows the person awarded her with.

"Do insane asylums exist in 21st century Japan?"

Kagome was taken by complete and utter surprise. She hadn't exactly expected that as an answer.

"Maybe I should have just let you get rolled over by that thing. Then I would have spared myself this hassle. Anyway, I gotta go." Inu Yasha - or the Inu Yasha-look-alike, a mean voice in her head whispered - intended to turn around and leave without another word.

After all they'd been through. The adventures, the laughs, the tears - five hundred years.

He was going?!

"Inu Yasha, why are - "

"I don't know who the hell you're talking about and why you persist on calling me 'Inu Yasha' - quite a dumb name, anyway, if you ask me, but my name's Yume, if you'd like to know, even though I don't have a freaking clue just who on earth you are!"

This time at least he didn't intend to walk away, but place a strategically valuable glare on her. Kagome felt it increasingly difficult to bear.

Yume?

Freaking clue?

Inu Yasha?

So, it wasn't him after all?

She'd never felt so horribly stupid in her entire life. Here she was, sitting on the cold pavement, being looked at by interested and snickering passers-by, but more importantly: by a perfect Inu Yasha-look-alike.

Yes, this was too much for her bear.

But it was so Inu Yasha. The eyes, the hair, the ears, the - wait a minute. Kagome got up, approaching the older teen, which intended to back away in disgust, but was confronted with the sensation of the brick wall of a building, comforting his back.

His ears ……… were human.

Kagome reached out, wanting to touch and rub them like she'd done so many times before, but Yume proved to be a bit quicker, even though it was a close call, and got hold of her wrists, preventing her from going any further.

"Nooo touchy", he exclaimed seriously, "Just what do you think you're doing?"

Kagome didn't feel offended at all; instead she turned her interest towards the presented hands, thus frustrating the boy even more.

"What is it with you?! Why do you keep fumbling around? Are you always like that?"

No ……… his hands were normal. No claws or other dog-like advantageous. Perfectly human.

"Listen, girl, if you keep on doing that, I need to call the ……… what is it? police - or slap you! And I hate to do either of them."

"Where do you come from?" Kagome inquired, turning her attention back on the boy's facial features, who looked at her in utter confusion and ……… insecurity.

"From ……… far away. Quite far, if you'd like to know." He wasn't even lying, when saying this.

"How far? Which town? Will you attend uni here?"

"Very far ……… the name I forgot ……… and, err ……… yes, probably. Now, let me sort things out."

Again the boy, who called himself Yume, intended to turn around and just leave, but Kagome hadn't finished with him yet. In fact, she would probably not let him go ……… ever.

"Where are you going?"

"Home."

"I thought your home was far, far away."

"Keh, whatever. Just trying to get away from you."

"Only tell me what you want here and where you're intending to go."

"If you must know: I'm looking for something; and again, if you absolutely need to know", he suddenly turned very quiet, "I don't really know." His voice adopted a tiny shade of softness, as he let the last statement sink in completely.

"You ……… don't know ………? But why is that?"

"Had a long, tiring journey. Must have screwed up my brain somehow ………" he sighed wearily.

"I'll probably be damned to walk around like a mindless lunatic", he gave her another pointed look, "but it seems, as if that's a regular sight to the streets of Tokyo."

Kagome preferred to ignore the last statement, for she didn't want to scare the Inu Yasha-look-alike away. There was more she needed to know about him. More she needed to digest.

"Any ideas as to where you left off? Any clues? Something you're carrying perhaps?"

Yume emitted a doubtful sigh, considering Kagome to indeed be a victim of gruesome lobotomy.

"Sorry, it's not as easy as that. I wish it were though. But - why am I telling you all this?! That's nothing for your ears!" He suddenly exclaimed, wanting to tear his arm away, which Kagome firmly held captive.

"Maybe a cup of Chinese Tea is going to ease your worries", she decided, already going off in the direction her apartment was - being accompanied by the one arm that is.

Yume was surprised as to how strong the feeble-looking woman actually appeared to be. Maybe she had a few more surprises in storage.

And if he'd been able to foresee the future, he would have realised how close to the truth he actually was.

"And just where is it? Your apartment I mean", Yume added quickly, while being violently dragged along the street.

"Just round the corner. Not far. Three ……… two ……… one - that door over there."

Kagome pointed in the direction of a small skyscraper-like building, which had been built for the students only. She'd never really felt that much at home. There wasn't enough space in Tokyo. Not the space she'd loved at the shrine and in Sengoku Jidai. Everything was crowded at all times: Night, day. Nothing of this mattered really. As long as there were people, something was still going on. It stirred the slight feeling of shallowness, even though she still loved the Japanese capital, the people and her opportunities.

The girl sighed. It had never been her world. Her world was unreachable and closed. So, this was all she could take.

Surprisingly, the two had been the only ones around. Usually, the place seemed to burst with eager students and cheery sprites, which were to share their successes with everyone present. Those that wanted to hear ……… and those that didn't. Kagome and Yume managed it up to the second floor, where the law student's apartment was, and she believed it to be quite demanding to hold the key and to turn it at the same time. The repetitive trembling kept her from doing so.

"Let me do it", Yume interrupted, taking the bundle of keys out of the confused girl's hands, before skilfully choosing the one that was needed and turning it into the appropriate place, causing a loud 'knack' to fill the stairways.

"See. You're getting far too excited over too much", he answered with a weird, playful grin, before being the first to enter the apartment. Kagome would have probably nudged him in the side, demanding an excuse, even if he claimed he did not know her, but she was far to occupied to stare at the key Inu Yasha had just learned to use and turn. When had he gotten to know that? There are usually paper walls and pushing doors in the Sengoku Jidai, aren't there?

But her inner voice needed to remind her of the fact that this was Yume, standing in front of her, not Inu Yasha. To Kagome that didn't make a difference.

"You said something 'bout Chinese tea, isn't that right ……… err - "

"Kagome." Kagome replied thoughtfully.

"I did. Take a seat in the common/ sleeping/ something room and make yourself comfortable. I'll be back in a second ……… with tea."

Yume's cocky attitude had vanished to be replaced with interest, as he didn't sit down, but carefully analysed her furniture and taste. She could occasionally hear an 'O' or 'Ah' or 'Eww', as she occupied the kitchenette in order to make tea for her guest and herself. Whenever a noise would come out of the direction of the boy, she would turn her head and see herself being confronted with someone that could be nobody but Inu Yasha. Still, it wasn't him.

Was that how Inu Yasha had felt, when seeing her for the first time, while he was still being pinned to the Goshinboku by Kikyou's purifying arrow? Was this the final evidence that was required to be able to prove that history did repeat itself?

A slightly different noise that came out of the common room caused the girl to jump in surprise.

"Ah, damnit ………"

"What happened?"

"Feh, nothing." Her gaze fell on the finger, Yume quickly tried to hide behind his back.

"But you're bleeding - what did you do again?"

"I said nothing."

Kagome stormed over to the desk and noticed a small spot of blood on the bony dagger that was adorned by carved, stilted embroidery.

"What kind of a creepy thing is this anyway?"

The girl carefully brushed over the weapon, cleaning it with her sleeve, before smiling at it apologetically.

"It was a present. From a very good friend."

Kagome turned to look at her guest, absent-mindedly placing the youkai extermination dagger back where it'd been before. Besides having experienced the traumatising incident of being covered with Yume's blood, it was still in perfectly good shape.

"Anyway, maybe you should fight the urge to keep everything secluded and tell me a bit more about you. That way it's probably a lot easier to find an answer to your problems." She offered a gentle smile, but her discussion counterpart just crossed his arms, before letting himself fall on the couch with a loud 'thumb'.

"There is nothing to know about me. I'm here. A little confused. Wandering about. That's all. I don't exactly see where your problem is?"

"It's not me, who's having the problem, but you. I perfectly know who and where I am and what I do."

"And what is it that you do?" He wanted to know, a wide grin capturing his lips, exposing pearly white teeth, which had nothing in common with fangs.

The girl felt she needed to pause. If she was being honest ……… she didn't know. Study law? Meet friends - correction: meet a friend! Despair over having lost her dearest companions? All stuff she felt the guy shouldn't be bothered with.

"I guess that's my personal business. It was you who sought help - "

Yume jumped up in response, but if it was due to her statement or the shattering of the window - that would never be revealed. Could possibly never be revealed.

Kagome was being showered in tiny, sharp, snowflake-like shards, that bejewelled her black hair like glittering pearls. Fear washed over her, as she felt she would probably lose an eye or two; or at least ending up covered in severe scratches, as the strong grip of somebody's arm threw her behind the couch and wrapped her in something similar to a jumper. Loud shouts could be heard, screaming about the room, which was the second time for today already. Every step the intruders made, Kagome could even sense as a heavy detonation in her cheekbones. It was then that she became aware of Yume wrapping his arm around her face. But it was only for a short, fleet moment, before he got up, in fighting stance. Kagome soon followed, even though her movements, as opposed to her rude rescuer, were still controlled by shock.

She could spot a handful of masked, unrecognisable individuals entering her apartment through the window in fluid jumps. It was impossible to make out their faces or anything spectacular about their bodies, for they were all clothed in black cat suits.

Kagome stayed glued to the ground, as Yume readied his attack, aiming for somebody who was daring to come too close to his half-made cup of Chinese Tea in the kitchenette.

Right ……… the poor heroine needs protection and her rescuer heads for his drink.

The girl felt she was definitely in the wrong movie. And definitely shocked stiff.

"Oi", a dark, hoarse voice tried to get Kagome's attention. To her all those intruders looked the same and she only perceived the scenery as a horrible blur.

"You Higurashi Kagome?" The mentioned adult barely managed to nod. But it could have also been mistaken for a strong tremble. Things were not going well. Not at all.

"I'm here to demand the shikon no tama of you."

No words could have possibly described the following, rising tension. It was as if Kagome had been able to slice it with a knife, or even with a pen.

"The shikon, but ……… how - ?"

What did these people want from her and her jewel? How could they know about it? This was absolutely impossible ……… This was a dream, right? She'd wake up ……… in just a moment.

"Oi, girl."

Kagome recognised the tone. This time it didn't belong to one of the evil, dark minions ( she realised how well that description suited ), but Yume.

"You had the shikon all along?! I was wandering past you and you actually had it?!"

Okay, this was too much for poor, little Kagome. Even the cold sensation of the so desperately desired ball, soothing the hot skin of her collarbone, did not prevent her from going rigid.

This was no dream. This was a nightmare!

But she'd more than once risked her life for the pink marble. They would not get it now. Whoever these maniacs were. Including the bad Inu Yasha-look-alike.

"Come and get it, if you dare."

var PUpage="76001070"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001070&l=NE&b=1&t=109117 0865';yviR='us';yfiEA(0); geovisit();